How to get kids to hustle in sports?

Dang, let the kid be THEMSELVES, maybe they don’t feel the need to hustle.
You’re gonna make it NOT FUN , please ease up back off and chill . Let the KID BE A KID and HAVE FUN.

1 Like

To be honest people were always freaking out on me for not being competitive. I’m 33 now and still have never been competitive. I am however extremely motivated by things that I’m curious and passionate about so I’m competitive in science.

We are a pretty busy athletic family and at that age you can’t really make them hustle. Maybe baseball or swimming or some other activity is more his speed. My boys have even taken hip-hop dance class and loved it. Just got a find out what he’s into. Where I live they also have Lego clubs, robot clubs pretty much anything the kids are into there’s a club for.

Just accept that he doesn’t want to do it. :woman_shrugging: if you are competitive you can sign up for adult softball or something. Let em finish out the season n try another sport. My husband loves baseball but my son thinks it’s so boring :sleeping: so he finished the season and now we are trying soccer he’s excited about it. I tried bribes, practice together as a family practiced with just dad, watched games on TV and went to see the Astros play a few times and he just doesn’t want to play so oh well

1 Like

As a youth soccer coach and travel league coach I can tell you that at 7 most aren’t ready for the push to hustle or be aggressive in the sport. At that age it should only be about learning the basics and learning ball control. Aggressiveness, hustle, and skill comes with age. They 1st have to find a love for the sport or none of that will happen. Just let him enjoy it and enjoy this time before sports really take hold as it gets much more time consuming as they grow in the sport.

Don’t push your ways on your kid, let them be who they choose to be. You might be athletic and competitive, he may not like sports at all.

He probably isn’t into it and is doing it to please you. Maybe find a different sport. If he doesn’t have a hustle in other sports maybe he isnt an athlete. A lot of laid back people aren’t competitive

You don’t! Maybe he’s not interested Let him take part in something he wants to do not what you want He can’t live your abandoned hopes and dreams

Put him In something he wants to do? Too many parents live a pipe dream through their kids. (Not saying the op is). But just because you are competitive doesn’t mean your kid automatically has to be.

Your kid is only 7! Maybe he doesn’t like soccer! Talk 2 him find out what he likes and push him towards that! Pushing him towards something he doesn’t have an interest in will only make him grow distant from u in the future!

Maybe give it some time. My kids just started soccer. The first few weeks they were sluggish but it’s their first time playing on a team. I’ve noticed that they have picked up pace and more in tune with the game the more they play. I think it was just them reaching their comfort level and being more confident in the game.

If he doesn’t want to do then he’s not going to hustle. It’s as simple as that

Forcing the child to “do more, try harder” will only drive them away from the sport and probably trying other things too! Let kids be kids and leave him alone to figure it out himself. He will be a better rounded person in the end, whether or not he is a great athlete

My son has Zero hustle in baseball, unless he’s running bases lol. I’ve asked him time and time again if he truly enjoys playing and wants to play and keeps telling me yes and wants to play every year. I’ve talked to other parents and they’ve had the same issues and then one year all the sudden they’re in it to win it. He knows if he starts the season he has to finish, but I will never force him into playing sports. Truthfully he’s a computer/gaming geek.:woman_shrugging: what can do you… let them be who they are not who we want them to be. Would I love for him to be all into sports like I was, absolutely but he’s not… is what it is!

Maybe he doesnt love it… maybe he was pushed into it? Some kids show passion about things they’re actually into but most kids just want to have fun… hes 7 years old, don’t be THAT parent at games just let him have fun. Try asking him if he wants to play a different sport, or maybe have a different activity all together. I hate to say it but, it’s not about you… it’s about the kid and his interests and him having fun, parents who push their dreams or hobbies onto their kids who dont want to participate in them are the worst.

If he isn’t hustling it’s probably because he isn’t interested. Do not live through your kids. Let them pick what they want to do and enjoy.

He may not be enjoying it? Some people just aren’t into sports, or being competitive, and that’s okay. If he isn’t having fun, take him out and let him find something he enjoys instead.

Maybe he’s just not into it. Have you talked to him to see what he says maybe he’s into another sport or it’s not his thing at all. My honest opinion is not to push him into doing a sport or anything he’s not into.

It may not be his sport :woman_shrugging:t3: my son dabbled in both baseball and soccer. My in laws are huge baseball fans so he wanted to “make them happy” (his thing no one ever pressured him). He enjoyed having something in common with his Big Poppy. It was MISERABLE watching him in games. He was there physically but mentally and emotionally he was checked out. This year he asked me if I thought anyone would mind if he switched up sports because be had really enjoyed soccer in the past. Of course the entire family encouraged him to follow his dreams (Big Poppy even did research on soccer to be able to talk with him :blue_heart:). He has THRIVED!!! He found his sport. He is so happy and pushes himself!!! I would recommend asking your son what extracurricular activity appeals to him the most!!! He’s only 7 so it may change a few times until he finds his passion!

Ive been having a talk all summer with my son about soccer because he begged to join, I told him he has to give it 100% even if he doesn’t love it because his teammates will be depending on him. He can quit after the season if its not his thing but he cannot drip his effort if his interest isn’t there.

You can’t make them. They either want it or it’s not their thing. I wouldn’t push it.

1 Like

Lol I have that kid… I have even begged him not to play because it infuriates me as a former college athlete, but I have learned to change my way of thinking, does he enjoy it, is he learning something, my son is going to be 13 and it is finally clicking now… trust me he plays football and wrestling and used to be the most eeyore child on the field and the mat… just have patience

Awe. This is sad. Maybe your making the sport not fun anymore for him. Some kids just like the fun in it. Not the competitiveness. My uncle did this with hockey with my cousins and it actually made him not wanna play and he still doesn’t play to the day. And It’s Okay.

I always ask my kids if they enjoy the sports they play I don’t want them to play something just because I may want them to. I am not competitive by nature, if my kids are playing something I wanna know it’s because they want too not because “I want them to” it’s selfish if you get angry when they lose or aren’t playing to your standards just because you are competitive doesn’t mean your child should be.

If he is so blasé about playing, maybe he is not interested in it.
Key here is to ask them what they want to do before signing them up to any extra curricular sports or hobbies.
He could be reacting negatively to your competitiveness because you are expecting so much of him - let him have fun his own way or pull him out and leave him to decide what he wants to do.
Leave your competitiveness for your own activities.

Sports is not for everyone. Let your child choose what they would like to try and support them.

if he doesn’t want it then…he doesn’t want it. find something else he would enjoy more :slightly_smiling_face: it would be better for you both

Does he even WANT to play or are you making him play? My mom wanted me in band. I didn’t want it. She would MAKE me go to all the games, parades, concerts because it’s what SHE wanted. Be honest with yourself. If your child wants this then try encouraging him positively. If he doesn’t then honestly, without judgment listen to his reasons why. But for the love of God let him decide.

Sounds like to me, Maybe he’s not actually interested in playing. As a mom of a champion winning athlete, who at a young age tried several different things… When they find something they’re passionate about, you don’t have to push them, it’ll light that fire inside of them itself.

If it’s something he is passionate about then he would hustle. He may not like it, he may not say anything because he doesn’t want to let you down because of how excited you are at his games even if you question him. My son plays football and basketball. Football he puts his heart and soul into it. You can tell how much he loves it. He’s been playing since he was 8. Hes about to be 13. Either it’ll come to your son or he doesn’t like it. Maybe talk to him about other sports. I feel his coaches are there to critique him and you are there to support him and cheer him on no matter how much he hustles or doesn’t.

I have always hated sports, I don’t have a competitive bone on my body and I’ve turned out just fine. Actually better than fine. Don’t push sports on him just because your competitive. Some of the most competitive people in my school were also bullies. I’ll bet you make him nervous as hell out there.

If he doesn’t want it, he doesn’t want it. He’s not you. Quit expecting him to be.

2 Likes

I feel like the older they get, the more the hustle will kick in. I have 4 boys and each of them have shown a different level of commitment and “really paying attention” at different ages and times. Also their personalities are different. One of my sons is stuck in slow mode everyday with anything he does and another is faced paced. Depends on the child.

Yeah mama you take the side lines in this one. Let the kid & coach handle it. I feel ya tho my son ( now 13) is not competitive at all but loves sports and physical movement…he’s made some really great friends on several teams because he’s not competitive. Just let kiddo have fun and do his thing :grin::+1:

My oldest is just like me. Except where’s he’s not, lol. Drove me a little nuts. When he was old enough, had him do an online, free Myers-Briggs personality assessment. Identical in 3 of the designators but not the 4th. Meant nothing except to help ME understand that he wasn’t me and he was perfect the way he was and I could then express myself using the language cues that fit him better while listening to what he had to say with greater understanding of words and feelings. No more sports but he did have the lead in all 8 high school theater productions, lol.

Sounds like he might not be into sports. Try something less active like chess or art or music.

Leave it to the coach to help him learn to hustle. That’s what the coach is there for. You just cheer him on and encourage him, that’s your job.

You don’t :woman_shrugging: maybe he is feeling down because your obviously not satisfied with his performance :sweat_smile: maybe it makes him feel like not trying, if you want your kid to do better in sports then make sure they want to be there and if they do, make sure they know their best is good enough and then accept it :woman_shrugging: be happy, smile, cheer and go for an ice cream once in awhile after a practice or game and let them know its about enjoyment

Explain to him the importance of teamwork and how everyone on the team has to try their best to get the best results. Otherwise I’d leave it up to the coach to address

Sorry but you don’t. We can’t mold our kids to be what we want them to be. Sounds like he doesn’t like soccer and he might say he does to make you happy. Ask him what sport he would like to try. Only rule if have us if you sign up the you finish the season.

You can’t make someone really want something…. He either will or won’t. Try asking him what HE likes

You say he’s not competitive like you, that he’s chill by nature, but you’re asking how to make him be more competitive like you? Let him enjoy playing while learning the basics; he’s only 7yo, & probably still figuring out his personal likes and dislikes. Also, it seems a bit controlling to try to change your child’s personality; let him be & become his own person. It’s okay to not be competitive. There’s plenty of successful adults who aren’t competitive.

You get over yourself. It’s about him not you. This will be a life long struggle for you if he’s not a competitive person that will lead to a lot of resentment

1 Like

What’s up with certain parents wanting their children to play sports? You know the way the world is set up there are other options to teach the same fundamentals that sports apparently teach. Just let your child be themselves.

Just leave him alone.
Ask him if he wants to play. Don’t push your competitive nature onto him, especially if he isn’t.
I think this is a situation you need to step back from and really take a look at yourself.

I have had to learn to scale back when it comes to my sons ballgames. For him we found a friend/teammate that practiced with him and he did get more enthusiastic about the game. Now we are figuring out how to stop the crying during a game when he feels he didn’t do well enough. Best of luck, kids are fun and weird little people at times lol

To not bother him about it. Let it be his sport and passion not yours. Parents push kids to hard for what they want and then the kid don’t like it.
My son stood in the middle of the circle in the gym playing soccer his 1st season I was personally thinking shit did I make the right choice…then got him on soccer pratice w the Y & some school mates play w him too…now it’s all he does is bounce a ball on the top of his foot & want to play.
Let them so it no matter how much passion you have. And don’t get mad at them either it’s a game as a child not an adult they need to be kids as long and much as possible cause too many get rushed to be mature to fast

Does he even want to play soccer?? It might not be what he wants to do at all. Ask him what sport he would be interested in the best and go from there.

May e he enjoys the sport but isn’t passionate about it. Like he will play as a hobby but doesn’t care for it if he didn’t play… it’d hard for us parents but maybe he likes another post or activity better where he will actually be into it.

Just let it go. I have kids who are either reserved or competitive. With my competitive kids, I am terrified of concussions and broken bones. With my reserved ones not so much.

He may not be into it yet. Mine was kinda eh about baseball at that age. Then we watched “the big kids” & he saw a double play and then figured out how to play after that.

Don’t be pushy, let him just enjoy the sport or leave it if he doesn’t like it. We can’t force our kids to like something just because we like it.

My daughter was the same way. Turns out she loved to play the sport but didn’t enjoy the competition of it.

Some people have perhaps taken this rhe wrong way. I see it from a perspective of a mum who has a son that LOVES to play rugby. But being his first season was very tentative and abit scared of tackling. And watching him be so stand backish (which is not his personality type at all)was super frustrating to watch at times.
My son is 9 and highly motivated by money! We offered him $5 a tackle and $5 a try to try and give him a bit of a push…had to lower the price after that game as he walked away with $50 :woman_facepalming: we still have the money target as an incentive (have lowered it alot as he averages 2 tries a game). Also buying him some extra protective gear helped with his confidence aswell.
Good luck. And yes…I do hope he actually likes and wants to play…otherwise you are wasting your time. No motivation will.work unless they are into it

My eldest grandson doesn’t play sport. Never really been interested. He has excelled in education though and he is at Uni studying technology science and has many friends. He’s a happy well adjusted young man with a great future. Then I have my other grandson that loves all sorts of sports and is good at most of them. It’s up to the individual.

My 14 year old is like that… he loves to play but not 100 % into it… then my 6 year old is crazy about baseball…

3 of my 4 kiddos are enrolled in sports right now and honestly I just had a conversation about this with my husband and co-workers. And in my opinion parents who push their little kids and get mad at them for not hustling annoy the heck outta me. At this point in time they should be having fun and learning the game without the added stress of whether or not they are impressing their parents. I also feel like they will be more inclined to continue playing sports in the future if they are allowed to enjoy themselves, because they are little kids. If they were in high school I would understand it a little bit more but honestly just let him have fun and learn the game. :woman_shrugging: he’s 7 not 17.

Don’t. If he isn’t into it, find something that he is into. Instead of pushing him to be more like you, find a league for you. Support him in his interests instead of pushing your interests on him.

At that age it is all fun and games so just take it as a time to sit back and watch your kiddo have a play date for now.
But I will tell you that when they get older it is okay to do more… my daughter was a lacrosse goalie and I paid a LOT of money for pads and gear and camps and was REALLY upset when she was flinching away from the ball. So I offered her money for every bruise she got in the games. She loved it and ended up the number one goalie in the region all through HS.

Does he even want to play? Maybe find a sport he’s passionate about. Otherwise let him be 7 and have fun

Uh you don’t. If you want to hustle and be competitive join your own team and don’t force it on your kid.

1 Like

Please don’t be one of those parents. So you were a competitive athlete? So was I. Who cares? My son chose his own path for sports and I was there to support it.

You’re expecting quite a bit from a 7 year old. Slow your roll or you’re gonna have problems down the road.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting your kids to try harder when doing things. We push the idea that it’s okay to not be THE best as long as you’re doing YOUR best. Kids need to learn the importance of giving your all to whatever you’re doing. As long as THEY care about it. Just talk to them and see if it’s actually something they want to do, and if it is work on practicing with them and getting them more excited about it. If it’s not something they actually want to play though I wouldn’t expect them to be passionate and try their best yano.

He’s 7. You don’t need to get him to really want it. It’s just a sport. It’s just for fun. He’s not even at a competitive level. Please don’t be one of those parents that ruins sports for their kids by taking it way too seriously.

You have to find something he is interested in and he will show excitement.

Find something that he likes and let him have fun. Maybe sports won’t be his thing.

Let your kid do the things he is most passionate about. WE need to stop forcing them to like the things that we like.

I told my boy I’d give him $5 a goal now he plays his hardest every weekend lol

You don’t. Passion comes from within and can’t be created externally.

Throw on some eye of the tiger or music to get him pumped up! Pump him up before hand, encourage and cheer him on, tell him he is really gana get out there and kick butt today! Me pumping my kiddos up before the game actually does huge wonders, they love it!

If they liked what they were doing they would. Kids often feel pressured to do things like sports that simply don’t interest them. See what the child wants to do.

I signed my boys up for t ball when they were little , they both were very uninterested, never signed them up again … Unless they ask !!

To be honest; he’s already trying his best to play the sport and the best thing you could do is be supportive and on days where there’s not much you have to do; take him out to practice when he doesn’t have to play with his team. Kick the ball with him. At that age; even though kids are energetic and they need something to put their energy into ; they need supportive parents too. Not someone who is going to doubt their ability to play the sport because it doesn’t look like they’re putting much effort into it from your perspective. For all you know he could be trying.

Maybe sit down and ask him about it and see how he feels and take it into account and if he tells you he wants to do something else because doing this isn’t really something that he enjoys then look at other options for something he does enjoy and let him do that.

If we force our kids to do something they don’t like from a young age then you’re going to give them a mindset that everyone else is going to do the same.

Just let him be him. He is your son. Be supportive; have a talk and see what options there out there for something that he may enjoy more something that he is passionate about :tipping_hand_woman:t2:.

You don’t. Does he even want to play or do you want him to play?

1 Like

I coached a team of seven year olds last week and it was so hard to get them to hustle without screaming lol the best way I found was to try and make it a game or having fun. Also racing each other or having some competition helped. Good luck!

1 Like

He clearly has no interest and you’re making him do something he doesn’t like. Let him do a sport he likes!

Seriously?! He is 7! Stop behaving like you bet on a professional sports team! He is a CHILD! You need to grow up!

You can’t push kids to do something they don’t want to do. My 19 yr olds thing was baseball but when it wasn’t the season for that he tried other things that he didn’t like baseball was just his thing. My daughter who’s 11 tried softball hated it she played co Ed flag football liked it but was more interested in watching the cheer leaders so the following year was cheer the next was dance and that is her things. They need to like what they are doing

You don’t. :rofl::rofl::rofl: I played every sport imaginable because I wanted to, and my parents supported me. When I stopped and started writing, my parents supported me. I’ve gone through hobbies like guitar, and video games, etc as I grew. Some stuck, others didn’t. It’s absolutely normal for a child to not care for sports, or have any inclination to play. It’s also normal for them to want something out of the blue, and become very passionate about it. We all change as we grow, and if he’s enjoying it, let him. Forcing him to play because you want him to go through the same feelings you did is sort of…living vicariously through your kids. That phase of your life is over, and your kids might never want the same things. If they love the sport, let them enjoy it the way they want to. If they don’t and later quit, it’s also okay! As long as your kiddo is happy, then you should be happy. Forcing a competitive nature or your expectations like that on them might do more damage than good!

Stop forcing him. Ask him what it is he wants to do and that’s what you spend your money on. Now if he says nothing, then take away screen time. Put a limit on it. Enforce more reading, or more “stem” activities.

My 13 year old has never been interested in sports or extra activities, so we’ve never forced her to do anything just because other people’s kids are. My six year old wanted to do gymnastics, so we signed her up for them. She goes to have fun and make friends, she doesn’t take it seriously at all, but she’s 6. Just a kid… let them be little.

Probably bc soccer is just running- so lame. I bet if he played something else he may actually want to win

Clearly he’s not into it. Maybe don’t force it! Just because you’re competitive doesn’t mean he will be… sounds a bit concerning how competitive YOU are at a child game.

Don’t force him to do something he don’t want to do, get him into something that he will enjoy… Soccer is kind of a boring sport anyway try something more fast-paced maybe he would like that… football, hockey heck even baseball is better than soccer… Maybe get him into martial arts, just find out what he enjoys and likes to do

Maybe he’s just not enjoying it…you can’t force a child to be happy or expect them to be happy if they are not into it.

Maybe he isn’t in to soccer maybe ask him if he wants to still play or maybe he is interested in something else?

Dude🤬 As I am a parent to a very successful elite athlete… this post pisses me tf off and I bet a dollar to a dime this kid won’t play sports past the age of 13 due to having shitty fans…aka his fuggin MOM! I could NEVER. Say I’m mom shaming if you want! This post is horrible and I feel for her son! Who “goes insane” watching a damn 7yr old play?!?

He’s 7! Let him do what he does. He’s still young!

Well first consider if he really wants to play or if you pushed him toward it… Maybe there is another sport or activity that would interest him more

Your first sentence makes it clear. You go insane, not him.

Please don’t be that mom that forces him to be in sports that he just doesn’t enjoy. You can’t make him be competitive like you. Either let him enjoy it or let HIM choose what he wants to do.

I’d ask him if he even wants to play that sport if he says no ask him what he would want to do. Me personally would make him finish the season if he decides he doesn’t like it because he’s committed to his team and it’s a good lesson for him to learn.And I’d also lighten up not to be rude but you might be ruining ot for him. If you find it hard to control yourself or not go crazy I would try to find someone else to take him until you can.

The harder you push him in it, the more he will hate it. Leave him be. I hated soccer because I would listen to my bio dad scream at me from the sidelines. And then I would mess up because I knew he was going to embarrass me and the pressure was so much for me as a child. I loved the friends I made and I loved to run but my dad made it miserable for me so I wanted to quit. He wouldn’t let me so I played all of those years and I hated because of him. Don’t be that parent please.

Either your child wants to play soccer or they don’t
You can’t Make them
Maybe he is a drummer :grinning:

Get him a guitar.
Let him excel at something he wants to do that’s more his style and cheer him on there. Meet him where he’s at, not where you want him to be.

if he’s not into soccer try a different sport that he prefers.

He’s only 7, its just a bit of fun have you asked him if he still enjoys playing football? Or does he play because you want him to play? Sounds to me as if he’s not enjoying the sport or maybe he’s just feeling to much pressure put on him from yourself, he’s still a young boy let him play the game (if he wants to) without the pressure from yourself you should take your competitive side and put it I to your own hobbies and let your son enjoy his sports rather than pressuring him for a competative reason all your son needs from you is reassurance and support, and any sport is about working as a team win or lose

Holy wow just here eating popcorn wishing some day one of the kid gonna end up finding some of these coment and realise their parent just fucking trash talked them cause they were not good enought to their parent taste :rofl::rofl:

Let him be. It’s his sport, not yours. You’re not he one competing. Putting this pressure on your kid would not be the best.

Why force it? He may not want to play.

I had parents that wanted me to play softball because they did and liked it. I was pressured and hated the sport.