How do you tell your teen her mom doesn't have long to live?

Be honest with your child. Tell them everything about your condition. Your child is old enough to get it. They gave me 10 years 24 years ago. My son was 18 months old at the time. Im still beating the odds. Dr’s don’t know everything. If you believe it it will happen if you don’t it won’t. No one else was going to raise my son. Will power and the belief in god. I’m still here.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen my dad in 8 years when he died because I was a kid when I turned 18 and graduated school I was going to travel to see him. I talked to him on the phone every day. He was excited to see me but never told me he was sick so that I could make it up there before he passed. 2 weeks before I was supposed to see him he died. That hurt me the most because he didn’t tell me he was sick so I could prepare for it and see him alive. So instead of going to see him and making memories I was going to his funeral.

I’m a 35 yr old mom of 6 with chronic health issues that will shorten my life.
My best suggestion is don’t give all the details. Yes the child should know mom isn’t well, But I feel like knowing it’s coming makes it worse. Live one day at a time, but don’t put a damper on all the good memories. (I’d be concerned the kid would be focusing on that more than the potential good memories they could be creating)

In truth I wouldn’t. The affects from when u tell her til you pass will be to much and then there is the after of grieving. Once you tell her that’s the day her grieves will start. Just embrace the time you have together and create memories with in her self she will see the decline. And I’m so sorry you are going through this. May what ever you choose to do, do what’s right for you. It’s really personal to what u decided. All my love and prayers are with you :heart:

It’s going to be heartbreaking and hard but sit her down and tell her what’s going on.

Be honest and don’t sugar-coat it.

The “had 10 years” is irrelevant now, so forget it. The only things relevant now is the guesstimated 3 years. No guarantee it will be 3 years. Reality.

You tell her Mom is sick, and they can’t fix it. Right now, the doctors think Mom has three years left, and we are going to live every second of it.

Focus a lot on the LIFE left, but realize all of you are going to grieve bc at some point you will be keenly aware this is the last Christmas, birthday, vacation, spring, garden harvest…family special thing.

Grieve. Talk honestly. Be all the emotions. Live in defiant joy and love. Death will not take those away from you.

Live in a way that what you leave behind is stuff you want her to remember the rest of her life. That doesn’t mean extravagant living. It means intentional living.

God bless you and your precious girl as you walk this unspeakably hard road.