How hard is it to get full custody?

How hard is it to get full custody of my two children and get permission from courts to relocate from Colorado to Florida?

22 Likes

Colorado is completely biased towards 50%~ spent 100k to keep children safe from drug addict alcoholic father with proof from police - rehab- judge still ruled for him to have babies 50/50. Family court is definitely not for best interest of children. Good luck!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How hard is it to get full custody? - Mamas Uncut

It completely depends on the circumstances

Thats hard to even answer…is the other parent in the kids lives at all…that can matter so much…and leaving state is even harder to answer…do you have any custody already established with the other parent

Tht depends on alot. Where u live at and the situation
Is the other parent dangerous abusive or neglectful? Did the other parent abandon them? Can you prove any of this if thts the case? If its one of those it prob still wont be easy or fast but you def have a chance
If its none of those things then you have no chance and are a shit parent

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How hard is it to get full custody? - Mamas Uncut

Good luck… Please let me know how u do it.

4 Likes

No one can really say. Were not judges. And we dont know the other party. Is there proof hes unfit? Do u have records of everything?

2 Likes

You have to prove that the other parents is completely u capable of custody .i.e drug addicted, alcoholic

3 Likes

A significant amount of information is missing to answer that question

3 Likes

Each state has different laws pertaining to how they go about custody. To make sure everything is done legally you should sit down with a lawyer that deals with family court.

1 Like

Depends on Colorado laws none of us are lawyers or judges (maybe there’s one in here but still) call a custody lawyer. My cousin got custody of his daughter and we live in a mother loving state but she was also on drugs

Damn near impossible unless the other parents gives up custody and gives permission for you to leave the state.

6 Likes

No judge is going to deny visitation to the noncustodial parent unless you can prove they are abusive or on drugs. Even if you get full custody, the other parent will get visitation and you will not be able to move far away from the other parent. I don’t know where you live, but in my state you can’t move more than 75 miles away.

Not impossible but hard to do unless you have permission to move child to another state from the other parent. My case was from MO to KY. My ex fought me every step of the way. It’s a long and boring story but what I can tell you is that it will be difficult and very costly to fight in court.

Really depends. Both my sister’s got full custody of their kids. Granted one sister’s husband had a pending DCFS allegation and my others sister’s ex-husband has a known criminal record and he didn’t even respond to the letter for court so the judge granted her full custody.

Unless you can prove the other parent has hard core drug addiction or is in some other way unfit, it’s very difficult. Even then, they usually get supervised visits. If filing for the sole reason of vengeance and the parent is not only fit but wants to be apart of the children’s lives, it often backfires…horribly. You need to consult a lawyer.

3 Likes

When I left Colorado I had my (ex)husband at the time to sign a paper saying I was leaving state with our son and that he had no issues with that. Then I paid for our divorce… and now I’ve sole custody…

The only way is if you can prove he is unfit. Hopefully you wont try to say he is so you can move since you said nothing about him being a bad dad

2 Likes

I’ve alwAy have had full custody and move where ever I want. It’s always better to handle things outside of a court room

I’m older I got full custody with visitation at my discretion. He had a drug problem and recent troubles with the law. I also had a good attorney.

Like i said, i was aloud to move out of state with my son, since we didn’t have any custody in place i was able to move to FL with him. His father tried to get the courts to make me move back with him but that didn’t work. I do have to fly back every other month for one weekend with my son for visitation and his dad comes to FL the other months, i was fine with that since he only gets supervised visits by me. It all depends on your state laws. Talk to a lawyer before you move.

Depends on what state your in. If you support the children fully … If there is any legal issues like violence drug or alcohol abuse etc… A good attorney needs to help you costs about 5 grand .

1 Like

I paid damn good money for my divorce attorney who put it in our decree that I got to choose where my children lived with no boundaries or restrictions. The ex didn’t contest it.

Depends. If the other parent is wanting to be a part of their lives and you are trying to move states and take their children away from them, then you are a scumbag. If that’s not the case and the other parent is unfit, then you have to prove it. They have to be REALLY unfit though. Even then they may still want them to have supervised visits with the kids. The goal for courts is for the kids to have both parents on their lives.

2 Likes

I had to prove the move was for a better opportunity or area for the kids and not a move to spite their father.

2 Likes

If your ex is an unfit or absent father it won’t be hard otherwise it might depend

Was you ever married to one another? That makes a huge difference as well. In my state, the mother automatically has full custody if the couple wasn’t married unless you’ve been to court and have a coparenting arrangement

My friend has full custody and her husband has visitation rights. She moved more than 50 miles away and the courts made her, since she was the one that moved, arrange and pay for transportation back and forth for her kids to visit their Dad every other week. They said if he had moved that would be his loss to not see the kids but since she was the one to relocate and he contested it she had to pay. No half and half stuff either because it was her decision to leave. Needless to say, the expense and the fact that she had to pay the airlines for personnel to accompany the little one…she was back before you knew it. She even tried to say it was okay with him and they agreed…didn’t work. The judge said bring them back or pay for them to visit their Dad…period.

From what I seen with Friends it’s very hard it depends on the Judge .Good Luck🍀

Every State is Different. Facts Check your state by laws on custody.

Like I thought totally Different from other States Look them up . If you have established paternity you don’t have nothing to worry about. He has no rights. Totally different in all aspects. Or if they were never married the mother gains automatic custody

That’s a loaded question. It usually depends on the amount of custody you have now, the reason why you’re moving, past history, etc. You would be better off asking your lawyer since we don’t have a lot of details to go off of.

19 Likes

It’s easier to move if your papers allow it, you’re moving for work, or there’s some damn good reason for moving. I moved from Georgia to Washington State no issue. My papers allowed it so I had no issue.

Unless the other parent is unfit it’s not likely you’ll get full custody. Shared custody is more likely.

13 Likes

I’m in NJ and full custody honestly doesn’t exist here, we have primary/residential only. I know someone whose ex is in jail for double homicide and she couldn’t get full custody of their kids.

21 Likes

Not sure how it works if not married. But when I divorced I asked and was granted sole physical and legal custody. That legal part made it where I informed my ex of the move from MD to TX, but he had no say so, couldn’t (and wouldn’t because he didn’t care anyway) stop me.

Especially in Colorado, the courts are all for keeping a family together/involved. I went through a divorce in Colorado and even asked about what would happen if one of us were to move out of town and the lawyer said that we would have to go back to court, get permission from the judge, look at the reason why we would be moving. If it were just to move, then it probably wouldn’t be a legitimate reason.

3 Likes

You have to get the other parents approval for a move like that if you have joint custody and legit reasons for the move and you will have shared custody unless you prove them unfit

5 Likes

I’m in Jersey and I have full custody of my older son. His father and I went to court, I filed for full custody. It was our turn to have our case heard and he never showed, the judge called him twice then called his mother. When his mother answered the phone the judge asked if he was aware of court and she said yes. She was told to call him back as soon as they get off the phone. The judge tried one last time. No answer. I was awarded full custody and he has no visitation, it is up to my discretion when he can see him ( which he doesn’t due to the fact he had 7 other kids after my son ). Also in our finalized papers in the state of NJ he can never take me back to court for custody.

4 Likes

I’m in Colorado. Here in Weld county it’s hard. My daughter’s father had not seen her in over a year…refused to take co parenting class that’s supposedly required and he still go 50/50 legal. That means he’d have to agree to a move even though he doesn’t even live in Colorado.

Why would you take children away from other parent and family

4 Likes

I’m in Oregon and have full custody of my son, but I still can’t relocate to another state without his father’s consent.

2 Likes

Those are two huge and usually completely separate battles

2 Likes

Good luck with that because it’s not likely going to happen.

1 Like

I use to know somebody have to share 6 month with mom and 6 month with dad… from out state I forgot what state it was…

I’m in Alabama and when my son was 3 I was awarded full sole legal and physical custody and his father’s lost all his rights. I left my son’s father when my son was 6 months old. I went through a lawyer so that all the p.work was filed correctly but I never had to go to court bc we couldn’t locate him so it was put in the newspaper for 4 continuous week’s in which he had to contact my lawyer as well as the court’s. After I was awarded that I went for the last name change and it was pretty much the same process as what I said above and I was awarded that. So my son now has my maiden name.

1 Like

Please don’t take a child away from a parent that is an active part of their lives

3 Likes

You have to prove the other parent unfit.

4 Likes

Custody us one thing. Moving out of state is pretty hard.

2 Likes

One is not exclusive of the otger
you might fight to have sole custody on paper with the other parent having visitation rights, but it is damn near impossible to be able to get relocation permission without the other parentts okay.

Depends on what the other parent will fight for. I’m not allowed to move out of a 5 mile radius and I have full custodial custody. I’m in NH.

5 Likes

Depends, why dont you want the other parent in the picture?

2 Likes

It took my fiance 2.5 almost 3 yrs to get his 2 kids that he shared with his ex they came from ILLINOIS to Ohio.

For most people you have to prove the other parent unfit and unsafe to be around the child

4 Likes

You might be able to relocate, but full custody is probably never going to happen unless the father is a danger to the children, or he willingly gives you full custody

2 Likes

It depends on your situation. In my case my kids father had nothing to do with them physically for 4 yrs. He paid just enough child support to keep himself out of jail. He tried to block me from leaving the state. The judge asked him why it matters where they live when he didn’t want anything to do with them until now. He couldn’t give a good answer. He had to give him a chance to defend himself so a trial date was set. We were allowed to move. I had to go back for the trial which wasn’t even a trial. He knew at this point that he didn’t have a chance so he gave me permission but wanted visitation. Judge said an half hour phone call once a week was sufficient. He also gave me disgression to who was allowed to be on the call, whether it be voice or video, to record if I wanted etc. I also had disgression moving forward & if he missed more than 3 “visits” I could cancel all contact. I also have sole custody & don’t need his permission to move or for anything else moving forward. If your case is similar my advise is to hire a lawyer. Request that your court & lawyer fees be reimbursed by him. If he’s an active part of your kids lives please don’t take that from them unless he’s abusive.

1 Like

You sound bitter tbh. Why rip your kids from their other parent for YOUR happiness? Ew.

5 Likes

You literally have to prove the other parent unfit, unsafe, unstable, etc.

3 Likes

I took my kids dad to court 3 time to get full custody of my 2 boys he hasn’t paid child support or anything he has 3 drug charges on his record and he has a child support change too and he was put on probation and he violated his probation he was still going to court over his charges and now he doing 120 days in a prison he never called or write to his boys that whole time he been lock up he only see them when he wants to see them or call them he never get them on b days or holidays are nothing and it’s court ordered that he sees his kids every other weekend and have a week out of summertime but i never got full custody i just gave up on it paying all that money to be shut down by the court system I even got a protection order against him about his drug charges and got busted and they denied it he broke my son collar bone when he is about 3 years old and got away with it too there was an open case and they closed it and i live in missouri he is an unfit father and i have it all on text message about him making up excuses to see them like one was. I dont have food in my house to have the boys this weekend i tried to get food all week for them or his gf is sick and he dont want the boys around her things like that

Depends if dad is good upstanding man and active you will most likely be denied. You need to show he is very unfit and not safe otherwise you will be told you can go and kids stay.

2 Likes

Depends on how determined the other’s lawyer is.

Get a dam good lawyer

Probably really hard if he wants to be a father and wants to be a part of his kids lives. Fathers have rights too.

If there is no father listen on birth certificate, you don’t have to do anything. They have no rights.

1 Like

If you get full custody, I doubt you will need permission to relocate. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

Depends in the situation. My ex gave up all rights and I got full custody of our 2. He said he wouldn’t fight as long as I gave him my tax return for that year. That in itself should explain how he was as a parent. I’m free to move anywhere I please. We did agree to let the other parent know where they relocate but he has no say on where I go.

2 Likes

Unless the parent is unfit. A drug addict. Neglectful. Or abusive. …if the other parent is in the other child’s life, and pays child support it might be hard. But if you have a great paying job lined up, it’s possible to relocate yes.

2 Likes

Relocating without permission from the other parent is tough.

2 Likes

I got full custody immediately I’m in upstate ny

Well My Boyfriend’s ex managed to pull it off and take his son to TX. Judges will believe any lies here it seems.

You don’t need full custody in order to relocate. You just have to inform your ex and the court of your intent to relocate and be prepared show the court in the even that your ex contests that you a) have a plan to continue a modified visitation schedule and transportation for that schedule and b) can prove that living in a new place will give the children more stability, support or quality of life …. You can move

Otherwise getting sole legal custody itself is a hard thing to get as the court firmly believes that children deserve 2 parents…. And even THEN you’re still often tied to a radius of 120 miles within the same state.

I have sole legal custody and I would have to do the same thing I stated above if I wanted to move. Just because you have full custody doesn’t mean it strips the other parents of all rights, just legal decision making rights, but they’re still entitled to visitation.

And getting parental rights stripped is almost impossible unless you have substantial evidence of abuse or risk of harm. That substantial evidence is hard to get and prove to the court.

3 Likes

Get a good lawyer, if you have the opportunity for a good paying job elsewhere and the father is not present in the children’s lives, the judge will most likely grant you permission to do so. They don’t want to hold you back from being able to provide for your children and a good career

2 Likes

Depends on your State and also get a really good lawyer… I got full custody and it wasn’t hard at all for me (Chicago) but also my lawyer is awesome (female) and a :lion: in court

1 Like

Lots at play here, many factors… consult a family law lawyer.

1 Like

I have full custody and full residential custody too. My ex was abusive and uses drugs

That really depends upon what kind of parent the other parent is being. If they are active at all it isn’t going to happen, and further more it shouldn’t happen. Your child has a right to both parents if both parents are in their lives. Now if the other parent isn’t in your child’s life then get a lawyer and see what can be done.

I think that depends on the situation of both parents and history really depending on place of location

If there’s no order already you could just move it’s
not kidnapping if your their mom.

Every State is different.

Not so sure you will be able to relocate so easy. Has to be a good reason to be able to do that. And every state is different

It’s pretty hard. You have to convince the court you have really good reason to do so.

If he’s a decent dad good luck with that.

Extremely difficult. Parental rights are a constitutional guarantee. Unless there is extreme abuse or abandonment it is almost impossible. Judges almost always do joint custody only. And moving to another state is almost impossible as it would cause parental alienation.

3 Likes

If both parents are in fact good parents, and have a healthy relationship with their child/ children- hopefully your chances are slim to none.

1 Like

Impossible from what I hear. I mean if you’re the father…

Yikes. Difficult. Especially the move out of state.

2 Likes

This could be a man asking this, and if it is it’s very hard 🥲 typically if the children are pretty young they tend to side with the mother. Regardless, to gain full custody the other parent has to be proven to be a real POS and even if you get partial the other parent can stop you from taking them out of state. It’s better to stay close and give the children the benefit of both parents…put the kids first❤️

3 Likes

Depends on of the State Favors Mother or Father’s in Oregon it’s Hard to Prove an Unfit mother same with Idaho and a few other states

1 Like

Get a good lawyer or better reach an amicable decision between the adults with the primary consideration being the happiness and welfare of the kids… especially if one is moving on into a new relationship…always put your kids consideration and wellbeing before you and your new partner.

Unless you can prove a pattern of abuse towards the children it isnt going to happen. Most states are 50/ 50 custody arrangements. The courts probably wont let you take the children out of state. An attorney could help but even with one the odds are not in favor of full custody.

2 Likes

I tried to do this and it backfired hard. I wanted to relocate to TX from VA and wound up losing custody of my son. Father was a deadbeat never in his life for the first years and just like that, judge gave him physical custody.

1 Like

You all think this a mom asking this. Never said it was a woman or a guy. Maybe the father asking this question

1 Like

I think any parent that moves their children to a different state from their 2nd parent is HORRIBLE unless the second parent is legitimately unfit.

8 Likes

Need more info. My brother was a victim of this very thing. Ex wife wanted to move with her lover to TX and take the kids. No abuse involved. Good news, lady. She won. Dads deserve a fair shake too.

8 Likes

Gotta play nasty to do it. Put the gloves on.

1 Like

It depends on what evidence you have to show that you should have them full time.

1 Like