How do you teach kids about periods?

How did you explain or discuss the monthly dragon, aunt flow, red carpet to your daughter? Also, if you have sons, do you plan or have you discussed the same with them? I want to find a way that is easy to explain to my daughter about the cycle. I had to watch a video my mom never discussed with me. But I also want to educate my boys, so they understand why their sister is going through what she is.

67 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-do-you-teach-kids-about-periods/11598

Just do it. Check an anatomy if you have to. Do not make it a big deal

I told my son the mechanics of it but I also use the term blood pillows so what do I know lol

4 Likes

Iā€™m just a very open and honest person. My bonus kids (1 boy, 2 girls age 11,10 & 8) know ALL about it. While on the subject, I toss in some facts about the boys puberty as well. Since Iā€™m so open and nonchalant about it, they know when Iā€™m on my period and why Iā€™m not feeling well. Every month, it seems we use that time to have quick chats and for them to ask questions. Itā€™s a natural thing that happens with the body. No need to sugar coat it.

12 Likes

I got my daughter American girl books. It talks bout the body

2 Likes

I just told the truth. My eldest is 6 and he knows about periods afyer asling me what a tampon was. Not a big deal. Its just a period

1 Like

Tell them the scientific wayā€¦ That way when they have biology it will all make sense

4 Likes

I just tell them facts using all the literal/scientific names for everything.

ā€œOnce a month when girls get a certain age their uterus (where a mommy carries a baby) sheds itā€™s lining and comes out through the vaginaā€¦.and whatever elseā€

Our youngest boy is 6 and even he knows. We had a woman start her period at our house and they knew what to do to help her and didnā€™t make a big deal out of the fact there was blood on her pants etc. my middle son (7) quietly told her and got her a towelšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Natural body stuff shouldnā€™t be embarrassing to talk about in my opinion. We have a very open door policy for questions and itā€™s been amazing for us.

Contact your local library. They are a great resource.

Keep it to the point. Thatā€™s what I always do. Your kids will learn more, and respect you more for it when theyā€™re older. I would just be like, so once you hit a certain age, you become a woman. Which means, you start your period, then explain what that is and what to expect. Hormone changes, attitude changes, semi voice changes, BODY CHANGES. I will absolutely be telling my boys, so they can respect women and know itā€™s a natural part of life and thatā€™s why weā€™re all on this god given earth in the first place.

1 Like

My oldest already knows about it (sheā€™s almost 5) because she asks questions and I answer honestly. Her little sister is unaware because sheā€™s 2 and Iā€™m almost 30 weeks pregnant so itā€™s been awhile since Iā€™ve even had one. Itā€™s just normal life so itā€™s never been a big deal. Same with other basic anatomy things I just tell them what theyā€™re called and what they mean

Since I never got to go to the bathroom by myself, this sort of took care of itself. I think the main thing is to make sure they donā€™t think youā€™re hurt.

1 Like

Honesty is the best policy. :woman_shrugging: I have been very straight forward with my daughter about periods and bodily functions for a long time. Even the fact that when breasts start to develop it can be painful as well.

1 Like

Schools teach it at least here which help me

Girl talks are a big deal for growing ladies. Keep it subtle and clear as well as open for her to come back with questions in a trusting manner.

2 Likes

My sons (3 ages 7 5 and 2) donā€™t understand the word privacy and thereā€™s no lock on the bathroom door (old house, havenā€™t gotten around to it).
They kept asking why I was bleeding so I quite literally told them ā€œitā€™s the inside of my uterus falling out. Iā€™m fine it just happensā€. Then they asked me what a uterus is and I just said ā€œthatā€™s where mommies keep their babiesā€ they seems satisfied and left me alone until the next month when my 5yo announced ā€œmommies baby maker is falling againā€! :joy:

17 Likes

I really didnā€™t have to explain anything to my kids. They would always follow me in the bathroom and would see me changing my pads. Theyā€™ve always known what it was from toddler age. Iā€™ve also been a single mother most of their lives. Now my daughter is nearly 13 and sheā€™s had her period for just over a year. My son is 11 and he knows what a period is.

2 Likes

I use correct terms and explain exactly what happens. My sons 13 and hes known for years

Mine, twins, boy and girl, are 7 and they know about it. Iā€™m a single mom. They barged in the bathroom one day when I was changing a pad. I told them that once women get older, itā€™s just a natural thing. At first it scared them because I was bleeding. I said itā€™s just like a bandaid I put in my underwear because it happens once a month. They got used to it and didnā€™t question it. Sometimes when it happens theyā€™ll bring me the ā€œbandaidā€ because they know it serves the purpose. They want to help me. They donā€™t quite understand the concept. But itā€™s normal to them. My parents always shamed me for it and made fun of me. Iā€™m teaching them that thatā€™s normal. Someday, when my son has a girlfriend, heā€™ll know itā€™s nothing to be grossed out by, and help her. When it happens to my daughter, she wonā€™t feel ashamed and know we are here to help.

5 Likes

I told my daughter straight up everything about it when she was about 8 so she knew before it happened to her. My mom didnā€™t tell us so we thought we were dying when my sister started.

1 Like

Iā€™m very honest, they seen me go to the bathroom to grab supplies when we where going out one time and they had questions when they where small so it wasnā€™t new and was a natural. My spouse is very supportive as well and we answer any questions they have (age appropriate though).

My mom handed me a paper sack with a book about periods and a menstral belt and very long pads. My brother was more helpful. He is still one of my favorite people.

I was just honest and upfront with my daughter and explained the changes with puberty too. I told her if she had questions she can ask anytime.

I just told my daughters that theyā€™re gonna go through puberty and their gonna get boobs and hair and that theyā€™re gonna start bleeding. But make sure youā€™re honest. You can call it Aunt Flo or whatever term you want to use but make sure you explain whatā€™s gonna happen so she doesnā€™t get scared when it does happen.

My daughter has always known, sheā€™s 8yo now. I also bought her the book itā€™s not the stork which is a great introduction to puberty in general. Iā€™m pregnant with a boy and I want him to always know as well. I just want it to be a normal body function.

Factual ā€¦do not use weird code words. Keep it simple and easy.

1 Like

My oldest is 5 and she asked me and i told her Iā€™d explain it to her when she was a little bit older to understand. Weā€™re honest with her and we talk to her like an adult.

Be a lot more honest with your daughter than your boys(at least until theyā€™re older). I was in 5th grade when aunt flow started and I wasnā€™t preparedā€¦I just remember going to the bathroom and then telling my teacher to call my mom because I didnā€™t know what was going on. I honestly donā€™t remember ever getting the talk from momā€¦my son on the other hand(whose 9 now)has walked in a few times growing up and asked about tampons and My response has always been the sameā€¦ā€something youā€™ll never have to worry about or use. Itā€™s something for girls only.ā€ But boys mature slower and in my opinion heā€™s too young to understand about the female reproductive systemā€¦it wonā€™t be long until heā€™s entering puberty himself. Once heā€™s a little bit older heā€™ll get the talk and any questions he has will be answered.

My daughterā€™s 7, and last year she wanted to know why I bleed, so I told her that each month a thicker skin grows inside my uterus, and yes she know what the uterus is since she was like 4, and I told her that when thereā€™s no baby inside the uterus that skin has to come out, and the bleeding is that skin coming out and thatā€™s it, I told her it happens to all women, and she asked when that would happen to her and I said that everyone starts at a different age, that I started around 12, and she said ā€œwooh, so itā€™s not gonna happen to me anytime soonā€ and she left hahahaha, I mean why lie? Itā€™s completely normal

My 6 year old knows what it is and why. Just tell them.

I talked to my daughter and explained to her what happens to females and told her it would happen to her soon because I didnt want her to be worried or scared if it happened in school. I also taught her how to use a pad before it came so if she was in school she didnt have to go to the school nurse . And my son learned because my dog had her period and I had to explain to him why. Iā€™m completely honest and answer any questions they ask about it.

2 Likes

Let them know thear body has to perdyce eggs and they have to come out every month so they can have babies when they get older

What age do we usually have the period talk with our girls since we are on the topic? My daughter (only child) is 5 and have not prepared myself for when puberty begins.

1 Like

I told my daughters about their periods when they were 8 or 9. We mentioned it over the years and talked about puberty. Even w my son, ive told him what i know about make puberty lol. The basics ig. What to expect. They were nervous but reassured them its normal and everyone goes through it. My mom didnt tell me anything i learned all on my own. But i want my children to be informed

My 6yr old son has already asked questions about it. He has been in the bathroom while I am changing my pad and asked why. Iā€™ve explained, generally, what it was and why girls have periods. I doubt that he will remember but I want my boys to be understanding when they get older. I want them to help a girl out instead of laugh or be intimidated when the subject is brought up. I believe if you make it common knowledge, it wonā€™t be that big of a deal. Just like why I refer to body parts as the correct term so it doesnā€™t seem so weird as they get older.

1 Like

When my mom finally talked to me about it I knew what it was because we had been taught about it in school in 5th grade

I decided to have the talk with my daughter when our dog was in heat & I bought doggie diapers for her. My daughter asked me why was the dog wearing a diaper, & it was the perfect opening for the discussion. Maybe alittle unorthodox, but it broke the ice. Lol. Then I was l straight with her and explained how our cycle works. She started about a year later, & was prepared. I suggest being straight & honest, & be prepared for alot of questions. Cause we all know it can be scary.

My kids all learned about it during potty training. When they were learning, they would follow me to the bathroom, and a simple " oops, Iā€™m bleeding! Ya, sometimes grownup women bleed down there. It tells me that there is no baby in my belly! " I normalized it, even with my boys. My 5 year old son knows about it. My 8 year old daughter knows it will happen to her one day. My 12 year old boy understands more as he is older and is learning about sex ed, reproduction and such.

My mother had died right before mine,it was really hard trying to tell my father about it and what to go get me,I WILL NEVER FORGET IT!

Mom of boys here, they followed me into the potty because well theyā€™re kids lol I was very blunt explained everything from why we bleed, where it comes from to it stops when a baby is present. We even went over types of period products. My oldest is 10 now and I remind him very casually :woman_shrugging:t2: I want him to grow up like his daddy not finding it weird or gross but instead never being embarrassed to run and grab some options for his partner or being understanding when waking up to a leaking partner.

Edit to add: we also have an open body policy meaning we have had open scientific approach conversations about bodily functions from why we poop to erections. We feel the more we educate the less the mystery for them to search out on their own.

How have you managed to hide it from a child over 2? When my oldest was 3 we were walking into a public restroom and in front of a room full of people she said Mommy is your pee pee still bleeding? I sheepishly said yes. She then said mom I hope you get a baby in there soon so it stops :joy:. I had told her that mommies bodies get ready for a baby every month but when theres no baby your body bleeds to get ready for a new baby next month. Simplicity. Now sheā€™s 10 and knows everything about it. Just keep it honest and in words they understand.

7 Likes

They usually learn about it in school, i think around 4th grade.my 11 yr old grandson was so relieved when he asked his mom about it and she told him no he wasnt getting a period.lol.kids are so funny.

I bought my daughter the books the care and keeping of you 1 and 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1609580834/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_EZKXPWHQDT9RDQAWPKFV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1609580427/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DE8WMJFSJXKCDZ2JPZT4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

These books and open conversations

3 Likes

Weā€™ve 2 girls and 3 boys still at home we have always been very open and just had basic age appropriate but frank discussions about everything. We coupons so weā€™re always getting pads for the girls so they were available for them to explore before actually needing them. My daughters cycle started it was seemless. Now she chooses her own pads. Same with the boys for body care shower gel, hair care, deodorant and cologne. Keep it simple make it simple and theyā€™ll be fine.

I taught my daughters from day dot
Explain its very normal
Explain the hormones
& how the body works :slightly_smiling_face:

I sat all 3 of my kids down at the same time (2 girls 1 boy) talked about the differences between boys and girls physically and drew simple pictures while discussing how their bodies change from child to adult. Super basic information using proper names. As they got older I gave more detail. But I did explain girls can get pregnant before they have their first period if they have sex, and once they have periods they can get pregnant. I also explained what sex is and that it takes a male and female to make a baby. I also said there are ways to prevent pregnancy the best one being not having sex. When they wetter a little older i taught them about birth control. You can also contact the local health department or planned parenthood for pamphlets and recommend educational materials.

Because of covid my twins didnā€™t get to watch the video in school with the nurse. She sent home the link she normally uses. I watched it with my girls and then answered all their questions(they didnā€™t have to many) I was just very open about everything. I put it off for months not wanting to and to be honest it wasnā€™t as bad as I envisioned. I think I just wasnā€™t ready for them to be so grown being my oldest kiddos. Try googling ā€œalways changing and growing up.ā€ Itā€™s on YouTube. I quickly just googled it because I couldnā€™t remember the link and found they have three different ones. One for boys, one for girls and coed. Our nurse sent the coed version and I think that one was fine. Maybe take a look for yourself first and make sure youā€™re OK with it, but I honestly think itā€™s a great starting point.

Sex, Puberty, and All That Stuff : A Guideā€¦
by Jacqui Bailey itā€™s a good book to read to boys

I was 13 when my mom died and started my period about three months after and honestly my aunt just sat down and talked to me about everything. Explained what a pad is and how to put it on and explained what tampons are. My dad sat down with me when I started and told me it was natural. My guy best friend was educated on it and actually saved me from being embarrassed when I had bled through my pants !!

2 Likes

I explained to my oldest when she was 10 about periods. I told her that all girls have them. That you release an egg which is called ovulation and if that egg doesnā€™t get fertilized then your uterus sluffs off and you bleed for 3-6 days give or take

My son is 8 my daughter is 4. We talk in general terms now about puberty and how their bodies will change. I want for my children to be comfortable with such topics so any questions or concerns can be discussed. As they get older more details will be given. I want both children to be comfortable with menstruation and all that comes with it, so my boy can grow up and offer support to his partner and for my daughter to expect the same from hers.

1 Like

I have two girls, 13 and 15. They knew about it before I got the chance cause of other girls. If you have your period I recommend discussing it as it happens openly to her. I never hid mine from my girls so they wouldnā€™t feel uncomfortable talking about theirs. I felt uncomfortable talking about mine when I got it cause I was only 9 and my mom went from no talk to invasive. So I wanted to make sure they didnā€™t feel like that.

My daughter is 9 almost 10 I bought her the care and keeping of you and another book called the period book. Iā€™ve talked to her about periods since she was 7 or 8 but just recently within the last few months bought the books. Sheā€™s been reading them and come to me with any questions and we talk about it. My son is only 6 but he knows very basic info but we will talk more as he gets older

So, here was my method. Because my daughter always had to go to the bathroom with me since crawling stage, I was always honest with her. We would discuss it when I was on. I would show her how to properly put on a pad and we practiced and if she asked questions, I answered to the best of my ability. Since it was something we often discussed and practiced, she was prepared. She has a small bag that sheā€™s added to her bag that she takes with her that holds her pads. She knew exactly what to do and wasnā€™t afraid as she had seen it many times before with me and knew that all females go through it and it was normal but not to be discussed with anyone else unless it was necessary. My daughter comes to me openly because Iā€™m open with her.

2 Likes

Well with my oldest it started pretty young (constantly following me in the bathroom and asking questions) I gave the best age appropriate responses. Yes I am bleeding from my vagina. Someday you will too. Itā€™s normal, itā€™s ok.
Now that she is showing signs of early puberty I have told her in more medical terms what will soon be happening to her, how and why. We picked out pads together and I showed her how they are to be used. We also have a ā€œgo bagā€ ready for her when it happens.
She knows my door is always open if she has questions and for when it starts.
While I donā€™t have boys my nephews have also been explained these things by their mom so they know whatā€™s up. Our kids are being taught that this a perfectly natural part of life and nothing to be ashamed of or grossed out about.

Talk to her about openly and use correct wording. Set up the right expectations and assure her there is nothing ā€œdirtyā€ or ā€œwrongā€ about having her period. Teach the same to your sons so they donā€™t grow up to be the types that are embarrassed and grossed out of their partners having their periods. Teach them it is a natural process and what it means.

2 Likes

I had mine watch ā€œCarrieā€ :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

There is a book in the childrenā€™s section called your body and you? Wonderful book as it covers a lot of issues that our children face.

I sat my now 13 year old down an told her plus my 7 year old there is books out that can help you out as well

We live on a farm and have animals. So our kids see their dogs bleed- humans do the same :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I never had a moment of peace and quiet in the bathroom, I had all their questions answered long before they began their periods :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

My sons are 9/7 autistic stated the sec talk with the eldest and some of treats period talk but just real basic x

I explained to my boys at a young age that the main purpose of my uterus is to house a growing baby. And when I donā€™t have one my body cleans the house once a month. My boys are very sympathetic to women in this regard and have even given young women hoodies and such to cover leaks. :pleading_face: Now they get me chocolate and the heating pad when I start getting cranky. :joy:

9 Likes

I taught my daughter as soon as she was age appropriate to learn about it, I on the other hand wasnā€™t told ANYTHING and had the most frightening experience ever!

I sensed that my daughter would get her period before they had the talk at school. One day I simply sat her down, casually, in her room and was pretty frank. Remembering that it was an awkward conversation at that age, I made sure she knew I totally got that it was a uncomfortable conversation to have.
I simply said that I had noticed she was getting boobs and some fuzz under her arms, etc and I wanted her to know that something else would soon happen and I didnā€™t want her to freak out about it. I said that it probably sounds really weird, and maybe even gross, but itā€™s absolutely normalā€¦I explained that she may go to wipe one day and there would be blood. It could be a tiny amount or a lot, but to not worry EVERY girl gets it at some point or another. I explained that itā€™s the start of the process of her being able to have babies one day. ā€œBut what if I sing want babies!ā€ I explained that itā€™s just one step in the very big process and she would make that deciding for herself.
I went on to say that if it were to happen at school, she could grab the kit I made for her (change of underwear and panty linersā€¦ theyā€™d be enough for a first period). It would always be in her backpack, so she could even use it if she was at her dadā€™s. I explained that she could call me if she needed.
I seriously made it sorry if a silly conversation, which is not what I intended but it worked.
CONFESSION: this very conversation was the reason I never wanted daughters. After that conversation I was like ā€œI got this!ā€

My daughters new about periods since they were about 2 an always followed me to the bathroom so they saw me changing an the blood when u wipe an I always talked to them so when my oldest started at 12 last year she already new what to do now my youngest is 5 now but she knows all bout it as well Iā€™m a single mom so I tell as it is

2 Likes

My mom bought me the book ā€œthe whatā€™s happening to my body book for girlsā€ when I was about 11ish. It explained in very plain understandable language the effects of puberty and basic human anatomy and reproduction. My mom and I discussed anything I wasnā€™t understanding.

I am a fan of the monthly dragon phrase

1 Like

I bought a book published by the company that makes American Girl dolls. I cannot remember the title. It was very informative at easy enough for her to read on her own. She slipped through chapters, but I answered any questions she had.

This is an excellent book to explain about how our body changes ā€¦ for both boys and girls.

1 Like

Just tell her brothers its a hormonal thing and that her moods/feelings are a result of her girl time of the month which lasts for 5-7 days a month.
This explanation would work for her as well but maybe a little more explaining about reproductionā€¦no big deal and just let it beā€¦

1 Like

Seriously just be honest with them.

1 Like

Start early with facts and answer any questions truthfully. Donā€™t use cute words either as that can be confusing. This is going to lead to questions and conversations so make sure you are prepared with facts and donā€™t be afraid to say idk letā€™s check on it.

I sat down on the bathroom floor with my daughter and got out some pads and just explained very calm and casual what happens. Then she asked some questions. It went well.

I have never hid it from my daughter.

1 Like

The way i explained it to my girls 3&6 was that its something that happens when youre body is becoming a woman, its so if you become pregnant, your baby has a nice comfy place to live for 9mos inside your tummy (and thatā€™s why its blood etc)ā€¦ but if there is no baby there, then it all has to come out. Then next month a new comfy spot gets made and so on.
They understood completely!

Call me crazy, but I just lay it all out scientifically and let them ask any questions they want :woman_shrugging:t2: itā€™s just a conversation.

1 Like

My daughter has known since she was about 2 or 3. Im very open with my kids about many things.

I think period education is SUPER important.

Like, I got mine out of nowhere and I was not prepared and soaked through my pants. Everyone saw. I was humiliated. Education and prep is important!

Also stress girl code. I HATE when I bleed and stain my pants and no one says shit to me :sob: like, make it okay to discreetly tell a woman she has a stain!!

Yes yes and yes discuss this with your sons. I may have a different parenting style to you as our sex Ed starts from nappies by using correct names for body parts and functions and is an open ongoing conversation from there. My little ones have know about periods since they were toddlers but my nappies are called pads tad embarrassing when my 3 year old asked loudly in the supermarket ā€œdo you need more pads mummy?ā€ But heyšŸ™‚ my teenage lad is very comfortable with periods and when he broke his arm had painkillers and quietly offered some to one of his friends who was having bad cramps. So proud of him. I also tell them when Iā€™m having mine so they are aware Iā€™m not running on all cylinders. My advice donā€™t make it a single talk make it an ok topic when Eva your at home in the car privately talking not the supermarket lol and if you make it an open discussion be prepared to answer all questions.

All kids are different. When my girls were little they were always following me into the bathroom and so saw some of it. But when they were about 5 and 7 I had a surgery and so I donā€™t get one anymore. When my daughter turned 10 I tried talking to her about it. But she wasnā€™t having it. Said she would learn in school. She was in 4 grade. Well then covid shut down the school and that talk never happened. I kept trying. Telling her it would be coming and she would walk away. I ordered her a couple books off Amazon about it and gave them to her. Donā€™t know if she ever looked at them. But then it happened. At Christmas. Still hadnā€™t had the talk in school. She knew what it was but was so upset. She came and got me and was crying. We talked about it and told her that all girls go through it. And showed her how to put a pad on. Talked about hygiene and how often to change it. And the importance of being clean and dry. She got it right after she turned 11. So young.

Iā€™m honest. My 5yo knows that when she gets older she will bleed from her vagina and itā€™s called a period. She also knows that girls need periods in order for eggs to release and to have babies. I would tell the same thing to my boy if I had one.

My girls are 3&5, we talk about it now. My son is 8, we also discuss this. We talk about puberty, birds and the bees.
Parents, talk to your kids. Donā€™t sugar coat it. Donā€™t leave it up to public school, tv, and random friends. Talk to your kids!!

https://courses.janellethe.com/fp-periods

my daughters (7 & 3) know that if I go yo the toilet itā€™s coz I have to get rid of an egg every month coz Iā€™m not pregnant, (I am pregnant atm so no bleeding lately)
then ur body makes another egg but if there if no help from a man then I will bleed again next month. n my son 8 knows the same to.

but I have also explained that people can have children with or without a manā€™s help too

I started my period at 9yo and knew nothing. I thought Iā€™d done something wrong. My kids were told earlyā€¦boy & girl ā€¦got an age appropriate booklet from the dr surgery and answered questions truthfully as they arose.
Keep it simple. Just tell them honest facts .

My to be 4 year old walks in ALL the time on me when Iā€™m in the bathroom aka no privacy being a momā€¦ he seen my pad and was like ā€œmommy is bleeding you have owes ā€œ I explained to him why girls and moms gets them. He might not fully understand which is ok ,theyā€™ll learn more and the more they get older. My mom wasnā€™t like that with me so I hope different with my kids. I want to be open with them than them being blind sided and just learning it from school. No.

Be straight forward and donā€™t use cute nicknames for body parts or menstruation. It makes kids feel awkward when their parents use funny names for something serious to them. Just be open and detailed

1 Like

Donā€™t be shy to call it a period to youā€™re daughter and son. Tell them spots can appear when they are due on
They can feel bloated
Hormonal happy sad etc
They need to shower daily.
Come to you if they have any question.
Tell the boys to be nice and offer to do 1 or 2 things when she has her period if she isnā€™t comfortable calling it a period come up with a code word that you know and understand and always make sure she has a pad in her bag wherever she goes to be safe and maybe you have one in youā€™re bag or in the car etcā€¦ stock up on chocolate and panadol hot water bottle comfy knickers etc take her shopping for her woman stuff and teach her about it. Best of luck xx

Its really not hard to fucking explain. Are you kidding me

Be open and honest with them when the time is right

Iā€™ve always been real honest with my lad; heā€™s 10 now but I have been for years. If Iā€™m on my period now, he always knows and asks if I need tablets, hot water bottle, some chocolate. I think itā€™s super important. Iā€™m raising a king ready to meet his queen :princess: xx

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-do-you-teach-kids-about-periods/11598

My kids always knew I bought tampons. When they asked about them I told them what they were forā€¦I explained that women bleed every month because itā€™s how our bodies prepare a healthy environment to bear children. They know itā€™s completely normal. Itā€™s not taboo and my daughter knows when she gets there, we will get her whatever she is comfortable with trying And that it may take a few tries to get her exactly what works for her.

4 Likes

My son, he is about to be 8, was told about a year ago about it. My girls (9, and 6) know the gist right now. My youngest 2 girls (3 and 1) will know more at about 4/5ish. I start with what they can understand and go from there.

3 Likes

My 10 ur old son just did a unit in Health on periods so I piggy backed on that and told him the truth. I stayed mostly scientific and obviously age appropriate, but I threw in a few ā€˜painfulā€™ realities.

Iā€™m raising my granddaughter she went through some trauma in her young life . She is 10 and about as open as a coconut. You canā€™t break the outer shell to get to the inside . She does not discuss feelings or tell you whats bothering her. Iā€™m afraid she will not want to tell me or even ask me for what she needs. How do I get her to open up?

2 Likes