How does this work?

I think there’s only one state that allows a parent to give up rights without the child being adopted but a lot of these posts are wrong bc child support still has to be paid

1 Like

No if they relinquish Parental rights and they are no longer a parent with responsibility

Depends on state and it makes sense because anyone can decide to volunteer to give up rights doesn’t make them any less financially responsible for an innocent child

3 Likes

Some states can still make them pay child support

In NC they do, until/ unless the child is adopted by another party (ex. step-parent).

nope. well not in most states anyway.

Depends on the state and sometimes the circumstances

No is the child being adopted by someone else? If so no.

Giving up all rights is saying you want nothing to do with and are not responsible… unfortunately

3 Likes

If the child is being adopted, by someone else, then No! They can do grandparent/mother adoptions, it doesn’t have to be a man or significant other. We are going through this now, as we speak, with my granddaughter!! They get no kind of visitation or knowledge of the child either.

They dropped it all. There just walking away gave up rights cs can be dropped if both agree to it seen it done

Most states will not allow voluntary termination of rights unless there is another person willing to adopt and take over the financial responsibility

I will tell you like a judge told my.ex husband. Every parent doesnt have a right to see their child but every parent does have the right to have to help financially to take care of that child

3 Likes

Terminating or signing away parental rights may only stop future child support but if that parent owes back support they’re still required to pay it. Laws are different state by state.

In Alabama… absolutely! There is a precedent in which parental rights can be terminated AND still be required to pay child support. I have a friend who specializes in Child Custody Law. I plan to put this into play!

2 Likes

Depends on the judge and the circumstance, they can still have to pay support.

Yes. In my state a parent can not just completely sign over their parental rights. They have to pay child support still and basically sign a parenting plan stating they want zero decision making rights and zero visitations. The only exception is if there is a second parent adoption, which is costly and takes a ton of time to complete.