How to get baby to sleep through the night?

oh eventually also as got older she learned how to key the door to get out with anything even her fingers

Something like this at his door. It will beep when he goes out of his room.

2 Likes

Hmmm if you find out lmk. I don’t give my daughter sleep aid because she has asthma and she sleeps pretty well but I have friends who do and it is all natural! They love it for their kids!

Try a baby gate at his door, cameras that will connect with your phone to notify you of movement or noise or you can try a door alarm! They even have mattress pads on Amazon that will alarm you as well. (We had to use a camera and bed alarm with my husband’s grandpa that we took care of once his Alzheimer’s got worse)
If you use a lock, something bad can go wrong and he wouldn’t be able to get out. Also, someone can report you even though you mean well, it wouldn’t look right to an OCS worker :disappointed:

1 Like

A child proof handle and a baby gate infront of his door

2 Likes

Put wind chimes above the door so he makes alot of noise and wakes you up 🤷. My mom had one on the fridge so me and my sister couldn’t open it without her knowing :rofl:

2 Likes

Put a loud door alarm. It scares them and wakes u up

From learned past experience. I didn’t do it but a family member did. CPS is not very friendly when kids bedroom doors lock from the outside or any other interior door. AKA closet,pantry bathroom etc. They are also not to friendly with door knob covers on the inside of the room preventing a child from getting out.But from my experience with a child sleep walker. Get the cheap alarms and put those on every door and window you can. They will wake you up. And use gates were its not safe for him to go. If it gets really bad please talk to his doctor. My daughter was having seizures that was causing sleepwalking. Low dose seizure meds and low dose melatonin worked wonders. Good luck momma!

1 Like

There are mini alarms that will go off when door is opened. Also, I have a “half “ screened door . You can have the big door open, so you can hear him better, and have the alarm on the screened door, which is easily opened. he will not feel caged and you will not feel guilty. we just cut a screened door in half. It opens out. The solid door opens in. The handles do not touch when both are closed.

2 Likes

A gate or the door things Shelby recommended. I would prefer the gate so I could see thru. They come in different heights. Can attach bells to it in case your son tries to climb it. That is what I would do anyway.

Try door alarms. Definitely on the outside doors and basements doors.

Baby gate and video monitor that picks up sound well. That way you can wake up and curb the problem immediately.

Sleep walking… baby gates and little alarms. Lock the other doors, not his. Bathroom…basement…

Wow I have to say we don’t have that problem our problem is we CAN’T get him Out of our room

Actually The lock on the outside of his door is a great idea and its better fire wise to sleep with your doors closed.

Baby gate or door sensor. It’s illegal to lock a child in a room.

3 Likes

My mom had to put one of those hook and eye locks at the top of my brothers door to keep him in his room. This was at 2-3 years old. She woke up one morning to find a chair against the front door and the deadbolt unlocked but the chain still in place because even with the chair he couldn’t reach it. He climbed over the baby gate on his door, the baby gate at the top of the stairs and the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs and took the chair and tried to get out of the house. That’s when my mom put the lock on his door. You do what you gotta do to keep your baby safe. There’s also the possibility that he is sleep walking and not even realizing that he’s doing these things. You can talk to his pediatrician about a sleep study.

I would use a door alarm, my parents did that when foster children would try to creep out at night. A lock on the outside is a safety hazard in my mind

1 Like

Baby gate at his door. If he climbs that, stack another one on top of it.

U can buy the door alarms u put them on all the doors like his and the basement I bet that will scare the crap out of him and it will alert u also maybe do the lock on the door its better safe then sorry

Locking the doors and cabinets are considered human rights violations and are grounds for cps getting involved so I would not recommend doing that. However gates and door handle covers are allowed

2 Likes

Baby proof the door knob. I think theres some for different style knobs. He won’t be able to turn and open the door.

If not, google diy baby proofing ideas for for knobs.

But don’t put a lock, i wouldn’t.

Get one of those plastic child proof things that go over the door handle and put it on the inside of his room.

Put up a baby gate o.o seriously

Walk through baby gates, get 2 and put one in upside down so they swing open together and you can use zip ties. Motion sensor as well to alert you to his movements.

Baby gate the stairs…or his room so the door can still open

Baby handle on the inside of the door m

Maybe he’s sleepwalking?? Maybe monitor him a few nights or motion sensor with alarm ?

Probably not a good idea in case there were ever to be a fire or if he figures out how to go out the window instead since he can’t get the door open, consequences could be worse. I would suggest an alarm on his bedroom door instead in case he does come out you will hear it and be able to get to him before.

4 Likes

Put baby gate up to his bedroom door. But I don’t see no problem for him being in your bedroom

Move into kiddos room. Hubby can sleep alone.

I have a stair gate on my daughter’s bedroom. She once used a little chair she had to climb over. Took the chair away. And so on… I wouldn’t put a lock on his door

I wouldn’t lock from outside incase a emergency like a fire or something

1 Like

Emily Schoonover Cramer I tried that with my son did not work he climbed both lol

Lol mine too. But with a baby monitor it bought be some time to get up and get him​:joy::joy:

electrify the doorknob?

Many of the parents of the special needs kids I work with put locks on their kids bedroom doors. It should be a last resort though. I would try gates first.

1 Like

No don’t put a lock on his door. Incase of a fire and he is trapped I know it’s a horrible thought but it’s true. Buy a baby gate or at least an alarm that alerts you to his movement that way you can stop him. My daughter used to do this sneak downstairs in the night. (I’m a hairdresser and found all of my stuff combs curlers the lot all neatly lined up on my stairs, another night she dumped loads of shampoo in the bath the list is endless lol)

Its illegal to put a lock on the outside of a door.

Put a gate up

Door are suppose to be close… Its dangerous to leave then open in case of a fire… Baby proof the door knob

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a baby gate are made for a reason to prevent stuff like this the plus with the baby gate is that you can just lean in and pick them up if something happens

You can get into trouble for putting locks on the door. Get an alarm that goes off when he opens the door, just put it on at night. Or some baby gates, you can always stack them.

1 Like

Check out a Monkey Latch!!

I wouldn’t move him to your room. Once do that it’s hard to get them sleeping back in their room. Baby gate the door or baby proof door knob

I used a baby gate to keep my daughter in her room & the animals out. Maybe use a half door? Bottom half is locked with the top half opened? Close both when he is napping during the day and if he is in bed before you and husband, it open the top door when you go to bed. That way you can hear and see in but won’t be able to get out.

2 Likes

I put baby hats outside their doors when they were younger. Seemed to work for mine.

Gate or alarm. My uncle has an alarm on his daughter’s door that goes off when her door gets opened.

1 Like

Put a lock on the door knob. Like those ones that go around the handle. Put it on the inside of his door so he can’t open it. Make sure the windows have screens and are locked.

Get a high baby gate and put it in his doorway. That’s what I did with mine. It’s better than locking him in.

Never EVER put a lock on the outside of the child’s bedroom door! If Child Protective Services ever caught wind of that and came to investigate, you most likely would lose your child at least for a while (we were licensed Foster Parents until a month ago). Use baby gates & monitor, door knob covers, cabinet locks, if you have sliding glass doors, there are very inexpensive plastic locks which can be placed out of reach on the door available at Amazon. Good luck with your little escape artist, we had 1 too and I know that it can be challenging! :slight_smile:

Try a baby gate on his door?

Oh no don’t lock the door what if there was a fire or something heavens permit , but you never know find another way!!!

Sara Geltmacher good idea!

One of those baby door knob covers, or sleep with your door open so you can hear. My daughter had a baby door knob cover until she started staying in her room, now I sleep wth my door partially open so I can hear if she gets up

1 Like

Our 2 year old has a baby gate outside of his bedroom door. So he can open the door and yell for us, but can’t get into dangerous situations while we are sleeping. We also have a camera baby monitor in his room. Now that he’s fully potty trained we leave a toddler potty in his room since he can’t get to the big bathroom while we are sleeping.

We have high gate we’ve had to make adjustments at times when my LO got to tall to unlock it… I don’t think ur allowed to put a lock on the door. I could be mistaken though

sounds like he is sleepwalking

I have no advice. You can’t have a lock on the outside that much I know. We tried the door knob thing and he just takes it off. We also tried the gate, he just climbs it. We didn’t find anything that worked outside of time and teaching. Good luck to you!

A lock on the outside is a big no! That’s a fire hazard! What if he needed to get out or u to get in in a hurry? Maybe a baby gate, or even better, baby proof your home, like put baby locks on your cabinets and other measures for doors that may be a risk.

Use a gate. That’s what we did until we couldn’t and man do I miss it.

1 Like

I have a high baby gate that works great. My 3 year old cant open it ir climb over it. Make sure the arm of the gate is on the outside of the door so he cant use the arm to climb the gate.

I put a gate by my kids bedroom door.they could see stuff but couldn’t get to it.

You can also buy an alarm that just goes off when the door is opened.

4 Likes

Put an alarm on his door so you will hear it when he opens it. They sell them cheap at Walmart.
It is a fire hazard to have a child locked in a bedroom.

1 Like

Also, is he asleep or awake when he does this stuff? If hes asleep you may need to do a sleep study. If hes awake why does he feel the need to sneak food? Usually locking food creates more food insecurity.

Try buying or rigging up an alarm system of sorts, so you know when he’s opening his door. Don’t lock it.

Put an alarm on the door that way when he opens the door it will wake you up as well.

1 Like

Use one those baby gates that mount to the door frame so you can leave the door open just Incase if emergency but he won’t be able to open the door to it

3 Likes

Fire hazard not to mention CPS would have a field day with that. Use a gate and if the child climbs it install another one right above it for height. Also door alarms are pretty cheap.

Extra tall baby gate has been great for us. It’s a step through that locks when you need

1 Like

Put a safety gate on for gods sake woman!!! Its not rocket science!!! Good grief where are your brains???

1 Like

Pamela Susan Tasker she’s asking for help not to be mom shamed. What is wrong with you

10 Likes

Get a baby gate to put in his door wsy

Yeah just lock him in his room. He could really get hurt in the night. If u got a baby monitor in his room, lock the door and just keep an eye on him. You could try a baby gate first, they r $10. See if he can’t get over it. If he can then lock his door.

2 Likes

Y’all don’t have monitors to listen when he move?

No, don’t lock him in. Not only is it illegal, but it is a safety hazard in case of fire or emergency. Have you tried those stoppers for on the door knob? They make it hard to turn the knob for little hands. Also can try a tall baby gate that is more difficult to open at his door. Or put a baby gate at top of any stairways. Put hook latches up high on the doors of entryways/exits (garage, front door, back door) or forbidden areas. God forbid he would get outside!

1 Like

Maybe a baby gate in his doorway so he cant get out?

1 Like

Use a cheap door alarm on his door. That way you’re alerted and can stop him but also correct in the moment and explain he can’t do that it’s not safe. I wouldn’t a door lock until ALL other options have been explored.

2 Likes

Have you tried a baby gate at his door? You could also put a motion sensor on the door that goes off.

3 Likes

my 2 year could climb over gate

Then stack another one on top.

Uhm if you stack another thats a potential for that to fall on the child while hes messing with it…that can hurt the baby and also have cps on her case.

Guard gate ? You can still get to him in emergency but it may help him understand boundaries ?

1 Like

We put a baby gate up at the top of the stairs. It works well. When we first started I put two on top if each other to discourage climbing.

2 Likes

Pamela no reason to be rude. Women come on thos page for help and advise. Not to be put down

They have alarms you can buy to put on his door. It will go off if he opens the door

3 Likes

I would never put a lock on his door. He will develop a negativity towards his room which will make things worse. I wouldn’t bring him in your room either as it’ll be hard to separate him into his own room/space later down the road.
I’d suggest using baby gates on his door (and the staircase).

3 Likes

Cps will consider locking him in at night as child abuse. I know someone who would do that at night because his kids got into everything he lost his kids. It is a safety concern having it lock from the outside

2 Likes

I think he’d get over a baby gate if he’s this adventurous…
What about those doors that are in half?
A door on top, & one on bottom?
Then you could leave the bottom closed & the top open.

2 Likes

Pamela Susan Tasker well, you’re not rude at all. How many 2 year olds do you know that don’t try to climb over a gate?

I locked our daughter in her room after she got out and into dangerous stuff. The only reason I feel safe with it was bc her room was right across the hall from hers. I knew I could get there immediately if there was an emergency.

Lock him in my granddaughter is 3 lives with us and has done that we lock her in!!!

2 Likes

Baby monitor? Then you’ll hear him getting up and will be able to go in and find out what’s going on… Another thing - is he sleep-walking?

3 Likes

DON’T lock him in his room, I beg you! Our pediatrician told us to do that with our son. He is 50 years old now and still has nightmares occasionally from it and I still have guilt over it! Try everything else first. I will pray for you. Something will work and remember, you’re doing the best you can. I’m sure you’re a wonderful mom. Believe in yourself!

Sounds like a climber get locks on all cabinets and fridge.l

1 Like

I’d set up a camera and record baby doing this for a week … compile everything and bring it into cfs and ask them … in order to prevent this what would be legal in your case to keep himself safe and others …

4 Likes

I have he same problem with my daughter, she’s learned how to unlocked the deadbolt and is y’all enough now at newly 3 to open al the doors including the front so we have a safety lock on the inside of her doorknob so we don’t have to lock her room but she can’t opened it. She knows how to open every baby gate we’ve ever gotten so they never worked for us and even if she learned how to open this lock her hands are too small to maneuver it. Her room is open at all times except when she’s sleeping and we have video baby monitors so we know she’s safe and ok. My biggest fear is that she will get out of the house in the middle of the night and I not realize it so I’d much rather be viewed as a “bad mom” and have her safe and sound :blush:good luck!

7 Likes

I would be really scared of him getting out of the house in the middle of the night. I would lock him in. If you have a monitor I think that’s totally fine.

4 Likes

Get a motion monitor for the door that’ll go off if he leaves his room

4 Likes

Baby gate! My oldest did this. I put a baby gate on her door, so I could see hear her. Until she started climbing over it, then I turned the locks around