How old were your kids when you left them home alone?

My daughter was about 10 1/2. She didn’t stay alone long, it was probably about a half an hour between when she got home from school and when my husband got home from work. She knew not to answer the phone or the door. One time a salesman rang the bell. She got kind of freaked out and called me. I stayed on the line with her. He left. It wasn’t a problem. I think that fear can be a big problem for some kids, so it might be a good idea to talk to your son about it.

My son is disabled so I’ve never been able to leave him alone. Every child is different.

My kids where 14 and 12 when I left them alone. I have a trust issue with my kids. And when I do let them alone. I am always calling or FaceTiming them

It does really depend on the kid. My daughter turned 11 this summer and going into 6th. She has stayed a few times for just a short period, maybe 2 hours at the most. I wouldn’t feel comfortable being at work all day and leaving here though.
But I stayed home with my younger brother when I was only in 5th grade because my mom worked 2-3 jobs. But different times.

I would leave my kids alone for 4-5 hours at that age, but I was lucky enough to have retired people in another unit on the same property, in both houses on either side of me and across the street, so there was always a neighbor or several home nearby in case of emergency. Luckily the kids never had to bother them.

Mine is 11 and I leave him home for a couple hours. Doors locked,alarm is on dog is with him and he has to have a charged phone and answer when I call

if he is 11 he probaly sleeps in,and if he mature enough then go for it

Really depends on the child’s maturity level, if you can trust them, what you feel comfortable with, if your child feels comfortable with it, and your state’s laws. It’s a big step, and you should do what it best for your family. Hope everything works out for the best for you. :blush:

If he is responsible and in a safe area he is old enough but some states have a twelve year old stipulation

My oldest is going to be 12 in September and I leave her at hone sometimes. You really need to go by the maturity level though. I was babysitting my brother at 10 and for other peoples kids at 11. I just make sure she has all the emergency numbers needed and we have rules set.

Maybe start a trial run by going to the store or to grab something to eat, see how he’s doing. Also do you have a close neighbor that you’d feel comfortable letting know he’s home alone and they can keep an eye out/be a close emergency person? By the time I was 16, my parents could go out of town for the weekend and leave me with my 8 year old brother.

I let my daugjter at 11 stay home for a couple hours and called frequently to check in honestly it depends on ur kid can u trust him on that level that he will stay inside dont amswer door n not burn down the house? I can trust my daughter on that aspect shes 13 now and so far so good i can give a few chores to do wile gone and they are done she knows she cant go outside wile im gone amd doesnt answer the door and can only use microwave n to put nothing aluminum inside it

To help your peace of mind put in a couple of cameras. There are some that have speakers in them and you can talk from. It’s not to spy. It’s peace of mind.

My daughter was 10 for 1.5 hours after school on a street where everyone knew each other by first name, in a very safe neighborhood.
Every person’s situation is different, as is their environment. Listen to your gut, mom :blush:

My 12 year old step daughter failed miserably when we tried home alone. Lord love her she just wasnt mature enough to handle it and thats ok. My best advice is trust your gut and go by how responsible and mature your child is

My son is only 13 months so we’re not there yet but I was left to stay home alone at 8 years old. :woman_shrugging:t3: I think it depends on the kid…

Depends on laws and how mature your kid is. Me and my 2 brothers got off the bus walked to our house, and disarmed the alarm and reset it once we were in at 7 and 8. We knew not to mess around though. Im 31 btw so this was like the mid 90s.

I believe he is old enough just the rules in place for him as to what he can and cannot do and call him periodically to check on him