How is it having kids 18-months apart?

I have 2 boys (6 and 5) 20 months apart, then I have 2 girls (18 months and 3 months) 15 months apart. And I’m 26.
My boys are so close and my girl adores the baby. People in the playground always go, I don’t know how you do it.

But routine is key, I’ve had a routine since having my second child, and it’s pretty much always stayed the same (bar from bed times).
I love it and wouldn’t have it any other way!
I’m not going to lie I am sleep deprived, (breastfeeding baby) but honestly my babies are so worth it! My babies are all really good, some days I feel drained but it’s only in stages (when baby cluster feeds), my babies all sleep through.
X

It’s hard, my 2 oldest are 17 months apart 2 babies in diapers, also one teething the other had colic we all lived thru it, next one 3 1/2 years and 6 years apart much better

Mine are 17 months apart and it was the best decision I ever made. It was tough when they were babies tho, let me tell ya. Ooff

It’s the best ever. I did it in my early thirty s. With two preteens. They are 24 and just 26 and still the best of friends. Enjoy it. It’s great.

well i have a 6 yr old, 12 and 13 yr old. plus a 8 yr old stepson. Easier when they are close together imo.

I had 2 children 16 months apart , I know it isn’t always this way but my older one felt pushed out. Always wanting to be on my lap, hugged and played with her brother but still felt that I wasn’t giving her enough this never changed for her, I gave her more than my other children but it wasn’t as much as she needed. You health may be impacted by this ,I have been told that it takes 2 years for your body to be ready to carry another baby

It’s hard work I’ve got 2 kids who are 18 months apart

My middle son and youngest son is 14 months apart. I’m 18 weeks pregnant. My youngest and newborn will b 14 months apart to. I didn’t tell any one I was pregnant with my 4th baby til 15 weeks bc I really didn’t want to hear “aren’t u done yet” “why so fast” ect. I love my kids close in age I love just having big family all together. My oldest is 4. I’m 23. I feel Okay I have my bad days where I feel so depressed I just dont want to do anything but then i hear my 21 month old yell “mommy” or my 8 month old reaching for me or my 4yr old saying “come play with me” and it does help. My body handles pregancys very well tho. Only thing I dont like personally is it takes longer to lose the weight and get back to my weight I’m comfortable with. Other then my one son in his terrible 2s literally. Crying over everything or running away thinking its funny or cute :expressionless::unamused: I love close ages. Heres pic of my 3 this yr with Santa

1 Like

Good luck :joy: it’ll be hectic!

Insane! :sweat_smile: I have two boys, a 2.5yr old (3 in March) and almost 18 month old, 17 months apart! Every day is a new adventure with these two
I’m there jungle gym most days :joy: Love these turd nuggets so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I had 3girls in 2years and 4months, also had 2boys aged 5and4,we all survived ok

2 years apart is good. I’ve got 9 kids, they’re 17, 15, 13, 12, 11, 9, 7, 3, 1.

3 kids in 3 years was a lot

1 Like

I have my trouble twins they’re 13 months apart they’re best friends :heart:

I have 4 children. 6, 5, 3, 1. The older 2 are 14 months apart, middle 2 are 20 months apart, and theres 22 months between the youngest 2. I am perfectly healthy and had 0 problems with any delivery and they are all perfectly healthy. My doctor never had concerns because I had no complications. I love that they are all close and get to grow up together. But the fighting amongst them some days is unreal. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

It’s different for everyone. My older 2 are 13 months apart and practically grew up like twins. They were even confused to be twins by strangers. Now that they’re teens they pretty much hate each other now, but eh, it a family kind of love hate.

Mine are 18mths apart. Its been great.

My youngest 2 are 22 months apart. It was stressful at first with 2 in diapers but got easier once my son was potty trained.

My step daughter and my son are 20 months apart, they love each other so much. They definitely get into it sometimes, but they are very close

My cousin and his wife had 5 children under 6. We all thought they were crazy but every single one of those kids are doing fabulous and winning thousands of dollars in scholarships. I’m sure there were many hard days but all of them are very close. You wouldn’t catch me doing that though. I had my 2 14 mths apart and it was hard. But then again I was happily divorced.

I had my son when my daughter was a week from
Being a year old. It isn’t always easy but to me it’s nice seeing them grow up together…

I have a 9year old…5 and 4 they r a year nd 3 months nd 10 days apart lol, 1 and 9 month old they r 10 months nd 13 days. 5 beautiful hooligans I get to have in my life for the rest of my life i couldnt b happier.

My boys love eachother so much! They are 18 months apart! They are so close! My oldest is turning 2 this month n his brother is turning 6 months this month.

Mine are 18 months apart and drive me mad at times but I wouldn’t have it any other way

My brother and his wife had 5 kids in 6 years. They are all achievers. I he kids are friends, as well as siblings.

When I got pregnant with my second my first was just about to turn 1. When my second was born my first was 22 months. When I got pregnant with baby #3 my #2 was 20 months. Now they are 9,7,5 they get along great fight and get along again. My youngest is 11 months and I wish I didn’t wait so much because now I see it’s better when they are closer to age.

I have 2 boys who are 11 months apart right now i have two 8year olds but one will turn 9 on the 19th they’re my Irish twins. I got pregnant of my second one when my first one was 4 months i had a csection had no complications and they are best friends . Had my 3rd child 5years later and had more complications.

I had 4 all age 4 and younger (we adopted our daughter when she was 7 months) so two 1 year olds a 2 year old and a 4 year old plus our two older boys and we did just fine. It’s not always going to be easy but if you feel you are mentally ready then I say absolutely go for it

I have 3. 12 10 and 8. Wouldn’t have done it any different. I love having mine so close in age.

I have a 1,3,5,6. Best decision ever.

I have 5 kids born 2103,2014,2016,2017 & 2019.

2013 - (18 months later) 2014 baby born - (23 months later) 2016 baby born -( 11 months later) 2017 baby born - (27 months later) 2019 baby born. Eldest turns 7 at the end of this month. Youngest is 2 months old. It just goes on what works for you. People ask how I manage and tbh I don’t know how I do but I do. My kids are my world. They’re close in age but I wouldn’t have them any other way.

My husband and I have a son who is 4 he was born in 2015 and our daughter is 3 she was born in 2016, although I dont have 3 children however it’s nice to have them close in age because they can play with each other even though they do fight over toys sometimes or be mean to each other but that’s a given with brother and sister, I’m only 24 yrs old, but I wouldn’t change anything because they are my world and make me smile every day :grin:

My last 2 are 18 months apart They grew up people thought they were twins. They’re very close, diverse but almost like twins.

You will be tired but itll be worth it, if thats what you want. They will all be close in age and so theyll be close to each other. Id just suggest that you plan you time. Once a week where the kids are raken care of so you can nap or go on a walk or take a relaxing shower.

Having them at 18 months apart makes them extremely close to each other. They will have a bond together so deep. My brother and I were 18 months apart and we were always so close and never held back anything from one another. We both became soldiers.

I had two boys 18 months apart and then had a set of twins girls 22 months later they are very close and they got on very well when they were little

My mom had me and my other siblings 11 months apart and a partial hysterectomy. And has not even been in menopause only Peri menopause she had us in her 30’s and is in her early 60’s now. I also have two children 18 months apart but I decided to wait a year before have anymore this time around.

My sister in law did e kids 2 years apart

I did 4 kids n my oldest was 4 when I gave birth to my 4th she turned 5 when the baby was t months
I had 14 months apart
15 months apart n 2 years

I have 2 boys that are 14 months apart and LOVE it!

1 Like

I have two girls, 14.5 months apart. My oldest is 19.5 months and the baby is 5 months old. Since my oldest began walking at 9 months, there’s been little to no downtime and my infant is a handful, but they love each other very much, and I’m enjoying moment, even on days I want to pull my hair out

My daughter has a 10, 9 and 8 year old 13 months and 11and half months

51 weeks between my sister and myself.

I am 28 have a 8,7,almost6 and almost 5 year old! I had to have a hysterectomy a year and a half ago nothing but girly problems but I love my kids so close!

As long as you can afford all these kids on your own without state assistance, have at it.

15 Likes

If you feel good to do it and your doctor says all is ok then go for it

It’s a matter of healthy habits and resistance …I have 6 children ages 25, 20,18,16,14,13…:heart::blush:

3 Likes

Probably better than 10yrs apart!
At least they’re close in age.

1 Like

If you had healthy baby and pregnancy…then you do you!

I personally loved having only one baby/toddler at a time so I can give them the attention they need. I have 4 kids they were all 4.5-5.5 years apart🥰

2 Likes

Our boys are exactly a year and one week apart. It’s not the easiest thing having two so close in age. But it’s not any more difficult than having them years apart either

2 Likes

I had 3 kids in less than 4 years… all girls!! It was so so so tough the first few years. But now they are absolute best friends. I wouldn’t change it for the world. I know they have a bond that will never change. Even when they are all the same size and fight over everything. Even when you have a small car and have to figure out how to safely put 3 carseats in there.

My only advice is to be strict about potty training so you don’t have more than one kid in diapers at a time. It’s hard but I managed it lol!!

Mine are coming up on 13/15/17 years old!

Don’t stress, mama. Good parenting and love will make all the difference.

Love and luck to you all!

I have 4 kids. The first 2 are 27 months apart and then I waited 4 years before having the next one and then 19 months between the last 2. You will find good things and challenges anyway you do it. My last 2 aren’t close at all. They fight a lot and the middle 2 who are 4 years apart are the best of friends. You never know.

I’d 4 all under 5 it was grand

2 Likes

Its amazing we have 6 and my first 2 are only 10mos apart, then my 3rd is 13 months younger and the 4th is 16 months after his older bro… The 5th is then 3yrs younger and the 6th is 14moths younger than the 5th…the youngest is now 17 and the ride has been amazing
.very busy lives especially with 5 boys and one girl all who play sports. I can do it!!! Hold on it will be amazing😍

I felt it was easier after the 3rd. My first were 2-1/2 years apart and the 2 and 3 were 12 months apart.

I had 3 kids all 22 months apart. Its hectic but they always had friends to play with and costs were the same those young years. I’m now 39 and my youngest is about to be 17.

My oldest are 23 months apart. Waited five years and had two more 15 months apart. The goal was to have the older kids in school by the time I had the second “set”.
Having two “sets” of kids who are close in age is amazing. A bit of a struggle at times, but if highly recommend waiting until your current babies go to school. It allows you to focus solely on them for a time, and then you’ll be able to focus on your new babies while the older ones are at school. Either way- best of luck

My brother and I are 11 months apart (Irish twins). We are the same age for a month and 2 days every year.

You do whatever you want to do! Its your life.
I had three under 5 and was ok with it until breaking up with my unfaithful husband when my youngest was 6 weeks old, then it got real tough real quick. But if you and hubby are stable, then its totally up to you. As far as stress on your body, medical professionals are the people to talk to about that.

Mine are 17 months apart. I have two boys 17 and 18… they always had one another and have each other’s back in everything. I loved it. I dressed them the same :laughing: for years!!!

1 Like

Fair play to you! I have 3 kids. Aged 15, 10 and 4. They all get on wonderfully and I didnt have 2 toddlers together. Win win lol

I gave up at 3 it’s a carnival fun house here :rofl::rofl: but mine are 2 years and three years apart

It’s wild but my last two were exactly 18 months apart i found i was expecting when my middle one was 9 months… now they are 18 and 17 oldest is 24…where did the time go?!? :rofl:

No body’s business but your own…be happy, be healthy and don’t give two shits what anyone else thinks xx

2 Likes

I myself am one of 8. We are 46,45,43,41,36,35,34 and 33. My kids aren’t that close together and I have 3. My oldest is 22 and my youngest is 14 with a 16 year old in the middle.

My oldest 2 were 11 months apart and not planned like that but worked out well but then my oldest is 12 years older than my youngest . As long as all kids are healthy and happy it doesn’t matter

My boys are 20 months apart. It was hectic sometimes but not usually. They have very different personalities. My daughter was 5 when the older son was born so she was in school all day every day by the time the third was born. I didn’t intend for them to be that close together. My first husband had a varicocele and had to have a procedure before I got pregnant with our daughter, it took 8 months. It took 3 months for me to get pregnant for my second and when my ex#2 and I talked about having our last one, the older son was year old and we thought it would take some time before I got pregnant (I was on the pill) so we thought 6 months minimum. It didn’t happen that way, I got pregnant the first month. The older son is active and curious and extroverted, he loved sports and doing anything outdoors. The youngest is introverted, contemplative, reflective, observant and hated sports. Two very different boys. Older son was like his Daddy and younger was like his Mommy. They have always been close and because they are so different they didn’t clash too often, they liked different toys, they handled frustrations and tasks differently. It was busy with diapers, breastfeeding, formula, teething, toilet training and all that but nothing unexpected. Aaron was a bit distressed when Brendan came home but I tried to take him out alone after my husband got home and go grocery shopping and running errands so he had Mommy time without our new baby. I had a solid routine which made life easier for me and them, kids actually love routine. Baths after dinner and bedtime at 7. Storybook and prayers. They are 24, 19 (20 in March) 18 now and are still extremely close. They had the same friends in public school and highschool because of their closeness in age. It was worth the busyness to see how close they are now.

I say it’s your decision. One thing to think about tho, in my early 30s I started having unexpected health problems. My daughter had to go live with my parents and I was fortunate they were willing and able to care for her. Just make sure you’re prepared in case something happens to you or your husband.

My sister and I were born 9mo an 2 weeks apart.

Parenting is never easy no matter how close in age they are. But if you and the hubby feel that you guys are ready for another one screw anyone and their opinions do not let people make you feel bad or sad. Have a HAPPY & HEALTHY New Year.

2 Likes

My mom had 5 kids in 7yrs. and we all turned out great and loved the bonding we had with our parents and siblings. As long as you feel comfortable and your dr. says all is well with you getting pregnant go for it - you know what your body and mind can handle - you’ve done it already with the two you have now it will just be a repeat as the others arrive. Good luck.

I have a 7 year old and a 5 month old and tbh it’s so much less stress having them far apart and my eldest is so kind to his brother… I don’t expect him to look after him but everytime he sees him he’s playing with him. Ans talking to him and when baby needs attention I no my 7 year old isn’t going to be trying to get into the chocolate cupboard or jumping off sofas… I no he will be playing in his room and I can take my eyes off him for a min… With a 2 year old you never can

I had 5 under 6 it was hectic but now I’ve 5 teens and find it worse

3 Likes

Totally what you & your husband feel you can handle .
Think about having triplets or the like & how people have coped with that.

What is right for one person is not necessarily right for the next one .
I had 4 , nearly 5 years between the first 2 ; then 3 in 3,5 years .
Raising children ( future adults) can be challenging regardless of the age difference . Also age differences ( less or more) have no bearing on how close the children will be . It depends on personality to a large degree.
DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT FOR YOU !

1 Like

You have to give your body a chance to have a child to heal have a rest period and to get pregnant again and start the process over. having them more than 18 months apart is probably your best option especially if your doctors are saying that you need to take a rest. A friend of mine had multiple miscarriages when trying to have her first child, and if I remember correctly, she was going for a third child to try having a little bit too soon and the child ended up dying just before birth. She decided to listen to her doctors and be patient and she finally had her first healthy full-term baby that is now a teenager. I say listen to your doctors and have your babies appropriate times apart so that you and that baby are healthy during and after pregnancy.

Do what feels right to you in your heart. I wouldn’t be telling you something new if I said you know it’s going to be chaotic and insane and challenging. However you also know it will be fun and filled with love. Having siblings close in age is a really good thing I think. And my sister and I are 11 months apart (unplanned). It’s a good thing. My grandchildren are about 1 yr. apart and it’s great

Mine are 19,16,8 and twin 2 year olds . You have as many as you want and you never let anyone tell you otherwise . I care and take care of my kiddos and they are such a joy in my life . Some times it’s a circus but they are my monkeys and I love them

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons to it. U just have to decide what u want for ur life circumstances. I have 3 kids…there is 8 years between the 1st and 2nd and 5 years between the 2nd and 3rd. One of the pros was having alot of individual time for each one. They got spoiled in that way…with mom’s love and attention for a good period of time. Created alot of wonderful memories. Plus I wasn’t so exhausted caring for several kids all at once. The downside is that the kids sometimes got bored. Sometimes there would be neighborhood kids to play with or school friends, but not always. Another downside, is that instead of getting everything over with in one shot, it dragged out for years…example: raising kids all at once when ur younger and tend to have more energy instead of dragging it out over a long period of years. If u have all 3 when ur younger, then by the time u reach ur mid 40’s to early 50’s, u will have more freedom…more of ur own life back. Although u will always be a mother, u will have more of ur own life back. Because by that time in life, u start getting tired…really feeling it. So, to be honest, if I had to do all over again I’d choose to have the kids closer together. They will always have a playmate and u won’t be an older and tired (in general) parent. There are more pros and cons to each, but those are the ones that stick out the most for me.

1 Like

I had 3 18 months apart. It was hard having 2 children in diapers and other aspects such as shopping alone with all 3 kids. But I made it through. Now they are adults and very close.

2 Likes

If you got the patience & they are already potty trained then go for it.Everyone has different views,different stories & different living situations.Can be good & crazy for some & could be awesome & a great experience for others.I think it just takes alot of patience.I have 7 kids ranging from 23 down to 3 & 1 grandson & LOTS of patience & great relationship with all my kids & never had to deal with too much of a madness

Mine are 15 months apart and it was hard when they were little, but they are super close.

Are ready to be paying daycare straight for like 8 years? And what about college?

My babies are 2 yrs apart and with my 3rd baby, the doctor couldn’t believe i had them all 2 yrs apart bc of my age. Just bc of my AGE! Smh. I’m 40 so age doesn’t matter. It’s fun, stressful, exciting, tiring etc but its all worth it. You have your babies close in age if you want. It’s your life.

I had 4 kids under the age of 5. 13, 18, and 15 months apart in between the kids. It was chaos and hard and expensive buying diapers of different sizes. The car had a 4 car seats and diaper bags galore. The house way never clean because umm toddlers and babies everywhere. Lol I never left the house and my husband at the time worked 2-3 jobs. It’s fun as hell now that they are all potty trained and can make their own cereal and help with their chores. The play and sing and dance and fight like no other and the house is never quiet now that we added a 5th kid. Lol but clothes get passed down and toys get loved to death. Beat decision I ever made was to have 5 kids. Who knows if I’ll add more but it was worth it.

I have 3 that are close together…my oldest son was born 4/9/08…my youngest daughter 3/4/09…my youngest son 10/27/10… I was pregnant for three years …it was bad…they all have a really close bond

:joy::joy: Ok get ready for this…

I got pregnant with our first son, after I gave birth to him… I was pregnant again 2months later.

Gave birth to our second son, ONE month later…pregnant again!

Then had our Daughter, had a break for 3years then had our 4th… another girl. Then about a month after having her we find out we better get ready to have number 5… another girl.

:woman_shrugging: Currently still alive and slowly going insane

18 Likes

I only have one child but as the oldest sibling of 3 girls all 15 months apart I can tell you from a childs end it sucks I did not get the one on one needed we all couldn’t spend the night out together when we were younger it was too hectic on any of my family members we fought a lot and at times we still do I love them and we are super close but there is such a thing as to close

Think of YOUR mental health. I see you writing back 5 yrs later talking abt depression, etc. Stop

1 Like

Do it how you want. My mom had seven and the first five two years apart. I have a daughter with seven. Me I had three seven years apart. I wanted to be able to concentrate on one at a time. The older ones were great help.

4 kids 4 years between first 2 my boys 2 &1 18 months apart and man i like the spacing so much easier to focus and transition each child than have the diaper rush and potty training goin on …and gives more the bonding time

Do what works for you. I have two that were 10 months apart. Yeah. My daughter was a month old when surprise! Here comes my son. It worked out for us and it can work for you. They are as close as twins and are so happy to have each other and everyday is an adventure and funny with them. They are now 18 and 17. They share 2 months where they are the same age. Irish twins they are called. Never mind anyone else’s opinions. Family is everything. Good luck.

Mine were 91,93,94 and my last one was born in 99 … Tiring/trying yes but I would not of ever had it any other way…

I have 3 under three. Well my twins just turned three and we have a 7 month old. I had the last babe when my husband was deployed. It’s hectic but so fun!

i would suggest talking with your personal doctor before asking advice on the internet. what is healthy and completely easy for one person, may not be for the next. depending on previous pregnancies and births and your own body recovery… every person is going to give a different answer and that still may not be the right answer for you. i mean the duggars did it like 20 times and somehow that lady is still standing, but that doesn’t mean everyone else can or should do that.

1 Like

Well, family planning exists to make sure parents can comfortably raise their kids financial-wise. If you can raise those kids all together, at once without financially making it difficult for them, why not? But remember that raising multiple children at once takes a toll as parents, even just one is a whole lot of hard work already. But if you think you can handle it without making it difficult for the kids or for yourselves as parents, it would be fine. I mean, some parents even have twins, triplets, quadruplets etc., and raised them well(but with A LOT of help, mind you) so if you are ready for all those financial, mental and physical roller coaster, feel free to do so, love :blush::blush::blush::blush:

Listen to your body…there is no right answer I feel. If you conceive naturally quickly and you have all the love and support you need then go for it xx

2 Likes

My 1 st 4 are 14 months and 13 months apart, it was hectic but rewarding also, then I waited 10 years and had a daughter whose 2.5 years older then my youngest son, but the big Gap between my daughters they fought like cats and dogs.

My niece has some 11 months apart. It’s a struggle but the kids are awesome

Ask your doctor. If he thinks you’re healthy enough then have at it. My first two are 2 years and 2 months apart it was perfect for me.

I had 3 kids in 4 years. I survived and so did they lol. They are now 39, soon to be 38 and 36.

3 Likes

Mine are 18 months apart and it was a little difficult but I was forced to become a single mother. Two in diapers was tricky but anything can be managed if you’re willing to work for it. Doctors do recommend waiting 2 years between pregnancies for your own personal health and safety. I had 2 C-Sections back to back and the only problem was the second incision got infected which landed me in the hospital longer but nothing that lasted too long. Good luck to you and your hubs.