How to get kids to hustle in sports?

Put him in something he enjoys

1 Like

I think you should take him out of soccer/sports all together.

You can make them want to play. This just sounds selfish.

1 Like

If he’s “blah” about it… then he’s probably not interested in playing.
There are tons of other sports or other activities he can do. If he doesn’t like soccer, let him try something different…

3 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t like it. Or sports in general and there is nothing wrong with that maybe he will end up more interested in something else.

Like arts, theater, journalism not all kids are into sports.

1 Like

Is this a sport he chose?

2 Likes

You don’t. That’s simply not his personality. Accept him as he is, a kid playing for fun.

6 Likes

He probably doesn’t wanna be in the sport.

1 Like

Maybe try another sport May not like soccer

Find something he WILL hustle for

1 Like

If he doesn’t want to do it then leave him alone. Stop pushing him to do something he doesn’t want to do. If you’re excited about soccer then you go play. Let him pick an activity he actually likes. Kids don’t have to be in sports at all if they don’t like it.

5 Likes

My son plays sports because he’s good to his mama and I really think it’s part of a well balanced life. We are at every game but he dosent always get fully involved but still on field feels like we just just show up half the time, he may get his feet on the ball he may not. But he’s part of the team enjoys the other kids, very good team player and listens to his coach all good skills he’s learnt by just being a part of the team. Your boy may be a really good supporting player! All these roles are needed, not everyone can be the star.

1 Like

Don’t be the ahole parents screaming from the sidelines :roll_eyes: Maybe he just isn’t that into sports as you are. Don’t make him be someone he isn’t

6 Likes

At that age it’s about developing skills and learning to work as a team. As they get older it’s about competition and learning to win and lose gracefully.

If he wanted to, he would he’s obviously not enjoying it. You don’t need to be competitive for him.

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t like soccer. Put him in a better sport if he wants to play one? Lol…

2 Likes

Try another sport. Find something he enjoys and has that natural drive to do. My two both begged to play tball. They both did one season and called it quits. It’s boring to them BUT give them a couple pieces of bread or some worms for fishing and watch them light up and be pissed when it’s time to leave

Does he even want to play or is he doing cause mom wants him to

6 Likes

It sounds to me your son not enjoying sport it’s what you want

3 Likes

I read the first sentenced and am shocked he is a child let him enjoy himself.

1 Like

You have a SEVEN year old.
You let him enjoy himself!

4 Likes

You can’t force him to “want it” :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Find him a sport he wants to play

2 Likes

Stop trying to live through him

2 Likes

There’s nothing you can do :woman_shrugging:t2: some kids just don’t like sports my parents tried and tried with me and my sister lol I’m more of a stay indoors and paint or read type of girl

Maybe that’s not his sport. Let him try a different sport he would be more into. Also cheer for him. I see that alot at games parents not even paying attention. My 7 yr old daughter is in soccer and is super good and loves to be cheered on and encouraged. I cheer for other kids bc there parents aren’t and they get all excited and happy.

Maybe teach him how to play chess. He can use his mind and you get to see him compete :wink:

Find something he actually likes

2 Likes

maybe he doesn’t like it much. ask him if he’d rather play a different sport or maybe something more academic like art club or get into photography

Maybe your insane attitude is putting him off

3 Likes

Far out ow sounds like yiure forcing the poor kid why don’t you play instead :joy::joy::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

My 8 year old plays soccer and she’s honestly the best player on her team I too am quite competitive but atleast I knowmy daughter loves the sport if she didn’t and I was trying to force it on her that would only make me one thing. A d*** head :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t like it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Stop trying to relive your childhood through your child and forcing him to play so competitively and let him have fun!

6 Likes

Choose another sport lol

Only if they want to play in their heart, will they play with determination. At that age, very few play with any urgency. I coached that age group and often it’s simply outside their compression. Sports = fun
I once had a team of girls where 1 girl made 90% of the goals because she was insanely fast. I wanted them to learn to play as a team and work together. I challenged the entire team to pass the ball; top 3 would get a prize. I had a parent tallie each girl for one game. They played phenomenal! They were running to be open and they were looking for their teammates. They played as a team and scored as a team. I continued with small prizes for the top 3 passers for the remainder of our games.
I also coached boys that age (a few yrs later) and it worked too.

Maybe ask him what HE wants to do instead of forcing your bullshit on him. My 9 year old is now just kinda getting into sports. We are trying camps and whatnot before he can play on a team. Otherwise he is very much a tech kid and a lego kid. He loves riding his 4 wheeler and dirt bike. Not every kid likes sports and thats okay

It’s about him, not you, you need to let him find his own interests and not do something just because you want it. If he’s not really interested then you’ll just have to accept it and find out what HE likes

6 Likes

Leave him alone and let him play how he wants. He’s seven. You need to deal with your own issues and leave your kid out of it. He’s his own person not a means for you to get validation vicariously.

2 Likes

Sounds like he isn’t interested in that sport, or he lacks the skills and confidence. I.d talk to him and ask if there’s a sport he.d prefer to play or if he wants some practice with you to gain his skills and confidence! Not every child is into sport. :woman_shrugging:

You dont he is him not you, he plays how he wants too not how you think he should do. Take your own attitude and back it up.

6 Likes

You don’t.

You ask him if it’s something he enjoys and wants to continue doing, or if there is another sport/ Hobbie he would like to try.

It’s about him,not you

1 Like

It’s a game ffs. And he’s 7! Christ… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Maybe he doesnt want to play?

3 Likes

Erm… leave him alone… if he is enjoying himself leave him to it… I hate when parents try to live through their kids :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-to-get-kids-to-hustle-in-sports/12146

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-to-get-kids-to-hustle-in-sports/12146

Maybe he is just not into it. People will hustle if they’re passionate about something.

Plus he is 7. Slightly concerned if you’re this concerned at that age. Seems a bit dramatic and controlling or like you’re trying to live through your child. He’s his own person.

188 Likes

You don’t. He’s 7 and just learning the dynamics of playing any sport. If he likes it he will get into it. Don’t force him to be more into it, that just may push him away from sports in general because he will know how you would act.

25 Likes

Eh. My 6 year old begged to be in football and he was kinda bad at it lol. Didn’t pay attention and played with grass but hey he had a blast and that’s all that matters to me. If he doesn’t wanna play next time we won’t sign him up and if he does, sure. It’s little kid stuff not that serious.

13 Likes

Sports are about learning to work as a team, not winning. He probably doesn’t like it. My sister and her husband push my nephew into sports and he resents them for it because he likes science.

12 Likes

If you’re so competitive, maybe try swimteam with the kiddo. Non-contact sports may work better for him. But, there’s more to sports than just winning. Even if you don’t say anything outright, he probably senses your frustration and disappointment in his performance. When signing up the kiddo for extracurriculars ask yourself “is this for me, or is it for him?” It’s almost like gifting an item you LOVE, but missed the mark entirely for the recipient.

3 Likes

You dont he’s not playing for you he’s playing for him and it sounds like he doesn’t really want to play let him do his thing out there

4 Likes

Find him a different sport or team activity to try. Doesn’t sound like he really enjoys it. I personally don’t think we should force our kids to do sports if they aren’t interested. I was pretty much forced to and it made me dislike it even more. I have always been more creative and artistic and I wish I was allowed to explore my talents more when I was growing up

1 Like

You don’t. PERIOD. Question ? Is playing soccer something your kid likes/wants to do?? Or is it more YOU living through your kid? LOOK, if they aren’t interested then that’s it. You then help them find a sport/activity/interest that the DO love want to be apart of. let them be who they are. Not who you WANT them to be.

9 Likes

Let him play or do the extra curricular of his own choice. Sounds like he doesn’t like soccer. Maybe he doesn’t enjoy sports :woman_shrugging:

45 Likes

Does he have other interests?? Painting, drawing dancing anything? My son loved soccer so he was passionate when he played, he started at 6 went till 8, but then decided he didn’t want to play again, I didn’t force him. Maybe if he’s not hustling out there he’s not interested. Also, he is 7. I feel at this age it should be about fun, not winning and being the best. He is only a child for so long, let him be little.

1 Like

It’s SO HAAARD! My husband and I are UBER competitive. Like in everything. So far we are 0/4 on our kids being that way. Maybe it will come later, but it’s not them, yet.
I have had to really learn to accept them for them, and encourage them, and not scream and freak out on the sidelines. They are their own person, not who we hope them to be, so nurture that, and try and find things you can relate on, maybe sport isn’t it. Or maybe he will be a star one day, but if you push, it’s much less likely. I know kids who have been super talented but quit, cuz their Dad or mom was so overbearing, it took away their love for the game.

3 Likes

Have you asked him if he still wants to do the sport? I know some kids won’t hustle if they don’t like the sport or want to do it anymore.

4 Likes

I always asked my kid if he wanted to play the sport when sign up came around. I encouraged him to try each sport but never told him he had to. Half the time he’s ask me before I asked him about it. I had only one rule, you sign up then you play the whole season and if you like it great and if not great. You have to finish what you start but if it’s not your thing we don’t sign up next year

102 Likes

Maybe just let him enjoy the sport, at that age they need to learn and use basics. If he feels pressure from you to be the best and competitive he may not like the sport at all.

79 Likes

It’s for fun. Your son doesn’t need to be competitive just because you are. How horrible. Don’t you know how many kids feel pressured to be something they’re not because of competitive parents? Don’t know know how sad some kids become of feeling pressure? Sickens me honestly. Just let your child have fun. Sports aren’t only about winning.:roll_eyes:

59 Likes

Either let him enjoy it, or if he doesn’t like it take him out of it. Don’t force him to do a sport because YOURE competitive.
Let him pick something he likes.

40 Likes

You don’t. Sorry. My opinion. But leave him alone. Just because your athletic and competitive doesn’t mean he has to be.

111 Likes

As a kid my folks tried getting me into sports but I wasn’t interested and nothing was going to change that.

Was it his choice to play? Does he love it? I’d talk to him about it to see what’s going on

2 Likes

He’s probably not hustling because he simply isn’t as interested as you are. He’s very young - I would take a step back and ask him if he likes to play - maybe give him some other options besides a sport. My parents never pressured me into sports or extracurricular activities when I was a kid. I did play different sports, but when I wanted to quit and do something different my parents were always supportive and just helped me find something else I liked. Just talk to him. Best :heart:

3 Likes

We actually have the same problem with our 12 yr old who loves soccer. Asks to play every year, every summer and fall but he isn’t very good. He thinks he is but it so painful to watch. He plays recreational but wants to be on the high school team in a couple years. Their school is very competitive and he will actually have to try out. No way will he make it. His dad try working with him but the kid just plain isn’t good. I don’t know what to do about it either other than keep letting him play and supporting him and hope he finds a new love soon as most kids eventually do🤷🏼‍♀️

6 Likes

Not everyone is the same maybe your kid isn’t interested maybe try something else

5 Likes

I don’t think you can make him be more active maybe he’s just not that into soccer you should let him pick a sport he’s interested in

1 Like

I would take a step back and help him to enjoy the sport. If you push him he might associate negative feelings with the sport and quit for good. Maybe he doesn’t like it try offering another sport after soccer season.

11 Likes

You don’t. You let the coach coach. You let the kid do his best to follow along. And you stand on the sidelines with the other moms sipping iced coffee and zip it. You cheer and smile if he does a thing, even a little thing, and you do NOT make it about you. Keep it fun and keep your competitiveness kicked to the curb for your kid.

53 Likes

Maybe stop being so competitive and let him play something he wants to and enjoys instead of the anxiety and pressure of trying to live up to your own expectations and feeling like a failure…love your baby…:100:

5 Likes

It sounds forced upon him. I feel like kids should only do sports if that is what they want to do, not because YOU want them to do it.

4 Likes

You can’t make someone be something they aren’t, if he’s not into it, you can’t make him be into it, by the time a child is 2 or 3 they already have established personality, don’t try to change someone, you’ll both end up unhappy

4 Likes

It sounds like you’re placing your wants/needs on a 7 year old. You admit you have differences. Celebrate and accept those differences and let your child be 7. They don’t start out being aggressive (especially if their heart isn’t in it, or they don’t quite follow the game). At least your child wants to try something. Let them try at their own pace. We can learn so much from children…being chill is one of those things.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was a coach, a ref, and played soccer for 20 years. For the majority of 7 year olds, soccer is about the treats at practice and games and the fact that their friends are playing. As they get older, it becomes apparent which kids are there for playing soccer.
Let him play, to the best of his ability. A good coach teaches fundamentals, and at some point, you will know if it is his talent or not.

2 Likes

Your child is not you … repeat as needed. Don’t ruin his experience because you want him to act like you.

4 Likes

If he doesn’t want to play or doesn’t enjoy the sport, let him pick something else like basketball, horseback riding, etc. He’s at the age where he may be developing different interests and things may be changing with him🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

He’s not you- after you realize this it will all fall in place.

5 Likes

You can’t…. He has to want it.

9 Likes

He is only 7. Let him enjoy it. Don’t make such a big deal about it. At that age they are figuring it and learning and still feeling things out and all of that. If you take it too serious he might not enjoy it as much. It’s not always about being the best and winning. It’s important to enjoy it as well and appreciate it. Or maybe it’s not his thing and he hasn’t found it yet… trust me plenty of time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Um, you don’t. What does he want to actually be doing?

4 Likes

Maybe that’s just not his option to be in soccer it must be what you want maybe find a sport he would love to do and he is interested in instead of what it seems forcing him to be in soccer if a kid loves a sport and they really enjoy it then they are gonna play with their whole heart

1 Like

Maybe he doesnt want it. Maybe he’d rather play an instrument or take an art class. You could also join a sport team if you love sports instead of living vicariously through your kids. It’s important to support the things they’re interested in instead of trying to make them something they’re not.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s not enjoying it? He’s still little, let him have fun. Who cares if his team wins or loses. That’s just how I am and my kids have done sports. While they’re little it should just be fun for them not a huge competition.

3 Likes

Sounds like he may not even be interested in playing the sport… maybe try something he’s more interested in.

1 Like

Does he like the sport or is he blah because he doesn’t like it. Find the answer-if he is not liking, make him finish the season and find something else. Cheer the team on and don’t single him out-maybe he doesn’t like that and is embarrassed. Talk to him about giving his best but not in a negative way-we need to give our best in all things-and let the coach do the rest

1 Like

Maybe he doesn’t like the sport and let him try another one. You can’t make your child Do a sport if they really aren’t wanting to. It makes it harder on them. There are so many other extracurricular activities out there these days.

1 Like

It’s about learning, team playing, confidence, this is something he will gain but you need to let him do it at his own pace , Don’t push too much as it needs to be positive approach , sometime certain sports don’t fit them may need too change, Ask him if he’s comfortable in this sport does he feel supported comfortable,

My 4 year old decided to lay down in the middle of the field and pick the perfect blades of grass to throw at people in the middle of our soccer match. :soccer::woman_shrugging: I just laughed, shook my head, and kept coaching the other kids. Some kids may just not be into it :joy:
At 7 years old, I’d ask if they really wanted to play or if we could find something that would interest them more.

I’ve had kids in sports since tball age. Even after a sport started and they weren’t into the hustle, I still made them see the season through. Encourage and lead by example. If they see uour passion for something they will develop the same passion into something they are interested in. My oldest played soccer for 4 years. Wasn’t passionate so we didn’t sign him up again. My middle child. Ball player to her core. She signed up for tball and fell in love with sports! She plays softball and bball. Tried soccer. Wasnt for her. Just encourage and let them try new things. He will find that hustle eventually!

You don’t, you let him be a kid, enjoy playing, having fun. Don’t be one of those parents who flip out on the sidelines embarrassing their kids and themselves.

1 Like

Don’t go for a few weeks and don’t mention it and show too much enthusiasm on it for a while…it may be too much pressure. if he’s in to it he will start to show interest and enthusiasm on his own and if he doesn’t than just accept it and try something else.

Maybe he doesn’t like soccer, ask him if he does or wants to try others sports.

1 Like

You can’t. Specially if it’s something he doesn’t enjoy. He is his own little person. Let him be.

1 Like

Maybe try finding a sport or activity he likes more? I remember wanting to quit softball so bad and my mom making me do it. I just wanted to play outside with my friends, not go to practice several times a week all summer. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If you want competition, you play. If its not his thing, find something else that sparks his interest.

1 Like

Don’t make him do what he doesn’t want to do if he’s chill let him chill you can’t expect a kid to wild out when doing something they don’t wanna do

2 Likes

At 7, you don’t. Maybe soccer isn’t his sport, maybe something will fulfill his passion. Maybe he isn’t sporty at all. Children are not an extension of ourselves, they have their own journey. Sorry, but if he isn’t motivated he isn’t going to be with coaxing.

First you should be absolutely sure he wants to play.

2 Likes