How to get past cheating in a relationship?

How do you get past cheating in a relationship? He cheated on me years ago and I still seem to hold on to the past.

58 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-to-get-past-cheating-in-a-relationship/16615

Iā€™m my opinion, you really donā€™t. Once someone cheats itā€™s time to move on :frowning:

10 Likes

Therapy.
Start there.
If you truly canā€™t move passed it, you shouldnā€™t be with him.

1 Like

One day at a time. Until you realize you deserve better. Either hell decide to be better or youll decide to find better in someone else

1 Like

Itā€™s always going to be there honestly.

You might get through it but never get over it. I know I wonā€™t.

You donā€™t. Leave that cheater

2 Likes

You never get over it trust me.

Im in thee same boat. I cant seem to get past him talking to other women about his feelings. When i am right beside him wondering how he is feeling. šŸ¤¦

2 Likes

You donā€™t. Once a cheater always a cheater

5 Likes

For me there would be no getting past it.

1 Like

In my opinion you canā€™t. I gave him multiple warnings about this female and he still did it anyway. He knew what he was doing and went ahead with it. I couldnā€™t get past it.

8 Likes

you donā€™t. i donā€™t think itā€™s meant to truly be if ever did that to begin with. your sound mate would never even think about it.

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to explain but here goes. You have to realize that it honestly had nothing to do with you!! I know that sounds crazy!! He didnā€™t cheat because of you though. He cheated because of his own self and his own insecurities. There are several factors that play into it. Like who it was with? How long did it last? Where it was? How did you find out? Has he been transparent with it? Ectā€¦ Need more back story. You wonā€™t truly ā€œGet over itā€ it will always be there. You are allowed to visit those feelings and feel them and then move on. He canā€™t keep saying sorry though. If you felt like you havenā€™t got the apology you deserve. Then address it but address it with as much grace, and empathy as possible. If he canā€™t give you what you need then my next step would be marriage counseling. Counseling helps so much!!

8 Likes

You will never fully move on if you canā€™t forgive. Lingering on something from the past will never give you the chance to move on. Itā€™s okay to ask questions and talk about it when you think about it. But if youā€™re lingering on it THAT much, than you either need to leave or seek family counseling.

1 Like

You donā€™t, in the end it will break you, my ex did the same to me I never got over it

1 Like

This is my best piece of advice. I havenā€™t dealt with it in my marriage but in the past i have. If you are not going to leaveā€” you have to find a way to cope and let it go. Not necessarily completely let it go, but just stop letting it come between who you two are now. If you decide to stay you have to decide to not be miserable in the process. So if it isnā€™t something you would leave over, donā€™t make yourself and your household miserable over it. If you canā€™t do that, you need to leave and be happy somewhere else.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing if your partner loved you in the first place there would of been no room to cheat. So hereā€™s the thing you just donā€™t get ā€œoverā€ someone cheating on you. Well you do kinda but it kinda follows you into ur new relationships like a freaking creep in the night so you might wanna get some therapy. So if I was you Iā€™d get out of this current relationship with this cheating partner of yours get some therapy and try to move on in life. Take it from someone who tried to make it work with someone who cheated on them it doesnā€™t work it just messes with ur mind, makes you into some damn messed up crazy person and further more just bad for the soul so do yourself a favor and get the French toast out. Maybe youā€™ve already done the self damage like I did but there is healing that can be done as well it just takes time and unfortunately Iā€™m still working on that itā€™s the worst feeling in the entire world.

You wonā€™t ever. My ex cheated, I still feel like he was my soul mate, I was crazy in love with him. But I chose to close that chapter, I knew I would never be able to trust him. Itā€™s been 8 years and Iā€™ve never regretted it, never looked back. Iā€™ve also never had another relationship, but being alone is better than being in a relationship without trust. That just kills you slowly from the inside.

5 Likes

Iā€™m one of those people who truly believe you can get through your significant other cheating because Iā€™ve been through it with my current relationship. It does take a lot of work and counseling, but after showing me he wanted to put the work in to repair our relationship and actually doing the work, is when I truly forgave him and moved passed it. I hate the phrase, ā€œOnce a cheater always a cheater,ā€ because thatā€™s not always the case. It did take a lot to forgive and move pass it, but here we are, 2 years later currently pregnant with baby #2 and getting married in September. Both of you, especially your partner, has to be willing to work on it and fix it

9 Likes

Itā€™s hard. Everyone saying once a cheater always is full of it. Ive been a cheater and he forgave me. Now the thing isā€¦he keeps cheating and my dumb arse stays because ā€œi did it firstā€ but im getting to the point where i know better. Ive been faithful and he keeps doing it knowing hes hurting me. 9 year relationship on the last straw

You can forgive
but you never forget

U wonā€™t. It will eat you up.

You shouldā€™ve left years agoā€¦

2 Likes

Communication and understanding. Figuring out what went wrong in the first place. Then create the spark again make the relationship exciting like it was in the beginning. Bring back the butterflies and explore each other like itā€™s the first time, everytime.

Now all of this takes work and time and both of you have to be committed to the relationship and trying to get past the hurt. If and when you get past it you have to be fully past it you canā€™t bring it up in arguments in the future because that will only damage the trust youā€™ve built.

2 Likes

Everyone is different we canā€™t tell you how to get past it. Some people can work it out and move past it and some people canā€™t. Everyone is different.

2 Likes

You either accept, forgive, let it go & move on or end the relationship. Donā€™t mean to sound harsh, thatā€™s just the reality of it. You must choose to come to terms with it & trust that it wonā€™t happen it again, but that doesnā€™t mean it wonā€™t. I hope that it doesnā€™t & wish you all the luck & love in your relationship

4 Likes

You donā€™t, time to leave

3 Likes

Once a cheater always a cheater

3 Likes

If you dont let it go, itll keep eating at you and itll ruin your peace. You have a choice to makeā€¦ either let it go and stay in the past by moving on and giving him trust again.
Or leave so you no longer have to worry about him cheating again.

3 Likes

Therapy for you, marriage counseling for you both. Give it a year or two to see how it goes (you have to do the work though), then make a decision as to whether you can live with him or you need to leave.

2 Likes

5 years i was with my ex tryinng to forgive him for cheating, again, and again, but in the end i said F-U and i went and found myself a man that truly loves me, would do anything for me, never have to worry about unfaithfulness again

5 Likes

IMO if you stay and say that you want the relationship then itā€™s done with no throwing it in his face or bringing it up ā€¦ you forgave but you will never forget

5 Likes

Get rid of the reason youā€™re reminded everyday.

1 Like

Just walk away. Arenā€™t you tired of making yourself feel the way you do. If you canā€™t forgive him and you probably never will, separate to make both of your life happier.

I had that happen 13 years ago with my husband. 5 years after that I was always skeptical of everything. Finally after him realizing that I was gonna leave he changed. 6 months later I got pregnant with our first child. In the past 7 years he hasnā€™t talked to any girls he has never cheated again. I still have my moments where I worry. But I had to go onto anti depressants. Now weā€™re getting ready to have our 2nd child a boy. It takes time and work. If they wanna change they will. If not than itā€™s not worth staying.

You donā€™t. personally just walk away you wonā€™t be able to get over it.

(Just my opinion) If they want the relationship to work they will put in the effort and hopefully never put you in that situation again, if you donā€™t think you can do it anymore save yourself further heartbreak & pain and walk away. If you want it to work talk it all out get everything off your chest and be honest about your feeling, see how they respond to that and maybe possibily try some couples therapy to help you work through the feelings and find a healthy way to heal together , it will take a long time because unfortunately your brain doesnā€™t just flick a switch and forget.

Once a cheater always a cheater in my mind

3 Likes

Why make yourself miserable and stay if you not over it? I understand you can forgive but not forget but whatā€™s the point if you still holding on to the past

From experience you will never get over it, cheating is one of the worst betrayals in my opinion. There will never be any trust between you now. But ultimately you have to choose to stay and have daily doubts or move on and find someone who will truly love you and respect your relationship!

2 Likes

You donā€™t :woman_shrugging: itā€™s exhausting mentally. The stress, the worry, the wonder.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think you can.

Even if they do change and it never happens again, youā€™ll never be over itā€¦ itā€™ll always be there in your mindā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

It never goes away lol

U know how to get past it? Walk right out and never let him hear another word from u.

6 Likes

If you canā€™t let it go then you need to let him goā€¦ or you two need to get professional help.

I thought I could. I forgave him but never forgot or trusted him again. Stayed in an almost 10yr marriage. He cheated many many years with different girls. One of the last girls he cheated on me with she got pregnant (she was my best friend) I knew then I would never get over that fact. I would not be able to continue the relationship/marriage seeing that baby (yes I know not her fault at all. I donā€™t blame her at all.) on our time. But I never let go of the past cheating prior to that girl which lead me to be angry towards him during. But he never stopped so I gave up. My life has been a roller coaster because of that. But I wouldnā€™t have all 4 of my girls. (2 with ex hub, 2 with current boyfriend)

First step if you want to continue is letting it go again and start building trust again. But I think to do so you need professional help of some kind. (In my opinion.)

Yes we would have attempted to get help but he didnā€™t want to (prior to him having the baby) there was a point I didnt want to seek it alsoā€¦

I couldnā€™tā€¦ ruined us!

Think no matter how much you try too. Itā€™ll never go away

6 Likes

It all depends on the situation. Did he tell you or did you find out yourself? Did he apologize for it, and not have any further contact with the female? Did he ask you, your feelings about it and if you were able to forgive him and move on, not forget but forgive him for it? Would you be able to not bring it up every time an argument or disagreement happens? Then thereā€™s the main part, the one that means the most if he really is sorry. Does he show you that heā€™s trying to help you move forward with his actions in what he does?

1 Like

I am trying but sometimes it eats at my mind specially thinking is he where he said he was who is he texting and sometimes I am ok with it all.

I mean, you guys could try counseling if you want to make it work. If you canā€™t get past it, do yourself the favour and move on.

Leave. Donā€™t stay in a toxic relationship where you arenā€™t respected.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, you donā€™t. Once the trust is broken it is unrepairable. The only options you have is to terminate the relationship or choose to live with the betrayal.

1 Like

Is accosting a girl with the intent for sex considered cheating? Asking for a friend.

You donā€™t. Its like trying to glue pieces of broken glass together expecting the shards to fit perfectly like they once did.

2 Likes

Get a whole new man.

1 Like

I donā€™t think I would be one who could stay, but I have known some who have stayed. Good luck in you moving forward to find your peace.

lots of therapy. you work on trust if you really want the relationship to work. if he shows he changes and everything you can work on trust. my husband cheated 2017, i was pregnant and he showed he did want us. itā€™s hard at times but my trust has been alot better.

1 Like

if you canā€™t get pass it, leave, But you can try therapy & maybe that will help, But again, if you canā€™t get pass it, leave

Itā€™s been years & you canā€™t get past it so itā€™s time to leave. You have to either accept & move on or nothing but resentment builds on both sides.

1 Like

From my experience U get a divorce. My ex husband cheated & got her pregnant.
Once the trust was broken I was done. I knew Iā€™d never trust him to go anywhere again. He met her at work.
I didnā€™t want my child (son) growing up in a home thinking that kinda behavior was normal or accepted.
Your setting examples for your children and for me that was a bad one.
U have to know your worth and donā€™t settle just because the lifestyle is comfortable. U deserve so much more.

2 Likes

If you canā€™t leave. If you choose to stay accept that it happen, accept it might happen again. But you canā€™t hold it against him or hold on it.

But you have to accept it and truly forgive.

3 Likes

If you canā€™t move past it you should be forced to stay

You donā€™t. Literally just leave.

My clients tell me the guided sessions about starting over emotionally helped them the most.

1 Like

You canā€™t. Thatā€™s why people end the relationship. The pain and thoughts of it never go away

You wonā€™t get over it.

1 Like

Then stop holding on him, you have let one of them to go

1 Like

Something in my relationship happened that wasnā€™t quite cheating but broke our boundaries. I tried moving past it. A year later i still had so much resentment so i finally made myself leave and it was the best decision i ever made. We had been together 6 years and had a 3 year old together so it was definitely hard but so worth it

1 Like

Need trust building. Therapy.
If no to both then you leave

You donā€™t. Burn the entire relationship down.

Personally donā€™t think anyone ever gets over it or even past it. They just get used to lying to themselves eventually losing themselves in the process, then they canā€™t figure out why theyā€™re not happy or even how to be happy. You canā€™t heal in the same environment that broke you.

1 Like

You may need some therapy. You may forgive but you will never forget. Some people just cant move beyond it but many can. It takes hard work but it can be done if BOTH people truly want to make it work.

You either hold on to him or hold on to the betrayal. My husband cheated on me as well about 3 years ago and it still stings to this day. But I decided that I loved him and we made it work. Counseling helps a lot. I got to tell my feelings and explain my side and so did he. In a safe space. Nobody could ignore or talk over the other one. It really depends on the persons involved and the situation for me. I made him miserable for a whole year after it happened. I made him pay for it every day. But in turn that was making me miserable as well. So we sought counseling as I was not ready to throw 13 years away. And neither was he. We are in a much better place now. And Iā€™m thankful that I stayed and worked it out. But itā€™ll always sting.

I would have left when the cheating happened but thatā€™s me I guess.

3 Likes

If itā€™s been years with no progress, the trust just isnā€™t there anymore. You probably wonā€™t be able to trust him again, not like you did before he cheated.

Some people can/do compartmentalize better than others. I think they just separate themselves from what happened. Most of us canā€™t and donā€™t ever move past it. I think once someone cheats thatā€™s it, the relationship is never the same. Once that trust has been broken it will never be the way it was before

1 Like

You never get over bein cheated on by a person you loveā€¦once the trust is gone so is the relationshipā€¦I have learned the hard way that once someone cheats they will do it again eventually ā€¦

Cheaters almost always cheat again if they get away with it because they know youā€™ll forgive them. Iā€™ve never stayed with a cheater & Iā€™ll leave if a man chews his food in a way I donā€™t like itā€™s that easy :joy: leave & move on

1 Like

You donā€™t, youā€™ll never fully trust him again.

1 Like

Once a cheater always a cheater. Cut your losses and move on.

2 Likes

You donā€™t. 11+ years wasted. Attempts at therapy were made. No lasting results. An unbelievably painful divorce. Nearly everyone we know, now knows me as the ā€œbad guyā€. Even though everyone knows heā€™s the liar and the cheat, Iā€™m wrong for leaving and finding happiness. :roll_eyes:. Makes no sense.

5 Likes

You never will. Move on

You gotta move on or donā€™t ! Every relationship has flaws Iā€™ve been with my man 12 years and we been through some shit together! Itā€™s always gonna be in your mind I suggest therapy or breaking up honestly. Itā€™s all up to some people can never get there it and thatā€™s okay but others learn to live with it and be forgiving. The choice is yours

Either let it go or leave

You donā€™t.
You just have to move on, with or without the partner.

1 Like

You donā€™t. You wonā€™t ever. Itā€™s always going to be in the back of your mind what he did and itā€™s always going to make you feel like shit.

To be honest, if he cheated once, heā€™s probably cheated more than that, you just donā€™t know about it.

The only question here is can your relationship survive without trust? if it is to make it you need to decide what type of organ trust was - a kidney where you can still survive with just one, or a heart where its game over, everybodyā€™s different but people who say trust can be rebuilt are lying to themselves, their inner voice never forgets

1 Like

You donā€™t get over it trust me

I donā€™t think you ever really get over it I feel like itā€™s always just still lingering in the back of your head try not to be an overthinker and if youā€™re wanting to continue in the relationship you guys are both going to have to put forth effort not 50/50 100 from each of you and I would definitely suggest some marriage counseling maybe try some on your own first and then try it together

You donā€™t. He chose to share his mind and body with another woman. What kind of person stays with someone who did that?

Both go to therapy and then have group sessions with both of you AND your therapists. Get it all out in the open. Work through it together

1 Like

Either you forgive and forget or you have to move on. I know itā€™s not easy. But itā€™s not fair to you to live feeling like theyā€™re gonna do it again. You deserve to be happy and not worrisome.

I was the stupid 1 put up with cheating for 23 yrs when out got a new life and never look back

Itā€™s not a mistake if he learned something from it. If itā€™s continued, then heā€™s a cheater.

3 Likes

Nope I wonā€™t do it, I canā€™t never lower my self worth like that. A man that cheats donā€™t love you, he would have never done or thought of it. Ik thatā€™s harsh but itā€™s reality alott of woman canā€™t see the reality of life. Nope there is the door :door: never ever lower your self worth. At the end you you wished you should have left then, woman really take it hard then men. You donā€™t deserve that, the fact it happened nothing you can do is either stay or leave. Your choice is in your hands. They say Iā€™ll never do it again guess what lies!!! Be smart and not fall for the Iā€™m sorrys and never do it again. They try to make you think and convince you they wonā€™t.

1 Like

U do not ever get over it. But if u really truly love that said person and been honest with u since n hasnā€™t cheated since. Maybe u could move forward. If u still feel the hurt n canā€™t move past it itā€™s best for ur sanity and health to thro him away n start fresh

I definitely donā€™t think itā€™s something thatā€™s easy. But absolutely doable if both people are willing to start fresh. Meaning it canā€™t be brought up and thrown in their face, or used as an arguing tool. But that being said the one who has cheated needs to be 100% open book, for the rest of their life if thatā€™s what needed. No locks on phones, you knowing the passwords, not that you should constantly be checking, just completely honest and open . And the one who is cheated on needs to be completely honest as well. If you were feeling insecure, or a situation rubs you the wrong way and you need to let your partner know that itā€™s bringing up memories. But only you will truly know if it was a one-time thing. If you think he may do it again then there may not be any hope. If it was a one-time stupid mistake, out of character, and obviously depending on the circumstances, and itā€™s at least worth a try I say. Good luckā¤ do what you can but donā€™t make yourself miserable

1 Like