How hard is traveling with a toddler?

I’ve traveled longer than that with in a car with a 1 yr old and then again when she was 2. You must make lots of stops for them to get out and stretch/run children can get blood clots in the legs faster than adults for sitting too long. We had 2 portable DVD players that way one was charging while the other was being used. Pack lots of snacks different kinds. One time my dad rode with Me and my daughter for 26 hours, he brought a huge bag of gummy worms, he kept her entertained for hours with them some how. Yes your kids sleep schedule will get messed up no matter what, also remember no matter what be super patience with the child :heart:

We used to drive 18 hours to my folks home and we always left around midnight, one adult stayed awake and drove while the other snd the kids slept. We would wake around 7-8 stop for an extended hot breakfast. Also would wash the kids up and dress them for the day in the restrooms. Then we would drive for an hour-2 when everyone needed an after-eating potty break. We had movies for kids to watch as the first driver would sleep. Around 1-2 we would stop for lunch that if it was good weather we always got and found a park for the kids to play for an hour or so, bathroom break and hit the road. Kids down for nap. First driver got to sleep a little more. We would stop and eat dinner then go to a hotel with indoor pool so kids could swim and get super tired. All in bed by 9-10pm. Up in the morning and we would usual only have 4-5 hours left. So second day we arrived and weren’t as tired as a straight through trip from hell. DVD movies were life savers. I was traveling with my 3 kids from the time the oldest was 4 months old. They were use to are trips. When they got overly fussy we stopped to stretch.

Lots of snacks and lots of potty breaks and you will be just fine.

I think it depends if your baby likes the car or not. Its torture for me I would recommend driving during her nap time if possible so she can sleep in the car. Snacks are a big hit for mine.

Traveled a lot with my kids (anywhere from 2hr to 5 days). Start travel early in the day so can stop earlier. Plan lunch stops around places where kids can play in parks/playgrounds, if they dont eat while stopped it doesnt matter, a supply of finger food for the car will deal with hunger. Water or very diluted juice to drink to minimise the sugar as they cant burn it off in the car

A collection of unwatched movies/kids cartoons on a tablet, a couple new toys will help with boredom.
Plan to have short stops at every driver change. 10 min out of the car will help get the blood flowing. Remember their discomfort is worse as the car seats are really restrictive.

It cna be difficult but take so.e things to do…movies, toys, snacks, plan on making a few stops to stretch and take a little break. My son’s first road trip was when he was 3, 26 hrs straight…it was waaaay easier than I was expecting

We took my 18month old on a 18 hour trip a couple months ago. Left early afternoon, drove a few hours, stopped for dinner and let him run around for 45 minutes and to eat then put in him in jammies and drove through the night. We had toys and snacks available for when he woke up and stopped for potty breaks and to let him stretch his legs during the morning.

1 Like

Nighttime driving is awesome with toddlers cuz they sleep the whole time … for day time bring snacks, portable DVD player, their all time favorite toys, favorite drinks, items to bribe them( my son loves surprise eggs and he starts acting out I just be like you have to e good just awhile longer and you can have this surprise eggs and normally after 20 mins I give it to him and then he gets a new toy and stays content for awhile),

I’ve done it with younger kids and kids about that age. Five hours a day is very doable. Bring snacks, bring their nap time lovies and music. It won’t necessarily be fun all the time but it’s doable.

I have gone for 19 hr drives with my daughter alone. No tablet no dvd player. Toys snacks and car games and let them get out for stretches even if on side of the road as often as they need. I would personally stop at a fast food place and purposely go in for grub so we both can stretch and use the washroom if needed.

Your child will likely sleep most of the trip. Take breaks whenever the baby is awake. Pack a cooler with manageable treats. Pack small toys that the baby loves (offer something new at intervals) and sit in the back with the baby whenever you are not driving.

Just make frequent stops. Bring a dvd player. Toys. Snacks. We always traveled. Its manageable.

Went 19 hours from Florida to Iowa. We stopped in the middle. He was good. Just start early and stop a couple times for the child to be able to walk around a bit. We have traveled since he was two. Just have to let them run around every couple hours.

For some babies it’s torture. Their little butts get numb just like a regular person—but only difference is being restrained

Try to leave and drive overnight. Itll be easier for them to sleep and you wont have to stop as often for potty or snack breaks.

If you do screens, load a few movies or episodes of their favorite shows.

If you arent toilet trained yet, itll be easier. Use pull ups or diapers. If youve toilet trained and dont want to go in gas station bathrooms, grt a little travel potty and some puppy pads. Line the inside of the potty with the puppy pads. Then you can just pull over to the side of the road if your little needs to go (its also helpful for older kids too! Just use a bigger puppy pad)

If driving in the daytime, try to break it up into chunks so your little can get out and run around. Most areas have parks and some rest stops even have playgrounds.

2 Likes

Just this summer I took my 2 years old on a 14 hour road trip and we stopped like 5 times and let him run around he was fine…

The child needs to come out of the car seat for a bit by the third hour. They have found that the positioning can actually create a slow suffocating issue.

We did it, drove from 5am til about 8pm each day for two days, stayed a week then back again. Just prep snacks and toys. BUT make sure u pick toys that won’t drive u insane to listen to repeatedly. Oh and DVD/iPad with headphones

My daughter got car sick… I hate road tripping :unamused:

Stop every 1.5 to 2 hours for at least 15-20 minutes

The kids going to sleep.

Did 19 hours when my son was 19 months old, most of the driving was done at night, daytime driving needed lots of rest stop breaks, but from what I can recall all in all it wasn’t to bad.

Frequent stops while theyre awake for diapers and stretching they should be fine, we got kids dvd players with headphones for them to watch their movies over and over without driving us nuts listening to the same songs

I’ve traveled 22 hours with my toddler straight through. It was tough for all of us but we made it, luckily we had toys and a tablet for him. He hated when we stopped to stay the night at a hotel because it wasn’t our destination and he didn’t understand what a hotel was.

Depends on the kid. My toddler this would never happen.:woman_shrugging: we did a 6 hour drive once with her and it took 10 hours. Keep this in mind what looks like a 5 hour drive might take 10 hours.

Easy to do. You got this. I prefer night driving with kids. So much easier

We took our 1 year old on a 23 hour car ride straight through- stopping to change her and feed her, gas up and feed ourselves and a few stops at some shops for souvenirs and to stretch. She slept most of the ride and handled it like a pro.

My youngest is 15 months and just traveled 10 hours one way to visit family and did fine! We take her out every stop and stretch. Refresh drinks and snacks.

I just drove 23 hours with my 3 and 4 year old and they were amazing! Never even asked to get out of the car. We drove about 5 hours then stopped for 2 then started again. I did not know they would be that good! All kids are different tho

The younger the kid the more they sleep … my kids were dreams when we would visit each others family … always a 24 hr drive each way

Do it at night time as much as possible! What I always do with my 2 & 4 year old :blush:

Just make sure to do random stops to get out and stretch let her explore for a few a bit 15 20 min . May be keep her busy before the start of the drive to tire her out…portable DVD player play movies or TV shows that the child may be interested in…sit in back sit to keep company and play…take some paper and crayons and draw together…have snacks bagged up

1 Like

For some reason they always do good on car rides I be thinking the worse every time but they always surprise me say a good old prayer and let the lord lead you. Yall will do fine. And a lol cocomelon.

Did a 5 hour trip with my 2 year old (just turned) she got car sick once but other then that she was fine slept most of the way

Me and my mom drove from texas to Maryland with a 2 year old and 1 year old. It took 24 hours total. We drive during the day and got hotels at night. We took turns entertaining the boys and it wasn’t bad at all. That was 10 years ago but I can’t remember then even making a fuss the whole time.

My son gets severe motion sickness on long car rides. So for us, long trips are miserable af.

We did 23 or something with 18 month old. He did way better than i expected. We have driven straight across with night driving which my husband preferred but I think he cried more. he slept ok considering. I got zero sleep. Last time we drove during the day and hotel over night. We just drove until he got cranky. Breaks at playgrounds or run in the mall. Lots of TV shows and music and snacks. He was fine.

I think it depends on the toddler and the day lol. I can road trip for 1-2 hours with a friend and have my daughter scream and whinge the entire way or we can go 12 hours with no entertainment and no naps, just my daughter RF and she is perfectly fine…

stop about every hour & have the youngster out for a bit of exercise- drink- potty-treat- or food. Took my kids for 8 hr drive to see my folks & that worked fairly well. (all in 1 day) ( think they were 3 & 4 )

Getting them to only sleep when you are driving is a bad idea. Plus bad for posture and a good night’s sleep all round.

Leave at night so they will sleep most of the way

It’s safer to drive during the day, start at the crack of dawn. And kids fall asleep in the car most of the ride anyway no matter what time of day.

Drive a night so they sleep

Oh god no you mad :joy: I agree with your husband drive at night if you can

We went from MICH TO Georgia with one that old he loved it all…the way. had a few small toys to play with would stop at rest stop now and then taking him out to run great trip

2 words, portable DVD player :ok_hand:t2:. We took our 10 month old to Florida, 13hr trip, plus 2 8yr olds. :woman_shrugging:t2: He did GREAT actually. But we left at night time and took turns driving, so they slept, a lot. We stopped for food and all got out and bathroom breaks for us to go and change him ect. You should be fine.

Honestly, I’d either hold off until you can afford to fly to them. I wouldn’t even attempt a drive that long with a child that age, or until the child is older.
Heck, my 12 year old hates being in the can for more then a couple of hours. She’s always been that way.

1 Like

We leave from NY around 4 pm and drive straight through the night and get there about 10 am. We stop for dinner so kids can stretch and then they watch movies on portable dvd player and snack if necessary. Bring books you can read, some toys she can play with. We always get out and let kids stretch legs at rest stops unless they are sleeping.

Just be careful with the screens for too long. I’ve found with my son, any more than a 2hrs at a time looking at a screen makes him car sick. No fun for anyone involved. The last trip that happened on we had to pull over and change his clothes like 4 times.

He’ll be alright. If you can’t drive at night, one of you sit in the back with him. And screentime all he wants. Hand him a phone.

1 Like

We make the trip from Indiana to Tampa, FL almost every year which is about 17 hours. It’s MUCH longer with little ones. I can’t tell you the number of times we’d stop for food and restrooms, and as soon as we were back up to speed on the highway, someone had to poop. :roll_eyes: My best advice is to make the driving portion of the trip PART of the trip. Plan stops to do something other than a gas station every 2-3 hours. Hit those roadside stands, that place on all the billboards that sounds like fun, etc. Spend an hour or two if you have to. It may eat into your “vacation” days, but trust me, the trip will be WAY more fun and no one will feel like they just drove for 21 hours. We also visit my parents 9 hours away multiple times a year, and frequently do the driving at night. This saves NO days because the person who drove (or both if you switch off) are pretty much useless the next day from exhaustion. I don’t care if you claim you can sleep while the other is driving, it is not restful sleep.

Leave right before nap time helps. Stop halfway and stretch, eat. Movie or cartoons help. Lots of snacks

1 Like

100% depends on the kids. I took my similar aged kids on a 7 hour road trip and we went at night. It was likely the worse drive of my life and wouldn’t wish It on my worse enemy. My kid wouldn’t sleep, so he was basically up all night, overtired, strapped in a seat he wanted no part of.

We make a 12 hour round trip with our almost 2 year old quite often. We’ve been taking long trips since he was born. We get out and walk around to take a break from the car seat when we stop for bathroom, gas, and eating. We also have a travel DVD player that has been a lifesaver!!! And snack, ALL the snacks!

I always just put them in the car and went it always worked out fine

My kids do 50/50 in mississippi and alabama so they are always in the car doing long trips. Honestly just play tv on your phone get food bring toys and it’ll be ok. We can’t avoid the unavoidable. Most the time kids sleep in the car on long rides

Portable dvd player and games and stop at rest stops along the way to let them play, maybe make it a game of will the next rest stop be funner?

Do it. If the baby starts getting antsy get in the back too. Take snacks and drinks and toys. Point out animals or semis or whatever to pass the time. You’ll be fine.

We make a 24hr trip to NY and a 36 hr trip to California with a 4yo and 2yo every year and have since they were born. They love visiting family and it makes the trip Worth it

Depends on your toddler. We did an 8 hour car ride and she was fine. We took a portable DVD player so she could watch movies. She was just over 2 at the time. But I do believe it depends on your kid.

Been cross country many times with toddlers just stop at rest stops or playgrounds and let them run around and have favorites toys, movies or recorded books and headphones, also color wonder works great or big magnets on a cookie sheet. Or dry erase board

Driving during the night is dangerous.

We drive 18 hours one way at least once a year. My now 2.5 year old has done this trip twice now. We leave around 3/4 in the pm and drive all night, get there in the morning. Is it a great time had by all? Nope but its doable and I grew up doing it, too and I am just fine (well it wasn’t the car rides that messed me up anyway).

We drove from Florida to Utah with a 3&4 year old. Tablets are your best friend.

My kids loved car trips. Slept most of the time. Made stops every 4-5 hours for diaper changes and leg stretches for kids and adults both. I have found that most kids fall asleep because of the gentle movement of the car vehicle and the white noise of the tires on the pavement. Can be a wonderful memory.

It will be fine just make you snacks and stuff for her to do. Did all the time w 2 toddler’s.

My child loves road trips but we only ever had one day of driving. We bring a potty in the car in case of emergencies. Good luck.

We took our 12 month old on a 15 hour drive did most of the driving at night and he was fine

I got a car seat tray last time we took a long trip. They can have a play area and a place for snacks.

We drove all the way across the country with two toddlers we just made it fun and brought snacks and lots of activities and we stopped and walked alot

I have 4 kids, and we all love to go for long drives, as long as we get out for snacks and to stretch for a bit every few hours we’re all good. My oldest now is 11yrs old and my youngest is 5yrs old, and long drives is something we have to do just to not go crazy being stuck at home its now our normal. The longest we’ve been in the car for one day is 10 hours. In the car we take turns picking our favorite songs, we talk a whole lot lol, and we go over our trip plans. Some times me and dad lose our shit after to much bickering in the back and we play the “No one say a word!” Game, it only last 30mins if we’re lucky lol. But overall our long drives gives us lots of family time with no distractions.

Sounds like torture for everyone.

My then husband and I decided to travel straight through from Texas to NC with our 5 yr old and our 1 year old. We were in a truck with a cover and put a mattress in the back. The deal was that I would drive during the night with 1 yr. old up front in carseat. He and 5 yr old would be in back asleep. Then we’d switch out. Only problem was youngest wouldn’t sleep at all. When we were in back he wanted to play and walk around so I couldn’t sleep. We made it as far as Alabama before I was ready to kill everybody. We got a room and got a fresh start the next morning. The rest of the trip was a piece of cake.

Why not test drive with them before committing to a long drive. Start with two hours and then increase daily or weekly until you get up to the 5 hours. Make sure they have plenty of toys, healthy munchies and videos in car to keep them occupied. As stated above, let them out of the car at rest stops at least every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to exercise. (Think about them being totally restrained in the car seats for long periods of time.)