How to explain periods to a 5-year-old?

Do any of you mothers know that bathroom doors are made with locks on them.

7 Likes

At the very least explain that it is a natural part of being a woman and that there is nothing to be worried about. Tell her you’ll go into more details when it’s closer to time for her.

2 Likes

As a pediatric nurse, I would advise to tell her this blood isn’t from mommy being hurt. That it’s a normal body function nearly all women have as they get older and it’s part of the process for having babies. That’s all she needs to know at this age.

13 Likes

My daughters 3 and a half and knows what it is. I explained it honestly, I told her how the cycle of a period works and also showed her a diagram of a woman’s reproductive system which seemed to help. she had a heap of questions we went through them though.

Jus be honest my 4 Year Old son has basic knowledge of it.

2 Likes

I told my little ones that mommy’s bodies get ready to carry a baby every month and if we don’t carry the baby then our body gets rid of all the extra stuff it was making to help the baby and it comes out like blood

6 Likes

The truth. I told mine. Women bleed every month it’s called a period. It prepares her body to have a baby if she wants one. Explain to boys and girls. Boys will have girl friends and daughters someday. Teach girls about boy puberty too. It’s a part of life.

3 Likes

My son was super curious (hes 3 now) so I told him that it’s just my period, I get it once a month and I bleed a little, it doesn’t hurt, but it’s natural for girls. He cares more about the pads anyways at this point. Theyre just big stickers :rofl::woozy_face:

3 Likes

Not an answer but my 4 year old told my family I wear diapers and they laughed. Then 20 min later she got my pads from her diaper bag as proof and showed them all

2 Likes

I talked with my son about the process my body is taking and how it works. He was about 5 when we first talked about it and it was a super basic explanation. “Mommy’s body (and anyone with a participating uterus) can go through a monthly change and blood is part of it. But it doesn’t hurt I just have to use these (the tampon he was holding) to prevent a mess” He used to joke I was kinda like a werewolf. :joy: Now he is 8 and knows the scientific process and the names for everything. It’s kinda cool to me that he knows because I didn’t even know what was actually happening to me until I was almost in my 20s from being raised in a pretty conservative household. It was kinda taboo topic. Me and my kids talk about it in the middle of lunch on any regular Tuesday. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I explained like a chicken. My egg didn’t turn into a baby, so that’s all extra like drinking too much water

1 Like

My little ones have known since they were old enough too
I’m straight up with them about EVERYTHING!!!
you just talk to them

1 Like

If start by teaching them boundaries :woman_shrugging: tbh

My 2.5 year old asked me because i get no bathroom privacy :joy: i just told her what it was. It’s perfectly normal!

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and she’s been known about my.

I just told her when you get older you’ll have one and you and I will have a discussion

1 Like

My son who is nearly 5 knows all about it. I just tell him it’s ‘tummy bleed’. It doesn’t hurt, it just comes out sometimes and it’s because there isn’t a baby in my tummy so I don’t need the extra blood. He even gets me a pad and rubs my tummy for me if I tell him I have it

1 Like

I just say “That means mommy doesn’t have a baby in her belly” anytime one of my son’s questions me having “boo boos”

Tell her the truth when she gets older it will happen and that.it’s normal. My son was 2 when I told him all about it cause he seen my pad and thought I got hurt

Explain that it’s normal for grown women (and teenage girls) to have a period. Explain in simple ways that it’s part of the cycle of the uterus. Explain in simple terms that a uterus is where a baby grows while it’s waiting to be born and that once a month if there’s no baby, the uterus cleans itself.

My daughter seen I had mine when she was at a young age and I just told her what it was. She didn’t make a fuss. Just said that’s gross and walked away

My kids both know straight up mom gets her period. It’s just something women get it’s totally normal & a part of life. They have always known since they were old enough to see blood & ask if I was ok.

Tell the truth but simplify it. Please use proper names!

1 Like

I told my daughter about it very young due to starting at 7 & school starts young now to teach here. I would sit & explain it all

Tell her the truth. She will learn eventually anyways might as well be from mom. My daughter is 5 and knows that if I decide to not turn my egg into a baby then I have a period to clean me out and start fresh.