How much should I get paid to babysit?

I think $50 is a lot :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

When I babysat it was 10 dollars per kid per day and they had 3 kids. Over nights and date nights cost extra but I went to them and they provided all the food and snacks so I felt that was a fair price that wouldn’t break the bank for them they wanted to give me more but I didn’t want to take anything from the kids. They were hardworking people just trying to get by and I was usually only there at max 6 hours I was also young and only had my car insurance and phone bill that I had to pay for and the kids were usually a joy to take care of.

Shoot your getting paid well for baby sitting. I was getting 150 a month then 100 a week 8-10 hrs a day.

1 Like

My nanny works less hours than this, does less work than this (because I don’t expect her to do this much; she’s an AMAZING nanny) and for two kids I pay $525 a week. I own a pretty successful company but it sounds like we don’t make as much as these people. You’re DEFINITELY underpaid

16 Likes

Change it up and charge for each kid a day. 3 kids = $35-40 each.

1 Like

I made $12-15/hr while nannying one child. I did drop offs and pick ups, “field trips”, homework, tutoring, meals, snacks. Basically everything a 6 year old could need over the course of my time with them. If nothing else, you should at least be making minimum wage, IMO.

Typically, daycare runs between $150-$250 a week… for at home with no degree getting paid $150 for 3 days… I think your getting more then most people in the same situation. Also, don’t judge them just because you see what they have. They are living to their means just like the rest of us. You have no idea what they have extra. Their nice things cost money that they obviously work hard for. Also, A teachers aide that has paid for certifications usually gets paid minimum wage-10 dollars an hour.

2 Likes

It honestly depends on your location and what’s around you. I used to do daycare and in my town, the normal is $25 per kid per day if I provided meals and $20 per day if they provided meals, with a discount for multiple kids. So if I babysat your situation, I would be getting paid about $45 a day($20 for the first child, $15 for the second because of a discount and $10 for the third since they are part time) since it is in their home and they are providing all the food. Again, this cost is normal around here but it varies based on location. At 18 years old, with no degree in childcare, I think $50 a day is great.

Daycare, is normally charged by the week per child. 125 a week for a fulltime schedule would be reasonable. Since there’s 3 kids, and none are infants, if you want to offer a discount…I’d say about 250 a week. They are paying you like that, because you are allowing them to. Know your worth.

4 Likes

Only thing your gaining is getting paid under the table… so it doesn’t take taxes out?

$20 bucks a kid a day

I pay $20 a day for one kid

Daycare costs a minium of $150/a week for childcare here and thats low income prices.
Nannies start at $13 an hour.
You are working 10 hour days and should be compensated for all the kids.

3 Likes

Shit a girl who watch’s dogs in my community makes more than that in a day for watching dogs ! I definitely think u deserve more

3& half year old twins in their home from 7 to 5 then a 6yr old 3-5 plus the other responsibilities. I was 16, 17, 18 literally making $500 a week doing this 35 years ago. Yes taking a child to a day care facility is a good $150-$240 a week or more one child, but having someone come to your home ( like a nanny) they charge $25 an hour for one child plus extra for each child after that. I absolutely think you should be paid by the hour your time is as valuable as theirs and your responsible for their most precious gifts on earth. Your driving to your job( & back ) working 10 hours a day i absolutely think its worth $15 an hour or more . Yes I do understand for those who think I don’t - I have had my own children, been a single mom and had a tight income… so I get it but… I paid dearly when I had to have a sitter .
I have had “close” family that owned Sitting Agencys, and worked in them myself in the past. You get what you pay for especially when you want someone to come to your YOUR home 10 hours a day for 3 children just like a regular Job… this is regular job for this 18yr old if its not equivalent to or more than she would make somewhere else for 10 hours a day with no break then why would she want to even do it ??? Yes i think $15 an hour for one plus atleast $5 an hour for the second one… then an extra 10 or 15 a day for the 3rd child in their home.

I was paying 10 a hour for a sleeping child all my sitter had to do was watch him sleep then take him to pre k

I paid my mom 200 every other week when I got paid I worked from 11 am to 7 8 pm

Where I live in home daycare is 4/hr per kid. Some do sibling rates so 4/hr for the first +2/hr for every extra kid.

Charge per kid a day. If they sent their kids to day care, they would pay the same. Maybe the difference with you is you don’t have a certificate? But girl, you are like doing what the day care would do.

1 Like

Between $12 to $15 an hour is standard in Alabama. Check out Care.com and see what others in area are charging and go from there.

1 Like

10$ more a day sound about right

They are exploiting you!!! :expressionless:

1 Like

To send my kids to daycare is $105 per child per day… nappies and food etc are supplied by the daycare… but Australian minimum wage is much higher than Americas. Ours is more like $20 an hour…

What you do is still work. Even tho most people don’t think it is. I’d be asking for minimum wage payments at the least… so $75-but up to $100 a day if you’re keen. You are clearly being taken advantage of. Looking after kids is hard work.

Daycares have people with medical training and cpr . Do you have those qualifications too? Be something to consider

Not enough. When my daughter was attending daycare part time their rate for the day was $55 per kid regardless of how many hours.

Actually one child per day care in the area i live in(also Alabama) it is 100 a week for day and all I had to send was diapers/wipes and extra clothes when he was still in diapers. They provided the breakfast lunch and a snack. So with that said $50 a day is a good rate. What you’re not taking into consideration is how much they are having to pay for the new house, mortgage for the place they’re living in now plus if they have student loans. That’s not counting the cost of groceries, car payments, and other household expenses. I do believe that you are getting a fair rate.

6 Likes

150 a day cash. Those are starvation wages.

1 Like

They clearly are taking full advantage of you! This is like 5 an hour you are making!

2 Likes

At least 25 per kid, maybe even more for the kid thats there a long time.

Virginia they are currently paying 25-30 a hr u r working for free smh run run as fast as u can

I bet they are paying her cash or personal check paying her under the table wonder if she gets a w2 to dk her taxes probably not taking advantage of you

Tell them you need more money! At least $20.00 a day. That’s a bargain! Or charge $7.50 an hour. If not, babysit elsewhere!

Get a different job…

I am in TN most daycare workers here making minimum wage up to $10/hr. In a licensed facility. That money gets taxed of course where as I’m sure yours isn’t and won’t be claimed as income for the year. I would call around to some local daycares and ask their rates. Inquire as if you’re looking for daycare for yourself, tell them it’s for TWO 3y/o children and whatever the days are that you watch the kids. don’t tell them you’re rate checking this will give you a range in which the parents would be paying for a licensed facility vs what they are paying you. Then you can use that info to determine what you think is fair considering you aren’t licensed. Take into account that you come to them as well as doing baths and such bc those are things daycare aren’t providing and there’s always a convenience fee - make sure to add in the cost of gas/drive time as well

I baby sit as well, and I get 20$ a day per child. It is tax free I keep a 7 month old and occasionally a 6 yr old. From 7 am to 530. Since you only have the oldest a few hrs half price for him is fair. I think 50$ a day is about rite. You are in there home so they provide all meals you only have to prepare them.
I paid 125$ a week for my baby to go to a licenced daycare when I worked I had to provide Formula and diapers and wipes.
They have obviously done well providing for their family but just because they’re doing well now does not mean they didn’t struggle to get there! If you do not agree with what they’re paying you you have options:

1. Talk to them about it!
  2. Go find a new job
  3. Just quit
2 Likes

Sounds like they should sell one of their BMW’s and pay you what you deserve. You cook, clean and take care of 3 kids over 8 hrs everyday…for only $50 a day??? You’re to nice and they’re taking advantage. You sound more like a nanny that practically lives there instead of a babysitter. Good daycares around where I live charge 500 a week for 1 kid

2 Likes

You should definitely charge by the hour, not by the day.

1 Like

Wow! 5 bucks an hour?? They need to double if not triple it your pay tomorrow. You can literally get a job doing ANYTHING else and make more than that. They are seriously taking advantage of you. Show them this thread if they’re confused when you ask them to double your pay.

1 Like

Minimum $20 an hour per kid! Take it from me, with decades of experience… Hardest job on the planet. Take pride in the work you do, and don’t accept anything less!

Charge per kid, check pricing of local daycares

If they really value you they will pay you what you think is fair.

They’re taking advantage of you, they should be paying more

Seesh.
A USD for every 1.42 NZD (New Zealand)
So with ur minimum wage, ur making around $10.68 NZD…
The minimum wage in nz is $20 an hour

I’m from Iowa and that seems very fair. It’s their home and their food.