How should I handle this situation with my friend?

It’s definitely not just a patterned outfit those patters have meening!

9 Likes

As an African I give you permission. Here is your stamp of approval

8 Likes

Leave it alone, why make a comment like that anyway. Mind your business.

8 Likes

First you should of been outraged when the Democrats dressed in African slave owners color at the Capitol. If you where not be quiet like when the Democrats insulted the USA.

7 Likes

I do this funny thing and it really works out for me, I mind my own business— I’ve never even been in a fight!! Crazy huh.

8 Likes

Jesus… why is it so difficult to be respectful to the cultures of others?? Many have had their cultures stripped from them, been punished and/or killed for practicing or teaching their cultures, etc. Be a decent human being and stop disrespecting things you are not a part of!!!

11 Likes

Just cause I literally don’t get why she can’t just wear a costume lol. If an African little girl wanted to dress up as frozen would she have to get ahold of a white girl to get a blessing to dress white!? Lol it’s just a family costume who cares!!! Lol if you wanna dress up for some fun family times on Halloween I don’t understand why everyone gets so upset over upsetting other cultures that prob don’t care in the first place lol

10 Likes

It’s not offensive to dress like other cultures. Some of us see it as embracing a culture. It’s Halloween grow up, and dress up.

If my white child wanted to dress up as Aunt Jamima who cares.

White kids are dressing up as blank panther. Black kids can dress up as Anna or Cinderella. Stop making it about color and let them have fun.
Stop making everything politically correct.

15 Likes

A lot of people are comparing things like dressing as black panther or a disney princess , or a girl dressing as a male character as if they are comparable issues to someones culture being turned into a costume for the novelty of a holiday celebration. It absolutely is disrespectful and needs to be addressed. The more people who dont speak out on this make it harder for people to live in this world without being degraded. “Mind your business” is translating to “i dont want to be self aware of my disrespectful actions, and im choosing to neglect any information or opinions that do not correlate with my disrespect.”

13 Likes

They’re dressing up based on a favorite Disney movie. Not as an African

5 Likes

Everyone is saying mind your business but these are costumes she wants to put your kids in. If you are unsure just say pass and raincheck for next year.

6 Likes

As someone who’s culture is mocked by “costumes” as “Indians, squaws, Indian princess” and all that fckn bullshit, thank you for not being totally and inconsiderably ignorant to our CULTURE!!
It’s flipping annoying

The phrase, what is the world coming to scares me. We must all learn to imbrace each other as humans. End suffering, war, political differences and hate. We are killing each other and what sustains us. Our planet. Our children are brought up to look at people differently if there not like them. Hate is passed down through generations.

surely you jest snowflake

6 Likes

You already gave her your advice. What else do you think you need to take upon yourself to do?

4 Likes

It’s her theme, she can do as she pleases…there’s nothing you can do and why would you. it’s her theme, not yours.

5 Likes

I think people need to stop being offended over everything.

15 Likes

Give it a rest there snowflake.

15 Likes

If you are worried about it, why not let her do her theme and allow your kids to pick their own costumes. I never understood when people pick the costume for the kids, they are little once, let THEM pick.

5 Likes

Mind your own business???

7 Likes

Animals that’s what they should be

2 Likes

I agree with you, it’s cultural appropriation! the best thing you can do is try to educate her on why… if she responds like most of the people in this group then she’s ignorant af. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

She is dressing up as disney characters, not oppressing a culture. Mind your business.

9 Likes

Everyone telling OP to mind their business, obviously missed the little part where the friend presented this costume idea for BOTH their kids. So I’d imagine OPs kids ARE OPs business. :woman_shrugging:t4: How are they a “snowflake” for wanting to be respectful. :thinking: Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. :roll_eyes:

Unless they are representing the animals of the Lion King, no one will understand what they are :joy:. You said what you said, I’d leave it be now. If it upsets you, maybe write it down and then burn it. Move on.

5 Likes

The lion king is all animals . Where does the african print come in ? Now if she was trying to recreate an outfit of 1 of the wakanda tribes that would be different . You can’t please everyone just do what makes the kids happy

3 Likes

It’s Halloween. Let her do as she pleases. Jeesh🤢

I agree with the friend. I refuse to live my life in fear of “offending” someone’s Liberal Left Snowflake feelings.

12 Likes

Mind your own business, it’s a costume if people offended that’s their problem.

6 Likes

She’s already closed off to the insight you’ve given her. There’s nothing further you can do. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make them drink sorta thing.

4 Likes

Dont do the costumes with her.

1 Like

You should stop being so sensitive and stop pandering to other sensitive low iq people.

4 Likes

You only live once, and life’s too short not to get out of your comfort zone every now and then, and look at the memories you will be making with those gorgeous children

You’re basically taking the same stance as those saying that a child who is not Polynesian should not be Moana… it’s Halloween, let the kids enjoy themselves and move on

8 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from and being aware of your privilege and I think your thought is coming from a more aware place than most people can muster. You made your point and it’s going to be up to them what to do. I maybe wouldn’t go trick or treating with them. But maybe they’ll just go to clueless white neighborhoods anyway and no one will think anything of it :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s not even march yet and you stressed over Halloween costumes :sob::sob::neutral_face:
Let’s get through Easter and mother’s day first ok😕

5 Likes

All I want to say is there is a lot of hateful comments on here. I am majority white and I feel this post. Jump at me if you may but I have friends and people I care about and the last thing I would want to do is offend someone of a different culture. It’s not about dressing “African” or even Disney/lion king. It’s about how and where the costume IS going to overlap with others’ culture and she as a good friend and probably human being and is just trying to make sure no accidental unintentional mistake is made that coulddd offend someone. And say what you will. IMO anyone can be offended over their personal heritage /culture/upbringing. We are all human and we are all entitled to our feelings. It’s our actions that should be “judged” and that’s why she is trying to make sure her friend doesn’t make an ignorant mistake. Because I’m damn sure you would all be the same ones condemning her and being “ offended for the African culture”
Lay off this girl. Thank you for looking out❤️

Cultural appropriation

So you do the research

I think it’s disrespectful that stores make fun of natives!

3 Likes

You are just trying to separate the flyshit from the pepper.

2 Likes

It is not just a patterned outfit. Different patterns means different things in different tribes

7 Likes

If we all lived our lives not doing anything that offend someone no one would do anything. No one is responsible for your feelings and if someone is dressed up in an outfit to represent something or someone it’s probably because they like it and are not being hateful. And the whole ask permission to another person when you’re an adult, ya no that’s probably where she got mad. Plus you can’t expect everyone from the same “group” to have the same answer so that would be completely pointless. I truly believe if you want to save your friendship you’re going to have to apologize, mean it and seriously think about how you think it’s okay to try to force someone else to live in fear… no one can please everyone.

16 Likes

As someone who is black, just stop. You are virtue signaling and we don’t need that
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DRESSING UP IN A ANOTHER CULTURES CLOTHES FOR HALLOWEEN. YOU DONT NEED ANYONE PERMISSION. YOU DONT NEED TO ASK US IF ITS OKAY. Just have fun.

32 Likes

Not be so pressed about a Halloween costume.

4 Likes

You already did all you can do by raising awareness. She’s an adult and can decide how she wants to handle it from here on out. That’s on her not you!

3 Likes

Holy christ the amount of white guilt is amazing…just leave that family be and let them enjoy a holiday made for dressing up and having fun.

13 Likes

I’m sorry but this is so ridiculous :rofl::rofl:

17 Likes

It’s not like she’s doing it with bad intentions. It’s a Halloween costume, not putting a flag in her yard to support/disrespect a culture/community. The people who matter to you and your families will know it’s with good intentions. And if they throw a fit, you/she can kindly remind them that there are much bigger things going on to be worried about than a mother’s good intentions for her Disney Family.

2 Likes

You should lose your racist friend.

15 Likes

If you don’t like the idea, do your own thing this year for Halloween. They are costumes for a reason……

1 Like

I don’t see the harm and I’m not racist I have mixed raced children but if you don’t like u could always do your own

The last time I checked, being a lion, a baboon or a bird didn’t disrespect anyone. I don’t recall anyone in The Lion King wearing clothes, but carry on…

*this isn’t my family. Found on google🖤

15 Likes

Don’t over think it. Its for children. I’m pretty sure anyone that sees them won’t know if a certain pattern means anything at all.

3 Likes

Geez it’s Halloween :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Mind your own business

3 Likes

I say bull shit if some one is offended they are the one with a problem

Why does everything have to be about race? I can’t stand the world we live in today.

Why can’t an outfit just be an outfit?

13 Likes

Wow! You are extra…:joy:

6 Likes

Why do people always have to try and find something to be offended by??? People are to busy being offended everyone has stopped laughing and having fun. Just relax and have some fun it’s Halloween :jack_o_lantern:

5 Likes

Political Correctness is a mental disease.

5 Likes

This is what the world has come to….everyone is always worried about offending someone for something that would never have been considered an issue previously.

7 Likes

Are you for real? If your scared it’ll be racist, go ask a lion family and a monkey :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

So nothing. It’s on her if she screws up. You tried!

This is a genuine concern and I love that you are so considerate. I don’t see why she would be using any other pattern than maybe animal print.

3 Likes

Mind your business and let her do her thing.

What in the world did I just read :woman_facepalming:t3:

Being your friend must be exausting…

6 Likes

Seeking attention ?
Stop creating a drama that isn’t even there ffs

3 Likes

Oh gosh really :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Fkn hate Disney adults. IDC what you do, just wanted to say that.

11 Likes

It’s a Halloween costume…. Jesus

2 Likes

Equality is not anything in your systent at all. Everyone can make any costume they want. Being paranoid and overly concerned is not being culturally sensative at all.

4 Likes

It’s just a costume!

3 Likes

Woke… trying to turn it into something it’s not

8 Likes

Nothing!! You are making a mountain out of a mole hill… lord just leave it be!

5 Likes

Well since it’s literally probably a lion costume then I don’t see any problem it’s a costume now if they were dressing as someone from Africa that would be different so my opinion is you need to stay out of it and let them be

try minding your buisness and let her do things her way

5 Likes

I would love an African person to response.

2 Likes

You went way over the top - it’s a costume, not a cultural event

6 Likes

Just make the costumes!!! What the Hell!!!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I think you’re absolutely right. There’s a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. And the yt people in the comments eye rolling you, lmao typical :rofl:

10 Likes

It’s time everyperson from every culture or race to be happy someone likes there culture and flattered

6 Likes

I’m with You, follow Your gut. If they find it disrespectful it could blow up…find a fun costume and enjoy :wink:

1 Like

Not your circus, not your monkeys. Be concerned with your own patterns.

9 Likes

I find it sad how frowned upon it is to want to be respectful. It takes nothing from us to be considerate of other people’s culture, religion, etc. We live in such a selfish and heartless world.

6 Likes

Everybody needs to quit being so damn offended good God :roll_eyes:

First of all I never knew anyone who thought this hard about Halloween costumes in February. Lol!!!

8 Likes

It’s a Halloween costume leave it be.

4 Likes

It’s just a costume
That can be brought from many costume shop
They would all be mass produced

1 Like

The ignorance in the comments Danielle Boyle

3 Likes

Just like the cinco de mayo sombero costumes and Indian costumes. Some cultures are offended over everytihng

1 Like

I"m a african american women and this would not offend me. Actually I believe her ideal is very creative. The only thing that would be offensive if she painted her kids face black. Other then that this idea that she wants to creative is perfectly fine.

18 Likes

All the people saying oh you cant please everyone someone will always be offended so why bother is like saying why should i wash my feet theyre just going to get dirty anyways. You do it because its proper. Just like you respecting other peoples culture is proper. Come on adults, think like adults please. All these “snowflake” comments from nothing but snow yt people. Smh

3 Likes

Is not your friend responsibility to worry about other people’s happiness and if a Halloween costume is going to offend them they need to re-evaluate their life

7 Likes

I might be wrong but I’ve never seen anyone get upset over fabric patterns.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it and let her do her.

3 Likes

Honestly who cares?!??!

3 Likes

Yet going as a serial killer is perfectly acceptable for some but oh no someone might wear African fabric and offend someone? :joy::joy::joy: How does that make sense?

4 Likes

Some people have to much time on their hands to be offended about everything. If she not doing it with bad intentions then I don’t see a problem. It’s just a pattern it not like she’s painting her face or something to that extent. You can talk to her about it if she’s your friend but don’t burst her bubble

3 Likes