How to get a 5-month-old to sleep through the night?

I am so exhautsed…my 5 month old hates sleepin…how can I get him to sleep through the night?

72 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get a 5-month-old to sleep through the night?

Seriously? He’s 5 months old. There are 2-3 years old that don’t even sleep through the night. Welcome to mother hood.

7 Likes

Is he waking up to feed or just waking up? Not all babies sleep through the night. Mine is 7 months and she still wakes up to feed and will even wake up and have a little play party for a little bit. But it all depends on her nap schedule throughout the day. :woman_shrugging:

You don’t lol
Kids grow almost continuously and teethe, etc
My first didn’t sleep through the night until about 20-22 months. So much goes on with 3 and under.

3 Likes

Babies sleeping through the night is luck of the draw. Some sleep well, some don’t. If they’re waking up to feed—they’re hungry, feed them. If they’re waking up to “snack back to sleep” you can always shush or pat bottom back to sleep.

2 Likes

My daughter is almost 5 and won’t sleep through the night unless I sleep with her, if i sneak out she’ll almost instantly wake up telling me not to go. She has always been a terrible sleeper since she was about 6 months old. Just Unfortunately have to deal with the sleepless nights and do what you can to cope. It can be exhausting.

You don’t.
Stay at Home Moms :fire:

You can’t the baby is 5 months old. Welcome to parenthood you won’t get a full nights sleep for a long time

3 Likes

My 3 year olds still don’t, my 6yr old slept through from 6 weeks - literally luck of the draw, just trial and error with all recommendations you can find and sometimes it still doesn’t work …… tis what it is, and yes I am still trying to get them to sleep through with anything I can do and it’s total and utter rubbish having broken sleep x I feel your pain I really do but your baby is only 5 months with loads going on that could be any reason x just try and rest when you can (which is easier said than done)

Some kids never sleep through the night…can try vibrating baby seats or taking them for car rides

Oh no, you’re new here…

1 Like

Most babies don’t sleep through the night as they ment too… Ones little one is 6 months and shows all signs of readness start baby lea weaning and this will help some.

Put a small amount of rice cereal in his bottle. Thicken up the milk. Keeps him full . Ppl may disagree. But he will sleep longer.

6 Likes

My two year old doesn’t - she has health problems and my 8 month old doesn’t either. Just stick to a routine, bath bottle and bed - nothing else you can do xx

1 Like

5 months old?! You don’t! Welcome to motherhood, you haven’t seen anything yet.

5 Likes

Sleep is developmental, nothing you do at this stage will get your baby to sleep through the night. They will when they are ready.

4 Likes

You don’t. He’s 5 months old…. Nurse the baby. Sleep. Repeat. Have them sleep with you then you’ll get more rest too cause all you have to do is roll over to nurse. Unless you’re using formula

Lol goodluck. My son didn’t start sleeping through the night until right before he turned 2

1 Like

They are not mean to. It is purely survival instinct to wake. And they still need to feed throughout the night because of how rapidly they grow, both brain and body.
Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep is a great group!

3 Likes

Girl, I hear you! Instead of saying “welcome to motherhood” like everyone else is saying… it does suck. I have so many friends that have the easiest babies! My boy is almost 8 months, and has always struggled with sleep. Recently, he started purées, and that’s helped a TON. He’s fuller when he goes to bed. Also, it’s not for everyone , but we let him cry it out. The first night was about 2 hours. We’d go in every 15 min and reassure him he’s ok, and now, he sleeps from 8pm-1am, cries for about 15 min, and sleeps until 630am. Again, we didn’t start this until he was 7 months, 5 months I think is too early. But, hang in there! We’ll sleep eventually! :upside_down_face:

My first one slept after she was 3 months and my second slept for the first night when she was 3 years old.

babies who fall into too deep of a sleep cannot wake themselves up this is what SIDS is. and what causes it. it’s a deffectice gene that not all babies have. do not alltrive for them to sleep for hours without you. or else they may not wake up at all.

2 Likes

Make sure their belly is full

2 Likes

Babies are just little people. They are all different . By 5 months mine were sleeping all night but both were mostly weaned …the normal at the time …if they wakened they got a drink of water then went back to sleep.
Parenthood is not easy . You just have to figure out why they are waking and deal with it. A good bedtime routine is important even at that age and I found walking with them in the buggy was enough of a nap time so they were ready for bed .

1 Like

My babies four months old and she wasn’t sleeping through the night I just give her a nice relaxing bath and then give her a bottle with a little bit of baby cereal in it and now she sleeps through the night

1 Like

You can try to keep them up more during the day… but I’ve been lucky and all three of mine slept through by two months lol :joy:

I know it’s hard a lot of the time but babies aren’t meant to sleep through the night (it’s okay if they do it on their own and they are out of the newborn stage). I know it’s hard right now mama… just try to hang in there. The nights might seem long but trust me, it goes by faster than you think! :green_heart:

I don’t recommend following any advice that tell you to put rice or oatmeal in their bottles to try to help them sleep. It’s outdated information - they don’t have fuller bellies and are just getting empty calories. There is no nutritional value from this. Besides that, it is very dangerous. Babies can aspirate that right into their lungs.

4 Likes

Every child is different. My son sleep through the night at over 2. My daughter was 3 months. Freaked me out.

Babies are supposed to wake up during the night.

2 Likes

It was years ago but the best advice from my doctor was. If feeding formula use the concentrate/ready made formula at bedtime. It is thicker than the powdered and made baby feel fuller. It’s more expensive so I used the powdered during the day and the other only at night. It worked for all my kids.

2 Likes

I know I’m gonna get some heat from people but idc my kids are still fine and healthy but I used to give a bath at night with some night time soap and then put night time lotion on my child then I gave my kids gripe water then I would give my baby a formula bottle then a bottle with formula and a lil bit of baby cereal they would sleep for a bit so I can have some rest.

1 Like

I had one that slept 8 hours a night at 6 weeks old. Woke up, ate, and slept 4 more. Then I had his sister, who I swear did not sleep for 3 years. It was exhausting. They are all different, you just do the best you can and get through it.

2 Likes

Check out Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep.

1 Like

Baby could be teething my kids were co sleepers two are out by 8:30 one never sleeps unless everything in the house is completely off and I mean everything has be laying down with mom in the dark if theirs any noise he will be up until 1:30am at least :persevere: took a few years to figure that out and a lot of sleepless nights

You don’t really lol. This is just how some babies are and even with full bellies, routine, basic necessities fulfilled they will still wake up.

3 Likes

You don’t. I know it’s hard but I’m gonna be honest I have 3 kids n not 1 of them slept through the night till after the age of 2

3 Likes

Took my boy til he was 2 and a half to start sleeping through. He’s 3 and a half now and still wakes up to 3 times some nights

1 Like

You don’t.
He’s 5 months old.
They’ll sleep when they’re ready for it. It can take months, even years.

3 Likes

Put a little cereal in his last bottle of the night. He won’t get hungry as fast and will sleep longer. Some people may say not to do this cause he’s too young, but I assure you, it’s fine. I did it with my 3 and it worked like a charm. Everyone was happier. Lol. And it was recommended by my pediatrician for those who say just cause she did it, doesn’t make it safe. If it wasn’t safe and recommended by a medical professional, I certainly wouldn’t have given it to my children. Good luck and hopefully some good sleep!!!

4 Likes

Take him back for a refund…

7 Likes

Don’t put anything in a bottle but formula or breast milk. With your baby being only 5 months they aren’t ready for anything other than formula or breast milk. Babies are designed to wake up.

5 Likes

You could do the cry it out method . Once you’ve changed him fed him burped him etc and know he’s perfectly fine you can put him in his crib and just let him soothe himself. It’ll be hard tho cause he’ll cry for you. Or try giving him rice cereal in his bottle before bed too. He might be teething too. Some babies just cry

2 Likes

My son didn’t sleep for full night till he was 18 months old

Mine started all through the night when I started cosleeping but that was at a year n a half

Sleep sacks. Try Sleeping Baby - Home of the Zipadee-Zip My son has been sleeping through the night since he was about 3 or 4 months old.

Well mine is 14 years and has never slept through the night .

My middle child has never slept through the night until she was 3. I think it was because of tensions with her sperm donor because once he was gone she slept all night. If you’re in a stressful relationship leave it. He needs a calm Mama.

I’m sorry to find it a little funny, but as mom’s we’ve all been there. Hunny, you don’t. Their tummies are too small to be going that long without food and giving empty fillers like rice cereal in bottles are empty calories and have no nutritional value besides the fact of being a choking hazard. So you kinda just have to live with it, which I know is beyond hard because sleep deprivation is probably one of the worst tortures I can think of. Get some good coffee or energy drinks, whatever you personally enjoy and just try to remember to take it day by day!

9 Likes

You dont get them to sleep through the night,you wake up with them every time they wake you​:joy::joy:

3 Likes

My son didn’t sleep through the night until he was 2 tryed everything​:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Highly recommend this book. It was written by a sleep expert. It’s all about setting up a routine so your child can eventually get themselves back to sleep independently.

Give him some rice cereal before bed. My dr said a 9 pound baby won’t be satisfied unless they eat every 2 hours. Mine were 6 weeks old and got a tablespoon of cereal off a spoon at 6 weeks before bed. They slept through the night. Big babies require more to keep them satisfied. They are healthy adults with zero health issues and not overweight

4 Likes

What I find is to be quite useful well with my little one anyway is giving her a bath before bed and some solid food

its not recommended food at that age because their gag doesn’t fully develop between 4-6 months, so if it seems yours is developed, you can try soft foods, one of the signs is the baby getting up all hrs of the night constantly hungry. Ask your doctor. But if it’s not really hungry then it could be time to change the routine a bit and no nap 3-4 hrs before bedtime might help. I would take my kids swimming before bedtime then pjs, they slept most of the night that way. Find what activities work for you. Watch the British nanny show there’s great tips. The little one could be teething as well, the joys of enfants is constantly monitoring their development to modify their schedule of their needs, so best of luck. I do suggest get someone to babysit so you yourself scheduled in a snooze it’s recommended 4 hrs when you deprived to get your REN sleep.

Music, or white noise.

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $18555… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://dollarspay9.pages.dev

He’s five months old. There’s a lot still they are learning. Top the tank right before bed. Even an extra half ounce or so. He may also be over stimulated or under stimulated. Makes it harder for bed. Get a solid bedtime routine. We did movie and relax and bottle right before nightly since birth. Helps so much

2 Likes

my baby luckily sleeps through the night and so did my son
I have blackout curtains
White noise machine
She only wears her long sleeve footed pjs and make sure the ac is at 72 not too cold not hot
I don’t put on the sleep sacks anymore because she gets too hot
I turn on the Air purifier which also has its own white noise and I make sure their tummy is full and diaper is changed before bed

Most of the time I give her a bath right before bed and I start dimming lights an hour before and start rocking her or put in swing until she’s sleepy and I transfer her into her bed
I also think a binky helps (pacifier)
Rarely will she wake up after 4-6 hours
Luckily lately I’m getting all night 7-8 hours

Hang in there
Try my recommendations
If all else fails I hear amazing things from “taking cara babies “
Or could be colic or gas? Try checking things off I go through a mental list

Best of luck :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

Mine didnt sleep more than a few hours till she was well over 1 year. Part of it. It comes eventually

1 Like

I’m 31 and I still don’t sleep through the night, I get up to pee or have a drink :joy:. All seriousness though my now 2.5 year old daughter has only just started sleeping through the night. But she has good night’s and bad nights - teething, sick, just wants a cuddle, wants some water or boob

My son finally started sleeping though the entire night. Age 2.5 years

1 Like

Others don’t really have easier babies, they just don’t talk about them.

2 Likes

Oh dear. I know it’s tough but 98% of babies do not sleep through the night at this early age. I know you are tired but it won’t last forever. Hang in there

4 Likes

They are an eating, sleeping and pooping machine the first year! A baby’s bladder is much smaller, they are going to wake every 2-3 hours the first few months or so. Eventually they will adjust to their biological clock. Give it time. Rest during the day when the baby sleeps.

Shush pat and pick up/put down! YouTube or Google it. Life changing.
Also Sleep Lady Shuffle
(These methods teach self soothing, before I get attacked)

1 Like

depends are you feeding them solid food at night. depends on the child to! once us women have babys sleep never goes back I’ve had 5 they slept great always gave them solid food to eat

1 Like

Unfortunately you won’t unless they are ready to

1 Like

Every baby is different. All my kids slept differently. My last baby didn’t start sleeping through the night (waking for just one bottle) till she was 1. But if you need some sleep cut off a nap. If you baby takes 2-3 naps a day cut one off and don’t give a nap close to bed time. And shorten the last nap only do it for a hour. It’s worth a try. Plus routine dinner little play time bath & bed. Good luck

4 Likes

You don’t. You feed and change diapers as needed. As they get older they sleep longer and it all works out.

4 Likes

Do you sleep through the night without waking up? I know I don’t. So why would you expect a baby to?

6 Likes

Keep him up during the day

2 Likes

Sometimes they just don’t, my first child slept 13hrs uninterrupted from 6 weeks old whereas my son who is 13 months doesn’t sleep through still :sweat_smile: all kids are different. All you can do is meet all there needs so it’s less stressful

Try feeding him Rice cereal at evening!!!

2 Likes

Sleep sack, warm bottle, paci at will, white noise, dark room, all a must to get my baby to sleep. Through the night? You’re not there yet. My baby went to 1 night bottle with 1 smaller wake up looking for paci at 11 months. She just slept through the night first time last night. Its a process. Then between 2-3 my son didn’t sleep well again. Which is another process. It comes in stages! Good luck!

my daughter is 2.5 and still doesn’t sleep all the way through … and now we have a 3 month old as well. i also have to wake up to my oldest who is 10 who has type 1 diabetes… when your a mum you never get to go back to a normal sleep routine

4 Likes

My son didnt "sleep through (8pm-6am) till after we stopped breastfeeding at 13½ months. Started sleeping through (8pm-4am) at 9 months. Hes 2½ now and still sometimes wakes around 4am

My son was near on 4 when he slept through, unfortunately there’s not a lot you can do. Especially if baby is only 5 months old

1 Like

Wait they sleep through the night at 5 months? :joy: mine didn’t until he was almost 2!

1 Like

I don’t get these comments. 2 yrs? 4 yrs? You are missing something. I had 3 and 1st a preemie. All slept through the night by 3 months old. I know every child is different, but that is horrible. Try bathing just before bed, use lighting effects or very soft calm music. No stimulation for an hour before bed. cereal in their bottle to fill them, Maybe an hour later bed time , like 9 instead of 8. And I know it is thought to be cruel to let them cry a little, but really it won’t hurt them. And maybe they will get the message that you aren’t jumping when they whimper. also pacifier might help.

4 Likes

Mine were both sleeping all night by 3 months.

My 3 month only wants to sleep with Metallica blaring :upside_down_face::sob::joy:

3 Likes

Babywise - I followed the wake eat play sleep routine.

It’s a development milestone. You can’t force them unless you’re just a POS who don’t attend to their cry & just let them cry. In that case , they stop crying because they realize you don’t give a shit about them or their emotional needs.

My kids are 20(usm)19,16,14 and still dont sleep lo night long.

You don’t. Many kids don’t sleep through the night until they’re a 1+. Get someone to come baby sit for a while so you can sleep.

Tire him.out during the day, don’t let him sleep past or fall asleep after 2pm
He may well be cranky and fussy in the afternoon evening but it might help.
I guess I was lucky. All of my 5 slept through by 6 weeks

2 Likes

What time are you expecting baby to sleep from? If you’re putting baby to bed at 6 or 7 they aren’t going to sleep through until morning. Make bedtime about 8 or 9, play a little after dinner, warm bath, warm bottle, then nighty-night.

1 Like

Make your husband stay up with him

Time most likely… My son didn’t start sleeping through the night till he was almost 4.

3 Likes

Best advice I can give, it’s not about the sleep routine.
If you take kids and babies outside during the day with all of that fresh air.
I Guarantee they will sleep between 5-8pm depending how long they been playing outside. I had to do that with my daughter and she slept through the night without any problems. It’s that fresh air they need, they can’t be inside the house all the time.

1 Like

It’s impossible if you are nursing sorry to say it’s just something we parents have to deal with we are told that they need to sleep through the night at a certain age nope wrong we are carriers our babies are supposed to be with us and near us until at least 3 nursing babies they don’t sleep through the night formula fed babies they tend to sleep through the night is he teething?

Your a mum, sleep is now over rated :joy: my daughter is 6 and just started sleeping my sons 17months and doesn’t sleep through the night xx

1 Like

I co slept. As soon as I kicked my son out of our bed @ 8 months old. He slept all night in his crib. I don’t know if he just knew I was right their so he’d wake up every hour. I alsowas breastfeeding to.

Is that even possible? I’m sorry you are so exhausted. There’s nothing more tiring than being a mum to a baby. My daughter is nearly 9 yrs and still doesn’t sleep through. As a baby she tested me mentally, it was so hard being so exhausted all the time.
I honestly have no advice. Goodluck and try to look after yourself.

Cereal in there bottle. Definately. All my kids slept through the night with it

Try some rice cereal in bed time bottle never failed me

1 Like

Lots of natural bright light during the day time. Make sure there’s enough stimulation throughout the day - toys, music, playtime, etc. Then create a bedtime routine. Ex. My 7 month old I have a sound machine night light in his room that plays a lullaby all night. I turn that on, make the room very dark besides the night light thing, feed him a bottle while rocking him in his room. He falls asleep with a binkie and I gently lay him in his crib. He will sleep either all night or usually only wake up once for a diaper change and bottle, rocked right back to sleep.

1 Like

Mine was an awful sleeper until 10 months and it was hellish… but then it was like a switch had gone off and her sleep has been great! We hadn’t don’t anything different, it was just development.

Also I can’t believe how many people are suggesting putting rice/biscuits in a bottle. It is a huge choking risk for a 5 month old!

Some do some dont…i have one that doesn’t sleep much at all…still 16 years later and don’t sleep much…got one that with in the first month started sleeping most of the night…got one who was born 2 months early…had to wake and feed her every 2 hrs…best advice sleep when they nap.