How long does a miscarriage last?

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

37 Likes

How far along? It depends on how many weeks you are.

Emotionally it stays with you forever. I had a miscarriage over 30 years ago and I still remember the pain and loss. Physically it depends on how far along you are and whether you had to deliver or have a DNC afterward.

9 Likes

I had a miscarriage 5 years ago I was 7 in half months with identical twins baby girls I still hurt inside and out

19 Likes

It depends. About 8 years ago I miscarried at 8 weeks. Didn’t find out until 13 weeks. The baby still had not passed on its own at this point and I had to have a D&C.

Going through it normally a few days to cpl weeks depending on every woman.

Mine lasted for a little over a week.

I was 4 weeks, the bleeding lasted a week and a half to about 2 weeks and then it took 4 to 6 weeks to have my first period after that, but the emotional pain yes stays with you forever and I recommend you talk to your spouse and other people about it to get advice or to future prepare yourself for the future! I wish you luck momma😇were still mommas even though our babies are in heaven wishing us the best!

4 Likes

My first was about 4 weeks of bleeding. I was 6.5 weeks along but didn’t find out until 10 weeks.

The second and third lasted about a week and I was about 5 weeks along with both.

It all depends on how far along you were. I’ve had 9 and I usually miscarried between 5-11 weeks and they lasted about 1-2 weeks to fully pass and stop bleeding.

I’m sorry you are going through this :heart: Praying for you.

I am 3 weeks in with bleeding with My miscarriage. I was 8 weeks 5 days

1 Like

I was due in September and had an ultrasound in February probably 7-8 weeks I believe. I can’t remember. No heartbeat. They didn’t tell me until I had my prenatal in March and told me my body would absorb it and sent me home. Come July I finally miscarried but it was horrible. I contracted every evening for a few weeks it was slow. My SO and I went to the movies and I spent the night in the bathroom contracting and it finally came out. :cry: but definitely don’t do that. I talked to a dr when I was getting on birth control and she was mad.

17 Likes

My mom lost a baby girl in 1950. I came along two years after. She talked about that baby girl all my life. She had four children after that. But the one baby girl was forever painful.

3 Likes

I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks i had previously birthed 5 kids this was my only miscarriage i wish someone would have told me what was going to happen i bled for 2 weeks in the beginning i had never seen so much blood in my life i went to the hospital a few times i thought i was going to bleed to death i eventually passed the baby i completely had a mental break down im so sorry you are going through this

I was 3 mths and I miscarried after 1-2weeks and then I bled for months. My body has always hurt since too.

1 Like

Ask a doctor…or Google. This is Facebook ffs.

8 Likes

I miscarried before Christmas. Lasted 1.5 weeks. Haven’t bled /had a period for 3 months since it happened.

1 Like

Eeesh I bled for maybe 3-4 days and ended up pregnant again the same month. I’m now due June 23rd.

6 Likes

GO TO AN OB/GYN not Face Book! and sorry for your loss. ( I have been there as well, in my 2nd trimester).

2 Likes

I have never miscarried but had a stillbirth… :broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart:… The pain though…had to give birth naturally because apparently the cervix was dilated … I was full term :broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart:

13 Likes

I was 7 weeks along and mine lasted 48 hours

I really don’t know the answer but, when I miscarried I stayed up all night with lower back pain. Then sometime that morning I ended up passing my baby at home. And everything seemed OK til it wasn’t and I ended up driving myself to the ER and passed the placenta and all there.

My grandmother had a miscarriage she told me about and she about 5 months along and she said it lasted about 24 hours… until she finally went to the hospital (her husband wouldn’t take her any sooner).

I hope it’s okay but I will be saying a prayer for you! It’s a hard thing to go through and even harder if have to go through it alone!! Feel free to message if just need to vent because I know a lot of people don’t talk about miscarriage and most don’t know how to tall about it! Will be keeping you in prayers!!!

3 Likes

I’m actually going through this right now and I’m so sorry you’re going through it as well. My OB said bleeding can last for 2 weeks up to 35 day according to how far along you were and if you need a D&C or not. I hope this helps.

Mine was about a month

Physically is different for each person! Mentally for your entire life

It depends, sometimes your body can naturally miscarry and sometimes it needs help. Also some people bleed longer then other. I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s hard going through a miscarriage. It’s not your fault, miscarriages happen. It’s important you know that and you take the time you need to grieve.

1 Like

I was 12 weeks and mine lasted 9/10 days. :yellow_heart:

I’m so sorry. I’ve been there. Mine lasted well over a week and I ended up hemorrhaging. Luckily I was at the obgyn. I still remember the day and the due date. Prayers your way :heart:

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss… go see your OBGYN love

Mine lasted almost 2 weeks and I was 9 weeks.

Miscarriage are very dangerous I miscarried last year December at 10 weeks I hemorrhaged i lost 5 pints of blood my heart nearly stopped blacked out twice I couldn’t get into theatre for emergency surgery due to covid so they had to scoop it all out by hand 5 times :sob: worst pain ever I had 2 blood transfusions and finally had surgery to remove the rest of the tissue etc 2 days later as the blood loss was just not ending I nearly died twice if you’re worried go get checked xx

3 Likes

I miscarried at 6 weeks and the bleeding lasted about a week and a half

I just finished going through my second miscarriage. My first one I was only about 5 weeks along and I bled for 2 weeks. My second one was harder. I was 7 weeks along and had a lot of cramping up until the day before the bleeding stopped. I bled for 3 weeks with the second one. I’m sorry for your loss. It truly is a pain like no other to grieve a baby you’ve never met :broken_heart::cry:

Sorry for your loss. Usually depends on how far along you were. Also everyone is different

When I had mine I was 11 weeks. I was still bleeding 2 weeks after, ended up having to have a dnc becuse of how much I was bleeding. After my dnc I continued to bleed for another 2ish weeks

A miscarriage should never last longer than a few weeks. If your body has not emptied the uterus on its own in that time frame you need to see your doctor for a procedure to clean you out. In no way should it be months.

It depends. Every miscarriage is different. I’ve had one that lasted 4 weeks, 3weeks, 2 weeks and a few days. Worst pain to little pain. Home miscarriage to being admitted and having surgery to have the rest of the tissue removed.

I started spotting at 6 weeks, confirmed loss at 8 weeks, passed the sac at 10 weeks.

I have miscarried twice now 1st was twins at 10 weeks second was a baby girl at 20 weeks.
1st was a dnc removal and I bled for around 3 weeks.
My 2nd was the worst I started spotting around 16 weeks was confirmed at 20 weeks had to go through it naturally and she started to break in to bits and she got stuck at my cervix had he removed via forceps I bled after for around 6 weeks. Its the worst thing any mother should have to go through. I really do sympathise you so much the pain goes away but the memory is always there :heart::heart::heart:xxx

5 Likes

I’ve had two MC’s and one ectopic, all around 8 weeks gestation. The first was a DnC and lasted about a month. The second time my new gyno suggested I give it a week, no longer than two weeks to miscarry naturally but then he’d schedule a DnC after that. I really didn’t want another DnC. At one week along I went to an acupuncturist, and my body miscarried naturally that same night. Bleeding was about two weeks after. I feel for you :broken_heart: it’s a toll mentally, emotionally and physically.

:broken_heart: I miss carried at 10 weeks. Went in for my 12 week and there was no heart beat to be found. I waited 8 weeks for body to naturally heal and each time I had an ultrasound they were still present. I could not take the emotional toll anymore and I opted for a D&C. It was emotionally difficult and those effects are probably still present though I have found ways to cope. I delivered a healthy rainbow baby girl April 2020, I am now 12 weeks with our 3rd baby and today is my 12 week ultrasound. I still have PTSD and I am dreading this ultrasound the most and praying for a heartbeat. I have to trust in God’s even though I don’t think it’s fair. Everything happens for a reason and that’s all I have to hold onto especially when it comes to this situation. I’ll pray for you heart and body to heal and that you find peace. Talk about it. You will find that there are many women who unfortunately experience this :two_hearts: stay strong

5 Likes

My heart breaks for each and every one of you. Sending you all big hugs :two_hearts:

1 Like

Can last over a week. Had one at 5 weeks and I was still passing stuff and bleeding some a little over a week later. Stopped at almost two weeks and was sore for two more weeks. Hate to hear it. Get checked out if worried. Talk if you need too.

My first lasted a day, I was 8 weeks along. My second lasted a week, I was 20 weeks along resulting in an emergency DNC because my wouldn’t fully pass the baby on its own. That one was more like actual labor though, contractions and all the same as when I gave birth to my rainbow baby.

Every women is extremely different when it comes to this. Some last for a week and others require medical intervention to help please speak with your dr and ask these questions
I have had 6 miscarriages each one was so different from the other

1 Like

I had 6, and they were all different. My first was at 16 weeks, and my body did the work, but I ended up with pp hemorrhage, so if you are filling a pad in less than an hour, go to emergency. My next two were early loss at 6 weeks and my body did the work in about two weeks. My next two were 10&11 weeks, and my body did the work in about 3 weeks. My last was 10 weeks, my body tried, but I noticed a change in consistency and odor of discharge, and went in, I had remnants and infection and required a D&C and antibiotics.
The main point is everyone is different and even every time can be different for the same person. If you have any concerns, get checked, and if you notice changes, get checked.

1 Like

Depends. My baby passed at 7 weeks, I didn’t find out until 12 weeks. My sister’s took about 3 months. Definitely depends on the person. I opted for a d and c … my sister did not

My last miscarriage it took me a month to get my hcg down to 0. I bleed hard for a week and a half straight and then spotted on and off for a month