How many parents are considering home schooling due to COVID?

No way my kids are going back to sleep. They start August 13 here in texas at our school.

My husband and I both work, I in the school system. All three of my kids will be attending classes come August. The constant sitting and staring and only seeing each other is wearing on everyoneā€™s mental health.

2 Likes

Following because Iā€™m in the same boat hereā€¦ So torn! My kids want to go back but Iā€™m so unsure. Worried about both options. I have explained to them that school is going to be MUCH different this year and I keep making sure they understand thatā€¦ My husband and I have been talking about alotā€¦

Iā€™m not sending them to school. We will probably have a math tutor for my older daughter once a week and then me and my husband will work out our schedules to take turns being at home helping them with school work

I already enrolled mines in K12 :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

We donā€™t have a choice where I live
All schools will be done through distance learning
My kids are going to be dumb af

2 Likes

My kids have already been to school due to our work commitments and come September they have to go back or we get fined!!! Xx

1 Like

The way lice spreads in a schoolā€¦ no thanks. If you child gets covid, how do you self isolate a child? Especially those without medical aidā€¦ the risk is just too high of infection. With all this flippen sanitizer everywhere. We all gonna get ill from just every day germs. At this rate I wonder if we even building antibodies to anything anymoreā€¦

2 Likes

Well itā€™s either my sons in school, or heā€™s not and I get charged with truancy. I canā€™t do it. Iā€™m not a teacher.

1 Like

I canā€™t teach 3 grades, work full time, and other big things at home as well. My kids are going back to school, Iā€™m nervous about it, but I canā€™t teach them myself at home the way they need to be.

Iā€™m in the same boat as you! I feel they would be safer at home, but I feel like they may fall behind with virtual learning. Also, Iā€™m not comfortable with my son wearing a mask ALL DAY at school or the fact that he will be in a classroom most of the dayā€¦ he has ADHD and needs to release his energy. So many pros and cons with both. Iā€™m leaning toward virtual, but Iā€™m still undecided

21 Likes

I WISH I could homeschool, but my son has special needs and my husband and I both work fulltime. I supported a hybrid schedule.

6 Likes

Iā€™m homeschooling and NOT because Iā€™m afraid of any virus. The guidelines that the CDC put on schools. Thereā€™s no school to go back to IMO.

50 Likes

Mine are going back to school. Theyā€™ve been in daycare throughout the entire thing and havenā€™t gotten sick. The school age children have probably 40 kids in one building (all the same room) they have had no cases. Also, none of them wear masks.

26 Likes

Iā€™m a teacher, and if I can make arrangements, my kindergartener wonā€™t be doing face to face instruction. Thereā€™s no way schools can effectively contain this. We had our first Covid child death in SC this week. I have a one month oldā€¦not worth the risk

49 Likes

I personally feel like the ones who want to keep their kids at home , should be able to . And parents like myself who would love for them to go back because they thrive better in a learning environment should send them back to schoolā€¦
My oldest has adhd and needs that learning environment, he needs that teacher and student environment. He knows Iā€™m his mom not a teacher .

14 Likes

I was totally was on board with sending the kiddo to school but this last week has changed my thinking completelyā€¦the school district here is answering no concerns and I really think is just not prepared. Iā€™m leaning towards homeschooling and then having a VERY tight circle (2 other kids that are also home schooled) for socializing/play dates

3 Likes

You can give your children just as good, if not better, education than a school. A teacher has 30 students and has to follow a lot of rules and guild lines that you as a parent donā€™t have. Choose a good curriculum that works for your family and child and go for it! Iā€™m not sure why parents always think that homeschooling is not as good of an education as public school.

11 Likes

The only reason I am keepin my kids home is because I donā€™t trust anything out there because of the false reporting.
So my children will stay where I know for a fact they are safe. And I believe that wearing a mask will only create issues. I donā€™t want to wear one. Why would I make my child. Plus I stay at home anyways. Parents thatā€™s actually work and need kids to go to school, they donā€™t need one more to try and keep separated and clean.

7 Likes

Iā€™m homeschooling mines. I Love them too much to take that chance on sending them back. Not worth it.

3 Likes

Online home schools have teachers. The classes are just like public schools just online. There are many different types of homeschools but if you choose to do online homeschool it has teachers and classrooms and help sessions.

3 Likes

Yes we are considering it. Not becasue Of fear of being sick. We would consider it to be able to establish a reliable routine for a family. I donā€™t want to live my life in wonder of how School may change for my sons.

13 Likes

I work in healthcare, major front line worker here. We do the actual covid testing in my laboratory. As a medical worker and a parent to 3 youngsters, Iā€™m terrified. They will do remote learning until my state has calmed down. We all know how bad weā€™re off here in AZ right now. Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry

25 Likes

There are 3 options where I live. In person, virtual, or homeschool. Each has its pros and cons and itā€™s a very hard choice. I donā€™t think they will be in person very long and will end up virtual anyway. Virtual is thru the public school system and homeschool is finding your own learning materials

10 Likes

Iā€™m putting mine I. Regular school. It is kindergarten and two blocks from my house. Small town. Everyone wears masks. She is already in prek wearing a mask all day and she doesnā€™t kind it. I figure I will do that until it needs to change. If the numbers were higher in the area I would probably homeschool but at the momentā€¦ playing by ear

1 Like

Iā€™ve been considering homeschooling. I donā€™t know what my sons schools plan is. They havenā€™t said anything yet. Depending on what that is will make my decision. My son wonā€™t keep a mask on all day. Iā€™m also not meant to be a teacher. I donā€™t have the patience for it.

1 Like

I am sending my kids back to school. We do not have a reason to keep ours home. I feel everyone has to do what they feel is right for their own families. We are lucky we have a second and kindergartner. So our kids are very flexible. Good luck.

10 Likes

back to school. i have one already back and other 2 start Sept I couldnā€™t do home schooling for 3 dif year groups with one being her GCSE.

5 Likes

I hated Google School. 2 kids on 2 laptops at the same time. Only one could do zoom. Only one teacher actually used it to teach anyway. The other teacher just assigned work.
Our district is doing distance learning only in the fall so Iā€™m going to homeschool. If we are going to be here anyway, I want to be able control content, delivery and timing. I also get to add Christian Education this way.

4 Likes

We are doing K12 public homeschool this year. I donā€™t want my 4th grader in a mask all day. I want something consist for them all year. If one of the teachers or students does test positive for covid during the school year they will probably shut the school down. I donā€™t want to deal with all that. I am just going to keep them home this year. Hopefully I can put them back in next year.

4 Likes

Mine had optionsā€¦we chose to do online. Better safe than sorry. Other kids wonā€™t wear a mask or wash hands. I donā€™t know where their parents been. Yes kids can get itā€¦my neighbors daughter got it from her daycare.

4 Likes

Back to school for my 9 year old, I need to go back to work the summer camp we used wasnā€™t able to operate this summer, itā€™s been a very long summer and both of us need the break from each other!

1 Like

I decided to go with cyber schoolā€¦ regular school will not be anything like they remember it and itā€™s too risky having the kids go back and forth when I am due with a baby boy in November

12 Likes

No. My kidā€™s school has less than 200 studentā€™s. Less than 20 kids in each grade. We live in a very rural area. I know that being out in the country doesnā€™t mean we cant contract covid but it does make me feel safer than in metro areas.

11 Likes

While still not 100% decided Iā€™m about 98% certain weā€™ll be taking the home schooling approach for at least the first half of the year.

4 Likes

Nope, get them back!!! If we dont get these kids exposed to everyday illnesses like strep and common colds, we are going to be in a bigger world of hurt. They need out, with a mask! ***This is my opinion and when I refer to ā€œthey/these kids,ā€ I am talking about my own kids!!

21 Likes

Iā€™m homeschooling all my children because I wont have my children go back to a school that is masked and not a normal school.

4 Likes

Keeping mine home! School wont be the same for these kids and i just canā€™t take the risk of her getting sick

4 Likes

Our school year started in June and both my kids are being homeschooled since everything is shut. They will be homeschooled until we find itā€™s safe for our kids to go to school

3 Likes

My mom has homeschooled all of my siblings their entire lives and I was homeschooled for a few years. For anyone struggling with the decision, let me just say, homeschooling does NOT cause kids to fall behind. A different curriculum is not a bad thing. They will learn valuable life lessons at home and have the opportunity to learn at their own pace. Homeschooling isnā€™t for everyone however itā€™s not a bad thing. Itā€™s an opportunity to have more control over your childā€™s education and be more involved. My daughter isnā€™t old enough to go to school yet but if masks are required when she is, I will definitely homeschool. I worry about the masks causing social development and behavioral issues. Homeschooling is an amazing opportunity so if you get the chance, take it! Just because a child learns something different than the state standard, doesnā€™t cause them to be behind. Some lessons are better taught at home anyway :woman_shrugging:t2::hugs:

4 Likes

I am considering it. We have discussed it and if going back will cause more trauma and anxiety than not they will homeschool.

3 Likes

Where I live (Netherlands) kids are back in the school since May, everything went good now summer holidays and then back again in September! :heart:

3 Likes

we are keeping our son home due to my husband having a compromised immune system and mine being nonexistent

3 Likes

I am planning on home schooling my child
She seemed to do better one on one with me then in school. Plus she was always sick while in school. Healthy as can be at home. I also asked her what she wanted an she said home schoolā€¦an it was her first year. But while this virus is going on. I want my miracle baby to be safe.

3 Likes

I had already been doing K12 with my daughter for 2 years. Iā€™m glad I can keep doing that program until she graduates if I need to.

4 Likes

I chose remote learning for my child. If he goes back to school it wouldnā€™t be the same. Heā€™ll have to wear a mask and stay 6 ft apart from his friends which is impossible for kids. Theyā€™ll have to be closely watched and I feel like the experience would almost be like a prison. This is just my opinion on it. There is no wrongs or rights.

21 Likes

Even before covid19 when my daughter went to school she got sick alot thatā€™s why im going to do online rather have her home healthy then having her get the virus an spreading to her brother an even me since im pregnant

3 Likes

I never thought I would do homeschooling but this year I will be and if it goes well Iā€™ll continue every year for my children

3 Likes

Iā€™m keeping my son home. Luckily, I can. I understand not all parents are able to homeschool. By my keeping him home I can keep him safer and there will be fewer children in the school.

2 Likes

My kids are going too school.Their is no way with working full time.With our schedules we can do homeschooling.Itā€™s just not for us.Do whats best for your families.

2 Likes

I feel like whatever you do stop guilting parents that arenā€™t choosing the same thing as you!!

3 Likes

My kids are goingā€¦ however, we are in an area with very few active cases :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not shore if Iā€™m up to doing 4 different grades. Cause they teacher much different then when I went to school. I wouldnā€™t wonā€™t then to be lost when they went back.

1 Like

Our state is doing 50 percent capacity or all remote learning. We decided that my 12 year old will be remote learning all year. It is the best for our family, most consistent for him as well.

Considering the fact that Missouri schools are forcing parents to sign death wavers I could see why

2 Likes

My daughter has an IEP in place and needs one on one with someone who is qualified to teach her correctly. Definitely going back to class

1 Like

To each their own, consider these points in your decision!
How old is your child?
Could they follow social distancing/mask being worn?
Do they practice proper hand washing/social hygeine?(i.e sneezing or coughing in arm/tissue)
Do/would they have access to friends/family outside of school? (Neighbors, siblings, virtual games/messaging/video chat)

Some children are more hyper, some more quiet.
Some may decide based on the possibility of spreading virus. Some may decide based on their childs ability to process or adapt to the current situation.

1 Like

I donā€™t get a choice. I canā€™t afford a computer with internet. I donā€™t want to send him, I am high risk and kindergarteners arenā€™t exactly hygienic. Lucky for those who can afford it and can keep their kids safe at home. I feel for parents who have to work and have no choice but to send theirs as well. No one helps with computers and internet where I live. My son either goes (his first year) or I get in trouble for not sending him.

We have been homeschooling our 13 year old who struggles with asthma. We were planning to send him this year but are going to keep him home another year. Our 18 year old will be going to college which is scary but she really wants to go. Our baby is also going to stay home.

1 Like

We are doing virtual learning. And it is only because of all the restrictions. Our 9 year old chose this because she said she canā€™t play with friends, hug them or even be near them, so what is the point?

1 Like

We have no options here. Schools arenā€™t opening and actual homeschool isnā€™t an option because there is a huge waitlist.

Iā€™m in the UK and if we dont have a good enough reason for nit sending ours back we get fined

1 Like

Do not confuse homeschooling with distance learning. Distance learning is public school just on a computer at home. They are actually quite different

1 Like

Do what YOU feel is best for YOUR family. People home school all the time and those kids turn out fine. Definitely remote for MY child.

Im doing the remote learnin for my kids my son has asthma n hes a greater risk in getting it. I have a 6 year old n a 4 yr old daughters.so im taking precautions,yes its hard for not having to see their friends or teachers but health is more important n plus my 4 year can start learning to even thou she knows alot.

My kid is 2 and will stay home and be ā€œhomeschooled ā€œ if cases are so bad why are they opening schools up?! Itā€™s more of a health risk for everyone. I have two people in my household who have comprised immune systems so I refuse to chance it

I have a tough choice. A senior in high school and a freshman in high school. I definitely think they will do better in school. But our school is only offering 2 choices. Fully remote or 2 days in school and 3 days remote

Virtual option. My son has a heart condition. Also respiratory problems. Her sees a cardiologist and pulmonologist. I wonā€™t be playing Russian roulette with his health.

Here in the UK they are reinstating fines for parents who donā€™t send their kids back in September, so Iā€™m heading towards that route!

1 Like

If our school district offers remote learning, we plan to choose that route. If they wonā€™t offer it, Iā€™ve been looking into a K12 homeschool option.

I pulled out of my district right before this all happened, and I am so glad. We home school now. Not virtual school, or so what the district says, but actually home school. Iā€™m glad I donā€™t need to make these choices.

My husband and I are essential workers we can stay home and home school. My kids need to go back to school. I will be be off work till November, do to having a baby. But I have 2 high schoolers and a jr. High schooler
I feel like they need to be with kids their age group. And meet new people. Thatā€™s what school is kinda about. And learningā€¦ and my kids play sports.

I would keep them home an if you feel you canā€™t do it make hire a tutor. Thatā€™s what I would do

we r doin homeschooling using CCA but not bc covid we just dont like how public schools handle bullying as well as homeschooling offers better curriculums

1 Like

I only want my kids home schooled during this pandemic but as a single foster mom & working with kids with trauma & ieps , I canā€™t do both I canā€™t go into work & be online to teach at the same time . So Iā€™m done fostering when my girls move

We live in Ontario :canada: and we are waiting till mid August to make our decision there are so many reports/suggestions/guidelines coming out that change every other week. Going to see what our cases are like at the time and what they have planned for the schools. We currently have no cases and are moving into stage 3.

Home school. Iā€™ll do whatever is needed to give my first grader the best education I can . Also Iā€™m 6 months pregnant and my child has asthma. Not worth the risk for us . Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry , Iā€™ve known two old co workers to pass away aged early 30s like me , that had no underlying conditions , and 6 others in icu. Thatā€™s enough for me

Iā€™ve been researching homeschool curriculums all day. My 1St grader will homeschool. Not because of the virus but the private Christian school she was going to is full and I donā€™t trust public school with her.

I chose homeschooling both mine.

And I work from home as a single mom.

And not JUST because of the virus; because of all the other things people mentioned above.

My children just did better and our life was gentler and happier in the spring.

We took the option to change every 9 weeks so I can put them in school if it gets too muchā€¦

Keeping mine home, our district is only letting kids back 2 days a week and my kids are on opposite days so now i canā€™t even work my teaching job at school. This is a rough year for us teachers and parents.

Homeschooling our 4 year old here!:raising_hand_woman: He would be in his second year of preschool, but Iā€™m not risking it. Heā€™ll miss out on the interaction with other children, but Iā€™m going to try my best to keep him safe. I feel like academic wise, he knows as much as a kindergartner at least. He loves to learn and loves a challenge. He asks to do his work books a few times a day, so it should be ok. When thereā€™s a vaccine or itā€™s safe, I plan to let him play with his cousins and friends as much as possible. I think it would be extremely difficult to get a small child to keep a mask on and not touch their face. Iā€™m happy he isnā€™t older and missing out on math or science at school!

Mine are going to school. It would be different if I didnā€™t work 12 hour shifts but I know they will be fine.

All 4 of mine are going back. They need it as much as I do. My dr friends tell me they are sending theirs or would if they had kids in school.
The school offers way more structure and routine than I can at home and I work from home so itā€™s just best.

We werenā€™t given option for in school learning so we will do homeschooling and not participate in e-learning.

Yes I definitely am keeping my daughters home. Kids 10 and under are not required to wear a mask in school. Which kinda freaks me out. I would rather be safe than sorry!!

Our school district is doing full distant learning for the entire school year. They had initially gave the option for traditional or distant learning, but they announced they week it is full distance learning.

I initially began homeschooling in January but obviously for different reasons but then I was wondering if I should reintegrate my son back into school then everything with covid started and well if Iā€™m being honest that solidified my choice to continue homeschooling. Heā€™s safer at home in all aspects

My kids are begging to go back to school. They all need the structure of the classroom and the social aspect of engaging with teachers and friends. Still, itā€™s such a hard decision. What happens if one of them gets Covid-19, is the whole family put into quarantine? My husband and I canā€™t be out of work, without pay, for weeks!

I am. Already started. I work 3 nights a week. So we are going 4 days a week. The kids are actually enjoying it. And I think that they are learning more because of it being personalized.

Some parents just donā€™t have that option. Some families have to have both parents working; full time!

Although I do feel my child benefits so much from being in a classroom with his peersā€¦I am at high risk from contacting COVID due to health issues that require me to be on several immune suppressant medicationsā€¦there for we have chosen to keep him home at least for the first term and then we will go from there. As much as he needs the social aspect of school, he also needs his mother and it is not worth putting myself in a life threatening situation.

It would really suck for both working parents if they had to home school because one of them would have to quit their job :confused:

Iā€™m jumping into homeschooling permanently unless I feel led otherwise down the road. The rules for covid etc. Are crazy and uncomfortable for anyone. But I have always wanted to homeschool and we did fairly well doing it on our own since March, and I tried to have her do public summer school this summer but it was all weird with the rules and I could never find out what they were actually doing etc, and I knew I had been doing much more with her at home anyways, so we are just going to do homeschooling from now on. They just made more crazy restrictions here too so I feel better just staying home.

Iā€™m keeping my kids at home for virtual learning. My oldest has asthma and my youngest has adhd and will not be able to wear a mask for a long period of time without messing with it.

My school hasnā€™t said what they are doing yet but if they donā€™t offer E-learning, I will home school. Prefer my kiddos home for now.

Iā€™m.in New Zealand we did home learning for our level 4 and some of level 3 lockdown we loved it ā€¦ It just sucks that so many of you still have 100ā€™s of cases daily and we have 21 in managed isolation I wish dumb arse Trump would lock it all down and keep u all safe like our amazingness of a prime minister did

1 Like

School shmool lol every set up Iā€™ve seen is just ridiculous for parents and the kids.
Me and them are about to learn skills like gardening, foraging, bees lol how to change our oil and tires. Save money and shit that actually matters.

We are choosing the online option. There is no way to mandate these new rules to be followed. Even if there is the teachers should not have to risk their lives in yet another way. We wonā€™t be a part of the spread.

We have no choice where we live. Itā€™s all online.

1 Like

I donā€™t know where you are from but there is a school in Ohio that is going to open back up in August everyday and do not require masks I think that is ridiculous to say the least if we have to wear them out anywhere else why wouldnā€™t they make it mandatory at school my kids will be home if their school does this