How to get child to stop biting?

Hello fellow mommas
Any advice on how to get a one year old to stop hitting.

7 Likes

People are gonna disagree with me but I dont care it works, hit them back - not hard - that worked for my kids

12 Likes

1.come down to their level
2.look them in the eyes
3.use a Stern tone (not yelling)
4.tell them “no no you don’t hit.”
Let them know you aren’t playing.
Hitting back doesn’t work, why hit them and tell them not to hit? Pretty dumb…

5 Likes

I usually will pop my one yr old sons hand and look him in the eyes and tell him that he does NOT hit. It works. Now when he wants to hit, most of the time, I can see the wheels turning in his little head thinking about if he should do it or not. He doesn’t.

Everyone is different. We initially would “hit” my daughter back on her hand but she’s got back harder so for her we had to do timeouts or spankings. currently trying g to figure out what works best with our son. And then once it’s all done we make them give a hug and say sorry to whoever they hit. Same process really for any unacceptable behavior. At least in our house. Best of luck!

I made my kids stop NO MATTER WHERE THEY WERE and sit on their hands. I told them hands are not for hitting and it you hit, you sit. They’ve sat in grocery stores, parking lots, restaurants, etc. Inconvenienced other people…yes, stopped the hitting fast…yes! This works…not hitting back!

2 Likes

Hit them back. So They can see that it doesn’t feel nice so they understand that it hurts when they hit. My little sister used to bite ALL the time so my grandma bit her back once and she never bit anyone again.

5 Likes

Old school it works lol

3 Likes

Ask him why he is hitting. Work on finding effective ways for him to express is emotions. With young ones, they often do not know how to express their feeling so acting out their feelings comes out in hitting or other bad behaviors. It is okay for him to be upset, sad, mad, etc. but he needs to learn how to communicate those emotions. Even if he doesn’t get what he wants.

Don’t let them hit at all every time they hit you even if it is just a tap grab their arm gently put it down by their side and say don’t hit if they continue to hit put them away from you ( put them down) and walk away, if it is safe to do so, my daughter stopped hitting me when I did this consistently.

Redirect them and tell them no it may take a bit but it works

Hit him back. It’s the only thing that I has ever worked on any of mine.

2 Likes

Ignore or tell him/her off & say no in a stern voice.

At 5 months old my son started pulling hair for the reaction loved it thought it was the funniest thing in the world I would tell him no and tap his hands no pull hair my family would get mad and step in now my son is 18 months old and likes to hit kick bite and pull hair when he gets mad or tired… I shouldn’t have let my family say he’s just a baby he doesn’t understand because now he understands if mommy has to count to five he’s gonna get a whooping if he doesn’t let go it take maybe a day of bad behavior for them to understand the counting but they learn and my son is not just a baby that doesn’t understand… he know what he can get away with and whom to do it with

1 Like

I’m not antihit over here but I think alot of you need to take in consideration the age of the child. But I do think spankings should be for kids 3and up. Just my opinion though.

I tapped mine on the hand. After about 3 of 4 taps i guess they realized they didnt like being hit. So they stopped. I did with both my daughter and son but of course my son had to test me worst than she did. Whatever you decide to do, BE CONSISTENT

2 Likes

Withdraw priviledge. Be consistent.

1 Like

It is a stage they all go through around that age. What we did was send him to timeout for 30 secs to one min and explain to him what he did isnt ok. And that worked than around 2 he started pinching and hitting again and we smacked his hand with a stern no than timeout

1 Like

redirect and “award” them for good behavior. i think its dumb to hit a kid and tell them no hitting. it definitely didnt stop me from hitting when i was a kid. it makes them think its actually ok to continue whay they are doing.

1 Like

Hit him back😂 not full strength though

(barely) hit him/her back sorry but they don’t realize what they’re doing until they experience it themselves let them know

As soon as he hits, put him in his bed/crib or timeout

Telling them no doesnt work my daughter will continue to do it and laugh at you when you tell her to stop we put our 1yr old in timeout and smack her hand. Thats the problem with kids these days people are to soft on them and thats why kids act the way the do

3 Likes

We also teach our kids if you dont want it done to you then dont do it

3 Likes

They got a mouth full of your face or arm or finger, or a hand full of hair pulling so hard …u do "WHAT??

I say do it back to them , they’ll see how it hurts

1 Like

I’d say “ow” and pop him right back on the hand just hard enough to be unpleasant and tell him “no you don’t hit”. When my kids were younger I’d say “ow, that hurts you don’t hit”, then if he did it again (usually did, they never hit us just once) if put him down and walk away from him (if it’s safe and you reasonably can obviously) and tell him again “ow, no you don’t hit”. Same with biting.

Not everything works for everyone. I’m currently going thru it again with my daughter, popping her hand doesn’t work, she thinks it’s funny. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yelp LOUDLY like hurt pup, then cry like a hurt baby. Trust his or her instincts. Might work if you haven’t ruined them already.

1 Like

Bite them back, old way, but it works

1 Like

spank that ass. When he hits an you tell him to stop an he don’t. you take control. show him you are not playing. There is also time out For him it’s one minute per age.

My baby girl is going through it u say no and if they do it again its time out 1 minute per age thats what I do and now I dont even need to follow through the threat of timeout gets her to stop

1 Like

Hit him back and say it hurts don’t it! If you don’t fix it now, you’re gonna have a little brat on your hands that nobody is going to want to be around.

A consistent NO and timeout. The baby is one and still learning for years to come.
Hitting/spanking is not a solution all your teaching his/her little mind is at that moment is not to trust you and that hitting is in fact okay.
I’m a mom of 4 I’ve never had to spank I’ve found other ways! Patience and consistency.

1 Like

Are you all literal idiots?? You are going to hit a 1 year old back? One. SMH.