How long should kids play video games?

Should kids have unlimited access to video games? My sister doesn’t monitor how long her kids are playing and it kinda bugs me. They are teens but I feel like they should still be limited in my opinion. I would never let my kids play that much or at all…whenever I decide to have kids.

208 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How long should kids play video games? - Mamas Uncut

Not your kids, not your “problem”. Myob. Worse things could happen to a child then video games.

15 Likes

Aslong as chores are done, homework done, room is tidy and their not getting i to fights on them if they want to spend their tine on games ots fine i dont limit my kids

10 Likes

My cousin is 16 and plays games none stop
We don’t care that he doing it the way we look at it is at least he isn’t out somewhere and getting himself into trouble

5 Likes

Doesn’t matter what you think.

4 Likes

You do you boo and leave the parenting up to the parents :smirk:

13 Likes

Mine is naturally limited because he is in so many sports he doesn’t have much time for games but when he has free time he has no time limit to play… I think it’s hilarious that someone with no kids wants to tell someone else how to parent. :woman_facepalming: If they aren’t your kids it’s none of your business.

5 Likes

Get a life!!! Or have your own kids,

7 Likes

My 10 year old plays whenever she wants. Not your kids and you don’t have kids so you can’t say you would or wouldn’t do it too… things are different when you are a parent

2 Likes

Lmao stop it. It doesn’t matter

1 Like

Good thing they’re her kids, not yours. Also I’d seriously cool it with the “I would never” bs since you don’t even have kids :rofl:

7 Likes

“Whenever I decide to have kids” lol

5 Likes

It’s easy as a person who doesn’t have kids to make judgement on those that do. Suggestion to keep those thoughts to yourself unless you are parenting them.

4 Likes

Okay seriously that’s none of your business. Have kids first…. You literally don’t know what it’s like.

4 Likes

As long as their responsibilities are taken care of and they are bathing, let them 3xplore their own interests. Some kids are gamers, some kids just want to play sports, some kids get involved in choir and drama and some kids read non stop. They are individuals and everybody has their “thing”

5 Likes

It is ok to bug you. I would think though to not say anything to your sister about it. Coming from a parent who has had many people tell her she is not doing well enough only to be doing the best I can is disheartening. Let your sister raise her kids like she wants to she is probably doing her best. Even better why don’t you offer to take them out and away from electronics.

4 Likes

A lot if games encourage problem solving and definitely reading. I used to play a ton of role playing games growing up and it didn’t hurt me. Those games have a storyline and a lot of puzzles. If it’s a mindless shooter I would probably limit it though.

3 Likes

ever notice how it’s the people with no kids who are the perfect parents :rofl:

8 Likes

Why are you in this group….

2 Likes

If my sister ever said this to me, I’d be telling her ‘mind your own bloody business’.

4 Likes

Mind your own business you parent anyway you want and let her parent anyway she wants

1 Like

Nah…I have a almost 8 year old boy and a 15 year old girl. I don’t limit their phone/computer time as long as homework done/bedrooms are clean etc! My daughter is out with her friends most of the time but always has her phone with her so is probably on it most of the time…and as long as my little boy has done an hours learning and reading, had a bath etc. Then yeh boy you go play on ur computer or ipad! Gives me time to myself and he comes off at 9 (or 10) for bed! I’m not sorry, I’m sane

1 Like

No. Your kid could make a living… Oh wait it’s not your kid well still

1 Like

Girl, why are you worried about someone else’s kids?:joy:

6 Likes

Not your kids, not your problem. What she chooses to let her kids do is her choice. Not yours.

2 Likes

It’s always the ones without kids who think they will show parents how to parent better for Gods sake

5 Likes

Guess it’s a good thing then that they aren’t YOUR kids to be worrying about. And until you have your own kids and know what it’s really like maybe you should just sit back down and hush sweetie :shushing_face:

8 Likes

My son is really tech savvy. His 12 and this is the field he wants to go in. His doesn’t have the fancy Xbox or ps 4/5 stuff but a super baby… his PC which he uses his pocket money to update and so on. His a full on gamer. He learned to read from his games which helped him enjoy it he now fully understand coding and is able to build games and apps. His a top 3 achiever at school and his such a easy little guy. So he gets to pay from 4pm to 8pm during a school week and whenever he wants weekend and holidays as long as his homework and project are up to date. Our children can actually learn alot from healthy screen time… We also do alot of different language series but with subtitles to enhance reading.

It’s always the “Whenever I decide to have kids” people :roll_eyes::unamused:

3 Likes

During the school term mine don’t play games at all
They have school work extra lessons chores and have to be in bed at a reasonable hour
During holidays they are allowed to play for a while but not all day

2 Likes

If you want to start an argument then you should definitely tell someone how to raise their kids. If she doesn’t live with you or it has absolutely no effect on you then your opinion is also invalid. It’s 2022, not only is this the way kids learn information (from a screen), but video games improve hand eye coordination, spatial navigation, reasoning, memory, and perception. These benefits were specifically found in shooter games. They also improve children’s ability to think about things in 3 dimensions the same way academic courses teach. In short, shut your mouth and do a little reading and mind your own business. Your way of thinking is archaic and outdated.

Honestly I believe they should have limits but honestly it’s not your place as it’s not your child so unfortunately as much as it bugs you, you just have to deal and get over it :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Always the people who don’t have kids that have the best ideas …… wait till you have kids then decide what is best …

2 Likes

Come back about 5 years after you have kids lol till then you don’t get to have opinions like that about others

2 Likes

You have zero control over how someone ELSE parents their children.

People without kids using the phrase “I WOULD NEVER LET MY KIDS” … is silly. Please… make a list of things you swear you’ll never do with your kids, then have em. And see how many of those things change :joy::nail_care:

12 Likes

Oh the things I said I wouldn’t do, before I was a mother🤣

2 Likes

Whose children are they?? …… Not yours, I would stop concerning yourself with someone else’s kids!

4 Likes

Well considering our society was shut down for over 2 years, kids are being abducted/trafficked at alarming rates, sometimes allowing the kids to socialize with friends online playing games is better than nothing!
I let my kids play video games more often than I would like, but it actually is fun for all 4 of my kids to bond and play together and help each other level up and get other achievements.

While there can be an unhealthy amount of video games, in this world right now, video games are the least of our worries for our kids.

5 Likes

You have no idea until you have kids what you honestly will or will not do…

1 Like

In my opinion screentime should be monitored and limited. However not your circus, nor your monkeys.

2 Likes

I’d be more concerned about why you’re so concerned about someone else and their kid’s. Sister or not. She’s not you and her kids aren’t yours.

6 Likes

The kids fed? They safe? They loved? If the answer to all of those is yes, who cares. My sister’s and I all have different ideas on parenting but we’re all great mums if I do say so myself. Don’t feel too bad tho, I was a perfect mum before I had kids as well. Knew exactly what to do with special needs kids until I had my own as well :rofl::joy: The best thing you can do is stop judging her and love and support her instead :heart:

6 Likes

Lol mind your business

2 Likes

Not your children?? Not your decision!!

1 Like

It’s easy to judge when you don’t have kids, I was raised on a strict schedule of having 2 hours of chores before I could have 1 hour of computer time on Sundays, that being said my mom was a stay at home mother and when I had the reigns lessened on me as a teen I may have gone a bit overboard and I somewhat made an identity for myself by playing games to define myself as a gamer, I have game systems available for my kids with games that are age appropriate and also have mostly educational or at least something that can help woth forms of learning, as well as they have educational tablets they can use as well I may not limit them but I try to make sure they aren’t playing online with random kids that may cyber bully, I know others probably look down on me for letting them do so but I think it’s good for them and the amount of things my kids have learned from those games and whatnot it’s beautiful to listen to them excitedly talk about a game they’re enjoying at the moment i don’t want to discourage them. From learning anything and games are no different I’d rather they have active minds rather than have inactive ones like just watching cartoons or worse doing nothing, I don’t want them to grow up too fast and realize it’s all life is is this boring work home life or work school home life if they can have something to take the mundane of life and make it exciting or have something to look forward too then I’m happy they have that I know some people would say to read a book or play outside but video games aren’t worse than that other than maybe being slightly worse on the eyes however lcd screens are better than the old cathode ray tube screens I grew up on, life sucks enough let them have fun

6 Likes

Imaginary kids are the easiest to raise :rofl:

10 Likes

:100: your sisters decision and no one else’s!

2 Likes

Not your kids…and I just loooove when childless people say “when I have kids my kids would never …” :rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming: Also when childless people judge a parent for choices they make for THEIR children! :rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming: uh uh don’t do that!

4 Likes

Lmfaoooo the amount of times I’ve heard kidless people say ‘I would never let my kids do that when I have them’ and then do the exact some things! Mind your own business for one and two you’re not a parent so don’t put your 2 cents in when it’s not wanted or needed. Good luck with your future crotch goblins sweety….Maybe save your post so you can look back on this in a few years and laugh your ass off like me :joy::joy::joy:

I swear the people with no kids talk the most shit…how does something that has nothing to do with you bug you?? No games at all?? Man I wouldn’t want to be one of your kids…when you have them :roll_eyes::joy: I bet this didn’t go how she planned​:woman_facepalming::joy::joy::joy:

It’s the apocalypse, let ‘‘em be.

1 Like

You answered your own problem when you said “Whenever I decide to have kids…” So you don’t have kids. Those are your sister’s kids. Mind your business. Don’t like it, don’t watch.

2 Likes

“Whenever you decide to have kids” stfu :shushing_face:

She is not you so let her handle her kids the way she see fits. It’s not about you and never say never. Just be their auntie and stop judging them.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: when u have kids come back and let’s discuss this topic. For now it’s above your ovaries and none of your business :woman_shrugging:t5:

8 Likes

Girl, I agree with you!
No I don’t. I just didn’t see that posted here yet.
My favorite thing to say to people (like you) with nothing better to do with their lives is this:
When you mind your business, you have more time to mind your business. Get a hobby, a pet, a boyfriend, or a nose to put on your face since you got it somewhere else… and for the love of everything, don’t have children. You’re not ready for that - ever.

5 Likes

As long as they are having fun and are safe why does it matter? I grew up playing video games all day everyday and id let me kids do the same if they wanted it mind your business and let your sister raise her kids how she wants to raise them :hugs:

1 Like

This has got to be a troll post for comments and reacts lol… well good job👍

2 Likes

Why would how someone else raises their kids bug you? And you don’t have a clue what you will or won’t do when you have kids. I promised myself my kids wouldn’t even know what junk food was until at LEAST age 8. Ask me how well that worked out. Go ahead. Ask. :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

‘When I have kids’ says it all really, most of us probably had the same views before we had kids or our kids became teens, believe me kids and everything they come with are a whole other level, some arguments just aren’t worth fighting especially if they are getting things done that they need to do

6 Likes

Wait a minute… wait, wait, wait… :thinking:

You don’t have kids??? BUT you, not only, want to tell someone how to raise theirs but you are judging them too. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Minding your business will take you far in life.

5 Likes

You don’t get an opinion on someone else’s kids. Next.

6 Likes

This can’t be real…someone is typing this insane crap up to get people to comment and get all worked up. Why would someone that doesn’t even have kids be on a “mamas uncut” group???

4 Likes

It depends on the circumstances. If a teenager is sitting in their room continually playing games alone cos they have nothing else to do or people to hang out with. My 15 yo spends a fair bit of time online gaming but it’s with a group of friends who also have that interest. So there’s a social aspect to it too which is good for him. It was a lifesaver during lockdown too as he could still have contact with his friends. It’s always easy to judge till it’s you in the position.

2 Likes

I think it’s different for each family and child. If the child has a problem managing other responsibilities and the games are an area of concern, then yes, limiting time can help structure their days and responsibilities. But if it is not an issue then it doesn’t need to be limited in my opinion. I have one child I monitor the screen time and video games due to excessive playing and behaviors surrounding the games. My other child has the skills to manage the time allotted, and the only thing I really limit is phone usage, at night so she has limited interruptions during the school week, but I do have access to all her accounts and check on them regularly. I think you have to really understand how your kid functions and not expect them to be like every other kid, or treat them like your family pet instead of an individual human being. There is no “cookie cutter” parenting, we all have our own ways that aren’t wrong just different from another.

1 Like

Ya jst Gota love aunties who think ther mothers🙄esp wen they don’t have kids …mind ya own business

10 Likes

You have no right too say anything you don’t have children

6 Likes

Although I take note of your concern, I think your sister knows how to handle her family.
Instead of judging or making suggestions, perhaps get involved and introduce the children to new activities without coming across judgemental.

8 Likes

My Grandsons had to read a book for an hour to win 30 minutes of video games. Turned out they loved reading more!

2 Likes

I play games with my kids. As long as my kids have good grades I’m fine.

3 Likes

See where you said “when I ever decide to have kids” ma’am you say that now but you won’t know what you would do till you get there … I would always say I wouldn’t let my child drink soda at a young age… let’s just say ask how that went just ask…. Just mind your business rather they play video games than be in the streets up to no good . Just go sit down somewhere with your judging as* self … :+1:t2:

6 Likes

I let my kids play online as much as they want. So far 3 have grown. 2 run successful businesses and at 26 and 23 are self sufficient living very well out in the world. One is in his second year of uni and also works to support himself. Just imagine my grief at how gaming alot has ruined their lives. How will I stop this happening to my younger children. :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You don’t have kids but want to try and parent your sisters TEENAGERS? Umm yeah okay :joy::joy: good luck

18 Likes

:laughing: come back and tell us again after you have kids I bet you’ll have a different outlook so zip it :zipper_mouth_face: til u have kids

4 Likes

Don’t you have enough of your own business to mind?

7 Likes

Not only are these not your children, but you have no experience in raising children. So you’re opinion is invalid

6 Likes

So you have no kids but think you know how to raise kids ok then.

2 Likes

My son playes as much as he wants when he wants every one parents different and until u have kids u will never know

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: come back here when you have kids… don’t judge your sister she’s doing a remarkable job… tell us about screen time of any sort and how wrong it is when you are able to successfully avoid it all together :unamused:

3 Likes

Definitely the dumbest post I’ve seen on here :joy:
Like why do the admins even post these ones just so the op can be totally destroyed?

4 Likes

My kids weren’t gonna watch a lot of tv before age 3!!! Haha :joy: joke was on me and my daughter was 6 months when covid hit!

2 Likes

Well good thing they aren’t your kids. :woman_facepalming:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Yeah good luck with that!!! You need to walk in someone’s shoe before you place judgement.
Why does it bother you so much?

What a cliche :joy: “when I have kids I’ll never do this…” altho FR. My intermediate aged son, his friends are constantly on the ps4. They must think I’m a real bitch :joy: always take it off son, he has to earn his time on it.

Please don’t come at me but. . .

It’s so hard to parent kids when you don’t actually have any of your own to parent? Until you have kids darling, please don’t judge or try to parent other people kids. There’s a very big difference between expectation and reality. And trust me, when it comes to raising children, reality hit you in the face like a bitch.

Uhm, it’s none of your business and not for you to judge. :woman_shrugging:t2: go ahead and say something to your sister, you’ll have a lot more to bug you then. :roll_eyes:

My life change when I started trading with mr frank Roger company he help me and my family i highly. recommend him to everyone on Facebook click on the name below to contact him
:point_down::point_down::point_down:
Frank Roger

You think you would never til you actually have kids

2 Likes

I let my son have it pretty much whenever. He’s such a good boy that I’m not going to limit what he likes. Now if he was a little badass he wouldn’t have such privileges. At least her teens are at home playing video games when they could be out doing drugs and committing crimes

Must be nice to be so perfect!

8 Likes

Surley it’s up to your sister her rules her kids you can have your opinion but it’s really up to her what she does and no you may not like it but your not there all the time you only see when you are there i think far to many people are judgemental on what others are doing just focus on yourself

3 Likes

Why don’t you offer to play with your nieces/nephews, take them out, or offer to do arts and crafts with them maybe your sister needs the extra hand Miss Perfect.

7 Likes

I love the list of "I would never "that I had before 4 kids :rofl: it’s like wanting to be an adult when you’re little, just to realize when you grow up, you had no clue what it really means to be an adult

16 Likes

Not your kids not your business

5 Likes

:woozy_face::rofl:you didn’t even have to say you don’t have kids, everyone with kids in the comment section could automatically tell…how about mind the business that pays you.

6 Likes

Always the beat parenting advise from people who don’t have kids. Lol

4 Likes

Get some business of your own and mind it!

2 Likes

Before kids: “My kids would never!”

After kids- Look at those kids…over there nevering…

:rofl: Good luck with that, also stay out of your sisters’ business. All kids are different. Some know how to play video games in moderation.

11 Likes

Guys this out of control I think she’s just asking out of curiosity and a worried aunt. I don’t like my kids on screen time but honestly as long as they are sharing and being nice towards each other it’s not bad, when they start being mean and getting in an addictive mode then they will go days/weeks without it I usually go by their actions :grin:

1 Like