How long were you dating before you got engaged?

My husband never proposed to me. We were together for 5 years and just decided one day to go get married at the courthouse. Lol

Proposed 4 years into dating, engaged for 5 years, we’ll be married just before our 10 year anniversary. We’re not in any rush obviously :rofl:

I have a 5 yr rule lol saved me on a few mistakes lol

We were friends for 3 and a half years. Then engaged, broke it off, worked on our relationship, got engaged again over a year and a half. Got married on the 5 year anniversary of the day we met. Now married 6 years. Every relationship is different. If you have a certain timeline you want to follow any certain goals, be open and honest about it with each other. Then start your next step.

He moved in within a week of hanging out (was my brothers friend) got pregnant around our first year, bought a house together around year 3 and we are going on year number 7 in March. I have student loans and a sahm, so getting married and combining our debt to income is silly at the moment. We know one day will.we get married but not having super high interest rates and being able to do an edition to our home is what we want. Everyone is different.

He first asked one month in…

After 2 months :heart: been together about 2 and a half years, married for 1.5 and a baby later and I couldn’t be happier :heart:

Meet 2 weeks later proposed then married 2 months later. Been together almost 10 years.

2 Likes

Almost 7 years. I don’t think there’s a time that is too long to wait because if you love each other and life is good, that’s what matters. But if it’s really important to you then you need to have a serious talk with him

My man and I where only together 3 months before I found out about our son and now we are going onto year 3 together and still not married
But we are together and we are ok with that

Nearly 6 years
But both of us made it clear that marriage wasnt something we wanted than BAM inwas walking down the aisle LMAO
Now we have been together nearly 10 yrs

We were dating a month when he proposed married a year later, We were together forty seven years before he died August second 2019

1 Like

Got engaged after 1.5 years of dating, had a 2 yr engagement, probably would have gotten married sooner but found out I was pregnant with our oldest 6 months into our engagement so decided to wait until after he was born to have the wedding, have been married for almost 12 years.

Met in 2009
Started dating in 2011
Got engaged in July 2012
Had a baby 2015
Got married 2016
Another baby 2018.
Going on 10 years strong

Met in 2009, started casually dating. Got engaged and married in 2012. Still happily together now x

2 Likes

We are coming up on 5 years, two kids a farm and a home later, still no proposal :woman_shrugging:t2: why even bother at this point :joy::joy::joy:

Started dating in 2004, engaged 2007, baby in 2007 and here we are 2020 nearly 16 years later and still engaged :joy:

4 years, together 5 years before we got married

Met my Mr. Moved 5hrs to a new city just weeks after meeting him, moving in with him.
Been with him 12.5yrs now. Not married. He gave me the ring about 6-7yrs ago. I gave it back tho lol
Marriage just isn’t that big of a deal for me. It’s the every day stuff.
The small stuff.
The big picture was never my focus. I get lost in the details, the small parts.
So it’s picking what YOUR expectations and limits are, then honoring them.
What works for me, may not for you. That’s ok to!
So I wouldn’t say there is a set time frame for this kinda thing. It’s just knowing what your limits are and honoring that 🤷.

1 Like

We dated for 10 months. Married at 13 months. Four years later we’re still together

I dated my husband for 12yrs b4 getting engaged and married.

Almost 2 an a half years. Nobody is OBLIGATED to propose. There is no time limit and if you think otherwise its sad… If they prove they love you anx plan on being with you, why do you need a frikin ring? Just why?

Started dating in October, asked me to marry him on December, got married May 11th. Been together 12 years and married for 11 if those years now

Its been 8 years but we have decided no marriage. But i would love a nice ring.

Met 1987, started dating 88, got engaged 88/89, still together now.

Dated 7 months, been engaged for a year. By the time we get married it will have been two years and 1 month. Getting married sept 25th of next year

I told him not to until after 5years, because if we’re going to be together forever, what’s 5 years. He asked after 6, married around 7, still madly in love after 10.

We meet march, dated july, engaged aug, married Nov

Started hanging out in 2000, engaged 2001, married 2002.

2 months
Married 32 years

Talked about it a month in 6 months in he proposed, just before a year we had our son. got married 14 months after we started dating. mind you I have known him for 25 years and we grew up together

Met my husband in March 1982 got married in June 1982 .Been married 38 years.:blush:

He proposed to me on our 3 year anniversary last month🥰

Started dating in 2007, engaged in 2010, married in 2011 :heart:

My husband and I skipped the engagement part. We were talking one day, I told him “I love you so much. I’d marry you tomorrow under a bridge, wearing a trash bag”. His response “get the marriage license”. We were married 2 days later, only because Maryland makes you wait 2 days to use your marriage license after you apply. We had only been dating for 2 months when we got married and had only known one another for 4 months. Never been happier!

My husband and I have known each other nearly our entire lives. We dated for 1 year before he proposed. Engaged for 1 year. It would depend on your relationship as to how long is too long for you. My cousin and his girlfriend have been together for 16 years. They have 3 beautiful kids together, and she wears a ring; they just never officially got married, and both of them are genuinely happy with their decision to not get married.

2 Likes

Met my hubby in first grade. He told his mother at six he was going to marry me. We dated in high school where I had 2 other boyfriends but I married him at Sadie Hawkins Day dance as sophomores. I went to nursing school and he went to the Navy. 3 years later we connected and wrote letters while I was working on my degree. Sometime in those letters there was a proposal. He thought I did it, I waited 4 days for a special delivery letter asking the question. Bottom line, we met at Christmas, got a ring, and were married in June 4 years after high-school. I said I had to grow up to recognize the jewel I had. Found out from my mom that my dad did not believe I loved him as he walked me down the aisle, but he knew I couldn’t live with him without falling in love. We were married for 27 years before cancer came along. It’s been 24 years and I still miss him.

13 Likes

My husband and I met through a mutual friend. We dated for just shy of 9 years before he proposed, but we also bought a house together at the 5 year mark. We paid off our vehicles, slowly furnished our home and made sure our finances were in order. We were engaged for about a year and a half. Together 16 years, married for 6 years two kids and happy.

3 Likes

My guy and i have been together 8yrs and still have not considered marriage. I honestly never cared about it. We have an amazing little family and a great relationship but i could care less if we ever actually get married.

1 Like

Dated for about 8 years. We were engaged for less than a year of that and broke it off. He just didn’t want commitment and wanted to party. I should have realized many years ago he’d never really want to get married.

We got engaged a month after our first date and then married 2months after being engaged. This was a 2nd marriage for us both but we had an instant connection when we first met. We will be together 6 years this Dec.

3 Likes

My boyfriend and I have been together for 13 years. Neither one of us wants to get married. He’s been married and divorced twice, I was married and divorced once. We are happy with the way things are.

1 Like

If it’s so important than why dont you ask him? I asked my fiance to marry me over a year ago! It was so amazing! We’ve been together for almost 4 years and are planning our 2022 wedding. We’re also pregnant with baby number 2, baby number 1 will be 3 next month. My mom asked my dad to marry her because she got tired of waiting! If you want it go get it! Stop waiting around!

1 Like

Knew my husband 2 months got engaged and married 2 months later. I was 19 when married. We had 2 children and were married for 45 years until his passing.

3 Likes

We went to high school together but didn’t hook up until we were in our 20s. We had one boy after 2 years of dating. I proposed to him in our 12th year together. We now have a second boy and we haven’t been married yet. We were supposed to be married this past summer, but I got pregnant and covid hit. So rescheduling, hopefully to next year. That’ll make it 15 years together.

My husband proposed 2 months after we started dating. We were engaged a year and a half. I was 19 when we got married and now it’s been 15 years with three kids. We’ve had our ups and downs but we’re still going strong.

6 years he waited to officially propose. Though he made his intention on getting married very clear within months.
Just as I made my intention on wanting to wait and get to know eachother and get through other life goals.
Our priorities where different but we cared for eachother.
I never even considered marriage before I meet my partner. In all honesty I didn’t want to ever get married but that mostly has to do with what I was told marriage meant for a women and the marriages I saw in my family. I just didn’t want that. These reasons are what I was looking to not be present in my relationship. Though I did want a life long partner it’s just marriage wasn’t part of the plan. After years of getting to know eachother and basically living together (we spent much time together) the thought of it was still scary. Knowing his intention (he would bring it up every now and then) i started a pro and con list and keept everything on there realistic based on our relationship and in a different color added what I was scared of. After looking further into what I was scared of and looking into our relationship I realized none of those things existed. So when he asked I was ready to say yes, even through the unrational fear was still present and may not go away luckily I listen to my logical head over the emotional part.

We knew at 3 months we were getting married. I was given a promise ring when we both went away to school. Engagement ring after we got out and wedding a year later. We’ve been married for 5 years. Together for 9. Our little girl is a year and a half old.

My sister and her man have been together for 8. No ring yet. Id say if you’re happy, you’re happy. If you want more, express that. My other sister got tired of waiting so she proposed to her husband. They’ve been married for 3 years now. There are no rules anymore. Just be happy. :relaxed:

We dated for over 2 years before we got engaged. However we started living together almost immediately. There’s no right or wrong. Every relationship is different. Sometimes you just take that leap because it feels right but other times it’s a process. If you really want to be with this man it’ll be worth the wait.

Met my husband on a Friday ,then Saturday he told me I was going to be his wife and all I could say was ok ok ok, married 1 month later and God blessed me 3 yrs with a wonderful man till his passing

He told me he was going to marry me on our 1st date and we were wed 6 weeks later. We’ve been married 7 1/2 years now and it’s been wonderful. I truly believe he’s my soul mate. We think if you know, you know. It shouldn’t take years to figure out.

There is no time frame. All relationships are different. Either you’re happy with the person or you’re just waiting for a ring. If you are waiting for that ring bring it up! Talk about it! Make sure you and the person are even on the same page!

Met mine at 20. Dated 4 months, got engaged. Married 5 months later. Almost 24 years of marriage and going strong (p.s. we were on a blind date when we met)

1 Like

He told me he loved me on our second date. I said thank you. :expressionless: got engaged 6-8 months later :woman_shrugging: I was 17, he was 18. We got married when we were both 19. We have been married over 18 years now and going strong.

Every relationship is different, with my ex we dated for 7 years before getting engaged and another year before married and only was married 2 years before I left due to abuse. With my husband now, we dated 3 months- I moved in with him, 6 months we were engaged, a year we were married. We are now going on 5 years together and have 3 beautiful kids and are super happy and still sickly in love :heart_eyes:.
My parents dated less than a month before getting engaged and a month later they were married- going on almost 40 years for them :woman_shrugging:. My friends mom dated for 15 years before getting official married.

Engaged 4 months, married 5 months, still married 15 years later and going strong with 1 child together.

2 Likes

We dated for 6 years before he proposed. At 5 years, I pretty much gave him an ultimatum…either we get engaged, or let’s both move on. We’ve been married now for 13 years.

We did everything random… moved into our first apt after 2yrs, engaged 2yrs later, had a kid, bought our house, got married at the 7yr mark. Add another kid in the mix and a few dogs. We have gotten plenty of judgement for not doing everything in “the right order,” but our endpoint is still the same… married with 2 kids, 3 dogs, a house. Just celebrated the 10yr mark this summer. You do you.

My husband and I got engaged after about 8 months of dating. But we had known each other for over 10 years by that point even though we hadn’t dated very long.

He wanted to be engaged after 12 months I made him wait due to my age.
If we were going to be together forever what does it matter if I say yes at 22 or at 25???

I think it depends on each relationship some people get engaged within months some years

I don’t think there is a right or wrong just depends on the relationship I’ve been with my guy 5 years we’ve lived together about 9 or 10 years and have a 14 month old together and we aren’t engaged or married yet lol

We were dating for about a year and 9 months before he asked, then we were engaged for about a year and 3 months before getting married. We knew each other for about a year prior to dating. Married for 10 years, together for 13 years.

2 years together when he proposed, 3 when we got married.
Have a conversation about it if it’s on your mind. Don’t just wait and resent him without communicating your expectations.

Together 4 years before getting engaged, married for 7 now and together almost 13 years

1 Like

7 years. There is no right time, its between you and your partner. My husband wasn’t ready and then he was. :blush::blush:

We got engaged 4months after we meet, married 8 months later and going to celebrate 15yr wedding anniversary and 16yrs together. I think waiting any longer then a year is crazy. When you know, you know. When its right, its right. You could wait 3 yrs and still end up divorced.
We started with nothing and build our way up. We have a 14 yr sold son, own our own home outright and own all our vehicles. People said we where ro young at 19 and 20 to know what we want. At 35 and 36 we doin great. We have are ups and dont but anyone who tells you they dont, they lie. Its about a healthy love and not a perfect love. I like we choose sooner then later to get married :heart:

I’m at almost 9 years dating. He has said we can get married if I want but no actual proposal or anything. It really depends on the relationship. If you NEED that part of it.

Everybody is different. My husband and I have known each other for 21 years . Been together 5 married for 4

Boyfriend and girlfriend at 13 and 16, engaged at 18 and 21, married at 20 and 23, married 32 years before he left me a widow.
Proposal time could vary depending on things like age, kids involved, previous marriages not ending well. Idk my dad and mom got engaged after 4 months, married 3 months later and are at 57 years now.

We knew each other for 8 years, and dated for 2 before proposal. Stayed engaged for another 2 years before marriage.

The part about “how long is too long to wait” well… never.
If you’d consider leaving because he wont propose then it’s not right anyway.
You need to talk to him or even propose yourself if you want to get married.
But think to yourself… if he doesn’t want to get married would you stay?

Dated for 4 years, bought a house, he bought me a pre-engagement ring( I was so pissed). He had my wedding ring in layaway. Been married 38 years

We were together for 9 years and had 3 kids before we got married. Just had baby #5 and this summer will be 14 years together total.

Dave proposed at about 1 month, got married after 6 months, and celebrated 51 years of marriage in September! Two kids and 4 grandkids.

1 Like

He proposed a year dating, & we got married a year after that. Been married for 16 years. I think 5 years is enough time to propose.

Met online and talked on the phone for a month. Got married the first day we met in person. Been married 19 years now.

2 Likes

Coworkers for a year and 3 months started dating and then 5 months later he proposed. Waited year and a half then got married. Together for 25 married for 23.

Dated 4 years and got engaged. Engaged for a year and got married. Married 27 years. Each couple is different. There is no exact timeliness. It depends on many things .age, maturity, school/job/finances etc.

Got engaged after 8 mnts of dating were engaged for 6 yrs then got married we have been married for 13 years will be together 20years this coming march.

We didn’t date, I met him one time, spoke with him about a month and we got married about 6 weeks after we met.

My husband and I met through mutual friends. We dated 3 months before we were married. We’ve been married 8 years.

We have been together for almost 7 years engaged for almost a year and not married yet

Dated for 5 months he proposed…I got pregnant… 5 years and 2 kids later we were married we’ve been together for 5 years and literally just got married before the pandemic hit February 14th 2020 got pregnant AGAIN lol after we got married :joy: currently carrying baby number 3 :woman_facepalming:t5: I knew from the moment I saw him that I was going to marry him. It was literally love at first sight for the both of us. When you know you just know​:blue_heart:

Dated 3-4 months before getting engaged… then once we were engaged we waited 2 years to get married… we just hit our 3 year wedding anniversary on the 19th! <3

He got me a promise ring after 3 months of dating, proposed 3 mts later and were married 4 mts after that. We will be married 9 years in February!

He proposed after about 2 years of dating and got married after another 2 years. We knew pretty early on that we both found who we wanted to be with so no need to rush it🙂

We were young, dated 7 years, engaged once he had graduated and had a job, our engagement was short- 6 months… Married now 7 years :slight_smile:

You should date/live together/ know and like each other for at least four years before getting married.

Got together December 2017 got engaged October 2018 got married a year later October 2019 have been married a year so far with 2 kids. It depends on the relationship some people can wait a long time some dont some have successful marriages some dont it’s when ever the time is right for yall.

5 years dating before we got engaged and now have been together for 19 years married

We were dating for about 7 years and then we got married.

Met in September. Didn’t like each other at all. Starting dating the May after. Pregnant in November. Married one year after we met. That was over 25 years ago.

1 Like

1 year 3 months. Got engaged at the start of my senior year of high school and still married after 3.5 years :two_hearts:

We dated for a year then we got engaged for 6months or so then got married and been married 3.5years now

Met online. Talked for a month before we met. Engaged about 9 months later and married 3 months later. In our 5th year of marriage and pregnant with baby #3. I think age & maturity levels say a lot about how long people wait. We are older. I was 30 when we got married.

My husband and I met in October started dating in January. Got engaged in June and married in October. Just celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary. :two_hearts:

Ive been with my partner 7 years and we have been engaged 7 years and have a little girl together and she is 6

Met in 2010
Got together 2012
Engaged 2013
Married 2014
Still happy with each other

Officially dating for 3 months and 18 days before a proposal. Had known each other for 8 months and some days.

Together 6 years. Not going to happen at this point. At the end of things.