How to get kids to hustle in sports?

I have a 7 year old who plays soccer, but I seriously go insane watching him play. He is so blah about it! Granted I’m very competitive and he is more chill by nature, but how do I get him to really want it and hustle out there?

141 Likes

Back off buster… you’re not going to ‘make’ him want it the way you do. It’s not his nature, if he isn’t interested in being numero uno he’s not interested. Let him enjoy the sport at his level and don’t try to relive your competitiveness through him… it’ll just bite you in the butt and drive a wedge between you and your son. Love him, support him and when he finds what he wants to excel at, he’ll hustle… it may not be something you ever considered and it may totally surprise you and it may not be sports.

Have you asked if there’s something else they would rather do? Soccer might not be it… or putting pressure via competitive parents might be taking the fun out of it… or both :woman_shrugging:t3:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-to-get-kids-to-hustle-in-sports/12146

If he’s not into it, it’s not going to happen. Maybe there is another sport he’d like to play instead.

1 Like

Maybe he’s not into it? Try finding an activity he’s interested in.

1 Like

Have you talked to him about if he even likes playing soccer? :joy: Just because you were competitive and liked sports doesn’t mean he will. Maybe go around town and get a bunch of options/share activity choices and let him pick.

10 Likes

If he’s not into it then don’t force it :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Stop trying to force it. Just because you are competitive and want him in sports, doesn’t mean that’s what he wants to do.

4 Likes

Does he enjoy Soccer? My daughter is very blah when it comes to most things, but she really enjoyed and put her all into cheer. Maybe find something he actually likes. Maybe he would be better off in something less competitive.

2 Likes

Don’t push him. Usually that’s a sign of uninterest

2 Likes

you don’t if he’s not into it doesn’t make him any less of a boy nor does a girl playing football make her any less than a girl let him find his own way

1 Like

Either he is shy or he doesn’t want too

The more you push, the more they pull.
You’re likely to make him want to give it up, but if he’s not showing any ambition to it then it’s likely he doesn’t want to do it anyways.

6 Likes

Is he actually interested in it?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not something he enjoys. I was hoping my kids would enjoy football. They really didn’t, so I took them out and will let them find their own passion. Try and find something else he might enjoy more 🤷

4 Likes

He’s 7 let him have fun

10 Likes

I feel like you need to find what he likes. If they truly want to do it they will do it without effort. My nephew has done everything under the sun he’s figured he likes skiing but only wants to do it so when he’s a teenager and his friends are working at mc ds he’s going to be doing ski lessons. :rofl::rofl:

Here’s what you do—especially at his age—> you :zipper_mouth_face: and allow him to play HIS game. Easy peasy!!

Alternatively, talk to him & ask if there’s something different he’d enjoy more &/or look into different options to broaden his experiences with sports.

Also, if you’re competitive and he isn’t; go join an adult league…& STILL :zipper_mouth_face: & allow him to play HIS game.

20 Likes

Find a sport or extra curricular activity that he actually shows passion and enthusiasm for. If he isn’t really into soccer and only playing because he thinks it is what you want or because it is what you want. Even if he “likes” soccer it doesn’t mean he truly enjoys playing it and in turn won’t put his best into it. Talk to him and find out if it is truly what he enjoys and wants.

3 Likes

Uhmm, did he want to play… or did you want him to play?

6 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t enjoy playing the sport? I would ask him maybe he wants to do some kind of other sport or activity? I HATEDD playing sports as a kid.

2 Likes

Mine sat in goal and looked for 4 leaf clovers…. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

maybe he’s just not that into soccer. I only hustle when I have a good reason to hustle— let him choose his hustle

3 Likes

Leave him be, cheer him on & chill out. Sheesh.

7 Likes

Put him in somethin he
Loves next season and watch the difference

1 Like

He has to want to be there. Maybe talk with him and find something he’s interested in that active…. I used to be the girl in the outfield at softball that picked flowers and spun in circles cause I hated being there and my parents wanting me there wasn’t gonna change it :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Just let him be good grief. He’s fricking 7 years old. At this age it’s actually not competitive whatsoever it’s just for fun. So either let him play like he wants or you drop him off at the games and just sit in your vehicle and not watch since it’s upsetting you that he’s not hustling out there.

8 Likes

It’s about him, not you, having a good time, learning to follow the coaches directions, and being a team player is what a 7 year old should be doing.

6 Likes

You don’t. You can’t project yourself, your wants or your competitive nature onto your child. The time for you to live your dreams is during your hobbies, not on your child’s soccer field.

10 Likes

He’s is frigging 7, geeeeez!

1 Like

Let him take part in a sport he enjoys

1 Like

Ummmm find him something he’s interested in?

I think the real question is how do I approach my son to see if he’s enjoying playing soccer? And how do I manage my own emotions?

18 Likes

Speed and agility training

I came to comment but everyone already said what I was going to say.

Let him play like he wants to leave him alone let him enjoy himself and just maybe he don’t even want to play sports at all

2 Likes

I’d say he’s not enjoying as much as you are.

3 Likes

he may not have the desire to lay soccer, try other sports to see if he is more comfortable with them

If he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like it. Not everyone likes sports. If you are having to force it, it’s not for him.

3 Likes

If he doesn’t like it and doesn’t want to be in sports that he doesn’t like it and doesn’t want to be in sports. My son turned 15 this year and is a superb athlete in anything that he does but isn’t the least bit interested. He’s almost 6 foot two and could care less about being on a team. He likes to play sports but doesn’t want to be on a team.

This happened with me recently and my son. He didn’t care and would even dance on the field. He has always loved football. He just started football and his passion for it makes him strive so hard. Where as before he could care less, now he does 2 intense hours of practice a night with no complaints.

I went to my 7yo first soccer game yesterday….he mostly picked flowers in the field. I still cheered him on :woman_shrugging::sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t want to be there. Allow your child to be themselves.

2 Likes

My 6yo is the same. He loves baseball, he is actually the starting catcher on his team! I’m saying this because it’s not a problem of him not wanting to be there.

I am overly competitive, my kiddo is not he just enjoys the game. His league this year didn’t even keep a score book. :woman_shrugging:

I finally got angry one day and said something like ‘you need to move faster, this is ridiculous!’ He in his 6yo glory in middle of the game turned to me took his helmet off and said, “I like this speed” the Ref looked stunned, but continued on with a shrug.

He does have the capability to move faster he just chooses to go as a slower speed.

After that game I asked him, why. He said when he grows up he is gonna be like his bigger brother, (that plays competition ball) and thats why he is saving he is speed. Kiddos think differently then we do.

I would ask him open ended questions to make sure he is actually liking soccer. If he really is, explain how important it is to play your spot with all you have. Your team depends on all players, and being faster could help your team.
I would also talk about always knowing you are there to talk, just because you are competitive, does not make your child. As a competitive mom it’s hard to hear, but our kids need our support, no matter what.

Sounds like he’s playing because you’re making him, not because he wants to. Talk to him. Ask him if he’d rather do something else or nothing at all. Let go of your completive nature. Let him be him & have fun.

4 Likes

Let him pick something he loves and not force him into something you love

2 Likes

Maybe soccer isn’t for him! Has he tried any other sports? Maybe baseball would be more his speed?

By being a supportive parent & going with the flow. Maybe he doesn’t like said sport. Maybe he doesn’t like sports at all.

1 Like

I’d say a try something else kids will naturally get really into something if they really like the sport I’ve learned so he may not be enjoying it as much

You can’t force a kid to have a passion about something. We are all different, unique people. If he isn’t very inspired by the sport then ask him what he WOULD be inspired to do. Brace yourself - because it may not be a sport at all. It might be art or music or even just learning - or anything else.

6 Likes

Find a sport he WANTS to play

2 Likes

Find something he’s actually interested in… Then you will see him get excited about what he’s doing

1 Like

Dont force your child to play something there not interested in, just because you want it dont mean he does.

2 Likes

I would say you need to back off and maybe realize the kid may not be interested. It’s great to encourage your kids but its not ok to force them to do activities they may not like just so you can live vicariously through them lol

2 Likes

He probably doesn’t want to or care to play! You cannot force him. Find something HE likes to do!

1 Like

Ask him does he want to play soccer ( which I hope you did first) may not be his thing .ask them what he likes to do

Sports just might not be his thing or at least soccer might not be for him. Find a sport he likes. Also keep in mind some kids do better at sports where it’s mostly just them competing like swimming or golf.

Maybe it’s not something he’s not interested in doing.

2 Likes

Some kids are not competitive. I never was, and even at 30, still not competitive. :woman_shrugging: if he still enjoys it, don’t force him to be competitive, it might make him hate the game or resent you for it. Or maybe, soccer isn’t for him.

4 Likes

Don’t force your kid to play soccer. Sounds to me like he doesn’t enjoy it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

You don’t. Don’t force them to do YOUR hobbies.

3 Likes

Maybe he doesnt want it…:thinking: how about you let him choose what he wants to do

4 Likes

Sounds like he is not really into the sport. When he finds what he likes he will shine. Maybe sit down and talk with him about what he likes and try those sports. He may just not like to play sports at all. But you cannot force him or want him to play at your level, he is still very young. Just find out what really interests him and bring your competitive level way down. It will all work out.

2 Likes

You can’t lol you can be excited and support him but also just ask if he is having fun and enjoying playing… If he’s having fun then it’s worth it but if he doesn’t then why have him play he might just excell in other areas like band or computer. You could put him in cub scouts too I enrolled my boys and they are having a blast, also I’m trying sports for the first time. One wants to play football and the other soccer lol why not

3 Likes

Find a different sport. One he actually wants to play.

4 Likes

Is it a sport he chose or you? Are YOU helping him condition outside of practice? Are you properly nourishing his body? Feeding him like the athlete you want him to be? Is he drinking enough water? Getting in enough micronutrients? Getting enough sleep? Are you practicing it yourself? Be a student of your child! He’s 7! An athlete doesn’t happen over night.

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t like it and he’s just in it cuz ur competitive and think he should be like you , find something he likes I bet he’ll have more motivation

6 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t like it. Don’t force your kid into activities they don’t care about.

3 Likes

He’s 7 chill out geez

3 Likes

Don’t force it… if his heart isn’t in it, try another sport…

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t wanna play

1 Like

Find a sport he likes.
If he isn’t as competition driven, leave him alone. Trust me. Pushing won’t do squat but screw with his bead. If it’s something he truly wants, he’ll go for it.

2 Likes

Stop living through your kids and let them live their own life.

10 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t enjoy it? I would ask him. If not do something he wants. Alot of times kids think they want to do a sport but end up not liking it. Don’t push him he may not like it.

2 Likes

Agree with most. Ask your son (well actually if you are in tune with him) you shouldn’t need to ask. Get into what he likes you will get much more enjoyment :blush::hugs: and so will he :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

You dont. You find what your kid has passion for and support that.

4 Likes

Maybe he dont like it as much as you do. Did he want to play or did you want him to play? Dont force a kid to play a sport he or she dont want to. Just going to cause problem n a chance of them getting hurt on the field

3 Likes

Find something HE wants to play and I’m sure he’ll be more active

10 Likes

I have a child who is not “standard competitive” that LOVES to play soccer. However, he has had a few “bad” seasons because he had coaches before that focused on WINNING, hustling, and overcorrecting all the time. He hates that! As soon as the coach got too serious/competitive, my son would just turn OFF. He knows that the true goal of sports is to have FUN and too much focus and pressure causes him to lose joy in it. When we have a coach (and parents) that are about the fun and teaching skills through FUN, he thrives. I know my son so I never tell him to hustle or give direction. He is who he is and I love watching him learn the sport, support teammates, and make friends. I tell him before games to “go have fun”, “cheer for your friends”, etc. During the game I cheer my head off for not just my kid but every kid out there (nothing negative). After the game I don’t give feedback, I just tell him how much fun he was to watch and bring up any positive things that happened during the game. So don’t be competitive because if this is something he enjoys… your nature might very well be ruining it for him.

6 Likes

You cant make him be into something hes not into lol. Sports are just supposed to be for fun.

3 Likes

Does he even want to play?

4 Likes

My nephew had this issue in baseball would just stand in the outfield not paying attention. Also believe because he had really bad eyes and glasses that the couch didn’t use him as much. Reason for him being so bored with it. Maybe try another sport that’s what we did. Bol.

Maybe he just doesn’t like to compete. My son started wrestling at 4 he did 3 seasons and we’re on the fence if we’ll have him do it again. I’m thinking of having him try track or gymnastics. He’s not a very competitive.

1 Like

He probably doesn’t want to live out your sports dreams for you. See what he wants to do.

6 Likes

Does he even want to play or is it that you want him to play? Kids aren’t going to hustle at anything unless they like doing it. Maybe nix the pitch and try a different sport or activity that he wants to try or do, see if he reacts differently. Sports are supposed to be fun, and if he’s not having that while out there then its just a why bother wasting his time when he could be having fun doing something else.

2 Likes

You don’t and let the kid do its own thing

4 Likes

Hope all my pics help you, it is all about your kid NOT YOU!!!

2 Likes

Is this about you or your child?! :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Here in lies the dilemma. Let him do something else that he himself enjoys. The enthusiasm comes from the love of that which you are doing.

4 Likes

Put him in something he (not you) is passionate about.

6 Likes

Maybe he is not into competive sports. Maybe he just wants to have fun and by pushing him to be competive you risk himlosing all interest. Also at 7 he is still learning the game and might be trying to figure it out still.

He is 7. Let him be a freaking kid. Don’t try to live vicariously through your kid.

4 Likes

You leave him tf alone :unamused:

7 Likes

He probably don’t care for the sport and just does it for you. Ask him if he’s still having fun. Ans actually listen, If not let him get off the team and find something more to his liking. I don’t care for the super competitive stuff that sports teach. Also so much pressure in competitive sports.

1 Like

Find something he wants to do.

2 Likes

Put him a sport that he actually wants to play
FYI he doesn’t enjoy playing soccer

2 Likes

You can’t. Stop living thru your kids. If you’re competitive join a sports team yourself.

12 Likes

I fell the same way with my 10 year old lol. He loves soccer but this past spring he just would only hustle when he had the ball. But it might just be he needs to increase his endurance and I know that my son needs to as well being out of soccer for 2 years because of covid cancelling last year

He’s prob not into it. And that’s ok. Let him have his own interests. He is allowed to be his own person.

2 Likes