How much do you pay your mom to watch your kids?

does anyone in this group pay their mom or someone to watch your kids(s) ? i work full time & my mom has been watching my 1 year old. at first she never said anything about payment but now she said im going to start paying her… and for me to figure out a price because neither of us know what is reasonable. any suggestions?

132 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How much do you pay your mom to watch your kids? - Mamas Uncut

I pay my sitter here in NJ 17/hr

5 Likes

Is it everyday? Like Monday to Friday ? Early morning till arvo? How long is she watching your baby for

Grandmas should not charge to watch their own grandkids

20 Likes

As a grandma myself I would never charge my kids. I use to have to pay mine occasionally but only like $20 here and there

4 Likes

I just paid my mom for gas to watch my son. Right now that’s $400 a month

6 Likes

My mom owns a daycare and she wouldn’t dream of charging me to keep my kid.
Always make sure they have everything they need for your kid - diapers, wipes, snacks, meals, clothes, extra socks and shoes, sunscreen etc. Don’t make them have to buy any of that stuff.

3 Likes

My kids grandma [their dad’s mom] was helping me everyday with my youngest…shes retired and I started to feel the tension so I started to pay her…it was monday thru friday and i would give her like 50 a week plus make sure the kids had food etc stocked up at her house…lots of people will say grandparents shouldn’t charge…I used to feel the same…but she was doing me the favor and time is valuable so I had to let go of that resentment

9 Likes

I pay my mil $200 a week. From M-F, she watches 2 of them all day and my oldest for about 3hrs once she’s home.

6 Likes

I pay my grandma 60 a week to take them to and from school, used to pay 150 a week before they were in school

3 Likes

Wtf Grandmas don’t charge!

8 Likes

Thankfully my mom doesn’t charge me to watch my daughter. Im in school and only able to work 2-3 days a week … I’d basically be working just to pay her if that was the case.

2 Likes

I pay my mom with food. I’ll buy her her dinner. Or odds and ends she may need for watching my kids

5 Likes

Lol ask her how much she paid her relatives to watch you and adjust for inflation.

1 Like

Get a licensed daycare provider if you have to pay anyway.

7 Likes

Nope never. That’s my grandchild.

2 Likes

Yup. My mother in love keeps my almost 2 year old. Daycares in my area charge 135 a week for his age- I pay her 120.

1 Like

I’m a Nanna and I would never charge money to look after the grand babies and I have them a lot It is a privilege to have them

3 Likes

I’d say 4$ an hour for a grandma.

1 Like

When my son was little I I paid for $150 a week…I dropped him off at 7am and picked him up around 5…he now goes to school so I only pay her $50 a week and gets him off the bus at 330 and watches him till 530…we live about 5 minutes away .

2 Likes

My mom doesn’t charge but if she’s coming out of pocket for food and activities and toys then yes I would pay a couple hundred bucks a month. Also depend on where u live and cost of living. Does she have an income? 

2 Likes

I never charge for being with my babies. But full time I’d prob say bring there foods they like and plan on trips then ask for lil money to go but never just to watch. Just me.

2 Likes

I mean if you’re not providing groceries for the kid simply because it’s a grandparent, I would offer maybe 50 $75 a week. 

1 Like

I wouldn’t think about asking my kids to pay me to watch my grandchildren as I love watching them it’s what grandmas do

6 Likes

My mom didn’t charge me either but I would throw her money or pay a bill for her so she didn’t have to worry about it

3 Likes

My mom would not let me pay her, but I would pay to have her house cleaned each week and take her out to lunch on the weekends.

6 Likes

My best friend minds my kids sometimes and I pay him with food :joy::joy:.

4 Likes

Some of yall are ridiculous. Yes its family, but they are giving up their time. Would you work without getting paid? Same concept.

11 Likes

My mom never charged me. She was happy to do it. I provided food, etc

3 Likes

My mom watches all 6 of her grandkids and the only thing she charges is the cost of her monthly cellphone bill spilt between my 2 sisters and I.

2 Likes

My mom watches my youngest all day on Wednesday from 9:00 to 4:00 and then on Thursday picks him up from preschool at 11:15 until about 3:30 I pay her $50 . Any other time I need her to watch my two kids she watches them for free but these two days are taking out of her work week so I offered to pay her $50 a week for those two days to make up a little bit of what she’s losing

2 Likes

Every body acts like bills will pay themselves. Maybe grandma has no $ she needs $ for snacks gas etc. If my mom was babysitting full time I would hook her up with money regardless. She raised me not her job to raise my kids. Lol

14 Likes

I guess I’ve been blessed with my mom and family in general. I’ve never had to pay my mom or family to watch my kids. My great aunt even use to come out on a Sunday stay with me all week while I worked and was a single mom and then leave on Friday…. Then return Sunday again to do it all over. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Mum will watch bub overnight very rarely or if I have an appointment or something. I just ask if she needs anything from the supermarket when I go and always give her the best birthday/Christmas presents :sweat_smile: if she could afford to quit her job and have my son full time she would in a heart beat. She never expects anything but I understand wanting/needing the $

Charge ? What the hell

1 Like

I pay my mom $20/day for three kids. She puts them on the bus and gets them off it. Sits about one hour with them after school. Days of no school she gets $40/day. She watches them at my house. We live down the street from her.

1 Like

Grandma don’t charge you should be providing foods… that what I do

I paid my mom $100/week when my son was 3mo-1 1/2years old.

1 Like

When my son was younger my mom used to make me pay her $50 a day to watch him!
I paid that for about 4 or 5 months before I found somebody else .
I don’t think you should pay family especially a grandmother to be watching their grandchild

3 Likes

My mom is on a fixed income so we offered 100 a week. She is now dependent on it and it has helped her so much. We give more when we can.

4 Likes

My mom doesn’t charge me but I try to do extra things for her to show my appreciation, like paying for her flight ticket to Florida.

My daughters mother in law charges her 30 a day for her boy, dont charge for their girl.

2 Likes

That depends on if she wants to get paid like an actual babysitter or if she only wants to get paid a little bit so that she can have gas money and a little money so they can go do fun things. Also if depends on if you’re providing food. When my sister watched my kids I only paid her $20 per day for 1 kid and $30 for the day if she had both. I also provided food and snacks for mine and her kids. She just wanted to be paid to have gas money and for if they decided to go somewhere during the week. Now if she wants to be paid as an actual daycare then that’s going to be way more expensive. Daycare is about $150-$200 a week per kid.

I charge my daughter $15 a day for 3 kids because I run a daycare and that is 3 spots taken up

2 Likes

I suppose I’m lucky because my family would never ever ask something like that. Even if it were to be a consistent basis. And likewise, I also would never ask for money from looking after members of my family.

Full time daycare for us is 500 a month

1 Like

My mil will be looking after my 3month and my 7year after he finishes school when I return to work and doesn’t want anything from me or my partner, we have even offered to give her money and she said no

I’m not sure. My mom always provides feel child care for me for any of my kids or niece for free. :sleepy:

I paid my mom $150 a week (I was also only 18),

3 Likes

If grandma lives on less than $1000 a month in SS dollars, why should she forgo any type of extra income to work for free? Is she supposed to stretch that SS income to feed and transport the kids also? I would NEVER expect free services from anyone.

2 Likes

The entitlement here is amazing. You think grandparents shouldn’t charge??? For full time childcare??? It’s one thing for the grandparent to keep the kids for a date night, or a weekend break now and then, but if any of you are blessed enough to have a grandparent of your child willing to commit to full time childcare while you work… and you don’t have to put your child in a daycare with strangers… then absolutely you should compensate that grandparent for their time, UNLESS they don’t want compensation. Nevertheless, they are giving up their time and freedom to help YOU out during their golden years when they should be out living the life, kid free! Sure some grandma’s don’t charge. But there is no room for judging those that do. Go pay a daycare center for full time care and see what that costs.

13 Likes

I would definitely pay my mom,  especially if it were a full-time on a regular basis.  you know how much work that is, and mom has needs too! Even if you can’t afford the market rate (who can?) you should definitely be supporting her as much as she is supporting you. And hey, bring home dinner to her once a week as well!! 

4 Likes

I used to take my parents grocery shopping when they had my kids for the weekend when I worked doubles and when they took kids to school in the mornings during the week. It worked out good, they got a full fridge for the weekend , and following week, and my kiddos had what they liked there :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I never paid my mum. She didn’t let me. But I did give her spending money if required. So $20/$50 ect for food, games, petrol, treats ect whatever is needed. We lived with my mother so I already paid half of rent and bills and food. But we often brought things for Nana to show our appreciation. Like elephants, buddahs, crystals ect.

1 Like

No my mum wouldn’t dare charge to look after her grandkids. That’s actually shocking

3 Likes

My mom watches my youngest 3 days a week, and I do not pay her. She’s always watched my kids and still helps get my two older kids to/from school when needed also. She wouldn’t take money even if I offered.

2 Likes

Yes. I never had an issue paying my mom for watching my child when I worked. I would never expect for anyone to watch my kid for free just because they’re family. I did about $100 a week, but also let her use our extra vehicle for pickups from school.

6 Likes

If the grandma is watching the child/children all the time, she definitely deserves compensation! Inflation is at an all time high, people are struggling just to get by these days. Grandparents are not your own personal sitter, they have to live too!

10 Likes

My mother in law watches my two and four year old boys Tuesday, Weds, and Thurs and charges me $50/ day. Plus I provide groceries​:woman_shrugging:t2::unamused:

2 Likes

When my mom was alive, I didn’t pay her. She was always with my son while I was at work.

I wouldn’t charge to watch my grandkids. In this situation maybe she’s looking for gas money if she has to do driving? Gas is ridiculous right now!

I used to pay my ex mil $400 a month to watch my kids. I work 48 hour shifts and they’d stay with her instead of my exhusband when the kids were small. Plus I would buy groceries, mainly meat for them, she would cook for the entire family often so I made sure I covered our share of food.

4 Likes

I use to pay my mom $100 per week and would bring foods/snacks but of course grandma would make them other foods and take them out to be spoiled. It was never a issue.

2 Likes

I pay $29 a day. Daycare provides breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks during the day. I just send diapers and wipes.

1 Like

My aunt would watch mine when they were little and I would give her $150 a week.

1 Like

Nothing my mum wouldn’t take money she was their nanna she’d do it for free but she wouldn’t let you take the piss out of her :grin: xx

Depending on where you live at costs can be over 2k and the usually cost for small kids is 150 to 200 a week.

I never pay my mom. I buy her dinner sometimes. Shes never asked me for payment. I have a 10rd old sister I used to watch for free all the time when she was a baby. Were family we help each other out. Weve never had anyone else besides us so we depend on each other

I pay my mom when she does watch my kid $10 but it’s usually only for a couple of hours

I gave my mom $300 a month to watch my daughter.

2 Likes

If you qualify, the state will pay your mom to watch your kids thru the welfare childcare program

2 Likes

I paid my mom as much as a day care will charge. Simply bc I knew my mom couldn’t work bc she’s was watching my kids and I knew they were in better care with her so it depends on how much you make but I say anywhere from $100 to $150

3 Likes

My grandpa watches my daughter a few hours a day when I’m working and it would be weird to pay him

1 Like

I give my mom something to watch my 3 year old but she lives with us and is retired to help us.
I do it out of kindness

I watched all my grand babies 2 bucks an hour a dollar an hour for each child extra. I sure didnt do it for the money. But it gave me money to buy them extra things or go to lunch ice cream. I enjoyed my babies so much my last one is in school this year so it has been very hard for me after 16 years.

1 Like

I believe about 100 a week depending on the hours I mean a child that young in daycare can easily be almost be 200 dollars a week, than again she’s your mom she could help you out for a discount lol

1 Like

I pay 25 a day and provide snacks once a week in ny

She’s saving you the cost of daycare. She shouldn’t have to ask for a little help with gas or food if she’s keeping them full time. Consider her income and bills. And time.

2 Likes

Ive never had to pay my mom to watch my 6 children. All at once. She never asked and said no even when we offered :woman_shrugging:

My mom never charged me and I don’t charge my daughters either

Sounds like you need a daycare

Never once has my mom asked or expected payment from me to watch my children. If I’m at work, they’re in daycare.
If you can’t afford full day care, take the days you can afford to take away some of the burden from your mother for watching her own grandchildren🤦🏻‍♀️ (cry me a fucking river anyone trying to justify being paid to watch their grandkids)
The inflation arguement is super super cute but completely irrelevant when inflation effects everyone of us from grand parent to child.

1 Like

My MIL has watched all of our kids… I’m just super weird about daycares and who I let watch them… she doesn’t bother us about money but if she does ask for ANYTHING I always give it to her, always. The woman is literally a saint… we try and work opposite of each other as much as possible… so she really only has to keep them a total of 15ish hours a week.

1 Like

I’m a grandparent currently watching my granddaughter full time. I don’t charge my daughter, my grand babies are like my own children and I don’t ever want to see my children struggle. I would rather struggle myself than see my child’s struggling. And sooo many struggle because of daycare expenses and you have to work. My daughter has asked me a few times if I wanted money for watching her and I always say no way! However if I needed something or help with something all I would have to do is tell my daughter and she would be there! However if there needed to be a payment I would research in home daycare prices in my area and then divide that in half. So if they are charging 200 weekly for 1 kid I’d charge 100.

2 Likes

I would just ask her how much is she looking for. Be honest and come to an agreement with what you can afford. Things are so different now. I used to spend a ton of time with my grandparents growing up and I know my parents didn’t pay anything.

1 Like

All relatives should be paid! You know how much childcare is these days! Pony up peeps! Mom’s were meant to raise you, not your kids!

17 Likes

Get a few quotes from what daycare would cost you and ask her what percent of that she thinks is fair for her. You’d be paying the full price if you didn’t have her so I do think it’s fair to pay her something for her time.

5 Likes

All I can say is all you people who don’t pay a ‘daycare’ are very lucky. In my area daycare centers charge $225.00 a week for birth to 24 months and $195 a week for a toddler.

Nah my dad watches my daughter everyday after school.
I have offered to pay, he won’t accept.

My Daughter goes to daycare at my MIL ‘s after pre school everyday (12-5pm) and me and my ex husband split it weekly $160. She’s only there half days tho, when she was there full days we split $250 a week. She runs a daycare out of her home so it works out perfect for us, she’s with her grandma everyday plus other kids so best of both worlds. Depends on your situation, does your mom also work? Or is she home Only because she takes care of your kid? I would definitely talk to her about it, and provide any food, that doesn’t seem like it’s a lot but honestly food cost adds up so quickly especially when they are little and want lots of snacks

1 Like

I wouldnt charge my kids to watch my Grandbaby. I am praying for the day that my oldest moves closer so that I can watch her daily.

3 Likes

I used to have to pay my money to watch my son. I had to pay her $800 a month. Daycare Was 1200 a month.

1 Like

$100-$150/week or bring your own food/snacks and pay a little less

I don’t pay my mom to watch my son. But I do pay my other sitters $25 a day to watch my son.

Now before anyone freaks out. I don’t pay my mom because she lives 90 minutes away. I pay for the fuel to pick her up, her food and she uses my washer and dryer to catch up on laundry for her place while she is here. She feels that is more than enough on payment so I don’t pay.

Grandparents shouldn’t charge to watch their grandchildren, unless it prevents them from working elsewhere.

6 Likes

I shocked by how many people pay their mom to watch their kids, but I get it. I guess I will consider myself lucky that my MIL wanted to be the one to take care of the grandkids and wouldn’t accept a penny.

2 Likes

$20 a day is what I paid for an in home daycare. Then at a daycare through a school I paid $100 a week so even if they were only there 3 days I still paid the $100 I think either of these would be a good price for a family member.

I paid my mom’s cell phone bill in return for her watching my daughter. That’s all she asked for.

1 Like

I paid my mom 120.00/week to come to my house and watch my youngest when he was a baby.

4 Likes

Your going to have to pay someone anyway, and there’s nothing wrong with showing someone you appreciate what their doing for you.

6 Likes