How much should a 3-month-old be eating?

I’m a FTM and my daughter will be 3 months on the 13th. She’s eating 4oz of formula but it’s not filling her up and 5oz is making her spit up. Is it too early to mix some coco wheats or baby rice up in her bottle?

51 Likes

Not really. I put my lit boy on baby cereal 3 days old

Since my kids came home from the hospital they always had baby cereal in the bottle, they never had a problem

Not coco wheat, baby cereal!!

1 Like

Oh man. Please don’t do this. Your child shouldn’t have anything other than breast milk or formula for the first six months

8 Likes

Maybe she needs to be burmped more or after the 4 oz before the 5th

3 Likes

No coco wheats. But baby rice cereal will be fine! Just a table spoon or 2 will do the trick!

7 Likes

Never in the bottle it’s a chocking hazard. And only formula or breast milk for the first six months.

6 Likes

My son has been getting oatmeal in his bottles since 2 months bc formula didn’t fill him up and he has reflux issues

2 Likes

DON’T PUT ANYTHING IN THE BOTTLE!!! It’s a choking hazard and completely unnecessary, all it does is fill baby up without giving baby the nutrients they need that they should get from milk instead

11 Likes
2 Likes

My daughter had oatmeal in her formula mixed in her bottled at 3 weeks for acid reflux (Dr approved), but that filled her up and she only ate 4 oz all the way until she stopped drinking formula at 10 months. Was also giving baby food by 4 months because dr said to give it a try.

Call and ask your doctor. No cocoa wheats.

Here comes the “I did it and my baby is fine” parents. Every child is different. It is known that putting cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard, cereal is empty calories, and nothing other than milk before 6 months.

But do whatever because no one listens to advice and do whatever they want anyways :woman_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes

I would try burping baby through feedings (if you’re not already). Every couple ounces stop and burp. Then you can give more with less bubbles. Also, a trick I used with formula bottles is a couple drops of gas medicine in the bottle before you shake it up. Completely takes away the foam and bubbles.

3 Likes

Coco Wheats is not baby cereal :rofl:

1 Like

My daughter is 3 months and eats between 35-40oz a day, my doctor said to give her a bit of baby rice cereal (super super thin to start) and never in the bottle because it’s a choking hazard

1 Like

Don’t mix any thing to the formula

1 Like

I would try the formula that has rice starch in it thats for acid reflux

2 Likes

Maybe add another feeding?

My pediatrician said oat cereal is fine don’t use rice cereal when they are that young

1 Like

No coco wheats! Do you burp her in between ounces when u give her 5oz?

Try a formula change… my son was having the same issue and we switched to enfamil AR its formula with added rice already in it. Dont try to mix it yourself. Stick with the five oz and burp after each 2 oz👍

2 Likes

Yes it is too early. Don’t put anything in the bottle it is a choking hazard. Try burping her in the middle of a feeding then give her the rest and burp again. My daughter eats to fast sometimes and I have to do this for her or she will throw up.

You should never put anything in the bottle because it’s a choking hazard. And rice cereal is just a filler and has no nutritional value. Just offer her more formula.

2 Likes

put an actual formula thickener in it, or change the formula…
make sure bubs being burped through the bottle

It’s called PACE FEEDING!!! BURP HER EVERY HALF AN OUNCE TO AN OUNCE

4 Likes

Coco wheats?! Is this a thing? I didn’t know people put that into baby bottles…

Infant cereal in a bottle is NOT a choking hazard. :woman_facepalming: It’s not like you’re putting freaking cheerios in the bottle. Lmao. It literally BARELY thickens the formula and allows them to feel full longer. Use the formula scoop and add one scoop of the infant rice or oatmeal to the bottle. By 3-4 months you can start feeding VERY runny cereal from a spoon and adding some formula to the jars of baby veggies to thin them down and spoon feed. By 4-5 months you shouldn’t need to thin them down anymore.

20 Likes

some babies need more than formula …my youngest was a big baby 23 inches long, he ate pablum that was very wet at 3 weeks…he lived did not choke!!

2 Likes

Each parent has there own way to raise their own. Each baby is different. I wasn’t able to give my daughter rice or anything like that due to digestive problems. Your the mom you know what’s best for your child. Do what you think is right for your baby.

2 Likes

Add Baby cereal it helps all my kids had it added they r alive

5 Likes

My boy also thinks he’s still hungry sometimes. Their bellies are full but their brains say otherwise. Give her a passy. After a few mins of me holding him chest to chest and/or giving him a passy he quits thinking he’s hungry.

3 Likes

Coco wheat? Um yes way to early.

Why not try a half an ounce or try a small spoon of formula once a day… and 4 oz of milk

Babies aren’t supposed to drink their food. Give her a few bites of baby cereal, gerber brand, before a bottle. Or, two ounces and have a burp and a break and then two more ounces. Good luck.

3 Likes

no food before 6 months. If baby is eating fast go ahead and feed the 4 ounces. Burp her well and wait a few minutes. Sometimes they eat too fast and don’t realize they are full right away.

7 Likes

Baby oatmeal hun.

My daughter has reflux and I tried rice but it made her constipated. She eats 4-6 oz and is spitting up constantly. Our daughter just told us yesterday to try baby oatmeal and use pear juice to combat the constipation. My daughter is 3 months also. I’m going with what the person with a degree says not random people on social media.

3 Likes

No, never ever do any of that.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t put cereal in her bottle this early unless directed by your doctor. I started giving my son cereal in his bottle way early as directed by his doctor, but he had reflux. It worked wonders for that and I have a happy, healthy 10 month old who is in the 99th percentile for both height and weight. I always recommend talking to your baby’s doctor then forming your own opinion and doing what you think is right from there. Mama knows best.

Wow the amount of terrible advice on here is astounding. Follow professionals advice that are updated and continue to research what is healthy for babies. Look up WHO and AAP guidelines when it comes to infant feeding. THAT is where you will get correct information.

13 Likes

My daughters dr had us start her on rice in her bottles at 5 months old. just half a scoop to every 3 ozs though.

2 Likes

My daughter is 10 weeks we put 1tsp of rice cereal for 4 oz bottle and burp after every oz .
She was eating 3-4 oz every 1-2 hours before this and now between 4-5oz every 3 hrs

2 Likes

Please do what your pediatrician says is okay, not what the internet people’s pediatricians have okayed for their babies.

14 Likes

My baby is just over 4 months. She started taking baby foods and has had green beans and rice cereal. My nany has reflix and spits up even after a few ounces. We burp every half ounce, she gets so pissed and sometimes every couple ounces we burp when she is mad and just wants the bottle. I have been told by my pediatrician that they only recommend putting rice cereal in a bottle for reflux. I can’t imagine why people are so crazy about it. It’s thickened formula. In a bottle. They make Enfamil AR which is thickened. There are dietclicians and other healthcare personnel who say it’s okay. But Idk, I never gave thickened formula thru bottle because I knew it wouldn’t fit thru the nipple and I didn’t wanna cut them or have to worry about buying the special bottles made for feeding rice cereal/formula thru.

1 Like

4oz then burp, then give the pacifier

I started mine with cereal at that age. Same reasoning too. It’s fine.

I gave my son baby food when he 3 months as told by his doctor at the time started with vegetables he loved carrots and sweet potatoes

2 Likes

I gave my daughter cereal in her bottles from 2 months and she is now a healthy normal 7 year old, my son I didnt and he is a healthy normal 10 year old. :woman_shrugging:t3:
Here’s a pic of them yesterday :heart:
You are momma you know what’s best, trust yourself :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Coco wheats? Did I miss something? I’m breastfed my kids if you can’t thicken breast milk there should be no reason to thicken formula it’s already thicker than breast milk. Personally I would talk to her pediatrician. But every baby is different maybe the baby could use some. I’m not sure. I know people who used cereal and ones who did not in their babies bottles as long as the baby is growing healthy that’s all that matters. If he isn’t losing weight or anything I don’t think I would.

1 Like

Your more then welcome to give baby about a tbsp of rice cereal mixed with a little bit of that bottle you will be feeding. Spoon feed if baby shows interest. If not toss in 3 tsp to bottle. Its perfectly fine. Just watch for constipation

Both my boys got oatmeal or rice before 2 months in their bottle.

1 Like

Change the formula. Obviously allergic or needs to see a Dr for possible acid reflux.

1 Like

When I left the hospital with my son they said to mix baby cereal with his formula or I would be doing nothing but feeding as he didnt get full. Today he is 6ft.5 LOL

1 Like

See. A. Doctor! She could be allergic/sensitive to the formula or have GERD. Or just need a thickener. A pediatrician has better answers than online

4 Likes

mY cHiLd Is HeALtHy/fInE AnD I PuT rIcE cErEaL iN hIs/hEr BoTtLe. :roll_eyes: Come on people there is a reason they DON’T recommend doing it anymore!!! But if you wanna risk your child’s life go for it I guess. :person_facepalming::person_shrugging:

17 Likes

I did but it’s not recommended. I didnt give a shit. My baby is fine.

Ask ur doc but she hey might have to change her formula

Try 4oz, burp every ounce (if she let’s you) or every 2 ounces, and if she still is try switching formulas. No cereal.

1 Like

Try a sitting up position for an hour or 2 after eating for the spitting up, I would talk with Dr b4 adding cereal (I used oatmeal but with Dr’s ok first) b4 any changes I would talk it over with Dr bc u know your baby better than anyone else but only a dr can say weather r not YOUR baby stomach is ready for it. All babies r different never forget that please

Don’t put cereal in her bottle. Burp her half way through.

2 Likes

I put rice or oatmeal in my babies bottles at that age but if 5 oz of plain formula is to much for her than adding cereal might be too so I would talk to her doctor first. Coco wheats are a definite no tho

Way too much food. You do one oz per month they are old and feed every 2-3 hours. It’s smaller more frequent meals. We tried a tiny bit of rice cereal and it didn’t help honestly.

What formula is she on ? And my daughter will be 3 months on the 12th :slightly_smiling_face:

I would talk this over with the pediatrician… Best advice you’re going to get!. It could be the formula or something else, so your best bet is going to be the pediatrician.

If you do mix something…skip the rice or oatmeal…start with the barley baby cereal…it will prevent baby from adopting allergies later. Much easier to digest and will not cause constipation

Are you sure it’s not filling her up? The spit up could be from having too much so I’m just wondering what signals she’s giving you. My daughter did have a bit of reflux so the Dr changed her formula.

Don’t put it in the bottle…
U can mix some and then add some formula in it… but it’s not safe to put it in a bottle

2 Likes

Growth spurt probably.

Never ever ever feed an infant under 6 months old any kind of solid food! Including rice cereal. And for anyone saying “my doctor said at this many months ect” news flash for you! Unless your doctor did an ultra sound to see if your babys tummy was full developed there is NO WAY they can say they are ready. It may not cause them stomach issues now but it can and will in the future. Do your research and make sure your doctor is up to date on this! But to answer your question it sounds like your baby might already have a sensitive stomach and switching formulas might solve this issue. But please dont give your baby rice cereal!

12 Likes

Definitely don’t do rice cereal as it has arsenic in it and it’s not recommended. Oatmeal is recommended but you definitely need to talk to the doctor first. They suggested we put it in my sons bottle who will also be 3 months on the 13th but we chose not to. They said to do a teaspoon for every ounce and get y shaped nipples. I feed my son 2.5 ounces every two hours because he suffers with acid reflux. It’s tiring but worth it because it helps his regurgitation and stops him from being choked or spitting up. If you do oatmeal beware that it will cause gas and stomach aches because their little tummies aren’t ready for it so it takes awhile to get used to. Before anything definitely speak to the doctor. Our recommended it but we chose against it

3 Likes

Rice cereal has no nutrition value whatsoever.try oatmeal .had this issue with my grandson,started spoon feeding at 5 months.filled him up along with the formula.never had stomach issues he’s 5 yes old now .use your best judgement all babies are different

3 Likes

Why yall reacting the angry face? This is the place where moms come for advice, not your bitch ass judgment.

Way too early… 6 months is the minimum age to give anything other than milk.

5 Likes

She may be lactose intolerant. My son was. You might think she isn’t full but ehat it really may be is acid reflux and she is upset because it hurts. A child with reflux will keep eating because swallowing the formula is suppressing the reflux until done feeding again

AAP aka THOUSANDS OF PEDIATRICIANS say nothing in the bottle. It’s a choking hazard. Here are the AAP guidelines.

2 Likes

She might be having an issue besides being hungry. I’d try out gas drops and things first and see how she does.

1 Like

rice cereal. I alway added a small amount at two wks. Were all sleepi g through the nite before 6 wks.

My opion:
Moms opinion trumps ALL others. And I mean ALL.

3 Likes

Rice cereal is fine but I never put it in a bottle I made it a little thin put baby in the car seat and feed him with a spoon

Too early. Just make her 8oz bottles

Burp her, mid feeding.

2 Likes

Do not listen to any of these moms. When it comes to the well being of your child, YOU know best. And if you’re unsure, ask your doctor. I started introducing my daughter to solids when she was 4 months old because her doctor told me it was okay :woman_shrugging:t3: If your baby shows interest in foods you’re eating, you can start. If they’re not doing so well with the spoon, wait a few days and try again.

4 Likes

Give her Gerber apple stage 1 and mix a spoonful in her milk it worked for me and my baby slept through the night. Just keep it at 4 oz and mix it in.

2 Likes

No :clap:t3: food :clap:t3: until :clap:t3: 6 :clap:t3:months :clap:t3:

17 Likes

My first son we put rice cereal in his bottles a week after he was born because he wasn’t retaining any of the food and always hungry and he was perfectly fine. Slept 10x better and was happier with a full tummy. My second we didn’t have to until he was about 6 months but he also was on soy formula and it caused bad constipation so we weren’t trying to add to his uncomfortable situation and only added it into his breakfast and dinner bottles. He also had no problems with it. I guess every kid is different and every parent has a different comfort level. I did it on the advice of my godmother and I trusted her seeing as she had 3 fully grown sons all who she was recommended by her doctor while she was still in the hospital to add cereal to make sure they got enough to eat and I knew she would never give me bad advice especially with me being a first time mom. Do what you feel comfortable with and what you feel is best, in the end that’s all that matters.

1 Like

I would try her with some rice cereal at breakfast. See how she goes. I started both my babies on solids at 3 months. I knew they were ready.

4 Likes

I’d certainly try 4 and a half or give her one more ounce maybe 15 minutes later after a good long burp calming session. If not there could be underlying belly problems. My son use to spit up all the time, we never quite figured out what it was but he grew out of it eventually…seems to have been the same issue you are having. Best of luck!

Babies eat to get nutrition. They dont eat just to get filled up. Thats all cereal does, it has no nutritional value at all.

3 Likes

People need to quit giving advice to give babies this young anything other than formula. You might think your baby is “ready” but there stomach/intestines are NOT. And it can cause problems for your child when they are older! Do some research.

6 Likes

I put rice cereal on my sons bottle at TWO WEEKS OLD. He is 17 month now and he is as healthy as can be. My mom always told me nobody gets full off of liquid. You know your child best. I would say don’t over do it. But start with just a tablespoon and see if your baby tolerates it.

2 Likes

Just my opinion and what I did when both my kids was still acting like they was hungry and I got the ok from there doc was at night time in there formula put rice cereal and that keeps them from being so hungry during the day. They would take that at night and then during the day take there reg bottle of formula

Research is now showing we should wait til at least 6 mos for food. Rice cereal has been shown to have no nutritional value for baby, so its just a filler. Baby should only have breastmilk or formula at 3 mos.

4 Likes

Everyone has their own opinion and some can get high and mighty about it…so my advice is to talk with your pediatrician about it and see what they suggest.

2 Likes

What the fuck, coco wheats?! Qdding rice cereal to the bottle will do nothing but increase her chance of choking. Do a 5oz bottle and burp at least twice in the middle of it.

You can either do 4.5 oz. Or you can try to feed her late and feed her thr 5oz and just have her eating further apart! I wouldnt mix anything in her bottle unless absolutely necessary! And always talk to your childs dr when you are unsure what’s good for one moms kid isnt always what’s good for yours!

Just do what you feel is best for your child. Every child is different. Put some in his bottle. If he’s not ready most will spit it up. Try just a little and see if he holds it down or spits it up. I nor anyone else can tell you what’s best for your child. Only you can. He’ll let you know. GL be blessed

Some of y’all are ridiculous, she’s asking a question, stop getting mad about a question. Which one of you had all the answers as a first time mom, if you say you did you’re lying.

If shes spitting up try similac sensitive for spit up or enfamil AR.

Girl you know your baby better then anyone. Try a little rice cereal in her bottle and if it upsets her tummy then stop. I put it in both my kids formula at night time at 3 months. None of these people have an MD behind their name and none of these people know your baby like you do!

2 Likes

I say no. Go up half an Oz :unamused: