How to get older kids to sleep?

I need advice on how to get my 4 yo and 7yr old how to sleep through the night again. I moved in somewhere that the drunks next door where loud and woke them up every night to the point they no longer sleep through the night. Well now the neighbors will no longer be making loud noise at night and they’re still waking up due to the constant disruption to their original sleep scary
24 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get older kids to sleep?

Maybe a sound machine or a fan? Something to get them to fall back asleep

3 Likes

White noise machine and melatonin

7 Likes

Box fan or a sound machine works wonders

2 Likes

Maybe get them some melatonin or something like that its all natural

3 Likes

Talk to your doctor before giving your kids melatonin. Yes it is natural and the body produces it but if you substitute it your body can stop producing it.

5 Likes

Dont do Melatonin, it’s not guaranteed and it only helps to fall asleep, not stay asleep. Agree with the fan or noise machine, creating a constant soothing noise could help get them to stay asleep, not right away of course but in time it should help!

2 Likes

Melatonin is only available on prescription in the uk so I wouldnt advise it
The children will eventually settle back into a normal sleep pattern. Just continue with their bedtime routine and return them to bed when they get up

1 Like

Call your landlord, and the police to remove those dingy alcoholics out of the apartment…then your kids will sleep good at night.

1 Like

How about reading them a bedtime story before going to sleep & then maybe some sort of sound machine

3 Likes

my grandkids went to sleep with a disney movie on tv

2 Likes

You have to establish a very rigid predictable afternoon/evening/bedtime routine. Make a chart with times of every section of getting ready for bed and stick to it. You can give them children’s slow release melatonin while establishing the routine. Set up a speaker with relaxing meditation music to play softly all night or a dan running in the corner of their rooms.

2 Likes

Maybe some meditation music at night or a white noise machine

1 Like

I am 74 and need my white noise. I use a small fan and an old tv show, which i do vary. I haven’t had an unbroken sleep night in 55 years, since my first child. Checking on the baby (s) was a midnight and 3 am habit. Now it is taking the dog out to bark at the moon. :grin::grin::heart: Blessings

4 Likes

No naps. Probably solved…

2 Likes

I play music for my 6 year old from I heart radio, YouTube also has lots of sleep music.

2 Likes

Tranquilizer dart :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Box fan for white noise. Drowns everything out and can even condition them to go to sleep faster over time.

2 Likes

Bless their hearts…try warm milk before bed time and make sure they both use the bathroom before bed time…

I read to my children. It always worked. Sometimes within 5 minutes, sometimes 30. But listening to Mom’s voice is soothing and it boosts their intelligence.

The children’s 1mg melatonin helps my kids get a good night sleep. I would rather them be well rested than to have sleep problems throughout the the night. Especially on school nights

My girls are the same age. I let them run off their energy.
Dinner: 6p
Bath and meds: 6:45-7p
Bed at 8p

Seems to work.

We use a white noise machine with rain sounds and that works pretty well

my older daughter gets melatonin at times when needed i give as goes to bed she falls asleep a half hr after getting and stays a sleep and she is ten. but when younger the girl never slept so had do something.

Melatonin I had same problem with 4 and 9 year old docter suggested it and works very well

Not a fan of melatonin myself. I’d try lavender, a sound machine, and no screen time an hour before bed. That’s what works for us. Goodluck. :heart:

1 Like

Melatonin is fine for a week for getting back in a routine…but long term use has been proven to cause dependence on sleep aids for rest of their life,early puberty,urinary incontinence, etc if given longer than 1 week straight. Know too many people giving melatonin to their kids every single night,but that isnt healthy. Messes up their hormones.Id do it for a week and add a nightime routine and fun night light with soothing noises and see how that works. Maybe even incense or essential oils…

Play white noise quietly…

1 Like

It’s habit now you need to make a new habit one I know works is a warm bath just before bed no tv or electronics and then read books to them for a half hour then lights out maybe some soft sleep music and noise defusers work great

1 Like

Please don’t drug your children as a first choice

2 Likes

I use a white noise machine and a fan, my daughter won’t sleep without the noise.

Turn on a fan or play music and sleepy time tea before bed