How to clear a clogged duct?

I drank a beer lol and it helped…

1 Like

Same I ended up letting mine dry up with cabbage leaves I couldn’t…my baby girl refused to nurse from one side and pumping helped some but the more you pump the more you produce and the harder and tighter your breast gets esp with a blocked duct…I tried heat…showers…self massages and had my spouse do massages tried hand expressing and nothing helped I didn’t get relief until after I used cabbage leaves and dried myself up…but mastitis is what I was afraid of and with a 7 month old and 3 older kids I didn’t want to keep getting blocked ducts and risking getting mastitis and worse infection…and being in more pain if I’m not my best it’s hard to be the best I can for 4 kids so I decided to dry my milk supply…I expressed a good bit and I alternated between breast and formula using alil less breast milk each day so the transition was easy and not so rough on her belly to just switch it all. But I tried soaking in Epsom salt but I think the saltiness stuck to my nipples my baby girl refused the nipple afterwards…even if I took a washcloth and wiped really well she still didn’t go for it so the smell or taste made it unable to use for relief but epsom salt in a warm bath or even in the shower was the only thing that I got instant long lasting relief…and peppermint tea…there is a sweet peppermint tea and alittle sugar…idk but certain tea I prefer sugar over honey but it helped with some of the inflammation…but iv been told it can happen alot and to change position of the baby when feeding but iv never had issue with my prior 3 babies…but my last I just kept getting a blocked duct on the same side…make sure you see your doctor to make sure it isn’t mastitis…I went 4 different times fearing it was but it wasn’t but it’s better to be safe then sorry esp trying to nurse…good luck and hope you feel better …I know it’s physically and mentally rough when your nursing and in pain…it can get discouraging and overwhelming and can make you feel defeated or less then at times…it’s ok just get seen and I hope you feel better…good luck

Unfortunately you’ll need to continue to nurse ,your baby is the one whom will clear that duct and help you if you have an impending infection. As these problems occur your infant can detect them and can alter your milk. Your baby’s saliva transfers chemicals to a mother’s body that causes breastmilk to adjust to meet the changing needs of your baby and mother.Breastmilk can also change when your baby is sick or you are exposed to illness. In fact, researchers believe that when a baby is sick, she passes on a cue through her saliva that sends a signal to her mother’s body to produce antibioties.

1 Like

Warm cloth, massage, nurse.

Hot shower, massage in the shower

1 Like

Hot shower and kinda make sure it’s hitting the area and squeeze lightly to relieve. Hurts like nothing else lol but after you will feel so much better. Don’t use cabbage leaves UNLESS you’re trying to dry up!!! But warm or cold compress and lightly massaging the clog out. Good luck been there, done that.

1 Like

Hot shower , massage and pump on a high setting

Take sunflower lecithin and ibuprofen. The sunflower gets the fats moving easier and milk clogs are essentially fat buildup. Ibuprofen for inflammation. Also ice for inflammation. Keep massaging while you pump/feed. Try something that vibrates like a personal massager or even electric toothbrush (opposite side of the bristles)

Put a clean nappy in freezer once frozen put that on the side you have issues with

Warm compress, massaging, repeat

Heat! When I had one it hurt so bad, but I would get in the shower as hot as I could and stood in there with my breast under the water and massaged it. It took a couple days, but with that and having hubby try to suck it out after a hot shower it could give you relief.

Have your significant other suck it out.

So I’ve only had a clogged duct once. I tried EVERYTHING to get it cleared and nothing worked. Then while I was in the shower I literally looked directly at my nipple and I saw this tiny white spec. I picked it out and sure shit it was the clog :expressionless: not a single website I found suggested looking to see if you can pick the clog out yourself. I was upset I suffered for so long before finding such a simple solution 🥲

I had that problem as well and I was told to take a facecloth and run it under warm water and place it on the breast in question, for about 5 minutes, then massage it gently. Try to get milk flowing first before you try feeding again. Good Luck.

Warm teabags, apply rubbing pressure and have hubby or baby latch and drink.

Also pumping 10 to 1 hand pumps before bad after feeling has helped me

I got them a lot with my last

1 Like

It could be mastitis, if you can’t get it to go away, and is that painful you should get in with your OB right away, it may require antibiotics

1 Like

Hot shower, heating pad on that spot while pumping, and lightly massage that spot towards the nipple… it really helps. Good luck! Tylenol for pain.

Dangle feeding clears ducts

What helped me was taking a really hot shower and trying to squeeze out as much as I could or massage

Warm shower, try dangle feeding. Pumping. Massage. Warm washcloth.

Hot shower, massage, pump… If its really bad, doctor