How many parents are considering home schooling due to COVID?

Curious as to how many moms are choosing remote learning for their kids this year. A lot of schools are giving parents the option. While I know that the teachers are better trained for it and could possibly give her a better education, I feel like I would feel better keeping my daughter home. I’m torn. Thoughts?

292 Likes

My son is a senior he will go 2-3 days a week the rest will be online

1 Like

We are seriously discussing homeschooling our 8 year old. We did the last 2 and a half months of last year at home anyways

I just bought desks and chrome books. If I wouldn’t sit in a room with 15 other people can make them do it.

1 Like

I’m letting my daughter do the 50/50. Some in school and virtual. Dont really feel safe sending her but I know she’s dying to go back and be around other children. She’ll be in the 4th grade

1 Like

If we had 1 on 1 tutoring and were supplied with chromebook, we would. But we’re not, so the kids are going to school. We just don’t have the resources.

2 Likes

I’ve no option but to send mine or I’ll be fined ive 5 kids. I’m dreading it as a single parent. Worried if I get ill

Me. But I’ve been thinking about it the last 2 years. The school system has been failing my 7 year old to where he gets beat up and talks about how stupid he is. This was just the straw that made me pull the trigger with having another baby this august it wasnt worth the risk

1 Like

I have enrolled my son in a virtual academy.

Virtual learning with the public school system is not home schooling.

We decided to break from the public school system last year before covid ever hit. The rest just cemented our decision to do so

I’m doing the hybrid learning 2 days at school 3 at home minimizes exposure and gives them in person time with there teacher

We are homeschooling but for more reasons than beerflu

They have not informed us on what is going to happen with schools in MD yet. But we have been considering homeschooling due to covid and our boe pushing the BLM on our students

Our school has a really robust on line learning, so my son will be doing virtual school. He’ll be doing online zoom classes with his teachers from 8:45 - 2:30, mirroring a normal class schedule/school day. We’re really lucky to have something so robust, I’m not sure what I would do otherwise. We have the option to do virtual or in person in our district.

Gladly sending my kiddos to school full time. I have a senior and 1st grader!

6 Likes

Our school district is going back full force. I am enrolling my daughter in cyber school

I don’t think there is enough info yet in WY about virtual learning to make an actually informed decision. Like what does the time frame per day look like for virtual learning. How does 6 hours of physical school look online. This is new material the kids will be learning, not just recaps like last year. Will they have enough resources for tutoring and such if needed. What about those kids that cannot be home schooled due to working parents, unavailability of a computer or printer, etc. There’s a lot of unknown and I feel SO BAD that my children are having to go through this and their quality of education may suffer.

2 Likes

I have 4 kids , 2 in high school, one starting middle school and one starting Kindergarten. The older three did really well with online learning and the little one will be more work but I’m fine with it. Mine will be virtual
Learners… I don’t want them wearing masks all day. The little one doesn’t need to wear one all day but I feel two days a week is ridiculous for a 5 yr old. I teach preschool and it’s hard to get a kid into a routine with only 2 days of school. I would love to see 4 or 5 half days. So we will be a virtual family this year. We will get our routine figured out and learn from home.

3 Likes

Nope. My kids need school

1 Like

I definitely will be.

my grand kids that live on long island are going to be home schooled their Mo said even if the school opens they`re not going back

We have 7 and they are doing their first year in a virtual academy.

1 Like

I’m gonna ask my 3rd grader what he wants to do

4 Likes

They are giving us the option to do remote first semester & then they can rejoin in person school if things change. I’m not signing a covid waiver so my child can go to in person school.

1 Like

some states haven’t even decided if they will be school , so let’s see

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman:t2: were more than likely going to do home school

1 Like

My kids are staying home with me, but I know not everyone has that option. I say if you can keep them home, it’s better.

I’m doing the virtual learning… Im not risking my family getting sick or making my 8 year old with asthma wear a mask all the time

Currently writing a homeschool curriculum for my oldest (9). Luckily they only recommend 2-3 hours of schooling per day

I’m not qualified to be a teacher.

6 Likes

My daughter is staying home. Her school lets you chose each quarter if you would like to change your mind.

We’ve decided to do the first nine weeks at home. I’m wanting to see what happens when a student or teacher gets covid what our school is gonna do. Will they be shutting down every time this happens

2 Likes

I’m doing both the best of my ability. I cant trust my 13 year old daughter to be online with all the predators out there and her poor decisions lately so I will let her go the 2 days hybrid and only let her do offine work or something i can print off and instruct. I cant believe no one else has this problem with their children, i feel like I’m losing my mind as my daughter won’t listen to me about internet safety.

6 Likes

Me now i guess. Our district put together a plan of hybrid school (50% occupancy 3 days a week) or online. I was comfortable with hybrid for my high schooler. Now the gov is forcing schools to open 5 days a week. I’m not cool with sending any of my children to school and just hoping for the best

My son wants to. So, we are going to try it.

Definitely considering it!

No, I want my child in school, it will be different fur sure but he needs to social development and interaction. That is just as important as the academic part. My sun school sent out a survey with questions about our thoughts. Mine is that older kids are more able to do remote learning, and legally allowed home alone while parents work, many have no choice but working full time outside the home to earn a living. The government is not going to help them, the extra unemployment $ ends 7/25 so they already will be in financial catastrophe by the time school starts and the daycares go with what schools are doing, childcare is expensive and not available in many areas… Safety is important and precautions need to be taken but we can’t just hide and teach our children to live in fear. Many may disagree but that’s my opinion.

5 Likes

My kids are going back.

3 Likes

I already signed up for full-time remote learning for my disabled child because her school was offering but now I think they’re taking that option away :sob:🤷:sob:

Your post includes 2 different things. Homeschooling is where you as the parent pick and develop the curriculum and teach it. Distance/virtual learning the child is still in public school, the teacher sends out the assignments/grades them.

We will be doing distance learning.

6 Likes

I have a 2nd grader. We are gonna do virtual learning. Because I. Not risking my kids getting sick. Bc I have a 2 year old as well and I’m not ok with making my 7 year old wear a mask everyday all day.

2 Likes

We were already homeschooling before the pandemic and will continue to do so

Homeschooling- actual homeschool not virtual. My tot is hyper, I want to be able to find the best way of teaching that works for him. Because myself and brother were both homeschooled, we did good and now hes got his pick of what he wants to be in the military. His scores were some of the best they have seen. :slight_smile: I’m so proud of him. So I will follow my mom, and homeschool my littles. We used homelife academy, umbrella school

1 Like

My son will je back as soon as they open… he refuses to do homeschool… i would have a 6th grade dropout

4 Likes

My daughter is starting 2nd grade this year, we are sending her back.

3 Likes

Nope! My daughter will be going into fourth grade. And my middle starting preschool. They are going!!

3 Likes

Following this… Bc I’m definitely torn too!

1 Like

#stayinhome
Look into it…our educators are getting mandatory grief counseling for when someone dies & being asked to make sure their wills are up to date.
That does not sound safe to me.

1 Like

Im worried about the racial violence more than I am the virus. I feel thats the biggest threat right now. We have forgotten how to love one another. :frowning:

4 Likes

The education your child will get at school with be mostly hygeine during this pandemic. I can guarantee you that.

2 Likes

I can imagine sending children back to school with this, we lost a bus driver way back when this started, it’s 3 times as bad now.

1 Like

My face when parents talk about sending their kids back to school during a deadly pandemic :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes

Undecided yet… I have homeschooled my oldest 4 from k-highschool… they are all in college now. But my younger 5 I have done a mix my 9 year old thrives in school my 7 year old does better at home so I am really at odds

Our school system is offering both. We are opting in sending him back to school bc it’s what he wants and I personally am not a stay at home parent that can supervise my child’s education during the recommended time with a full time job. My child education deserves more than what I am currently able to offer, quarantine taught us that. We are working on wearing a mask the correct way , he will wear one but he always pulls it off his nose. This is our current battle at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m curious to the ones that ARE SENDING their kids to school. Is it because you have no other option(working parent), or is because you don’t believe in this whole covid thing or just because your tired of being home with your kids.
I’m just wondering lol…
For myself and family they will be kept home.

2 Likes

We’re doing online for the full year. I have a junior in high school, 8th grader and a 1st grader. I feel they are better off at home where they can be comfortable instead of being on campus with all the safety guidelines being implemented. Plus, my kids being home means less kids on campus for those who HAVE to go back.

2 Likes

Our kids don’t get the option. My school district is starting out 100% online and I’m happy.

2 Likes

I’m keeping my son home…he will be doing cyber school.

We are 100% virtual. My biggest reason is I know a lot many families that have to work need the space for their children because they don’t have any child care options. If my kids staying home leaves space for families that need it than it is what it is. But I’m not afraid.

2 Likes

Okay im gonna sound kind dumb right now but kinda stuck on what is the difference between distance learning and online the sound the same to me i know what online is but idk uuggh lol

Is your virtual 5 hours virtual classroom time each day?

Mine is going to 8th grade we agreed to keep him home first 2 months and reassess from there.

I’m torn as well. I want my kid/stepkid to be able to have the social interaction and to see their friends, but I worry about their safety. Also my stepson was extremely hard to homeschool when we were doing distance learning, my daughter was easy, so that makes it even harder to decide.

:raising_hand_woman:
I’m keeping mine home.

See if your district has an online school option.
Our districts in Oklahoma (bigger cities) have a public virtual school

Everyone that is refusing to send their children back to school, you must all be stay at home parents. If not, you’re sending your children to daycare while you work. What is the difference between a daycare and a school? Most daycares don’t have the ventilation system the governor wants for even restaurants. They also don’t socially distance at daycare, the providers wear masks, the kids do not. So other than an actual education what are some of these mom’s thoughts on daycare be schooling?

4 Likes

We have the option for in person(7:50-1:05/5 days a week) or remote. I think it’s best for my kids to do in person especially for my son going into 1st. And we can choose to pull them out on in person learning and do remote.

2 Likes

I’m sending my 3 to school. I know I can’t give each one the attention they need to learn. I also don’t have 3 computers for them to use for digital learning. We have asked them several times if they wanted to go or stay home and they all said school. We told them if they choose school they will need to wear masks. Not going to lie though, I am extremely nervous.

1 Like

I’m hoping to keep my son at home

We have the option to do completely online this year for my daughter so that’s what i am going to do. Besides just the exposure, the whole child distancing stuff they’ll be doing in schools is very strange for a child to go through in my opinion

I’m doing virtual learning

My stepson improved when the schools shut down. He really really flourished with individual attention and got an attitude change since he can’t be the class clown at home. His dad signed him up for virtual again this year because everyone believes its going to do more harm to him than good to sit there for six hours in a classroom with no gym or recess to take the pressure off mentally. At least at home we can get him outside if he’s getting too overwhelmed

I’m not. My daughter even attended in school summer school.
My daughter needs it, and I work.

1 Like

Better to be safe - teach them from home

Since our county closed schools for the fall we have 2 options. Distance learning until school opens or 100% full year distance learning. I am doing the 100% full year because even if schools open in 2 months it doesn’t mean the virus is gone and we have family who are immunocomprimised and I cannot risk sending my daughter to school which raises her risk of getting it being in a enclosed space for hours with 19 other students and a teacher then coming home spreading it that way. Not everyone has symptoms and all it takes is 1 child to sneeze who is asymptomatic to spread those germs to anyone in the same classroom. Not only that but the schools are discussing having a isolation room for any child showing any type of covid-19 symptom. I can’t imagine the anxiety it will put on a child.

My babies are in K and 8th. We will be homeschooling thru k12!!

I am full time working (single) mom. I work for the public school board. I am sending my son back to traditional learning, due to not being able to stay home. He attends a private school and I feel comfortable with their return plan.

3 Likes

I will either do independent study through the high school or homeschool through a charter

As much as I thought virtual learning would work, our 4yo hates it. She can barely sit still for her 20 minute speech session. She absolutely hates practicing at home and gets completely frustrated and gives up very easily no matter what approach we’ve tried. I personally feel like my kids do better in a classroom setting with other children. And them keeping a mask on for all hours of the day I really don’t see happening. Kids will bring home whatever germs are out there regardless so if school does open, I will be sending them. I’m sure I’ll get hate for it but it’s my choice as a parent

2 Likes

Im homeschooling my daughter and my niece and nephew

I am. My son has the option to do remote learning through his school and we chose that option for schoolimg for now

There is no need to shame if the parent will want children to go to school. Isn’t that up to them not you.

5 Likes

When COVID was in south Australia I kept my daughter home. We had just moved towns, An I had a baby so felt safer with us all home.

It was a option for us when there was the first outbreak. They sent work packs home so they could continue there work at home. Only essential workers children went to school but again that was the parents option to send them. But very little amount of kids actually went.

So far it has been no outbreak so if there was another then I would pull her out as she starts Monday

I am homeschooling because of covid.

I don’t see how schools different than daycare that have been open the whole time. When you have to work there’s really no other option it’s daycare or school. So stressful

My daughter will be doing 100% remote learning. Our district gave us the option of 4 days in person with 1 day remote or 100% remote. With my daughters asthma I don’t feel it is safe to send her. Our district said they have no plans to social distance as they don’t believe it is possible and its not worth the risk to me

I have 5kids all In school,I’ll be sending mine again,they haven’t had a day off school since the covid started,Ive been slammed and judged by many ppl especially mother’s,and yes I love my kids and yes I wanna protect them but I also have to work to provide for them also

5 Likes

My girls are staying home. Dad and step-mom have offered to take on the majority of the schooling.

I wish I could. But I have a roof to keep over his head.

3 Likes

Me, i will be homeschooling my 3 children.

Another single mom with a job here and I have to pay my bills somehow. I can’t stay home with her and I can’t bring her to work with me and my sitter has other things to take care of once school starts back up.

1 Like

Mine will be going back to school. They did not do well with the elearning

2 Likes

We are doing online only for the year unless a vaccine is available. My kids are too high risk to get this with them being so little and my son has Asthma. It’s not worth the risk. Mine didn’t do well with online but as their mother they don’t have a choice. Their life is more important to me. They can always catch up later. I’ve scheduled my work around their school schedule.

1 Like

I work overtime, my husband works overtime, opposite schedules with 2 more children, its impossible for us to do the virtual

1 Like

I’m doing remote and having a tutor once a week for an hour so anything I can’t explain she can.

1 Like

If my child did not have a Iep I would for certain keep her home.Im hoping most people will maybe my child will be safer. I’m am 72 with adopted grandchildren and medical conditions. Hope a vaccine comes soon I live in Fl. and right now it’s crazy the school said they cant invoice mask.Why not they ticket you if your child is not safe in a seatbelts.

Excuse the thumbs hitting badly at the keyboard

Ours are going to school! They need the socialization, the discipline and their education. To each their own though😁 Some will keep them home and some will send them to school.

1 Like

We are distant learning in the fall and re-evaluating in December