How long were you dating before you got engaged?

2.5 years he proposed, 3.5 years we got married. Been married over 4 years now :slightly_smiling_face: :two_hearts:

2yr Dating anniversary December 29
1yr Engagement anniversary Feb 18

8 years and 2 kids later.

After 8 months of dating he proposed and we didn’t get married until 5 years later. We just had our 5 year wedding anniversary yesterday.

Friends for 3 years (in relationships with others at the time) then when we were both single, we got together for 5 years before he proposed. We’d been talking about it for a year before he popped the question. We had a long engagement (nearly two years), because our first little miss came along, and we wanted to save enough to have a big day. So after seven years, we got our big day, and even bigger honeymoon. We’ve been married two years now. Together for ten. Known each other for 13. It worked for us, because neither of us like to make quick decisions. But that’s just us. I’ve been in a relationship for years before, and it went very sour after a few years. If I was going to marry him, I wanted to be absolutely certain in my own mind thta that wouldn’t happen again. But that’s just me. You do whatever feels right for you x

Been together 17 years. Happily unmarried. 2 kids. Legal papers done (wills, reciprocal powers of attorney, etc). I own our house and cars. He owns our businesses. We’ve promised each other to never break up.

2 Likes

My husband says we were engaged after our first date … lol And we kinda were but officially we had been official for a little over a year and knew one another for several years before that. I think it can be different for every couple and situation but I think a man should know in no more than 2 to 3 years personally. I wouldn’t wanna wait more than that to figure it out for myself. Even if you aren’t engaged at that point I think you should have a game plan by then and know where it is going!

We started dating Sept 2015, got engaged Feb 2016 but didn’t get married until June 2018. I knew the first time I saw him in person (met online) I was going to marry him and he still is my person. Altogether we’ve been together 5 years and 2 months :heart:

6 months, started dating 12-29-17. He proposed 06-04-18 and we got married 06-27-18. Been together almost 3 years now, but I knew he was the one on our first date. It was literally love at first sight :heartpulse:

After 1 1/2 years and we’ve been married for almost a year December 6 is our anniversary. So we have been together all together 2 1/2 years​:heart::nazar_amulet::blush:

Me and mine been together 5 years never officially got engaged or married talked about it for a few years I still call him my husband and he calls me his wife

2 Likes

two week …but it took him six months to ask me out on our first date…we were married six years when.i lost him to cancer 9 years ago…he was my love at first sight. and will be until the day I die…i miss you manly

4 Likes

There is no too long or too short every relationship is different. You can’t o
Compare high school sweethearts to a couple that met in their 40s. My fiance and i have been together for 5 years. He proposed 4 months in. A marriage is just a piece of paper. And if you think its more then you’re really not ready

1 Like

About 2 weeks then we got married.Been married 48 years,Still very happy xx

2 Likes

Scientifically over a year. It takes a year for infatuation to wear off

It’s been 7.5 years and I’m still waiting on a ring I’ve told him that’s all I want for Christmas :joy:

1 Like

Started talking in August of 2005 dating on September 19 2005 and moved in October 2 2005

Dated a year and two months, engaged a year and ten months. Currently married for three months.

Together 7 months before he proposed. Planned a wedding in 5 months. Been married just shy of 13 years now.

Friends for 3 months, dated 1.5 years, engaged in May of 06, married December 06, Married for 14 years this year with 3 kids

10 months from starting to date

6 months met in the July 1997 he proposed in the August 1997 married December 1997 married 23 yrs

We were dating for 9 years before we got married

1 Like

Dated 2.5 years before we got engaged. And we actually had a long engagement too.

Started dating in July 1984. Proposed in December 1984. Married October 1986. Been married 34 years

Engaged a month after meeting. Married the next year. 12 years later with 2 beautiful little ones.

Relax and go with the flow, we are all different :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Started dating in 95, engaged in 97 married in 2000. We were going to get married in 98 but my mother decided if she wasn’t going to get her way then she won’t come. Then my dad got really sick fast and passed. He left me, his only daughter 15 grand for my wedding. I know 15 grand isn’t a lot but back in 2000 it was. It paid for my entire wedding + dress + honeymoon

Dated off and on for about 10 years before we got married. Of that 10 we were together for about 8. Been married for a little over a year now.

We dated 10 years before we got engaged… lol

My husband asked my father for my hand 14 times before he gave him the ok, we got engaged after two years together, and we married on October 31st of this year 4 years later.

Met in September proposed in late June. Married in November

1 Like

We started dating in 2013. Had our baby this year followed by getting engaged. The wedding is next year.

Met June 06, moved in June 07, knocked me up August 08. I told him I was too old for nonsense, and either he knew he wanted in or he needed to get tf out, so it was just sort of an agreement to marry. Civil ceremony in March of 09. Still no proposal, but we had an actual wedding in June of 12. Going strong for 14.5 years with 2 kids, and not a year goes by that I don’t remind him he could have officially proposed to me a 1000 different times and he never did. Gotta love him for putting up with it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We dated like a year in a half to 2 years before he proposed. Then here it is 7 years later and we finally just got married a month ago

I was with a guy for 6 years and would freak out if I even mentioned marriage left him ,met my husband 2 weeks after that engaged new years eve that was after 6 months ,married 6 months after that . celebrating 10 years on june 2021. So my point is you know when you know I dont think there’s a time limit but at least make sure you’re on the same page.

1 Like

I lived with my late husband 11 years before we got married and it lasted 30 years and ive been with rod 11 years now and we are still going strong dont know if ill marry him but i will keep him with me where ever we go

Inseperable 6 years engaged 5mos been married for 2 years now.

Almost at 10 years in January and not married. 2 kids. But I was 14 when we started dating. If you love someone, I don’t think marriage makes it or breaks it. I want to get married, though at the same time I see it as a piece of paper and not pertinent to what makes your relationship. I also wanted to wait till I was done with my BA degree (which was two years ago). My grandparents dated for like 20 years and got married. They are still happily married almost another 20 years later.

There is no issue with getting married, and no issue with not getting married. You can fully commit to a relationship not being married, and not be committed at all while you’re married. So if you feel ready, discuss it with your partner. Make sure they are on the right path you are because some people just don’t really think about getting married until the other partner speaks up.

You need to ask him, not us. You are obviously bothered by it.

Met my husband 11/27/2015. Started dating 08/10/2016. He proposed to me 12/2016. We were going to get married 09/02/2017 but found out I was pregnant in April so we had to move the wedding up because I wouldn’t have fit in my dress then lol. So we got married 07/02/2017 :heartpulse:. And had our daughter 11/29/2017, just 2 days after our “when we met anniversary” lol

My husband and I started dating May 2011, he proposed April 2017, and we were married August 2017. We were young when we met and he waited until I graduated from college before proposing

1 Like

My first husband we got married after 6 weeks of dating. Yes huge mistake. My soon to be we dated for four months before he asked. We’ve been engaged 2 years and will be married the day after my divorce is final lol

Started dating in 2002. Got engaged in 2013 and got married in 2014. I was 16 and he was 18 when we started dating.

1 Like

Started dating summer of 94,got engaged summer of 97. Bought a house fall of 98. Married spring of 99.

Met my husband May 2009, started dating in May 2019, got engaged June 2020, got married Oct 2020. He was with his previous girlfriend (and mother to his child) for 5 years and never even asked her to marry him. Food for thought

Met in October 2011, engaged May 2012, married June 2013

We met in October, moved in together end of February (lived in different cities and the commute was hard) engaged in November and wedding was just over 1.5yrs later. When i say it out loud its a very short period of time but at the time it felt like we knew each other for years

1 Like

We were together for 6 years before getting engaged. We started dating at 19.
We have been together almost 13 years now. There’s no harm in waiting!

Met in 2005, started dating 2009 engaged in 2011 and married in 2013. Been together 11 years and married for 7.5 yrs still going strong.

I know this isn’t really what you asked, I’m sorry if this is out of line, but if you want to get engaged and he is dragging his feet about asking you, you could ask him if you want. If he can do it so can you. Just a suggestion, only if it’s right for you in your situation, I just know some women wouldn’t even think of this, but hey a woman can do anything a man can do.

5 Likes

We met in January, got pregnant in February, moved in together in March/April, got engaged in June, got married in October (courthouse wedding) had our baby November 2nd, and buried her November 14th

4 Likes

We’ve been together for 13 years and not married. Have children though

1 Like

My children’s father and I have been together since 2007 weve been engaged since 2009 and still aren’t married. I’m fine with it I don’t want to get married anyways lol

Met April 5, 2014, started dating April 9, 2014. Got engaged Dec. 21, 2017.

I dated my estranged husband just short of a year before he proposed, I thought it was ok at the time because we had know each other for a few years before dating… we got married 6 months after he proposed, I started having major regrets the month after the wedding. 6 months after we got married I found out he had been seeing another girl and bringing her to our house with all the kids there and I left him. I have not seen him and cannot find him In 2 years, cant find him to divorce him, we are officially still married so yay

1 Like

We started dating in 2016,he just proposed this past September. We’re planning for a 2022 wedding🥰

We were together 7 months when he proposed but we were together nearly 4 years before we got married.

We moved in together after 2 weeks, got engaged at 6 months, married 6 months later (a year) and here we are 5 years later as happy as can be

1 Like

9 months. Granted I got pregnant 6 months in but we’ve been together for almost 8 years and have 3 little boys.

So my story is not your typical I meet a new guy lol. My husband and I dated in high school. Obviously we broke up and life moved on he married someone and got divorced I went to college. 20 years later I get a random message from my SIL saying he wants to add me on fb (I never include my last name because I was a teacher) reluctantly I said ok. We talked for a here and there over the next few months as friends nothing exciting. Then he asked me to a hockey game on feb 3rd. We started dating. Got engaged April 1 of the same year. Got pregnant June of that year. Got married Jan 1 and had our daughter in feb (5 weeks early). What my long winded story is for is that I don’t think there is a specific time frame. If it feels right to you and your happy that’s all that matters. I’ve know people who waited 5 years to get engaged and then 2 more before they are married and their marriage is terrible. Time doesn’t have anything to do with love.

4 years of dating 1 year of engagement (April 22nd 2019) then we got married this year August 30 2020 and 2 beautiful boys together

We were together 7 years before we got engaged

We were childhood friends… Lost contact. Grew up and reconnected and started dating November 28th, 2009. He asked me to marry him, New Years Day 2010. We got married March 8th, 2010 and have been together since.

Not your typical marriage, but 10 1/2 years and still going!

We dated for 8 months. I was the one who proposed. We’ve been married for 13 1/2 years.:heart:

He never proposed. From day one we both said we are all or nothing kind of people. I let him know from the beginning I wanted kids and about a year into the relationship. I said ‘hey, I’m ready to have children what’s the problem?’
He said he wanted to have a real wedding on the beach. So we did and had a child 9 month later. Everything clicked, we were open and honest about how we felt and played zero games.

Started dating Aug of ‘02, engaged April’ 08 married in July of `08. Together for 18 years and married for 12.

Met in April of 2018. Started dating on aug 15, 2018, he proposed April of 2019 we were supposed to get married in May of 2020 but instead covid hit so we moved it back to September 12, 2020 and so far everything is pwrfect!

2.5 years ish? Itll be almost 4 when we get married

11 months. He had the ring since 6 months in, but was waiting for the right moment. In january it will be 5 years together and 3 married

Start dating 7/15/14
Engaged April 2016
Married 7/15/17

We were together 5yrs got engaged 7 when we got married 10 when we had babies… We took our time and built a solid foundation and have now been together almost 15 years :cupid:

I knew my husband 6 months when he asked. Been married over 5 years

Together about 10-11 months and he proposed after he joined the marines and we got married quickly after so I could move with him and I was 17. We’ve been married 13 years now

We were together for 5 years before he proposed. We have been engaged another 5. Still not married yet…just financial reasons. But hopefully this next year or two we will.

started dating 2011, engaged 2013, married 2015.

Started dating January 1st got engaged January 31st. Kinda fast but no regrets. We both know what we want. We both also swore we weren’t were gonna remarry or even interested in getting into relationship. :joy:

Grew up together. Dated in HS. got reconnected at 10 year high school reunion. Engaged 3 days later. Married 1 month later. Just celebrated 12 year anniversary :heavy_heart_exclamation:
He never proposed. We just knew. Found a ring on my own that I liked.

1 Like

Got engaged after 3 months together and
Been married for 6 years
together for 7

We spent one evening talking and the next day he told his parents he was going to marry me. He proposed one month later, we got married 6 months later and have been married 6 years.

Dated 3 years married for 10 so far!

1 Like

Met and started dating in high school in 2010. Engaged in 2017 and married 2019

Dated for 8 months, engaged for 6 days, been married 17 years

2 Likes

Probably about a year after we were dating he proposed but we didn’t get married till 4 years later lol

Moved in after a month,together for 6 months when he proposed. Married at 5 years together. Everyone’s timeliness is different do what works for you. :woman_shrugging:

Dated for 3 months, then he proposed. Been married for almost 14 years!

1 Like

We got engaged 2 months in to the relationship…

Started dating 2009, engaged 2014, married 2016. I was in college most of our relationship and then we had our daughter. Besides the perfect date was in 2016, so I could wait.

My husband and I dated 6 months before he asked me to marry him, 7 months later we married, and celebrated our first wedding anniversary in October! Best decision I’ve made in a long time.

1 Like

Dated for 7 months. Engaged for a year. Been together 7 years and married 6 years in may.

We were together 5 years when he proposed. Got married at 1 year later. So all together 6 years 5 months together. 5 months married. We’re 25 and 24.

1 Like

Dated for 3 years before living together ( was going to university) engaged at 7 years been together now 9 years were to be married Aug 2020 that didnt happen :cry: covid

1 Like

Me and my husband dated 6 years. I didnt bother him or talk to him about asking me. I knew he would ask me when he was ready to. We got married 2 months after he asked me.

I started dating my husband when I was 16, he was 17. He proposed when we had been together for 9 years. We’ve been together for 13 years.

2 Likes

The right time is whenever you both are ready. Remember, great things take time and this isn’t something you want to rush. Take the time to get to know one another first. Fall in love with love, and not the idea of love.

2 Likes

Started dating in 2010 engaged in 2016 married in 2017

Got together 2016 proposed 2019 still together 2020

Me and my ex weren’t together long when asked me and only ended our relationship being together 5 yrs glad mine didn’t last though for many reasons. I’m with someone now been with 11 yrs this month he has and hasn’t asked long story though had kids before marriage 2 daughters our last when she was like two he picked a ring around march I was elsewhere in mall when did I found him measured my finger. And day came to pick it up which was fools day he said I’ll be back running to mall before closed I said ok hrs later never came home I was like where u go said be back I got upset 2 ways at him and myself after found out picked up ring and that day I told him put up give me later I never saw what looked like then I found out he returned to store after balancing check book I was hurt but were still together not engaged or married but I wish .but were happy and me and guy with was off and on around hs started talking again in 2009 and been together this month 11 yrs.

I’ve hinted kids have asked him

We started dating March 2014, moved in together March 2016 . Been together 7 years come March, still no ring. Don’t know how much longer I’m going to wait

3 months shy of 2 years, I dont think there is “too long to wait for a proposal” if you love each other dearly honestly in my opinion proposing/marriage isnt necessary to show love. My fiance only proposed because he sees it otherwise, he views proposing/marriage as the best way to show how much he loves me. I just dont see it necessary to be engaged or married if you love each other you love each other regardless of your marital status. Yes being engaged/married may make it more legitimate but it doesn’t prove your love persay. I know people who spent 15+ years together never married and are happy still. My fiance and i have been engaged for 2 years on december 24th. We havent even talked about a date or ideas for it bwyond we want it in the fall and outside. He said the rest as far as colors and everything is completely my choice as its “my day” but its going to be OUR day and im going to choose colors decor and all that based off whatbhe would like as well.