How long does it take to get pregnant while breastfeeding?

Please no judging!!

Question for breastfeeding Mama’s who have successfully gotten pregnant while breastfeeding.

My daughter is only 9 days old, so this isn’t something I want to do right now but within the next few months.

We have 2 children, and want one more and want our third close to our second.

I am exclusively breastfeeding my little one. She eats roughly every 3 hours and every 4-5 at night time.

I’m hoping to hear some successful stories of fertility during breastfeeding?

I heard fertility usually doesn’t return until 9-20 months after birth if your EBF. That makes me so sad!

Anybody get pregnant within 3-6 months after giving birth while EBF?

How long did it take you to conceive again?

Any tips to restore fertility afterwards? I stopped post partom bleeding today. And based on what I’ve read I don’t know when my first period will return.

Just hoping to hear some words of encouragement.

5 Likes

I know no one who did it on purpose but I have 2 friends who got pregnant by accident while breast feeding

1 Like

I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant with my second the week my oldest was 9 months old. There are lots of people who get pregnant straight after giving birth. That is what Irish twins are, babies born within 12 months of each other.

1 Like

I wasn’t able to conceive until I dropped nursing sessions down to 2 times a day, my breastfeeding baby was between 8 and 9 months old, as soon as I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd, my milk dried up completely because of the hormones from the pregnancy. My ex and I tried for him since about 8 weeks after giving birth to my breastfeeding baby at the time. So it took time and dropping nursing sessions down to 2 times a day for it to happen for me

My mother in law got pregnant with her second child when her first born was 4 months. My only advice would be that you make sure your body is ready to go through the physical changes so soon.

2 Likes

I don’t have personal experience with this but I know lots of people who have gotten pregnant within a year of having a baby

1 Like

I think it’s easily possible! But I think your supposed to let your body heal, and wait up to 12 months before trying again? I’m not sure but I’d just do some research :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Keep practicing and keep us posted. I’d like to know how soon it happens for you. You got this momma. :raising_hand_woman:
But for now hugs and kisses to your new addition

1 Like

I didn’t get a period at all until I quit breastfeeding

1 Like

I ebf my baby, no pacifiers, got pregnant when she was 18 months.

I fell pregnant with my second when my son was 8 months old it took awhile but we got there in the end. Now my son’s are 17 months old and 3 weeks old. It’s tough getting used to but we are slowly getting used to it (breast feeding both still)

1 Like

I got pregnant right after he turned 3. That was with trying and fertility apps and everything

I got pregnant with my 4 when my third was only 3 months old and i was ebf. I also only have 1 ovary. So it is possible.

I got pregnant with my 4 when my third was only 3 months old and i was ebf. I also only have 1 ovary. So it is possible.

My youngest two are 14 months apart, my brother and I are 10 months apart. It’s very possible, I wanted them that close. I just used my old period tracker, still predicted my fertile times of month and it seemed to work for us

I have family who are almost exactly 9mos apart.

I got pregnant at 5 months exclusively breastfeeding. As soon as your little one starts eating solids, exclusively breastfeeding no longer can be used as a form of birth control!
I’d also be careful because I lost my production when LO was 10 months old due to my pregnancy therefore he self weened. If you are bent on breastfeeding for a while, to be on the safe side I’d wait a little bit to get pregnant. But if you are willing to supplement I’d just say track your ovulation and keep trying! It’ll happen!

Had my baby in March and there’s a lot of girls in my March moms group who are pregnant… most of them EBF.

Success! My kids are exactly 1 yr and 5 days apart. I think it depends on genetics ect but i breastfed the whole time and didnt have an trouble conceiving. I think i got my period a month after having my first kid but we waited another month after that before trying since i ripped having my first and was hesitant to have sex again. Anyway, we successfully conceived and i continued to breast feed for most of the second pregnancy but eventually my supply wasnt meeting the demand and i had to substitute formula but shes super healthy and smart so no harm done and my second went full term and perfectly healthy

You don’t need to have a period to get pregnant, you just need to ovulate, breast feeding does not stop ovulation so yes it is possible to get pregnant while ebf, I got pregnant with my son 6 months after my periods stopped because of a medication I shouldn’t have been put on, I was shocked because I didn’t think I was even ovulating since I wasn’t having periods and we were trying for a long time before that

My cousin.strickly breast feed…her kids are 15 months apart…I laughed because she wasn’t supposed to be able to get pregnant at all…they were saving for IF…then a miracle happened …then second beautiful baby…one tube was gone and the other damaged…so you never know what great things can happen

My son was 14 months when I got pregnant with my daughter and she was 18 months when I got pregnant with my now 20 month old girl and I was breastfeeding

I got my period when my daughter turned 4 months. Still EBF and no second baby

I’ve known women who were pregnant at their 6 week PP check up.

1 Like

Breastfeeding is not a birth control, according to an old wives tale it is lol. Anyways i had a bad delivery, lost a lot of blood and was hospitalized for 5 days. I did not let my husband near me for 4.5 months. Finally after 4.5 months I felt ready and boom, pregnant. All it took was 1 time. I was fulltime breastfeeding and still got pregnant after 1 time.

1 Like

Let your body R E S T, I did get pregnant while breastfeeding, my son was 1 and a half tho.

1 Like

You have to wait till you got your period back

I got pregnant when my daughter was 3 months old! We started “trying” when she was only 2 weeks old🤗 all things considered it didn’t take us very long to have another🤪