How often should a 6-month-old eat?

What are your meal plans for your 6 month old? My son is currently eating 4-6 oz and baby food first at 10:30-11:00 and last 5:30-6:00pm. He goes to bed around 8-8:30 and wakes up between 3-4 am. I have fed him more at night but he still gets up :roll_eyes::pensive:

10 Likes

Their tiny bellies arent made to be crammed full with foods that little.
Most babies don’t sleep through the night until 1 or older.

5 Likes

My 5mo goes to bed between 930/10 and gets up between 6/7

This is common more so if baby is breastfed sometimes they feed just for comfort! Remember this phase only last so long

1 Like

Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone. You can’t force them to sleep longer when you’re ready.

But you also shouldn’t be filling babe up like that. Always give breastmilk/formula first, and then solids

4 Likes

My now 6 year old(7 in Sept) just started sleeping through the night maybe a year ago. She also sleep walks though.

My 4 month old however can go to bed at 10-11pm and not wake until 5am when we get up.

All babies are different. Some sleep through the night right away, others take years. Its stressful and I know it’s hard to enjoy it. But coming from a mom of both enjoy it while you can, they are only little for so long and need our comfort as long as possible. Before you know it’s mom can I go to such and suchs house, or I don’t wanna cuddle momma can I go play. Trust me, enjoy the time your babies need you :heartpulse:

1 Like

So with all this being said how do you get a breastfed baby to sleep longer at night? 4 month old almost 16 pounds and he still wakes up 2-3 times at night to eat and then is up around 6 to eat again. This momma just wants some sleep :cold_sweat:

My son is 4 months and his meal plan looks something like this (times are approximates, give or take an hour either way):
6:00 AM - 5 oz with 2 tsp rice
9:00 AM - 4 oz with 1.5 tsp rice and either banana puree or baby yogurt
12:00 PM - 5 oz with 2 tsp rice
3:00 PM - 4 oz with 1.5 tsp rice
5:30 PM - 4 oz with 2 tsp rice and a veggie puree (peas, green beans, or butternut squash)
8:00 PM - 5 oz with 2 tsp rice
He then gets a bath and goes to bed and sleeps through the night 95% of the time.

Please be aware though that my sons diet and the addition of solids this early is per his Dr. due to some eating and health issues we’ve had. All babies are different and will sleep through the night when they’re ready, there’s not a whole lot you can do to make it happen sooner. Stay strong momma!

1 Like

I did a BABY spoonful of baby rice/oatmeal in the bedtime bottle. :woman_shrugging:t3: Worked great with both of mine, still gained weight perfectly, and both have slept through since 3-4 months old.

4 Likes

do not give food in the middle of the night because he will learn to expect it

4 Likes

3 meals a day bottles and snacks cereal at bedtime and a bottle and bath . Still may wake up . How many naps is baby taking during the day ? Less sleeping during the day they sleep better at night

DO NOT GIVE CEREAL IN A BOTTLE :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: THATS OUTDATED INFORMATION… LOOK UP BLW. Baby puree food is NASTY

2 Likes

It’s normal for babies to wake atleast once during the night. They wake for reasons like gas, hungry, diaper change etc.

1 Like

It sounds like your baby is “sleeping through the night”. 7 hours is good for a 6mo old. Adjust your time so it is not a 3am wake up. I started my kids at midnight-6am. If your baby needs a nap put him down a little early and get him up after an hour. Just slowly adjust the time so it is more reasonable.

I’d give him a bottle at bedtime.

My daughter’s been sleeping through the night since she was Abt 2 months(she’s now almost 4 months). Gets her last bottle at Abt 930/10 MOST nights. Wakes up at Abt 230 for a diaper change(I have to wake her) and sleeps until Abt 6(when Dad gets up). Will take 2 oz then sleeps until I get up at 8. But that’s just how my daughter is.

Also you shouldn’t be giving her food and a bottle at every feeding like that. That’s too much at once for her little belly. Mix formula with rice every feeding sure. But only a couple of her feedings should be formula and food. And I’d give less formula at the times you give her food.

So my kiddos are all older but what i did was fed them dinner with everyone like always before bed we did oatmeal/or rice help get that belly good and full then warm bath and bottle if they will take like 4 oz and out they were until like 6am

My kids both slept thru at 6 weeks old my 9 month old eats 3 meals a day and 2 bottles

First formula or breastmilk should be the primary nutrition force until 1, so please make sure you’re giving them plenty. Also 6 hours a night is awesome for a 6month old. It’s hard I know, but some baby’s just sleep that long.

2 Likes

My boy is 6months and has porridge 9am lunch tin and fruit pot at 12 then 7oz at 3pm then dinner and pudding at 6 then 8oz at 9pm then 7oz 2am and 7oz 5am

My 6 month old still wakes up every 2 hours to eat at night. He will pound back 6oz every 2 hours.

He still eats every 2 hours during the day too. I try giving him some foods and yogurt but some days hes just not interested, so I don’t force him.

Your baby only gets 2 bottles a day…?

5 Likes

Formula/breast milk first.

And welcome to motherhood. Not all babies sleep through the night. My almost 3 year old still wakes up here and there but mostly has slept through the night since he was 1 and a half.
You can’t force your child to sleep through the night.

2 Likes

I babysit a baby around that age and he takes a bottle every 3hrs, and lunch with me after his bottle at noon. So a bottle at 7, 9, Noon, 3, 6pm. I think his mom gives him one around 9pm too and whenever he wakes up at night, if he does. He also eats solid foods after his breakfast, lunch and dinner bottles. You always give bottle first and let them top of with breastmilk/formula.

Cant help but giggle… I breast & bottle fed all 5 of mine. There’s no schedule. If they’re hungry fed them. If they eat more then you produce — supplement. Sometimes you have to switch to a bottle just to save your sanity, get some sleep and not feel like a milk dispenser. As long as baby is healthy and IS getting fed, then you’re doing good.:blush: As far as baby sleeping… some sleep more than others. Some start sleeping all night from day 1 and others might not sleep all night until they’re about 7y and then when they get to be teenagers it starts all over again. Lbvs. Take a rest, get a pump, store your milk up to use in a bottle for nite feedings or so someone else can help while you get some sleep. And if you want to keep breastfeeding… the more they take or you pump, the more you produce (most times) and the fuller they get. Oh yeah and remember whatever you eat and drink still goes thru their bmilk… so if you drink coffee at night or drink pop with caffeine in it… baby will stay awake.

2 Likes

Well that’s a pretty good stretch of sleep for a 6 month old

2 Likes

My 6m is still taking at least 4 or 5, 8oz bottles day with rice and baby food too. Along with an oz or 2 of water.
Sleeps through the night (and has for a while) somewhere between 6-10hrs. He doesnt wake for a bottle at night at all.

1 Like

My girl has a bottle at 7, 11, 4,7,10 she also has meals at 12, 3, and 6 or 7 and snacks. .shes 9 months old in a couple of days

Food before 1 is just for fun. You really shouldn’t be feeding food yet, just breastmilk or formula.

2 Likes

That’s actually awesome. My daughter turned 7 months yesterday and she goes to bed at 8 after a 6 oz bottle. Then gets up at 1145. Every night then again at 530. I just assume she will eventually sleep the whole night when shes ready. Doesn’t bother me we just get extra snuggles.

I always gave my son a bottle right before bed.

6 oz Bottles at 6am, 10 am, 1pm, 4pm, 8pm and one in the night. Meals at 7am, 12pm and 5pm and snacks in between. She still doesn’t sleep threw the night at 13 months old just like most babies. It’s normal.

She ate 3 meals and snacked in between and had a 6 oz bottle for bed. Always has slept thru the night

Start 3 times a day as long as he can get 24ozs of his formula or brst mlk

We exclusively breastfed until 6 months, then introduced solids. We fed him 1 oz a day until we made it through each food (we’ve been over-cautious due to my husbands family having so many food allergies). He’s 9 months now and we feed him 2 oz of fruit at lunch and 2 oz of veges at dinner.
As for at night, he’s slept through the night since 4 months. We also co-sleep. If he’s in his crib, he wakes up once. My dr advised that once he reached 12 lbs. (which was at his 2 month checkup) it wasn’t neccessary for him to eat throughout the night. It was okay if he did, but he didn’t have to. At that time he was eating twice a night, so i just slowly started trying to eliminate feedings by stretching the time frame out. Then i was eventually able to just rock him back to sleep when he woke up instead of feeding, and after a week or two that subsided as well and he didn’t wake anymore. He was just waking out of habit at that point.
Good luck mama!

That sounds about exactly how it went with my son lol. You could try feeding him baby food 3 times a day, when you eat

BM amd formula should still be the main source of nutrients.
At 6 months they’re still a baby. Most babies don’t sleep through the night. Welcome to parenting.

3 Likes

My 6 month old has never had food and has slept all night for months, my daughter was the same. We didn’t start even sampling food until 8 months with her and probably won’t with this baby either. Food doesn’t make babies sleep :unamused: some babies sleep well others don’t.

2 Likes

Give him rice cereal at night before bed. Wake him up…keep him drowsy by keeping the light off…and give him a bottle before you go to bed. Maybe put a little bit of cereal in this last bottle.

1 Like

My 6 month old drinks 7oz every 4 hours or so. He eats solids at least once a day and oatmeal/barley cereal once a day.

1 Like

He also sleeps from 8pm to 5am every night.

Try giving him just baby food around 5:30-6:00 and then give him his bottle with a little bit of oatmeal in it right before bed!

2 Likes

Rice cereal (not oatmeal)*

2 Likes

One meal a day is fine for kids that young and just starting to eat and you shouldn’t be trying to feed so much that they sleep all night, it just isn’t good for them to over feed. Most kids don’t sleep through the night no matter how much they eat, there are many reasons babies wake up and it’s ok if it’s cause they need to eat.

Babies still get up…lol

Sounds normal? My 11 month old just started sleeping 8 pm to 3 am we never did baby food though and did BLW with both kids started with soft mushy things like banana avocado steamed apples and carrots bread and noodles

Make his last meal with some oatmeal (not rice) cereal. It will keep him more full. Side note it does have nutritional value.

My daughter has slept through the night since 3mo when we started feeding her 6oz every 2/3 hrs. She eats at 7a/10/1p/4/7/10p. I give her half a jar of baby food at 1p and 10p

That’s actually pretty amazing for a 6month old, one time a night? After 7 straight hours of sleep? How much sleep do you need ?

2 Likes

Wait, your baby sleeps 6+ hours at night? What is the problem??

1 Like

He’s 6 months! He’s already sleeping better than most 6mth olds. Count your blessings. My youngest was up 4-5 times a night from 5mths until 18mths. And she ate very well.