How to get baby to keep pacifier in their mouth?

My boy is one month old, and his passy will not stay in his mouth. I have to hold it the ENTIRE time. As soon as it comes out (literally in 5secons of me not holding it he screams) he has to use it to take naps. Any tips on how to get it to stay in his mouth? I am about to loose my mind…

35 Likes

Which pacifier are you using

Try a different brand.

My son was the same way! The nuk ones are the only ones he could keep in his mouth! Might just try a different brand!

4 Likes

Has he been checked for a tongue tie? He could have one which inhibits him holding it properly. My son has one and has the same issue.

4 Likes

Don’t give it to him maybe he’ll get use to not having it. My daughter never had one (BEST decision I made, one less thing to have to break later)

5 Likes

i used to strap it in with the swaddle… lol she could completely breathe and it wasn’t tight, just enough to hold it in.

I really only have one thing to say and it’s this: do away with it now. It’s harder than hell to get it away from them when they’re older. Find a different soothing technique to help baby fall asleep. That’s my opinion anyway. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Why does he have to have it?

I breastfeed my baby to sleep.

Try a different type.

Have you tried different shaped ones? Could be if it’s a certain shape they just don’t like. Neither of mine could use the flat ones, as same happened…both used the balloon ones no problem…maybe a idea x

2 Likes

Maybe he’s spitting it out cause he doesn’t want it? The crying could be cause he’s hungry

5 Likes

He is not fooled, there is nothing in it. Give him a bottle of water, he is probably thirsty. Water is better for babies than juice.

12 Likes

Dont give it to him
Find something else to soothe him… perhaps lullabies?

1 Like

I couldn’t get my son to take one either. He liked tbe sucking but wouldnt tske to any pacifier. I eventually gave up and soothed him other ways. I let him breastfeed longer or rocked him or swaddled him. It ended up working out better in the long run because i never had to take it away from him once he got older. My firdt son he used one and it was so hard taking it away from once he was older. 2 different situations. And for the 3rd baby im about to have im not even introducing one to him because it was so much easier dealing with it at 1 month instead over a year

Dont give him it it’s a worthless item that just causes more issues

Try a smaller one🤷‍♀️ sorry not much help!

2 Likes

Try a different pacifier. It might not be the right one for him. I switched from the Avent Soothie to the Nuk when my daughter was a few months old and she loves her Nuk still at 8 months old.

4 Likes

Try a different brand of paci. My 3 month old only uses one brand the others she won’t keep in her mouth

2 Likes

Woah don’t give baby water… Especially at a month old…
Try a different brand of pacifier

3 Likes

Try a different brand

1 Like

Cherry dummies are the best if you are using those flat sided ones they are useless they can’t grip them

Maybe try swaddling without a pacifier. Rock him until he falls asleep and put him in his crib. Mine never were dependent on pacifiers either but that’s the only way I got them to sleep was by rocking them and swaddling them.

Try a newborn passy! Like mam brand

1 Like

Do NOT give him water. Babies shouldn’t have water until they are a little older…mine didnt get it until 6 months old and only sips at a time. Try swaddling it in or just dont give it to him at all.

4 Likes

He’s only a freaking month old. You cant expect him to hold it on his own yet

1 Like

Feed him. Hes still hungry. If breastfeeding he will fall.asleep on your boob

I had to switch the brand I used, because of this.

1 Like

Get him the big ugly Gerber one with the ball on the end of it

1 Like

Check for being tongue tied. Does he have latching problems too? I had to get my sons cut 2 times bc he couldnt suck right

1 Like

Try a different brand. NAM, Tommy Tippie and several others makes newborn size ones.

1 Like

You could try a wubbanub. But if that’s too big try a different bink! We had issues with every brand but MAM!

Try a newborn pacifer

He’s spitting it out for a reason… just let him go without it! The first day may suck but he will calm down.

1 Like

The nipple may be too big for him.:woman_shrugging: Try a different brand.

1 Like

Good time to get rid of it ,he will adjust

2 Likes

Have you tried different types of binkys different shapes smaller or bigger

5 Likes

Just stop using the passy.

3 Likes

What kind of Pacifier are you using maybe try a different one.

1 Like

My son stopped taking pacifiers at 2 months old. I didn’t fight it for this exact reason. I’d say wean him off now while he’s already spitting it out and find a new way to comfort him. My 6 month old loves butt patts.

1 Like

i wouldn’t continue, my 5th baby was like this, she would also gag tho. she hated it… so didn’t bother after a while…

Dr brown is what we use. U can only get online thru Amazon. Very pricey but thats all my baby will use. Shes npw 10 months n lives her dr brown passys. Its not the entire rubber ones. Its the pastic with rubbet tip ones. Ill show u a pic.

1 Like

My daughter didn’t take her passi until she was about 2 months. She knew there was nothing in it, try feeding first.

1 Like

Different size or just don’t use one.

Maybe he just doesn’t want it :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

At least he takes naps because my daughter is at the point that she screams bloody murder no matter what

2 Likes

Try different kinds it might be a long process but one of them is bound to stay in his mouth. My 14 month old would only take round passys, he hated the other kinds, they’re the only ones that would stay in his mouth and help him sleep.

1 Like

Umm…welcome to motherhood.

5 Likes

These r the ones she loves!! They alsi have boy colors

1 Like

Guide his hand to hold it… that’s what I did and my girls started doing it on their own within a few weeks.

He might not take it some babies are like that and plus you wouldn’t have to worry about trying to break him from it once he gets older

He is prob wantin to be fed…if he keeps spitting it out its a good time to break him of the pacey habit…it might suck for a bit but find other ways to calm him…but dont give him water…

We had that issue and bought a wubbanub!

Find a different one that he will take that stays in. I had that problem with my daughter with the ones they give at the hospital because it was too heavy and would fall out, switched to MAM ones and no issue after

2 Likes

Try a different brand or go without.

2 Likes

If he’s not holding it does he really want it? Don’t force him if he doesn’t

1 Like

I would try a different passy we had to try a couple different kinds and finally found one he liked/kept in his mouth

1 Like

Try a different style.

1 Like

Try a different pacifier.

1 Like

My daughter lost her binky at 1month she’s bee cool without it since but now she shove her middle n index fingers in her mouth the drooling is out of control lol (teething)

It may honestly just be easier to not use a pacifier neither of my kids used one past the first couple weeks

I’d try some different pacifiers.

1 make sure you have the right size
2 i went through the same thing. You have to teach them to hold it in their mouths. Gently tug it almost all the way out and encourage him to suck it back in. Youll have to do this often so his muscle memory kicks in

2 Likes

My son did the same thing I just stopped giving it to him and he self soothed or wanted his bottle so now he’s 18 months and has no interest in a passy at all and hasn’t since he was a month old.

Get a different kind.

Does he have a lip tie or tongue tie? That can cause issues with suction.

1 Like

I like the wubba nubs. It has a little friend that keeps it from rolling when they spit it out, and they can find it easier when they wake up at night after they get older

They come in different sizes

I put my daughter on her side and rolled a burp cloth for her to hold and propped it up by her paci.

Ok ladies…everyone show your tits. See that? Yep! All nipples are different! Fatter, shorter, thinner, longer, flat, round, gumdrops to pez!!!
Some babies have a preference. Find the type that works for your baby. 1 of mine liked Mam. 1 sucked her fingers. The other liked Avent.
Unfortunately, a lot of parenting is trial & error.:wink: mine are all grown ups now. Not being able to help them self soothe as infants was tough.

4 Likes

I couldn’t help. None of my kids used those when they were little. I hope you find a way to help you.

My twins couldn’t keep their pacifier in either. We just didn’t put it back in their mouths one day and never tried it again. Being a month old he will probably adapt quickly and be fine.

1 Like

He might not like it. My daughter hated them. Babies cry it gets better

Some babes just dont like pacies. Sub with a bottle for a bit. May just be wanting more food than you think. My son was drinking 6 ounces sometimes more when he was 2 months, and drs say to make sure they dont go over that amount, well, my baby was starving cause he has a super fast metabolosm like me.

1 Like

My kids were boob babes and never liked a sucky I gave up and just didn’t push it! Better off dealing without then having to fight to get the sucky away anyhow! My kids were not interested at all

Welcome to motherhood.

4 Likes

Make sure lil man don’t have tongue o ref lip tie hun

Try a paci plushie. I never used one but i heard they work. If not u can try one that r made to not be as slippery like the MAM pacis at Walmart which is the only paci my daughter would take

There are different sizes and shapes , the one you have may not feel comfortable to him , good luck :blush:

1 Like

see if he has tongue tie

4 Likes

See if he needs to be fed first, then drop the soother habit asap

1 Like

My kids never liked them either and we’re bottle fed. Try rocking him or patting his leg to put him to sleep.

I tried a few different ones before my daughter liked one. Just keep trying to find one…good luck!

They told me in the hospital when I swaddle her, let the blanket come up right under her pacifier. That way it wouldn’t fall out but she can push it out with her tongue if she wants to. Thankfully, she’s a little over 2 months and her using one is RARE.

1 Like

My little girl was like this I just stopped giving it to her

Try the mam pacifiers. The way they are shaped helps prevent it from falling out so easily

I never used one on any of my kids.

Can you guide him to suck his thumb instead? It’s a hard habit to break but beats listening to him screaming for hours.

Try a different type of passy

3 Likes

I always swaddle my LO so I can tuck the paci into the lip of the blanket. It’s not so tight they cant push it out if they try, just provides resistance. Helped my booger sleep so much better. 5 months now and we hardly use a paci and no more swaddle.

3 Likes

Maybe a different brand

3 Likes

Could just try weaning him off it, could be thw type of nipple and he just don’t like it. Talk to his pediatrician

normal!!! My baby did the same thing.

Try tommy tippy pacifier

1 Like

If he wanted it, it wouldn’t fall out

4 Likes

Lip tie or tongue lie my son had both but we didn’t give him a pacifier til 3 months which was after that he wasn’t sucking a bottle right either or latching

1 Like

Try mam binkis that’s what I did I used the 6-12 month and my son still uses that size and has 15 months

1 Like

My baby did the same in the beginning turned out he had a strict anterior tongue tie now we had it cute no more issues with one and takes it fine :blush:

MAM brand pacifiers!!

2 Likes