How is it having kids 18-months apart?

Please, no judgment, but my husband and I have two children, two years old and ten months old. They are only 18 months apart. We want to have a total of 4 children. We are very open to and excited about the prospect of them all being 18 months apart, as crazy as that is. I feel I am in a good place, and it’s important to me personally to be relatively young when childbearing. But, I wanted to get some real stories from other Moms with three and under. I was reading that it can be unhealthy to get pregnant less than a year apart and that you should optimally wait 18-24 months, but that feels too long for us So Moms with three kids 18ish months apart: how are you doing?? What is your advice? Did your doctors have any concerns with your third pregnancies being so close to the other two? Did you get a lot of flack from others, and if so, how did you handle it? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

26 Likes

My kids are 1 yr 2 weeks apart. They have a twin like language its so sweet. They wrestle and all. But i wouldnt change it for my life.
Side note my teeth are fucked.
And took me 2 yrs to lose weight. Tell ppl to mind their own business

All of my boys (I have 4) are 2 years almost exactly apart! I LOVE it!! And they are now age 19, 17,15,13

My oldest 2 girls are 15 months apart. It was hard but they basically get to go through everything together lol

Mine are 13 months and 3 days apart… I was told not to get pregnant for awhile so my body can heal… I had 1st natural and 2nd c section… I love having my babies so close now they are 1 and 2!

My middle and third child are 19 months apart. Best friends most days, but when they fight THEY fight. It is so crazy. But I love having them so close in age!

1 Like

Theres 14 months between my eldest 2 child 3 and 4 have 14 month between them child 4 and 5 have 16 month between them currently pregnant with child 6 but my little girl is 2 n half now

My son was born Aug 10th 2016 & my daughter was born Aug 27th 2017. It is stressful & overwhelming but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I, however, am waiting to have another until my kids hit kindergarten. Everyone is different though, right now im just sucking up all the love from my little loves I have right now.

2 Likes

Mine are 10 months apart and it was much easier than the 8 year age gap I had between 1 and 2

Ive had all my kids pretty close together i have 7,6,5 and then 2 almost 1 and im 32 wks pregnant. Dr and midwife havent been concerned more just me needing a break but we’re done have kids are last two were birthcontrol babies so hubbys getting snipped

My first and second are 14 months apart no problems xx

My grandmother had 4 kids each a year apart. She is still kicking at 83! Do it!

I have 4 girl 5 3 1 year old and 2 month old

My two youngest are 11 months apart. We have 7,5, 3 and 2. There was concerns with my last pregnancy being so close because I had a csection but everything was fine. They all play great together but as all kids do, they sometimes fight and bicker.

18 month gap is Awesome. My first 2 awesome. Best age gap!! In my opinion.
I have Irish twins so not even a year apart. That’s hard work( together) and they still are at almost 5 and 6 lol

I’m honestly impressed/jealous you guys have had the chance to time children like this. Our bean has been like a natural birth control for us, because she’s always been clingy and a light sleeper. Even when we get the chance, it’s rarely the time of the month when I’m fertile lmao!

2 Likes

They are 1yr & 2weeks apart & the best of friends.

I love it! I have a boy and a girl and it’s awesome.

I have a three year old who just turned three November 22nd and a 1 year old who will turn two on March 12th and a 5 month old, it is hard, i try to give them all the attention they need and it seems impossible :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face: getting them all on the same sleep schedule is nearly impossible :pleading_face: and so i don’t get much sleep, but honestly can’t imagine it any other way :crazy_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::crazy_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

I had four children they were born in 1976,1978,1980, and 1983 , I had no problem raising them, most of the time I was a single parent.one daddy

2 of my babies were 19 months apart. My daughter transitioned pretty well. She loves him. They are 3-5 now. She calls him her chunky monkey and always tells me that he is her baby not mine

I had 3 under 3. The youngest is about to turn 1. I’m doing good. At first it’s really hard but it gets easier. My dr wasn’t concerned at all. None of my family really said anything. I mean occasionally they said I’ll have my hands full which I do :rofl:. Words of wisdom. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Don’t be afraid to let the house get dirty. I love that my kids are so close in age. They’re each others best friends. My oldest absolutely loves and adores the youngest

I have 3 19 months apart… It hasn’t been bad except my older two act like twins which can sometimes be annoying… My husband got hit by a car and lost all his deployment pay, if I knew that would happen I wouldn’t have had my 3rd, though I love him to death we are really struggling financially now

1 Like

My kids. He is in the red and she is my only girl. :heart:

My sister and I are 18 months apart. My mom said at first it was a little difficult, but she said I (I’m older) helped her a lot with my sister and I adored her. She calls us her Irish Twins. My sister and I are best friends. We have a twin like connection. We know what the other one is basically thinking, we finish each other’s sentences, we automatically know when something is wrong with the other. For the longest time we had separation anxiety with each other and shared a bedroom until we were 18 and 16. We’re now 19 and 17, her being almost 18. Although when we fight, we rarely do, WE FIGHT. Our mom has had to break us up a couple times😅

1 Like

My husband’s grandmother had all 5 of her children 11 to 13 months apart and still to this day is in better health than most people I know!

My first two were about 19 months apart both girls and the oldest one has always been the more mothering of the two when they were littler and in fact I have a picture of her standing there feeding the baby and as I recall it you know we have one you have two it’s no big deal

We are wanting to start trying for another once my 2 month old reaches about a year

Idk but my older 2 are born 2 years apart and I thought it was perfect! My 3rd was born 4 years after my second. Thennnnn… I got pregnant when he was 5.5 months. And I thought I was going to die. An infant and being pregnant is rough. If I had to plan it out I’d have waited till 3rd was a year maybe a smidge older before we started trying… but we weren’t trying, all in all them being 14 months apart isn’t chaotic, he loves his baby sister. They all do.

But I really enjoyed having 2 kids close together then waiting and having 2 more.

I had 4 kids in 5 years and 3 months. You’ll be fine! It’s a natural thing.

I have a 4 and a 3 year old, they are almost 14 months apart. Then I also have a 23 month old, he is about 15 months younger then my 3 year old. It is hard work I’m not gonna lie…maybe its because they are all boys or also because they are still young but they are best friends. The fighting is terrible but they love each other lol. I have an 11 year old too and he always complains he has no one his age so there are a lot of benefits to having them close in age.

I think it’s more of a concern when you have a history of premies or c section

1 Like

Talk to your doctor. If he feels it is safe and it is what you want to do just do it. You already know it will not be a picnic but you are the ones raising and paying for them and if you can afford it go for it. It is your life other peoples opinion shouldn’t matter to you.

Mine are 18 months apart. It was overwhelming at first but then got easier.

I wish I wouldve waited my kids will be 2 yrs apart and my body wasnt ready to carry another baby. Due to how my body physically has reacted to carrying another baby my husband and I have decided that we will not be having anymore babies after our daughter is born.

Although mine are all grown now but I had 5 under 7 and only 10 mths between the 1st two , just get on with it and do your own thing it’s hard wk but so worth it when they are all grown up.and best friends xx

1 Like

My 2nd and 3rd kids are 2 close to 3 years apart. It was okay because my daughter was the oldest and when my son came she acted like he was her baby. It was fine because my daughter was super independent. Fast forward she’s 10 and he’s about to turn 8 they are like Tom and Jerry. Pray for me :weary::weary::weary::woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

My first 2 are 18 months apart . Had 2 under 2yrs old . . . . Now having #3 next week!! It isn’t as bad as some say.

My oldest 2 are 18 months apart and I had no problem. They are now grown up and best friends… my daughter’s 2 are 15 months apart (don’t recommend due to the healing process) it’s hard for her but the kids are doing great

No problem. I had my 3, 17 & 18 months apart we were just fine

I have a two year old and a one year old, and besides my hair and nails needing extra vitamins it was totally fine! And now they have someone to play with always. If you want it, and can give them a good life
Do it!

Well my oldest is 20 months older then my twins and we did great! The thing you do need to look out for is the older one regressing because of the baby but and of course with any kids it does have its challenges. But not impossible.

1 Like

Mine are 16 months apart and its not bad other than lack of sleep but if my 5 month old would sleep through the night it would be fine.

My sister has 3 and they’re all just about a year apart. They’re all healthy and so is she.

I have 2 boys 10 months apart younger one was a premmie born 31 weeks same week we had him older one just started to pull himself up. Was hard for the first few days but you get into a routine they are now 3 and 2

My first two (son and daughter) are 13 months apart. We are due with number three in May so About 16mo between #2 and #3. It can be challenging at first, but I wouldn’t change it! I think we will stop at three, in order to be financially secure and able to provide well for each. It was important to me to finish childbearing before 30 :woman_shrugging:.

Oh it’s great while they’re little… but wait till they’re teens :flushed: how many teens do you want to torture you at the same time … I had 3 and I don’t know how I survived it :grimacing:

I had 5 kids in 7 years, oldest just turned 7, my daughter is almost 6( they are 18 months apart) my second daughter is almost 3, my son is almost 2, those 2 are irish twins they are 11 months apart, and my newest is almost 4 weeks old, my ob told me after i delivered that we were good to go for another one if we wanted.

1 Like

My kids are 364 days apart june 10th of 06 and june 9th of 07. Challenging but worth it and in the long run they share an awesome bond. Age gaps are harder in my opinion

We tried for 4yrs and had three miscarriages. We threw caution to the wind and were blessed with 3 kids in 3 yrs… our oldest two (both girls) are 20 months apart and our younger two (girl/boy) are 14 months apart… so our youngest was born a week before our oldest turned 3… it’s crazy, hectic and very busy but like you said… get them all done and close in age… they are now 10, 11 & 13… they get along for the most part and fight like siblings but I wouldn’t trade it for anything!!! I always got the comments… from men usually, sometimes relatives but ppl don’t know your story and they aren’t living your life… do what works for YOUR family!!! Enjoy it, they grow up to fast!!!

Pregnancy is really hard on your body. Personally, I’d wait to heal fully before committing to the decision.

Besides giving yourself time with each child before being overrun with more wouldn’t be for me.

Just be careful. Some women’s bodies cannot handle having so many kids so fast and each pregnancy has a higher chance of having issues. I personally know someone that did similar and she miscarried 3 babies in a row trying to keep up. The doctors told her she needed to take a break between them and she didn’t listen.

It’s wonderful having them close together. Sometimes these things can’t be planned…one at a time :heart:

I have 3 kids. Oldest to youngest is only 2 years difference. It’s hard, but it gets easier! So right now I have a 5 year old and two 3 year olds, one turns 4 in February and the other in November.

I would like to follow…
My oldest is 6…
But I’m about to have a 2 year old, a one year old and a new born all this year…
2 and I year old are 1.7 months apart. And my newborn will be born 4 days before my youngest turns one… I’m very curious about this as well.

My 3rd & 4th r 20 months apart… it can be difficult at times… but so worth it :blue_heart::heart:

My son is 3, daughter 2, and youngest is 4.5 months…its very hard sometimes, but all my pregnancies were relatively healthy. As long as you have a supportive and loving husband who guves you the needed breaks and sleep, and you feel mentally ready and even physically ready, then talk to your doctor, make sure you’re healthy enough in general. Its very testing at time, especially when the older kids start reverting, but with preventative measures I’m sure you could avoid that. Ive been told 1 year for healing, but got pregnant 3 months after my first, waited 21 months between my second and most recent, wouldnt say there was much of a difference.

I have 5 kids. 4yrs old, twin 3 yr old and a 2 yr old. They are all 10 months apart. And I have a 3 month old. It’s hard but totally worth it. Oh and I had 3 c sections.

I had my first 3 kids 26 months apart, and they weren’t planned that way, but it was great. Then baby 4 and 5 were 13 months apart… omgosh it was crazy exhausting but they are 3 and 4 now and still best friends. Won’t go anywhere without the other, share a room and you can’t buy 1 something and not the exact same thing for the other :relaxed::couple:

I have 5 boys 16,15,6,5 and 1. Once I got pass the baby phase it was smooth sailing from there.

My two oldest are 18 months apart. They’re all grown up now but are still great friends. The younger one is 2 1/2 years younger than the middle and was missing the same connection to his brothers.

think farther down the road…parent teacher night is hellish. your never away from diapers. Good luck on your car insurance . Weddings every year! but you’re a very young grandparent

My babies are 8, 7, 5, 2 1/2 & 6 months old and I personally love having a big family! It’s stressful at times but this was always my dream to have a big family and I feel so lucky to be able to live it and stay at home with my babies. I always wanted 6 but we’re done at 5 :heart:
We have 2 girls followed by 3 boys so that’s super nice for us also that the genders came together, the girls / boys are playmates and some of their clothes can be passed down easily.
I personally never had any issues having my babies so close together other than anemia which I’ve battled with my entire life anyways, it just worsens during pregnancy!
Good luck mama I hope it all works out for your family! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a 3 year old who will be 4 in march a 2 year old just turned 2 in november and a 10 month old who will be 1 in march. I never planned on my children being this close in age. But I didnt protect against it either me and my husband just let it happen. With my first two I was excited about them being so close. With my third I was a little scared because three in diapers. But I love it. Even though they fight like cats and dogs even the 10 month old i wouldn’t trade it.

My 5th,6th and 7th babies were born 2015, 2016 and 2017. My eldest was 2007… Some days are crazy but I wouldn’t change it.

My first 2 are 14 months apart. And the age difference between my 2nd and 3rd is 26 months… my kids are 3, 2, and 5 months

I had a 4 1/2 yr old when 2nd was born, had a 3rd 14 mths later, and then 17 mths later
Had my 4th. So i had 3 in bottles & diapers at the same time. I would say first off, it was not easy. Money was tight. My body was drained. Took quite a while to get myself back to a before pregnancy state. It takes a lot out of you physically, emotionally, & spiritually. But if you are determined to do it, don’t care about others opinions, unless of course your doctor has any concerns about a future pregnancy. Otherwise, its your life! I wish you a bright future, but also, may i add this. You may realize one day that this preconceived notion of having 4 kids has changed. You may find that 3 or even 2 are better. Just give it lots of thought. Can you afford another one? Are you ready emotionally? Physically able to care for another ? Willing to care for another one? They are a lot of work, along with a lot of joy but be honest and don’t ever bring a baby into the world unless you can go beyond just meeting its needs. Be s great parent!

1 Like

My MIL had her first, then #2 51 weeks later, then twins 22 months later. She says it was such a blur she can’t really remember much haha. But she had her mom to help her. She said it was hard when they were little but then when they were a little older it was nice on vacations cuz they were all around the same age. And in their teenage years they all got along well. And now as adults they are so close.

I have a 2 year old little girl and 1 year old little boy that are 13 months apart and I am 12.5 weeks pregnant currently with another little girl. And I’m taking 15 credit hours worth of schooling this semester.

As a mom that had seven in nine years i will say it’s doable but i think it’d be more enjoyable to space them more. Having the three year old stage each year take it’s toll :joy:

1 Like

I know a woman who had two sets of twins in the same calendar year​:flushed::flushed: she was a terrible mother though​:confused:

I have one born 2003/ 2004/2005/2006​:joy::joy: and 2 boys born 2013/2015 :see_no_evil:I love a big family I found it easy love them all around the same age When they was growing up :heart: my teenager’s are 13 /14/15/16 and my little boys are 4 and 6 but I lost one child when he was 9 he would of been the 16 year old xx

You aren’t asking my opinion but I say, if you have energy, Dr opinion, and agreement, it’s your choice. 4 kids under 5 is challenging but has been done.

My girls are 21 months apart and the best friends ever!

That’s a great idea. The sooner you get them in school the sooner you can work. Heck have I 12 months apart. Nothing to judge yall about. Do your dream. Just know your gonna be busy, busy.

My oldest turned 17 months old just days before I had our twins. They are barely 2 years older than my youngest. It was easier early on. I think as they get older, mine are all in sports (competitive cheer, football, and basketball)…it is more difficult now. We run like crazy people from practice to practice, and getting homework in each night. I wouldn’t have it any other way. They are all very close to their other siblings, it isn’t just the boys, the twins, or the girls. They are all equally close to the other kids. It’s just busy because I refuse to limit their activities just because it isn’t easy for my husband and I. We teamwork to the extreme here. He is equally involved in everything for them. We couldn’t make all the extracurriculars work without each other. They are 10/9/9/7 and they fight and argue daily, but wow do they love and support each other. I always wanted a big family, and had actually considered a 5th and possibly 6th (my Dad is 3 of 6)…but as they get older, I’m not sure it would be fair to throw another baby in this lifestyle. With the 4 being close, I was able to shelter them from flu and major sicknesses for their baby stages. If we had any more they would have to tag along to all these practices, school functions, and games/competitions. They would be exposed to so much, and they would be much younger than their siblings so they wouldn’t get that closeness that the other 4 have with each other. Or at least that is my fear. I haven’t totally ruled out the possibility, but I don’t plan for any more as of now.

We have 5. When our youngest was born they were NB, 2, 4, 6, 8 years in age. They fight and complain and it’s stressful but they’re also great friends, they lean on each other, and I love knowing they have someone who is always by their side in life.

My kids are 10 years apart (same dad)

They like you to wait so ur body can fully heal but you don’t have too. Maybe ask your doctor specifically but if your other pregnancy were fine I think it would be fine

Mine are both boys and they fight constantly :joy::rofl:

I have 4 kids 5 years and under.
My oldest two were farther apart then my last three being 17 months apart. I was 18-23 when I had them, had all four natural and complication free and I felt great. I never had a problem Breast feeding them or getting in routines with them. I enjoyed going through stages in turns and together. I never had to pack clothes or gear away for long. I love it. The hardest part was having three under three in diapers teething at the same time. But bed time routine just had to be consistent. Wouldn’t change it though :relaxed:

At one point mine were newborn, 14 months and 38 months. There were times it was hard don’t get me wrong but overall I love them being close in age. Mine are now 10, 11 and 13.

I have three all two years apart. 6 in June 4 in July and two in October. Honestly it’s insane and I really wonder how I’m going make it some days. But my mental health has also been causing me problems. I definitely don’t want a fourth but I love my kids being close in age. They get to really grow up together and play. Also fight 24/7 but ya know :rofl:🤷 it’s also amazing watching them turn into their own person and see the difference in siblings and watch them help each other and have an impact on how the other is growing. If it’s something you think you can handle go for it. Definitely an experience :rofl: just make sure you have a good support system! The only thing I really wish is if I could get them all on the same sleeping schedule. My Drs had no concern tho. And as far as other people unless they are helping raise child/ren they can hush their mouth!

My girls were 10 1/2 months apart. It was relatively easy, but I was a stay at home mom for a few years

My girls are 14 months apart. I have 4 girls in total. Honestly I am so thankful that we had them close in age! It’s not easy by any means but at the end of every night I thank God for each and every one of them. I think the biggest thing to think about is your sleep schedule. I didn’t sleep train them the way others do and they aren’t the best sleepers. Plus my 3 year old has sleep apnea so it’s hard for her to get through the night.
Dinner meals are tough because I have that one that refuses to eat what the family eats for dinner and my rule is if you don’t eat your dinner then when you are hungry later, that is what I will warm you up.
But those things have nothing to do with them being close in age. haha.
My girls are almost2, almost4, 5, and 8. My 4 year old is incredibly helpful with her little sister!! It’s so beautiful. I think it all depends on your children’s personality!
If you want more kids, girl go for it!!!
It’s financially difficult to keep up with all the latest trends for sure especially as they get older but we make it work!

I had 4 in 9 years. I am tired every single day. If I would have had them closer I dont think I would be a very good mom.
This is my life. Chaos.

2 under 2 was easy. 3 under 3… really exhuasted me mentally and 3rd baby is difficult alot of the time.

Me and my younger brother are 12 months apart. We were super close while best friends!

I had 4 kids in less than 2 years. Oldest & twins 9m 27d apart, twins & youngest exactly 1 yr apart.

I have 4 boys 4,2&1 and 35 weeks with number 4. It is hard on the body to have them close together. But wouldn’t trade it for the world. At time its crazy. And I usually always hear they are to close together. But I always say well it’s not your body.

I have my kids at different ages. Oldest is 22, next one is 16, twins are 15, & a 3 year old.
If you want to know what the right age gap is, there isn’t! Have your baby when you are ready!!!

I have 4, they are 11-12 months apart, 7,6,5,4 they are close but they fight too.

Mine are pretty close. 12 months between 1&2, 22 months between 2&3, 34 months between 3&4 and 25 months between 4&5. I am done but love that they are all close. They are 9,8,6,3, and 1 right now. I will be completely out of diapers with 5 children before I am 30. I love it.

1 Like

My youngest two are 15 mths apart. It’s not as bad as you think it’s gonna be. They are closer to each other than their brother which is 5/6 years older than them. Honesty it was easier for us having them closer together versus when when we had the second one 5 years after the first one. You will figure it out in no time! :heart:

My kids are a year and six days apart, one girl and one boy. I love it. They’re so close which makes me feel better that they’ll take care of each other when we’re gone, they are at similar milestones so they can do a lot of activities together and they now go to school together and have grown even closer. Their excitement just feeds off each other so it makes for super fun times.
Downsides are obviously fighting lol, and different interests/emotional milestones.
Wouldn’t change it for the world.

Mine were both boys too and it was wreslemania always fighting day and nighy.

My kids are 17 months apart and my oldest and my husband’s son are 12 months apart. (Ages 4, 5 and 6) All the kids argue a lot but they’re all close too.

I have twins and we started trying again when they turned one it just didn’t work out. Stopped trying and went for an appointment to get my tubes tied found out I was pregnant!
The twins and the youngest are 3 years apart.
I have 2 5 year olds and a 2 year old
I wish they were closer in age but they all play well together and love each other so it worked out

1 Like

Life is pure chaos at times but we wouldnt have it any other way :heart:. 12, 3, 2 and 2 months. I got pregnant at only 4 months post partum. I suffered back pain but that’s it.

I have 3 kids my oldest is 20 months older than my middle and my middle is 18 months older than my youngest. Granted my boys are now teens I can say I would not change it for the world having my boys grow up so close in age was a blessing they don’t always get along but at certain points in their lives they’ve had their brothers to lean on and be each other’s best friend. Now they’ve also had some knock down drag out fights but that’s few and far between and they are always laughing and cutting up within the hour. That’s boy mom life. As far as health wise goes I had high risk pregnancy with all three of my boys and honestly had I not had my youngest when I did I wouldn’t have been able to have him so I’m very glad I did. I have had some health issues I wonder if I hadn’t had the boys so close if they wouldn’t have happened but we are app happy healthy and alive so I wouldn’t change it.