How to cope with PTSD while pregnant?

Hello, I would like to ask if there are any mum’s struggling with PTSD, especially while pregnant. This is my second pregnancy, and I have noticed my PTSD symptoms have gotten worse as the pregnancy is going on. I am under a lot of stress at the moment and would love to hear of ways that can help me cope with this. I have barely needed help over the last few years, but this has come back so intensely, and I feel like people just don’t understand what I’m going through. I’m so excited and happy to be having this baby, but I find it very difficult to be happy about much else at the moment.

8 Likes

You should seek the help of a therapist that specializes in trauma and PTSD. Your symptoms can be managed and you can get to feeling much better with the right tools, but you need the help of a professional.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to cope with PTSD while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

Try not to entertain intrusive thoughts. Minimize your stressors or those you can.

1 Like

I have been trying to cope :woman_facepalming:t5::pensive:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to cope with PTSD while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

It helped me to make self care apart of my environment. Most importantly notes to self on mirrors. Just sayings that remind me to center my self help a lot. The big part of our recovery is emotional intelligence, identifying that the emotions we feel are valid. But don’t always fit the situation. Breathe and wash the bad gugu away in the shower.if it was a bad day it’s OK. Tomorrow is another opportunity for a better day, Where you have more experience then yesterday.

1 Like

Prayers ongoing for you :pray:

There are so many things involved with pregnancy that could enhance PTSD. Hormones, several types of fears and anxieties - not all anxieties come from fears. It could be a need to plan, organize and get some control. Which is very hard to do when pregnant and your body is always changing.
Meditation could be helpful. It is hard for me but I find even just 5-10 minutes of outside time, remembering to breath helps calm my mind enough to do that 1 next task.

Have you looked into CBD isolate? Its helped me with the anxiety that comes with PTSD, also, journaling and meditation.

So on my third pregnancy and not only am pregnant but moved 1900 miles from the only place I’ve ever lived. I would sit down and talk with your partner and let them know how you are feeling. I have to keep telling myself it is in my head and it isn’t the same anymore.

Following. I’m going through the same thing and it’s been very, very difficult.

Yes therapy & maybe try yoga or meditation

Please have no more babies .

EMDR therapy. It’s specifically designed for PTSD. Started for combat veterans but has been found to be very effective for all trauma related PTSD. Talk to the therapist first though as it can increase stress, especially in the beginning. Speaking from personal experience.

4 Likes