How to explain periods to a 5-year-old?

I’ve been on Birth control for a little over 3 years. The first 2 years I didn’t get my menstrual cycle and about 3 months ago I started getting it. I got it yesterday and it’s really heavy so I use a tampon and a pad so it won’t leak through. I was changing in the restroom and my 5 year old walks in and sees blood on the pad and freaked out! It was a little funny for me, but I can only imagine traumatizing for her. How do I explain this to her? She’s only five and after being a parent for almost 11 years I never thought about this scenario and what to say!!

170 Likes

Don’t worry my 5 year old daughter told everyone momma’s bleeding from the butt :laughing::joy: :laughing: she doesn’t understand !

I literally have told my kiddos from very early the reasons why we menstruate.
Biology isnt a secret to them. My uterus sheds a lining each month…

10 Likes

Tell her the truth…when women go through puberty they will get a menstrual cycle…

Boy or girl? For a boy and keep in mind the age, just assure him you’re ok, but this is something that happens to mommy’s and for a girl explain that you’re ok and again something all girls and women go through eventually and validate her feelings but assure her you’re ok.

1 Like

I just told my girls that I bleed every month and when they are grown ups they will bleed every month too. It is hard to know what to say though lol

1 Like

Just tell her like it is. My girls have known about periods since they were 2yo and with both of them I was on depo and didn’t have one. I told them it’s so that when girls become grown-ups it allows us to be able to get pregnant and have babies. No need to hide anything about it.

Tell her exactly what it is and that it’s totally natural. I’ve had to with both my boys. It’s normal and OK to talk about.

1 Like

The truth …boy or girl …woman get their period

1 Like

I talked to my oldest about it when they were 5 because all of the uterus having people in my family started between 7 and 9 years old.
I just gave a basic explanation that for people that have uteruses, at a certain age, that monthly their body basically cleans itself out and that it is caused by something called the uterine lining shedding. I explained that while it tends to be painful it is not harmful or dangerous and that it is completely healthy and safe.
And then from there I just gave an open floor for them to ask questions, because the best way to know what a child is ready to learn is by them asking questions.

I personally feel it’s best to avoid saying that it is something that happens to grown ups or its when girls become women or anything along those lines because children do get periods and they don’t need to think that getting one means they are an adult, and especially don’t need to think it means they are ready for the adult activities that go along with a period (such as pregnancy)

4 Likes

I have zero issue talking about periods. I remember my mom telling me super young when I seen her in the bathroom. I asked if it hurt, she said no and we moved on. Nbd

1 Like

I just told my kids that every few weeks women bleed if they aren’t pregnant. They didn’t ask anything else. The littlest are 4-5-5 :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Tell her the truth, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. My four year old knows about periods, mostly because of the same exact situation. If they are old enough to ask me, I’m going to tell them the truth in an age appropriate way.

You dont have to tell kids every damn thing. Just wait til it’s time.

I told her all of what’s going on! She’s five too. I don’t keep any part of it from her, she knows about cramps, and the headaches, and even the period shits. :joy::joy:

Just explain that our uterus builds a soft place for a baby but the egg doesn’t always turn into a baby. When it doesn’t the blood comes out so it can make a new soft bed each month. No need to explain sex yet. My son is 7 and knows about eggs and sperm but hasn’t questioned how the sperm gets there yet. Answer any other questions as they come up.

Start explaining it early really eases the trauma. Its scary for every woman the first couple times let alone a kiddo seeing :sweat_smile: Just tell them how it works and what happens, trust me, the trauma subsides and they are understanding. I have 6 kiddos, and at leat 4 of them have walked in on me​:woman_facepalming: So I just explained what happens to every woman and they are totally comfortable now. They also don’t walk in on me anymore :pray::sweat_smile:

I have two boys who are 9 and 6. When they started noticing me going potty more often and asking questions about pregnancy I was totally honest with my answer. They may not totally understand it still but they somewhat get it and that’s fine. I think it’s good for them to know early on that way (in my case) that can learn to be understanding of mood swings/cravings and any other symptoms of why mommy is acting the way she is. :sweat_smile: I think the more honest the better. Especially because girls go through puberty much sooner than boys do and a lot of times start their periods sooner as well.

1 Like

Just say you will understand when you get older. If she needs any more information just be calm.

I’ve just been honest with my 4 and 8 yr old boys in a way that they understood,

1 Like

I just tell my kids that it’s my period and that it doesn’t hurt and they usually say okay and that’s it lol

2 Likes

As you would explain to someone your own age but in a more subtle way of course, that’s how i did it with my nephews and nieces and now with my 5year-old daughter!!

1 Like

Just tell her the truth. Every woman has a period every month starting at a certain age. Your belly prepares for a baby, but when there’s no baby in there, there’s no reason to have the blood. So it comes out the same spot babies come out if

Huh thank goodness for friends all my Mother said was "you’ll have to be more careful with boys now! sex lesson over x

1 Like

My daughters have known about periods since they were little. My twins were prepared and when theirs finally came it was not a shock. My 9 year old is prepared. She knows what to look for and knows it’s ok, so if she sees it do not be scared, instead it’s time to celebrate this big milestone :slightly_smiling_face: the more you talk the less scary it is. Good luck!

So you have an 11 yrold you haven’t explained it to either? Boy or girl they both need to understand.

2 Likes

Tell her it’s natural and part of life and every woman goes through it

1 Like

that parent group (with Cath Hakanson) has some great resources to explain

that parent group (with Cath Hakanson) has some great resources to explain.
Also anatomy books for kids on amazon are awesome. Kids need to understand their bodies (and bodies of the opposite gender as well)

1 Like

I don’t get my period every month but this month I did and my daughter just got potty trained so when I was in the bathroom she had to go and she saw blood and was like oh no mommy you have a boo boo and I just was unsure of what to say and some of these answers are perfect

My 4y old knows about periods.
Just tell her that women bleed from their vagina every month. All women go through it. It is nothing to be scared about.

I told my boys mommy gets sick every month, it’s normal for women and girls at certain ages and they understand enough to not be scared. They never found something of mine, just wondered why their dad cared more for me when I looked “healthy”

she doesn’t need to know next time lock the door!!!

7 Likes

Tell her the truth. It looks bad, but it’s natural. It happens to most ladies once a month when their bodies get ready for babies. If they don’t have a baby, the blood comes out for few days and that’s all there is to it. No big deal.

6 Likes

I would tell her the truth, I personally had my period at 8 years old, I wish someone would’ve told me about it honestly

2 Likes

I have a 6 yr old boy who has seen this too and I have no idea what to tell him so I’m glad u asked this!

Honestly I would just tell her the truth of what it is. I have a 6-year-old and a 8 year old and I’ve always made it normal with them I also have a 2-year-old boy and they all know it is normal that women have that that one day they will have it as well

1 Like

My son can’t stand the sight of blood and one day he happened to see me on mine and he freaked out thought I was dying…and I explained to him what it was and that I was not dying and he asks me if he is going to get a period one day :joy::joy::joy:…he was 5 now he’s 8…

be straight and honest and medical about it. My daughter knows all about it and she is 7.

2 Likes

Just tell her the truth? I don’t understand lol. I’ve always told my boys the blunt honest truth about what women go through.

3 Likes

Be as honest as you can, she will have to know as much as possible before she gets hers. Just so she’s prepared.

1 Like

Tell her the truth in a way that she can understand.

1 Like

Tell her its a natural girl thing and you will talk about it more when she is older

1 Like

I would use it as a teaching moment. I did with my daughter when she was 7 and she ended up getting her period at 10 so I was glad I did. I just told her it’s normal, it doesn’t hurt and every lady has it happen. I told her we’d talk more about it as she got older and if she had questions to ask mama. She did and she’s 13 now and we talk about everything.

2 Likes

I think you are right Ash & Jessy

My 5yr son questions everything… I told him that every month my body makes a nest inside for a baby and and when there is no baby my body needs to get rid of the nest so mummy gets a period.

1 Like

Just be matter of fact and straight up about it. It is natural and will happen to her too.

I would tell her when you become a women you have that. Just tell her she is too young yet to understand, but once she is older she will go through it.

2 Likes

No reason not to tell her the truth about it. It’s just a part of life for most people with a uterus. It’ll happen to her one day, and if your weird about it now, she might come to think it’s something to be ashamed of.

2 Likes

Tell her the truth it’s completely normal and that all women and girls of certain age go through it

1 Like

Tell her its normal and when girls get older they get there menstrual cycle which causes bleeding that lasts for about a week each month and when she gets older she will get it also. I’m not sure if your 11 year old knows but they definitely should know especially it they are a girl some girls get them as early as 7 or 8.

1 Like

I just told my daughter it’s what happens to big girls who don’t have babies :rofl:
I’m currently pregnant but still leave out products for people who come over who may need them and she asked one day. She’s also 4 so i didn’t have to go into total detail :woman_shrugging:t2:

Just tell her what it is. Explain periods. Be honest. My 5 yr old calls pads “Mommy diapers!” :joy:

2 Likes

If it was a boy I’d make something up, but a girl, tell her

My son has known about menses for years. He’s almost 10. First time he saw it he thought we needed to call 911. I explained this is what happens to women every month. It’ll happen for all of his female friends. Just be honest with her it’s nothing scary.

1 Like

I’d start with mummy’s ok, then be honest and say it’s happens to all females when you become of age and means your becoming a woman etc etc

1 Like

My daughter was 4 when something similar happened and I told her the truth.

Just tell her the truth. My daughter just turned 6 and knows what a period is and she doesn’t care lol

2 Likes

Normalize talking to kids about puberty. It’s going to happen to them and if we don’t talk about it, when it happens, they are unprepared.

Tell her the truth. You get a period when you start puberty and your body matures. Maybe buy her a book for young girls. Answer her questions but don’t make it shameful

3 Likes

My son was maybe three when he saw momma wears diapers sometimes. And i told him bc mommas body doesn’t have a baby to grow, it’s got clean house and make things nice in case it happens next month

2 Likes

5 year olds don’t need to know.

5 Likes

My 3 year old said ouch mummy you have a boo boo and says I need a plaster :see_no_evil: now everytime we see the bin in the toilets she always says that for mummy’s plasters :see_no_evil:

1 Like

This has happened with 3 of our girls. 7,6, and 4… they thought I was dying… I told them that it happens to all girls and its nothing to be ashamed of or scared of. That one day it will happen. It just means you are growing into a woman and women have it for the rest of their life once a month it happens and it is their body getting ready to one day carry a baby when they are married… I didn’t kno what else to say lol they seem fine with that answer. So I let it go

6 Likes

Yeah sit her down and tell he the truth

2 Likes

Tell her the truth. One day she will get it too.

1 Like

Just tell her the truth? I have 3 children, two boys and one girl and all have known about periods and what they are since the age of 3/4 . It’s an inescapable fact of life there is no use hiding it

1 Like

Be honest about it. There’s nothing shameful about it and the sooner the conversations start the easier it will be when her time comes.

I told my kids the truth at that age in terms they understand. Every month the body creates extra blood and tissue to prepare for a baby to grow. If there’s no baby, that blood and tissue comes out.

1 Like

I told my 2 year old it happens once a month to mommas. She calls my pads mommas packages and says momma has yuckies to change

Lock your bathroom door. My kids never saw anything like that.

5 Likes

I just said that it is something that happens when girls get big and it is no big deal. We call it private Mommy business.

2 Likes

just be honest! Just explainn that when you become a woman your body changes, from little girl to woman now the rest you need to explain just answer her question don’t offer more it can be overwhelming!. i stilll remember my mom telling me!

When my daughter was probably about 3, I changed a pad in a crowded public bathroom and she yelled “ewww mommy you pooped your pants??” I could have DIED!

5 Likes

I explained my period to my son at like 3. I told him the truth, that when mommy doesn’t make a baby she has to bleed out the different things her body makes in preparation for the baby. We talked about how it’s kind of like a bed for a baby but since I didn’t need it, it has to come out. I also explained cramps, cravings, and mood swings. Of course, at 3 it all didn’t stick right away and we talked about it many times since then. My son is 6 now and let me tell you, he is sooooo supportive and sweet and understanding when I’m on my period. To his future partner (if he chooses someone who experiences periods) you’re welcome.

2 Likes

The truth. My son did the same. I told him that mommy’s have a seed that needs a seed from the daddy to make a baby. When there is no other seed and a baby isn’t made, then mommy bleeds. So I have to wear a “bandaid” for a little while. He asked if it happens a lot and I told him every couple of weeks. Didn’t go into detail but let him know it was normal and all girls do it.

I’m on blood thinners, which cause me to bleed more. My 5 year old daughter walked in while in the midst of changing. She asked why I’m bleeding. I told her it’s something a girl gets when they reach a certain age. Since that happened she like to get my pad for me. She doesn’t seem uncomfortable and I tell her the truth since she was so interested. I don’t see a problem with it, knowing one day she will start to have one also.

Tell it like it is. My daughter got her period when she was 8.

4 Likes

I’ve been honest about it with my now 7 year old son. He used to follow me too(still does🤦‍♀️) his sisters will get it, and I don’t want there to be any shame/fear/disgust in my house since it’s natural!

2 Likes

I told my 5 year old that it was normal and when she got older she’d have a period too that mommy is OK and it’s supposed to happen but to give mommy privacy (I preach that to my girls) and I assured her it wasn’t a boo boo & I was just fine…didn’t go into detail & she was fine with it!

I told my daughter what I believe is the most scientific answer lol. I showed her a picture of a uterus. I explained that female bodies hold eggs and that every month they’re supposed to come out cuz our bodies make new ones and the older ones need to leave and make room. When they leave our bodies it comes out through the vagina and we need to use either a tampon or a pad to soak it up so it won’t get on our clothes and make a mess. I explained that when her body is ready it’ll just happen.

I got my first one when I was 7 and had no clue all day. So I was definitely having this talk early with her.

Just let her know that every month her body will self clean. It is a cleaning process for the place a baby grows. It’s like his private room. Just like she needs to keep her room clean that she plays and sleeps in. One day her “baby room” will start to clean too. God bless.

3 Likes

You should use this time to give her the basic details… I was 8 better to be uncomfortable talking about it now then her scared and unprepared

I explained it to my daughter by telling her it happens to every woman and will eventually happen to you too. There is nothing nasty about it and it’s completely natural.

Explaining it this way made her excited to get one :joy::joy: she’ll regret that soon enough

1 Like

I’ve always had really terrible, heavy periods. My oldest is almost 7 and has known what periods are for a few years now. (My youngest is 2 so can’t really comprehend yet, but she knows I get “boo boos” on my “tee tee”.)

:)) I want her to learn from me before she hears anything at school/from friends/etc, because I know the information I give her will be accurate and true. It’s a totally natural thing in life. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed about or disgusted by, so please don’t feel nervous telling her!

1 Like

Oh boy , its been forever since my kids were young n i have zero grandchildren. Gosh momma i think i would tell her that grown ups do that sometimes but it doesnt mean they are hurt. Of course im sure shes gonna ask why ? Lol.

I told my daughter when she was 5 yrs. old that I scratched myself by mistake and caused a booboo. It worked and every time she would walk in on me she would say you scratched yourself again, mommy. A child will fear something like that and at 5 she wasn’t old enough to actually know the truth. When she was 13 and got her period, she was just fine.

1 Like

Tell her the truth? Make it age appropriate with small vocabulary that’s easy to understand. My 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy know what a period is. They know it happens once you hit puberty sometimes early, they know it only happens to females and it happens every month and when you don’t have it you may be sick or pregnant. I explained pads, and vaginal cups to my 6 year old and explained to her because she’s little she’s going to have to use pads when she starts and etc. Its not something to be scared of. Remember; Ignorance is a weapon that can be used against children.

Oh. These comments confuse me … my 3 and 9 year old sons know the jist of what a period is… don’t make it a big deal. Just tell her it happens when girls grow up

10 Likes

Be honest! Whenever I explain things to my 4 year old I go to google and use pictures (not real life ones, but diagrams) and explain what happens! I just had a baby, so all through my pregnancy I was explaining what was going on, why I was so big, why I couldn’t move very fast and all between showing her diagrams of inside the woman’s body when there’s a baby in there!
They’re going to learn about it at some point, wouldn’t you rather it be from you?

1 Like

I always just explained that it is a thing that happens to girls when they get older. My oldest knew exactly what was happening when she started.

Girls and women bleed from their vaginas every month. There’s something happening inside our bodies that makes us bleed. No, I’m not going to die. It’s normal and nothing to be worried about. Easy frickin peasy.

1 Like

My daughter walked in on me in the same situation. I explained to her that when a girl gets old enough, she can have a baby and this is what happens if a baby isn’t in the mommy’s tummy. Then I explained that she doesn’t have to worry about it for a very long time. The best you can do is be honest, but in an age appropriate way.

Tell the truth xxx All my kids are fully aware of the girls body theyvare 5, 7 and 9. My 5 year old dont quite understand the details but she knows i bleed, she knows that i use tampons and she k ows i take a pill to stop me having babies the other 2 know the correct words and more detail of what happens to the body. I rather them be prepared then scared. Plus its just a house of girls and if they are gonna talk to me whilst sat on the toilet and look i will answer any questions they have

3 Likes

I’ve always explained it to both of my kids, boy and girl, that it’s a normal thing that happens to women. It’s how I know I wasn’t having a baby. As they got older I would add more details in.

Explain in the simplest of terms she will understand. Don’t lie

Just try and explain it in terms she would understand. You don’t have to include great detail.

I told my sons that all it was, was my body letting me know I wasn’t growing a baby in my tummy.

2 Likes

my girls were in the bathroom with me when was that time they asked me whats that are u hurt all i said to them was this is a part of life when u get older they were kinda young and little older.my 2nd oldest daughter of 3 girls whos in 5th grade they did the talk at her school further more.

My son walked in on me when he was about that age, I told him it was completely normal and I’m not hurt. Every month women bleed for a few days each month and that’s their body’s way of letting them know that they’re not having a baby and it’s okay. I told him it’s called their “lady time” and they may be uncomfortable and more tired than normal but they are not hurt. :rofl: he’s 12 now , he knows it’s called a period but he still calls it “lady time”:rofl:to be polite lol

7 Likes

When my son was young and he walked in the bathroom while I was in there saw blood runs out to his dad said momma has blood she needs your help mommy got hurt and I had to sit him down that’s called a period and that was a normal thing that comes around for girls.

2 Likes