How much do you pay your mom to watch your kids?

I never charged to watch my grandkids but my mother charged me 40 a week for 3 kids …2 went to school 1 stayed home with her.

I’ve never paid my mom to watch her grandchildren. She loves to spend time with them. I supply everything she needs for them

Payment to watch her own grandkid… Smh.
But if she was driving quite a ways or it was daily or something like that then maybe i could understans.

1 Like

Depends on how much you make. What is the average of Daycare or a sitter in your area. Example Minium wage in Ohio is $9.30.

I pay a babysitter on weekends and nights if needed. My mom and my mil do not charge. They also during the week go to daycare which is 194 a week!

“You shouldnt have to pay” says every privileged and entitled “parent” ever :rofl:

13 Likes

Thank God for my in-laws. They never charged me a dime. And refused to let me give them any money. I just buy them really big Xmas and bday gifts.

Just because family they are doing the role looking after and caring so you can go to work with the cost of things going up and if she has your little one she cant do work if she needs to so i think yes there your parents but sorry they did bring you up and give you everything i dont think its much to ask

3 Likes

I paid my sitter $20 a day and provided diapers and wipes and she did food and snacks!

Daycare is $$$$. I charge $125 and the places around me are $195 a week or more

I don’t pay my mom that’s her grandchild …. I pay my sitter 30$ for 3 kids fir 1-1 1/2 3x days a week

2 Likes

I run a daycare and I charge $25 a day : when my mother in law watches my kids for me I usually pay about $20 or buy her a gift. If my sister in laws watch our kids it depends on the length of time - but if it’s an all day thing where we go float the river or something I pay more.

I pay my mom to watch my 3 year old at my home and get the 8 year old off the bus. I pay her 250 a week and worth every dime. I was paying a daycare 200 but now I have the convenience of no running in and out with her and all the sickness has stopped. I was missing so much work bc she was always sick. My mom needs to live to so its pay her or pay someone else. I would call a local daycare and get a price then go from there. You will pay it one way or another so to me I am thankful my mom does it…

7 Likes

My mother in law keeps my kids while we both work full time ones in school, ones 4, and our youngest is 1. I pay her 200 a month. Just for her time. She didn’t charge necessarily but I know it’s time she’s giving up to allow us to work outside the home.

2 Likes

My mom doesn’t ask to be paid , but I’ll still give her things she needs. I give her gas money and spending money. They took care of us , it’s time for us to take care of them. I don’t even send all my kids for overnights unless they’re with their dad. Our parents aren’t the young parents we had. We need to remember. We’re getting older, so are they. They may not take money, but just buy em gifts they’ll enjoy !

3 Likes

I paid my mom 200 a week, butttt it was honestly not a lot considering the hours she had to work, so we picked up a full time babysitter who my husband and I pay 20$ an hour.

I just give her what I can. I buy food and snacks and things my mom and my daughter need while she watches her. But sometimes I’ll give her $40, sometimes I can only afford to give her $10. But she never asks for it, which if she did, I wouldn’t be upset bc she doesn’t have a job, but she’s my childcare so that I can work. I just pay her what I can afford & she’s always grateful :heart:

I do not charge to watch h my grand daughter

I quit my full time good paying job to be a SAHMimi and yes my children pay me to keep them while they work…but I use the money to take the grandkids to do things

2 Likes

In my area people pay babysitters 10-15$ an hour. But my parents never would accept payment for watching their grandchild.

I worked full time at a bar making $10 an hour (plus tips) I was paying her $20 an hour to watch both my kids from 11am-7pm. Although it was more like 10:30am-7:30pm because of drive time.

1 Like

My grandmother lives with us and the only time she watches them is while I work, which is usually 3rd shift or very late in the evening from like 7 pm to 7 am but they go to bed at 10.

I get home from work and take them to school and pick them up, I take them to all their appts, and after school activities.

She never charges me to watch them, but if she has something to do, I stay home with them.

I pay my MIL $100/week for my one year old and I think that’s a FANTASTIC deal because of all the one-on-one attention he gets and the knowledge that he is in a safe environment where he is loved. She will most likely be watching my 7 year old before and after school as well in the near future

1 Like

I’ve never paid family to watch my kids. I’ve also never asked fir payment to watch my siblings, neices or nephews. It’s family. That’s what you do.

I was however paid in chocolate to watch my sister when I was a teen and she was a toddler, so mum and dad could have date night.

My mom would refuse payment but that’s not what works for every family. Is she feeding your child? How long each day is she watching her each day? Is she watching her on weekends? Does she have to bring her to appointments, activities, etc? All of this should be considered in the price.

I do not charge to watch my grandkids

1 Like

I get $100 a week been doing it for 14 yrs now… His choice to pay but he knew I would have to work somewhere anyway

3 Likes

I pay my mom $50 a week

Everytime I offered my mum payment for looking after my toddler when he was smaller, she said that just having time with him was payment enough.

1 Like

$100 a wk at one point and she lives with me rent and bills free.

Tell her if you start paying her that you’re going to keep receipts and claim it on your taxes. Child care is deductible now so she better report it as income. I pay my mother-in-law 100 a week

3 Likes

I don’t pay my in-laws or my dad they do it for my hubby and I cuz we both work and 1 of my 3 is special needs. They watch them for us out of love , they have never asked for money.

3 Likes

All I can say is wow. My grandparents were my daycare. They kept me any time my mom was at work and I even slept over on nights that she was late working at the hospital. They never asked for a dime. They were just thankful to have such a big role in my life. My family isn’t nearby but I know that if they were and I asked, they’d never accept my money. I’d ask what’s going on and find out why she feels like this all of a sudden.

1 Like

My aunt never asks for payment, but I TRY to give her gas money. Sometimes she takes it, sometimes I have to sneak it into her backpack before she leaves. :sweat_smile:😮‍💨 Grumpy stubborn lady. :rofl::joy::rofl::joy: (totally kidding. She’s the best)

My mom used to watch mine overnight but didn’t charge me. However I wouldn’t have minded paying her. My grandmother has talked about retiring to help with the kids and if she did I’d pay her if she wanted me too. Free childcare shouldn’t be an obligation just because it’s family doing it.

6 Likes

My mom charged me $125 a week, $500 a month for 2 years :woman_facepalming:t5:

2 Likes

I never charge to watch my gradbabies

2 Likes

My MIL is about to start watching our 10 week old free of charge two days a week. She was already free on those days so she’s not losing income, and she’s doing it so we can get ahead. Otherwise we might as well just use daycare.

I have 5 of my grandkids from 7 am to 4:30 pm Monday through friday. I take four of them to school and pick them up and have my almost 2 yr old all day. I charge them $500 a month

2 Likes

My mom would never take money to watch her grandkids now if it’s someone else yea I would pay

1 Like

I pay my in laws $125 for 2 kids for 40+ hours per week during the summer. That is what my mother in law asked for. I think that is a bargain. I don’t mind, since they feed them 2 meals a day. My father in law is retired and my mother in law doesn’t work. Ask your mom what she thinks is fair and come to an agreement on payment. Well worth it to have family help out!

1 Like

I give my mother n law $20 and a pack of cigarettes to come to my house once a month on Saturday and watch my older 2 while me and daddy and our 9 month old go on a date. No one watches the baby yet.

I make supper or do take out for her driving us to and from work and if we ask her to watch one or both of our kids she never watches then for long periods of time csudr she doesn’t have the attention span to watch them

My mom won’t take anything because she values the time spent with them.

None. My mom would never charge me to watch her grandkids

My mom watched my daughter from November 2019-the middle of July 2021. Never asked for payment just asked that I get her Starbucks or a little treat every once in awhile, and I was fine with that. I am a SAHM now

My mom or in laws would never ask for money to watch their grandchildren.

I think it all depends on the grandparents financial situation. If watching your child keeps them from being able to make a living wage then you should supplement it so they can continue to do so. Trustworthy child care is priceless

5 Likes

My mom doesn’t take any payment. I’ve offered time and time again, but she enjoys the time spent with my daughter.

1 Like

My mom never charged me to watch my kids but like others have said, every situation is different. The mom might need some kind of income and you might feel safer with the kids with her. It could be a win win. I’d say $100 a week would be more than fair.

1 Like

Idk why grandparents these days think it’s mandatory for them to be paid to watch their own grandchildren.

4 Likes

$75 a week that’s for 2 kids but it’s my mom & it’s only like 5 hours a day! We bring food & snacks to!

2 Likes

i watch a couple kiddos from home and charge $75 a week even being certified in cpr, life saver, and have over 120hrs in child care college classes as well as 2 years experience in the daycare field. since it’s your mom i’d assume she’d give you a discount? im not really sure that’s kinda rough. also make sure you keep a receipt book so the both of you can claim on your taxes that’s being payed in.

I am the babysitter of my brother in laws 3 kids and we agreed to 100 bucks a week plus he upgraded my vehicle cuz I was driving an hhr but didnt have enough seats so he sold me his mini van.

My daughter gave me $40 a week for gas money . I had to drive 10 miles one way to pick my granddaughter up from school . Than back home and when my daughter would call when she was getting off the interstate and I would meet her halfway. She lives across town . I had to fill my truck twice a week. Now only once a month . Now I have a two year old granddaughter. Me Being older now and she is busy I get worn out so does my dog . One stay overnight a week. Just provide diapers and snacks . I provide meals

I paid my mom $250 per week. She watched her at my house, (I work from home) so I would have her take over at 9am and I would relieve her at 4pm.
We did this until my daughter was 16ish months old and I felt that she needed more interaction with kids, more sensory learning, etc, so we started daycare and I’m so glad we did!

That’s her grandma. If your gonna pay someone to watch you kid it might as well be a certified daycare. My parents had relatives watch us all the time and never expected anything. When my mom watches my kid she never expects to be paid. Every once and a while she’ll ask me to buy her some groceries but that’s different.

1 Like

If you paid for pay her, 1099 her so you can claim the childcare expense on your income taxes…

4 Likes

I pay my daycare 150 a week even if they are not watching her. When family was watching her I paid 100 a week and provided everything food,diapers,etc.

My mom would never charge me

I use to give my dad £20 a weekend to cover food

25 to 30 a day. But that’s for where I live. I’d recommend calling or Google how much daycare is in your area. And use that as a jumping off point

My mom didn’t take payment and I don’t
But I definitely think it’s a good idea
Having someone watch your child that you trust is soooooo important
Why not giving her some money to show your appreciation

3 Likes

My mom never charged me for that

1 Like

I didn’t have kids until my mom was willing to stay home. She watched 2 grand babies and the 2 older grandkids so 4 at a time. Me and my sister happily paid her $200 a week because one she’s our mother and 2 she quit her day job to do it for us. She did all that and worked in the evenings after we picked up the kids.

4 Likes

MIL watches kids. 3 & 6 months. 400$/week. Keep in mind it’s her sole income.

My mom would cuss me out before she let me hand over my money for watching her grand baby, but when she’s not with my mom, we pay a sitter $40 a day to watch her.

3 Likes

I have granddaughter and I never expected my daughter to pay me to babysit my granddaughter. Right now she is a stay home mom. Once in a while she would said could I get couple hours break or sleep more due of not enough sleep thru the nights. I take her in and my granddaughter love to be with us and her 2 uncles play with her a lot.

2 Likes

I say it’s fair to pay her… I’d pay $20 to $25 a day depending on the child (behaviors, eating habits,what you supply). Most daycares (in my area) provide everything except diapers/wipes/butt cream and charge $25 drop in rate

My MIL and I agreed on 125 a week because she isn’t getting a part time job to help me watch my baby. It’s a good price and I can trust my baby is at the best place for her while I work full time. I get to keep my job with benefits and retirement and she gets to have a small income and spend time with baby. We are all happy.

1 Like

As a grandmother who used to watch her grandkids everyday, i never asked my daughter for a dime, feeling guilty because they are my grandkids, but she lives 30 minutes from me and gas prices being high as well as i put off getting a job myself to watch them people kept saying i should have been.

1 Like

I “watch” my friends kid, honestly tho, we co-parent her. It’s pretty 50/50 unless she has a big work week. I charge only $25 a day and if she stays the night, I add $12 more so $37 for day and night. It’s extremely cheap for her and helps feed her and diaper her when she’s here. It doesn’t break anyones bank and nobody is making tons from it but the child gets the proper care she needs. It works for us! Everyone called me crazy for not charging more but honestly it doesn’t have rules, you can make your own. Whatever works best for you and grandparents.

2 Likes

I’d suggest 1/2 of what the daycares in your area charge per week. Weekly childcare here at a center is about $250 so $125.

My daycare lady that did it in her house charged me 35 a day and that included food

1 Like

My mom would never ask me for money to watch my kid or any of her grand kids. That’s really unfair, I’m sorry hun.

5 Likes

My kids are 17 & 11 so they basically watch themselves lol but when they were younger my mother in law quit her job to help us out. She would do school pick ups and keep them till me or my husband got off work. Now that they’re older if we do need her to do pick ups she picks them up and drops them off at our house lol. She never would ask for anything but when she would keep them at her house we would buy her stuff for them to eat

I watch both my grandkids everyday when they are in school I get one of them on bus in morning and they both come here after school then when there’s no school or summer break I have them 9 hr a day and don’t get nothing I did tell my daughter and father of the kids they can both pay 50.00 each week starting this summer

2 Likes

My mom quit her job to watch my son until he was 1.5 years. She got really sick. She would never take money. She still won’t. It’s her grandson

Its hard to believe grandparents asking for money to watch there grandbabies

2 Likes

I pay my Mom 200 to 300 a month to just give her extra spending money. I also put her on a credit card so she can use that when needed and help her out with anything she needs (food, fun money ontop of the 200 to 300, household items, food for my almost 5 year old)

1 Like

I never take payment to watch any of my grandkids. I use to keep my granddaughter every day I could never take payment I’m trying to help them stay away from daycares and large fees they charge.

I paid my grandmother $150 every two weeks (bi weekly). She never asked for payment, but I felt bad not giving her anything so we came up with that amount based on gas and her bills at home to help her out.

$125 a week is what I pay . That was to my mom and my now baby sitter. She was and the now babysitter satisfied. Which my mom never asked for I just chose to pay her.

1 Like

We paid our mother in law $20/day for one of our kids and 30 for two. But even than we didn’t make much so I became a sahm.

Showing the appreciation is key. It’s not an easy job and the trust factor in my opinion is worth so much!

My parents watch my daughter 3days/week, and have never asked for money. I’m thankful for them.

My mom never asked fir money to watch my baby but I would give her anything if she ever needed it

Depends if you’re providing the food, if you’re not $150 a week and if so then $100 a week. As others have stated, I would NOT try and claim it on your taxes unless you’re paying her the same as daycare and she agrees. Totally worth having a loved one care for your child. It should not cost your mom to watch your kids so this at least covers her expenses plus gives her a little something for her time.

50 dollars a week or see if you can have DHS pay.

I pay 160 a week for an in home daycare, depends on your area too and if you’re providing food

It is 27$ a day at local daycares around here for a 1 yr. Old

My mom won’t take money, none of the grandparents do.
They love coming over to spend time with their grandson.

My sister watches him Wednesdays, my boyfriends mom Fridays, my mom/sister Saturday and help out over the weekend

When we teach our children and grandchildren when we asked you we ask for money so we can buy food for them

Paid my mom quite a bit about 11 years ago. It was about $200 a week or so. Depending on my husband’s schedule and mine.

Some of y’all are a trip. My parents have never charged me to watch my kids either but that is from time to time. Of course if they watched them everyday while I was working I would offer to pay them. Maybe she could really use the money and the time that could be spent working a job is spent watching the child. Why not pay her instead of hiring a stranger to watch your child? I’m sure she wouldn’t charge near the amount a sitter would anyway. She would probably be happy with anything. Others have said $100 week. I think that is a great starting point to let her know her time and the love she gives her grandchild is worth something.

5 Likes

Maybe she just needs to feel appreciated. It might not be about the money at all.

1 Like

My mom would never take money from me. She has my kids 24/7.

4 Likes

If it’s affordable… pay her what you would pay a daycare center. This is how I see it… you can trust her more than someone else… it’s building an unbreakable precious bond. It’s just worth it to me. If it’s not affordable, at least make it worth her while financially to ensure she’s getting what she would get working a part time job.

I personally won’t charge my kids to watch my grandkids if they have them in the future, but that’s just me.

4 Likes

My mom won’t take anything at all. But maybe offer to pay one or two of her bills?

My son is so generous with me and always gives me $300.00 to take care of my grand children just for 2 days . The grandkids are 15, 13, and 11years old . We have so much fun together . Watching TV baking cookies and it is so much fun.