How much should we pay a babysitter?

What do you guys think is a good idea to pay a baby sitter? I have three kids, one is school age. Taking to and from school would be on me but the other two will be home. Min wage is $14.49 in my state. Would you pay x amount for the kids and x amount for the hours? Not sure how to pay. Also, is there away I can ask the courts to have the kids non-custodial parent help pay? I know they can pay half for the daycare which is what’s happening but I’d like to have them at home more than anything. Thank you! Sorry if I don’t reply to all sometimes my phone only shows half of the comments!

41 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How much should we pay a babysitter? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Call around to your local day care facilities for pricing.

1 Like

My mom was paid $3?a day for kids room & board for a year. After that it was free for four kids.

2 Likes

Child care is child care , you can file for a modification and if it’s substantial enough, child support will increase. As for what to pay the babysitter, definitely not minimum wage. $20/hr is fair for your state. Add $2 per child for total rate. If you expect any pick ups / drop offs/ cooking or cleaning ,that would be nore.

1 Like

We pay my 19 year old 25 an hour for one kid. Minimum wage in my state is 15/hr. She watches my 11 year old sometimes.

I pay 130 for 3 days 4 hrs a day

Pick what you feel is right, and mention that wage is negotiable! People will be honest & it will give you an idea of what should be paid. :slight_smile:

Mine’s 20 per hour. She’s a teacher at her daycare who does it on the weekends when needed. She teaches the 5 year old but my daughter always runs to her when we get to school so I asked, she said of course.

1 Like

I was reading all ya’alls comments and 20-25 an hour?! I make $12 an hour at my job so I couldn’t pay that much for a sitter… god :flushed: I was paying my brother off n on $30 a day which was nearly a whole day’s pay for me so I had to cut that. I’m glad I’ve a friend who babysits for me for free now… I pay her when I have the spare funds. Man am I lucky.

14 Likes

Are younot getting child support? If not, go to srs and go after it.

In my state a babysitter is 125 a week m-f / 7-5 that is regardless if they go all 5 days or not. Most daycares run 140ish a week from 8am to 3:30pm. Although certain daycares also offer income based childcare.

I am a stay at home mom now as of 2 yrs ago when my sitter quit watching my daughter… It’s really hard to find trustworthy people. Do interviews and see how well your child responds to the person you choose and pay attention to how they treat your kids. Best of luck to you!!!

My grandson pays 162 dollars a week for daycare. 8 hours a day for 5 days. That’s 650 a month.

All these people on here seem like money grubbers why on Earth would I pay you that much to watch my child no one on Earth would pay me that to watch their child around here why on Earth with somebody else expect me to hand out my money like it’s just cool to do so you think that minimum wage went up so now I’m supposed to pay you more for a job that means you probably sit on your but half of the day while the kids play in their room or come in there and give them snacks as it goes like seriously 20 bucks a day that is utterly ridiculous people are just insane

8 Likes

My sons baby sitter is $35 a day, her rate not mine, and he’s there typically from just before 8 in the morning to just after 5, but he doesn’t go everyday

1 Like

I had someone say $5/hr per kid, more for extras. Daycares around her in Wa was $27/hr.

I paid mine $40 for 3 hours the other night (only use a babysitter a couple times a month) the kids slept part of the time but I know she wiped both kids butts :joy: and she is 14 so not ideal . She was happy with the $40.

1 Like

I charge 20 a day for one kid, 30 a day for 2 kids and so on… and this is in iowa… One family I get 150 a week and I have her kids (10 wks and a 5 yr old) for 12-13 hrs a day… my goal was to make daycare affordable for families!

5 Likes

15 to 25 a day per kid

3 Likes

If you pay taxes for your sitter, you can request the other parent help.
I paid my nanny $20/hr (two toddlers) plus mileage.

ETA: about 6hrs/day, 3-4days/week

Sounds like you need a nanny more than a babysitter.

3 Likes

18$ an hour for 1 kid and 2$ extra per kid.

I pay $15-20 a hour Depending on qualifications must have first aid and CPR mandatory

1 Like

My cousin pays us $25 a day for her son who is 4 and we pick her daughter up from middle school for her.

What does the job entail
For instance is it just basic child care
Or does it also include house hold chores
In which case you might be better of hiring a mothers helper

$25 a day for Kentucky

2 Likes

How many hours are they watching the kids? Is it only when u drop off and pick up the school age child or all day?

My grandson pays me $30 a day for his two ages 18 mons.and three, he set the rate, I don’t watch them everyday.$50 on weekends if they parents go out

This post has way to much info missing to give accurate response. Are they doing just basic child care or are you expecting them to teach along with cooking and cleaning or household chores? Are they expected to follow strict routine or free for all? How many days? How many hours? Weekends? During evenings or overnights?

If it’s all inclusive I’d say at least minimum wage per hour if not more. If it’s just basic child care for couple hours, then it’s per day. But best idea is to sit down with potential nanny and ask what they expect and compromise on duties/pay/time. I understand you’re trying to get feelers out for what to expect, but you need a lot of details to get serious idea. No matter what you choose, it’s cheaper than daycare in any state!
Best of luck to you

1 Like

I pay 130 per kid a week at the daycare i take my son to. Hes 2. I paind more when he was an infant.

1 Like

As someone who was a nanny most definitely plan on paying at least 20 an hour. I was young and dumb and did work for a lot cheaper a lot of those situations turned into huge messy situations (caught a partner cheating yeah not worth the 14 an hour they paid me). You may think they dont do a lot but they do. They also pay for their gas and certifications.

2 Likes

Minimum wage in PA is still $7.25 an hour unless you have a gov job, it’s disgusting.

1 Like

I used to babysit in 7-8 grade… 4 kids… $1/hour/kid. 1997-1998.

2 Likes

Sitters should be free…nannies should be however much their monthly expenses are.

10 Likes

I’m a nanny and get paid 25$ an hour for 2 kids (3-4 hours a day)

2 Likes

25$ each kid a day so 50$ a day for 2 kids up to 9 hours

1 Like

Babysitter and a Nanny are two different things. Also what do you want the nanny/sitter to do?? Is it just watch the 2 kids? Since the other is in school. Or do you want the person to teach/clean and cook and the rest? How many hours are you talking about?

Baby sitters here in De make 18-25 an hour
Nannies are much more because they do more a lot more and have some kind of certificate.

I know growing up and babysitting late 80’s and early 90’s. I got paid $5.00 an hour per kid. I had regulars and enjoyed my time with all of them over the years.

Looking back and hearing what people are charging cracks me up… Cause that would never fly during that time frame.

Good luck in quest.

2 Likes

I would talk to the person you have in mind and see what they were thinking price wise and go from there. If you think it’s too high see if you can meet in a happy medium. Also keep in mind, whoever is babysitting won’t be having to buy food or use anything of their own to care for your children so I wouldn’t go off of daycare prices because those prices include food, snacks and other things.

I pay $25/hr. One kid. 15-months-old.

I would probably do like 15 a day per kid so $30 a day honestly…. I watch my niece for like 4/6 hours when her mom works and I get $10 a day but I also don’t want to charge her anyways and she insists on paying

3 Likes

Ok l pay 40 a day for daycare and my child is doing amazing

$50 a day for an 8 hour day

1 Like

Actually check the going rate in your area through google or some other reputable company to get more of an accurate rate for baby sitter! Everyone’s circumstances are unique and different so do you research and make a sound decision from there

2 Likes

I’m explaining because I’m a single father and been through this and know by experience to thoroughly do your research

1 Like

Some people will charge outrageous prices. I had made a post one time and all the ladies in my area were asking 25$ plus a hour! I’m like I don’t even make that and all I was asking was for like 4 hours a day 5 days a week. And my children at the time were 6 and 9. Maybe ask someone you know or sometimes the state will even pay someone if you look into those options

1 Like

Make sure of you get a babysitter that they have an Australia wide police check. And $30 an hour for two kids is reasonable.

3 Likes

Around here the rate is like $20-$25 an hour.

Find someone you trust. alot of the people that I baby sit for get a discount with more kids that they have me watching but most of the other people ive seen charge 20 an hour so I’m not sure what the normal range is.

I do inhome day care. I do 2 kids for 50 bucks a day plus their snacks. Usually have them 8hrs.

4 Likes

The point of a babysitter vs daycare is to not pay daycare wages. Js if they are charging you daycare wages get a professional

6 Likes

Take the amount you wished you made in a day and divide it by the amount of kids the baby sitter watches.

This post doesn’t really specify. If I was just going on a dinner date or something and needed a brake on the weekend I would pay 25$ or little more depending on how many hrs. Now if I was choosing to have a baby sitter rather then send my kids to a daycare I’d work out a private price with the babysitter. Like 3$ an hr so for 2 kids 8 hrs 5 days a week it would be 120 a week for example. Obviously itd have to be an agreed upon amount but you have to be able to provide for your kids how is that possible if you are working to pay daycare.

2 Likes

The concept of hourly rates more than what most people make is crazy to me. I can’t afford those people because it’s literally my wages lol :joy: when I did childcare full time I charged by the DAY not the hour. The parent needs to make money as well. My mom had a home daycare and also charged by the day. I honestly think a daycare would be cheaper than a nanny these days. Unless you know someone who won’t hurt your paycheck to 0$

3 Likes

If I know you I charge $10 an hour.
If I don’t and you’re requesting me as your sitter it’s $20 an hour.

1 Like

Where I live, for daycare, it is anywhere between $30-$40 for the 8 hour shift, not an hour.

I only use babysitters for night outs or a few hours a day on a weekend, and I do tend to pay them more, so like I’d pay a babysitter $50 for a night, me leave around 7p, home around midnight or something like that.

I’m most states a babysitter especially full time counts as daycare it’s bath childcare.

My little one goes to daycare, I pay them $140 a week. One of the teachers watches my little one when the daycare is closed. She charges me $25 for the day or $100 for the week and $10 for a couple hours. I pack her lunch and snacks. She’s at daycare 7-4:30 and a little longer with the teacher who watches her bc she lives further away.

$35 a day from 6:15 until 3 pm. I’m from Ohio .

I used to pick her up in between my break (from 8;45 am and drop her back off at 1 ) but I wasn’t saving any money so I started leaving her there .

I use to babysit for $30 a day. That was from 7am to 5:30pm. That wasn’t even $3 an hr… but It let me stay home with my own kids, contribute to the household and help other parents out. I only took on 2 kids a week so I was making about $300 a week.

In NY a girl that I babysat did have her ex pay half of babysitting through court order. I had to write up a statement of how much I charge and we showed proof of transactions (her checks going into my account weekly)

Daycare rates where I live are about $44/day per child, that’s at a center. You could pay a little less probably if they agree. I paid a sitter for a while about $30 a day for my son. So I’d say double that?

It depends on where you live. I live in Massachusetts, and I wouldn’t babysit for anything less than $20-25 an hour. I’m also teacher certified, cpr and first aid certified. Daycare here is atleast 350-500 a week, around 20,000 a year! It’s crazy!

2 Likes

Your best bet is to get a court order from a judge to get the other parent to help with half the daycare. Then find a daycare for your 2 younger children. Because your going to need documentation to prove in court your kids are getting child care from an actual licensed child care facility.

I babysit and I charge 25 $ a day I’ve had my same little guy for almost 4 years and it has allowed me to stay home and raise my last two little ones and I’ve loved being able to do that.

4 Likes

I pay $100 just for a few hours 🥲

When I babysit I try to work with the parents on what their wages are. I was watching a 1 1/2 yr old and a almost 3yr old, 7:30am-2:30/3pm, sometimes I would be there til 5pm I charged $40 a day. If I was there 7:30-11:30 then $30 & if for some reason I was only there for an hour it would be $20 because of the cost of my gas.

3 Likes

Usually about $20. An hour.

4 Likes

When I watched kids at home it was $30 a day for one child, $45 for 2 and $60 for 3. That was 2 years ago.

2 Likes

I have 3 kids and pay $25-30 per hour for babysitting (like date nights, ect.) . When my middle was in Daycare it was $150 a week per kid for part time

I charge daycare prices. In my area that $4 / per kid, per hour.

3 Likes

We pay $100 a week ($20 a day) for 1 kid. 2 kids is $180. Includes all meals and snacks. Indiana

2 Likes

For me. I charge daily. Not by the hour. I charge $25 for infants to 1yr. And toddlers. $15. Yes I know infants is more. But if you really think about it. They can either get sick. Fall off the bed(only mine will, I never leave any other child that isn’t mine, unattended).

1 Like

I pay $20 an hour, plus a tip.

1 Like

I always say “how much would YOU (the mom) want to get paid if you were babysitting your kids”

this is so funny, So you expect someone to watch your 2 younger kids, I am guessing at least 36 hrs a wk, or more.!!! Are you given this person health benefits? Since you are so worried about the min wage bit . !!! Put your kids in day care :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I paid $50 a day for 2 kids under school age, for all day 12hrs
$250 each week plus snacks

Day care cost are different then babysitting…you need a baby sitter for something you need to do on your time…you are responsible for that cost.
It’s kinda rude to expect the other parent to occur the cost of whatever you need to get done on your time

I met a lady a few years back that charged $25 a day per kid.

I’m in the wrong line of work. Some people charge $25 an hour?!?! I don’t even make that much an hour lol. At that point I might as well quit working

The cost of Daycare varies greatly depending on where you live.
Also a private daycare Provider or Nanny that comes to your home is generally paid a lot higher then someone who is watching kids in their own home or daycare center and can have several families at once.

3 Likes

When I babysat my niece, M-F 8am-5pm I charged $150 a week. But this was also me taking care of my niece so I didn’t charge near as much as what the daycares wanted. I think I saved them just over half the cost of daycare.

10$ an hour per kid.

Not on topic but Non custodial parents can pay for an in home babysitter too if you start keeping a receipt book of what you pay her.

Depends on the time frame. If I get a sitter for my 2 for an hour or so ill usually pay $10/kid per hour. If I happen to need an over night sitter or an all day sitter usually a flat $100 which she always says that’s to much lol. Family friend though… Not a provider.

1 Like

This isn’t a baby sitter this is a nanny. Who would be paid $16/hr and up depending on where you live. If they need to drive their car they track miles. In my states your reimbursed 57cents a mile

2 Likes

Day Care and babysitter pay is a lot different. Babysitter is for an irregular/regular day out/night out and are usually paid pretty well for the convenience. I’d say 2 kids at a baby sitter fee for an amount of time under 5 hours, $50ish.

For full time day care hours in your own home I would say, $40/day $200/week for 2 kids. That sounds reasonable since you would be providing the food and utilities. There’s no extra costs to the one providing the service.

1 Like

10 dollars an hour per kid. You can request in court but he may not be ordered to pay it since it is the more expensive route. They may base it off of the average price of daycare in your area.

We always did $10 for one child and $5 each additional an hour.

1 Like

I sit from my home. I charge $20 a day. I also do overnight sitting for parents on second or third shift.

1 Like

We live in Ohio if that matters. Our “date night” babysitter we pay $10/hr (she asked for $8) for our three kids ages 18mo, 7yrs and 8yrs. We don’t expect anything of her expect making sure the kids are alive when we get back lol we make sure to order pizza or have them fed before she comes and she doesn’t have to bathe them or anything like that. During the days Monday-Friday I was quoted $3/hr by an a couple different inhome daycare providers. At that rate I had to provide diapers and meals. Additional children were +$2/hr. And it wasn’t a structured setting either, basically baby would just play and dance and do baby things. She was not responsible for learning activities. It really depends on where you live, what set up you’re looking for, how many hours, etc.

1 Like

Use your Child Support to pay for babysitters -

3 Likes

I charge $25/ kid each day.

I payed 10 a her per kid

Could always have the oldest look after them if you trust them enough and they are old enough to do it

Check with other parents in ur area with similar status.

1 Like

Last I paid daycare (2014) it was $10/hr or $40 for more than 6 hrs. I think… Open hours from 7am-4pm. But that was a daycare place and at the time state helped pay for it.

It depends by the day if they stay all wk is 25 to 30 for school age. But if ur not staying all week it’s hourly. Daycare charge whether they r there r not u still have to pay or they give the spot up. 20 dollars an hour for 3 kids. That’s what I pay in Charleston sc. Some charge even more if u have a baby or toddler. If ur paying them well then they won’t have a problem going that extra mile for things for ur children. I don’t low ball babysitters bc my children’s safety is in their hands. Also if they want to go to movies or water park I pay for that too admission , food , and gas. Also depends if u are providing the food . If ur not then send meals and snacks if not u have to pay more.

I pay $200 per week for my 2 and 3 year old.

I pay between $20-25 an hour if they come to my home. The daycare costs about $26 a day if you prorate the month so it’s about the same. Date nights and later evenings have a higher rate usually.

We paid our nanny $15/hr

I wouldn’t pay per child. I would just pay per hour.