How does this work?

I went through something similar. So no, they can NOT touch your house as long as your husband is not on the deed to the home. If his name was on the deed than they could 100% go after it if they were that cruel enough.
Or if the teens insurance and or vehicle is through you, they can but if none of that is your case you are 100% safe.

5 Likes

Seems to me if you are the only one on the deed to the house you are the only one that can use it as collateral

2 Likes

Check with a lawyer as I know a friend sister her husband family wanted his share of house in his passing she had to sell home to pay them off but have it stated she is only one entitled to house in your will have a family member or friend in will stated on your step daughter or your family is entitled to your belongings not his family or his children not unless you have listed in your will so do asap so your family or your executors do not have to deal with this later on in unforeseen event

This is why insurance exists. If it’s not your vehicle then don’t be concerned because you aren’t financially responsible for his kids, legally. However he can be sued and this is where it does get tricky. If you guys have been married a long time, then certain states can consider the home to possibly be joint property. Ive seen it happen in court here in Indiana. Dude got in a bunch of trouble for selling a home with just his name on the deed. I’d definitely check with a lawyer.

Young one - as long as you don’t sign for anything they have or use- and your the only name on the deed - you are safe. Don’t except the responsibility unless you want to be held accountable for their stupidity.

Self centered much it’s ok to be financially smart but jeez girl The only way they can take your property is if they go to jail and you put it up as collateral for bail or it’s collateral for insurance purposes best thing is to go talk to a lawyer but girl you don’t sound like you need kids at all

1 Like

Id contact a lawyer, every state is different. Also ignore the negativity in these comments…ppl are rude

Is your husband’s name on the title of the house.

Lmao. I’m sorry what :skull: this HAS to be a JOKE. Sounds like you’re materialistic over your husband and his kids :woman_shrugging::thinking: