How to be a surrogate?

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone might be able to help me. I am currently going with a surrogacy agency to help change someone’s life by carrying their baby. The agency that I am working with states on their website that you cannot be on any kind of government assistance. Although, when I spoke to the agency, she told me that it wasn’t an issue. I am on Section 8 and calfresh. Everywhere that I read says it is not allowed. I really want to help someone by being a surrogate, but I also don’t want to be scammed either. Okay so my real question is, has anyone ever went through surrogacy while on government assistance or know someone who has? I know it will affect my benefits, which I’m not really worried about. Just really wanted some advice on the topic. Thank you in advance!!

65 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to be a surrogate?p

I know someone who wants a baby and can’t have one but they don’t have the money for it :frowning:

3 Likes

Most agencies do not allow any kind of government assistance at all bc they want to be sure that the surrogacy is truly something you want to do and not truly something you NEED to do for the income. Surrogacy is super complicated and a very long process for sure.

22 Likes

That’s ridiculous. I hate how many ways the discriminate against us poor folks. I feel like a psyche eval to make sure your are ready for the emotional Rollercoaster is more fitting then income requirements

19 Likes

Dawn Fox my neice and her husband may know more they are looking for a surrogate mother

2 Likes

Why can’t you be on government assistance ?

First just let me say
Good on you sweetie
For giving a family the ultimate gift
You are a beautiful lady, with a beautiful soul

I’m sorry I can’t offer you any advice
But I can give you so much loveand respect

2 Likes

Not to be an a** or anything but people who can’t have babies shouldn’t be so picky

12 Likes

Good luck with your journey me and my husband have been looking for a surrogate for almost three years but don’t use agencies for many reasons and we have been the ones scammed. But you can protect yourself

2 Likes

I’ll be that Bitch… You obviously want the income that comes with surrogacy or you would simply help someone FOR FREE. There are several comments under this post asking for “the life changing help” you are claiming to want to provide. So there you go. No agency… They seem to not care that you are ‘low income’… SO ISN’T THAT THE EXACT ANSWER TO YOUR POST?

Why can’t you be on government assistance though?!

My surrogate daughter was born in 1990 and we basically did everything on our own. We did have a lawyer to write up the contract and she made me a grandmother and we’ve all had a relationship her entire life to this day :grinning:.

8 Likes

Why would it have anything to do with being on benefits. I feel like that’s a load of shit. You don’t have to have loads of money to have a baby for some one else. So what does it matter if your on food stamps or Medicaid or anything else for that matter when the family your carrying the baby for had to pay for all that any ways?

I wish you well on this journey!! I so wish I could do surrogacy but unfortunately my son was a c section so I’m disqualified :disappointed:

2 Likes

Get a job, get off assistance then do it.

24 Likes

We are looking for a surrogate, idc if your on govt assistance or no

7 Likes

I’m not on any assistance, but I was a surrogate, he will be 3 in January. They never checked, and there really is no way for it to affect you unless you claim it. It’s all about how you word it in your contract. Obviously the parents would have to pay for an insurance plan for you or pay cash for everything.

2 Likes

To give the gift of life is amazing :heart: I loved being pregnant with my babies and would love to gift that to others but yes the hoops to jump through are ridiculous! Adoption is also a very hard and expensive thing as well children need families and families whom want children should be able to have them :heart: good luck on your journey :heart:

2 Likes

From what I heard from a old neighbour who is a surrogate you don’t get paid to be one in Canada thats only in the US

3 Likes

So, I am currently pregnant with a surrogate baby.
They don’t want you to be on any kind of government assistance because it can affect the IPs ability to gain parentage of their child. It could look like they are trying to buy the baby/you are attempting to sell the baby.

5 Likes

I feel like this is more to do w state assistance than the agency- to qualify for government assistance you have to be within certain income limits- depending on the surrogacy agency, how would you claim this in taxes? How do you count it as income? They may have this requirement to cut out any confusion or legal matters etc

2 Likes

That was something I wanted to do but kept seeing that surrogates couldn’t be on government assistance which I thought was ridiculous why does it matter. Just cuz were on assistance doesn’t mean we don’t want to try and help a family in need trying to have a baby. I never understood that and it’s disheartening that they disinclude those who recieve help for themselves from the government and penalize them for it by not allowing them to do something careless for another family.

4 Likes

IF YOU HAVE MEDICAID you can not use Medicaid or your county health department for prenatal care and delivery. You can not have government assistance like WIC or recieving additional food Stamps because your pregnant .
You have to Cancel Medicaid and get private insurance.
This is because you are In a
CONTRACTUAL PREGNANCY
you have signed a Contract and agreed to become purposely impregnated to benefit another party

5 Likes

WOW! I never ever even knew money was involved with surrogacy. I honestly thought people did it out of the goodness of their hearts.
I am so behind in life :sob:

6 Likes

I’d love to be a surrogate for someone given they had the eggs and sperm to use. I had my tubes removed after my last baby because we don’t want anymore babiesss🫠

Hi! Surrogate here as well :hugs: to my understanding the reason they say you can’t be on any assistance is because once you start getting your portions you will lose all of your assistance and it’s not a permanent income. They are just looking out for you in the long run. But that doesn’t mean you can’t just reapply after your surrogacy, you can. Not sure if that’s helpful! Good luck on your journey :heart:

6 Likes

You could do it privately for people with a lawyer to draw up documents, get 1/2 the $ upfront with the balance held in escrow with the lawyer so you are sure to get paid.

5 Likes

From what I understand what you believe is correct. I’d look into other agencies before committing to this one. Something doesn’t seem right

Whatever your journey and if you are doing this to bless someone then all I can say is GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVORS.

2 Likes

I just got paid $6504 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 13468 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob92.pages.dev/

Maybe why she is doing it…I’m super mad at humanity

I just got paid $6504 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 13468 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob122.pages.dev/

I was under the impression it was any assistance related to the baby. So you couldnt get WIC or request a higher EBT for being pregnant.

2 Likes

Yall ppl get money all the time and lots of it. A lot of under the table help if you just go through lawer and the adoptive parents. I almost put my second baby up for adoption because my grandparents really pushed the meet up, the adoptive parents wanted to give me 10,000 plus a home and they were going to write a check for all of my debt to the state/cover doctor bills/ food/new bed … all under table no adoption agency just one Lawer. I didn’t go through with it I got scared and they were great people. The lady had red hair just like mine and reminded me of my mom before she passed. And the man loved his dog a lot. But I couldn’t bring my self to give up a baby especially receive so much gifts for doing so it felt wrong.

I’ve also had people tell me that under the table adoptions are not the most legal thing. BUT idk :woman_shrugging: they did seem great tho

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I’m the one who asked this question. I do want to clear a few things up. Yes, I am currently employed and not just relying on government assistance. I am not just doing it for money. I actually have been looking for a couple in need of a surrogate to help on my own but from what I was told, that is extremely hard to do. Not only is there ALOT of legal stuff, but there’s so much more complicated steps to jump through than through an agency. Also, I spoke to another agency which said this “It’s not that government assistance will disqualify you necessary, it’s that you will need to be okay with reporting the income and losing your assistance since its a requirement to report it.” Like I said, that’s not the biggest concern for me since this is something I know I want to do. I asked them if I could just do it for free (so I won’t lose my housing), but they told me that with all the legal stuff it’s not something they would allow. I could outsource though and try to find someone in need on my own but there’s always the issue I mentioned above.

I just got paid $9314 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 13771 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob206.pages.dev/

1 Like

You have what you have due to your limited income. Being a surrogate is a beautiful thing & gift for someone else. But you will get paid for your services. So that means your income will increase, even if it’s just a one time payment. So either you can be quiet about it, but they, the surrogate agency just might just you a check with taxes being taken out or maybe they won’t. Or you can inform whatever agency is given you your Section 8 & that other thing you are receiving. But if you are caught you will be paying every cent back. Your choice. Also if you do this privately, you still will receive a check, most likely no taxes will be taken out. But again if you are caught, you will have to pay it back. But you also might not be. Now you say why should you have to pay back what you received for your services. That is not what you are paying back. You will have to pay back what the government gave in benefits…which in the end will be what you got as being as surrogate