How to get rid of cold sores?

How do you get rid of cold sores and what even causes them? I swear I have them all the time and its so embarassing to me…

41 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get rid of cold sores?

1 Like

I use abreva from Walmart it normally goes away after three days.

4 Likes

abreva. and usually stress causes them.

1 Like

Valacyclovir I promise I used to get them from stress after being sick or out in the sun take this pill everyday not no more

6 Likes

Abreva and Herpes is the cause. You may need medicine from a doctor

3 Likes

I get them when my immune system is down or I’m stressing about something

4 Likes

Start taking the vitamin L-lysine.
Also go to your gp and see if there’s any tests.
If you’ve got them all the time, it may be a deficiency somewhere

5 Likes

Protect lips from the sun and take L-lysine daily or Zinc… I also take valacyclovir (prescription) the day I notice it coming in and it speeds the healing process

1 Like

Carmex, when you start feeling a tingle, use the Carmex, and it will prevent it or minimalize it. It’s stress…my old boss got one one time he was a foreigner and I told him he had herpes, which it is a form of the virus caused by stress…he shooed me out of his office immediately called his doctor, later came and told me what his doctor said, and it’s exactly what I just told you…I laughed my ass off eliminate your stress…

Weakened immune system and stress bring them on. It’s a form of herpes but not that big of a deal many people get them. Lysine daily will prevent them but if you feel one coming on double doses of lysine with Abreva will vastly shorten their lifespan.

4 Likes

Cold sores come on when there is excess stress and anxiety or your immune system is low and you’ve been sick. It’s a form of the herpes virus and is super common (and contagious) which is why valacyclovir (an antiviral) works. Abreva will usually work and it should go away in two weeks or so depending on stress levels.

5 Likes

L-Lysine. They have cream and the pill. Take/apply as soon as you start one coming on. When I don’t have mine around ill rub some hand sanitizer on i, just a smidge.

Around my lips started getting what looked like cold sores. Would heal go away And another one just as fast. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. Figured out I was having allergic reaction or something to my face wash. Stopped using that and haven’t had any since.

Take l-lysine daily. My husband does and hasn’t had one in years.

2 Likes

Rubbing alcohol. That’s all I use

1 Like

Talk to your doctor they may be able to give you medication for them. They are actually a form of a herpes .people get them for a lot of reasons.

1 Like

Dr can give you a prescription for it and it works.

Tbh I got em from my old dog licking my face… when I stopped letting her lick me I stopped getting em. Don’t forget makeup allergies etc… not always herpes…

4 Likes

It’s herpes simplex 1 and an antiviral like acyclovir when symptoms appear.

4 Likes

Herpes. So don’t tell nobody it’s a cold sore . Just treat it :joy:

4 Likes

I get them when I’m stressed I get the cheap cold sore medicine from dollar general and it works great also just try and ignore it and don’t touch ot pick it.

Legit don’t let anyone make you feel weird for getting them, the vast majority of the population has herpes simplex but it lays dormant in a lot of people so they don’t know. For the sore take L-lysine (over the counter supplement) and ask your doctor for a prescription for the antiviral valacyclovir. You can use creams like Abreva or Zovirax on it. There’s also patches for it, Polysporin makes some or any generic hydrocolloid pimple patch will work. You can get them from stress, your immune system being low, sun exposure, etc. Always wear a lip balm with SPF I find that helps me avoid the summertime ones from the sun.

5 Likes

Girl!!! Hands down Super L Lysine + immune support supplements and the cold sore treatment. I take the supplements every morning and use the ointment daily like lip balm work wonders. Got a tiny cluster of cold sores this morning. Took an extra pill and use ointment frequently. Cold sores are almost gone. Amazon.

3 Likes

Dry them out. It will scab up and go away. I get them all the time to. Get a tissue and dab it about once every 15-30 minutes so its stays dry. After you take a drink I dab it dry. I do it whenever you have a chance and it will go away usually within a few days.

They’re caused by herpes simplex virus type 1. They’re super common and treated with prescribed antivirals. You can also take an L lysine supplement to suppress the virus

4 Likes

I take L-Lysine pills when I feel one coming on… usually when I’ve had a lot of acidic drinks/food, stress, and when it’s cold out or I’ve been in the sun a lot.

If that doesn’t help, talk to your dr and there’s a blue pill that you can take. Abreva never touched mine.

Salt! Make a salt and water paste- put on cold sore, also rinse with salt water, it will be gone within few days!

Mine are caused by citrus. Oranges, orange juice, grapefruit, anything with citrus. Stay a way from all & you will be fine. If you do a feel a tingling on your lips use anbreva. It will be gone the next day.

3 Likes

I get them if I am in the sun too long.

L lysine works wonders. Take 1 daily.

2 Likes

I dry them out with rubbing alchol n take vitamin c to boost my immune system

1 Like

Stress, colds, change of weather and sun burned. They are hereditary.

I have an auto immune disease which means I have a compromised immune system…I’m older and just got one for the first time ever in my life I freaked apparently cold sores can be super dangerous to someone like me he gave me antivirals and told me they would only lessen the time I had it which was one week…he gave me more antivirals on stand by just in case i start to get another i need to take the meds asap the doc said next time I get one will be worse I’m not even gonna go into the what ifs because it’s scary google if u wanna know…talk to ur doc!!!

I call my doctor and get medication :pill:

I use tea tree oil !

1 Like

Made in Canada
Has a built-in sunscreen
Called HL-30 (Sold where chapstick is found in stores)

Lysine the minute you feel it

2 Likes

Trust me on this, I suffered all my life with them and an Indian lady told me to put real vanilla flavoring on it eveytime you get a chance. I purchase a bottle of McCormicks at Walmart and it cured them within a day, two days at most. I hardly every have them now.

11 Likes

I use abreva as soon as I feel one coming on and it really helps! It only lasts like 1-2 days and it doesn’t get bad .

1 Like

I get cold sores and use Abreva works great.

Have your doctor give you a script for valtrex. Anytime you feel a tingle start the meds.

It’s a virus. Lots of homes it’s aggravated by stress.

I’ve had them since I was 9.

5 Likes

My mom gets them all the time too. The only thing that works is a prescription ointment. Also figuring out the triggers that cause them for you can help out!

1 Like

Cold sore around your mouth is the herpes virus

Abreva helps it heal faster.

Lysine the instant you feel one coming on. And it’s actually genetics to get them, among other things. For me it’s genetics and our family doctor prescribes some pill you take multiple times a day and it only lasts a few days instead of weeks from start to finish. And makes it look so much better

3 Likes

Lysine helps, also high vitamin c doses a few days

1 Like

I get them too a lot but try to go to cvs and look for lip stuff Carmex makes good stuff for them!!! It’ll say cold sore medicine on it everyone’s different I still try different stuff out all the time or walgreens but they both have this!

Start taking Lysine it’s just over the counter. When you first get one take 5 pills that first day then 4, 3,2 then when you get down to 1 just start taking it daily. I use to get them anytime my temp got about 98 or if I accidentally bumped my own mouth or something. But once I started taking those regularly for a couple of months I haven’t had one in a couple of years or more. But I do have Crohn’s disease and my doctor said if I have a spot on the outside that more than likely they are along my esophagus as well since it’s a gi disease. Best of luck.

1 Like

I use Abreva it’s expensive but worth it the minute I start to feel one come on I put that on it and it’s gone in a couple of days.

2 Likes

Take L-Lysine the second you feel one coming.

2 Likes

They’re viral so certain things trigger them like being sick, stress, sun exposure or cold weather, and hormone fluctuation. Abreva is the best thing to use!

Herpes simplex virus. Very common. Stress and hormones can cause outbreaks. I use an OTC ointment called Abreva. Kinda pricy but works well if you apply it at the first sign of tingling. I’ve also heard to firmly press a cold spoon (like, from the freezer), on the area at the first sign of tingling. Hope this helps. Also, do NOT kiss any babies. Even toddlers as their immune systems aren’t fully developed and it can turn quite serious for them.

6 Likes

When you first feel one use ice cubes and alcohol and apply lots of Abreva. The alcohol will help kill the infection and ice will help freeze it up

Pure vanilla extract!

3 Likes

Get a bottle of L-Lysine. Take several a day for a few days and then continue to take 2 a day. Many years ago a doctor told me about this. It really works. I buy it at WalMart in the vitamin isle.

5 Likes

In with the Vitamins L-LYSINE

2 Likes

Ear wax or toothpaste when you feel it coming up.

3 Likes

Go get an antiviral RX from your doctor and have it on hand. You take it the second you feel it coming on and it will drastically shorten the time. My poor kid got them from another baby drinking off of her bottle when she was a baby. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Many are an oral herpes virus…they are contagious.

Take the L-lysine daily. Huge preventative. Use a lip balm daily that has sun screen. Watch what you eat. If foods are high in acid it can trigger more outbreaks in someone. I know I run the risk of an allergic reaction to too much sun and will break out. Abreva helps with current breakouts. They have cold sore patches that help hide and protect them. The vitamin supplement will help but also seeing your doctor for a script for an antiviral that helps with breakouts may be needed until you get symptoms and triggers under control. Keeping a good journal and marking with color coding system when you feel one coming on and go back and see if there is a food that is a trigger

2 Likes

Cold sores spread from person to person by close contact, such as kissing. They’re usually caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), and less commonly herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both of these viruses can affect your mouth or genitals and can be spread by oral sex. Cold sores are contagious even if you don’t see the sores.

There’s no cure for cold sores, but treatment can help manage outbreaks. Prescription antiviral pills or creams can help sores heal more quickly. And they may reduce the frequency, length and severity of future outbreaks. Cold sore - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic.

Cold sores are all caused by the herpes virus. Fever blisters are also the herpes virus.

2 Likes

I get cold sores every year and I buy this, works wonders

I get them if I’m super stressed out.Abriva works wonders

1 Like

As soon as you feel the sting, itch, tingle use a product called monolaurin–600 MG capsule–I take several right away–then do 2x a day until the sore goes down/ away–,it may be several days–I use Blistex medicated during this time also

1 Like

Apply this at the first inkling & even a day after. I promise you it’s a miracle! And natural! It’s Oreganol oil…it’s available on Amazon. I will swear by it!

Second L-Lysine as a preventative

4 Likes

Cold sores are a type of a very Contagious virus called Herpes. They will break out when your immune system is down, generally stress, sun exposure, allergies, being sick or any way in which your health may be compromised it will trigger herpes to show up. Herpes is NOT hereditary, just the symptoms may be related with genetics. Herpes doesn’t have a cure, which means once you got it you’ll never get rid of the virus only the symptoms and that means getting a very healthy lifestyle. Most family members may have herpes because they don’t know is a virus to begin with. While you have a sore in your mouth you shouldn’t be kissing or putting your mouth anywhere people specially children may put it. Call your doctor and ask him for a test and RX. Avoid touching the sores and if you do touch it be any chance avoid touching any open wound or private parts either yours or anyones without washing your hands very carefully. Keep the zone clean and fresh. Good luck

7 Likes

Abreva helps me, but I also heard to get a qtip and soak it in alcohol and put on the lip as much as possible

L-ysine strongest milligrams they have x4 pills twice a day and Abreva on the sores. That’s what my grandma did and my mother and nowni do the same. Only have to do it for about 4days and it should be gone. Also I use ice on the sore at first seems to stop the spreading into a full blown fever blister

3 Likes

Tea Tree Oil/Peppermint Oil

1 Like

Once you get it, you have it.for life. It has a 14 day cycle. You just manage the symptoms when they arise! For the love of God, stay away from children. Someone didn’t stay away from you and you contracted it unfortunately.

3 Likes

If you’re stressed out alot, it will trigger them. My friend gets them everytime she is really stressed out. Go to the Dr and get it tested.

I have literally been putting rubbing alcohol on the spot that tingles as soon as I feel it. Have never had an actual cold sore because of this. Got the remedy from my dad.

1 Like

Get a prescription for valtrex

2 Likes

Valtrex and apply coconut oil

1 Like

This has helped me a lot, I put it on the affected area and ingest it as recommended

If you get Lysine capsules from health store or anywhere they work. One of my grandaughters had them all the time. I bought LYSINE and she NEVER got them AGAIN! BLESS YOU. They are awful and PAINFUL. PLEASE TRY IT!:gift_heart::rose:

6 Likes

I take L-Lysine right away and use Abriva too.

1 Like

I ended up getting a prescription for Acyclovir. It took 1 day to get rid of mine and I haven’t had one since.

2 Likes

I used to get cold sores often until i tried polysporin complete. I never got cold sores again after using this kind :ok_hand:

Abriva has healed them up overnight for me several times.

You can alto take super lysine plus it’s a vitamin and helps you not get them

Valtrex
They are caused by a virus

7 Likes

I have a script for acyclovir, I take it every day and haven’t gotten one in months since I’ve Started taking them. Cold sores is the herpes simplex virus, stress, weather change, elevation, dehydration and mood changes can cause them to come. It sucks, 90% of people have it so it’s nothing to be ashamed of

4 Likes

Lysine abd tea tree oil abreva dont touch it

Methylated spirits.
Might/not sting a bit, but it kills them!

Stress and weather will trigger them.
Talk to your doctor and theres medication you can take. I thought it was only for he other simplex (sti) but i asked the pharmacist one day and it can also be taken for cold sores

DMSO medical grade will keep mine from breaking the surface or get rid of it within a day and a half.
Also I only get cold sores when I’m dehydrated, especially in a change of season. If my lips aren’t cracked and i keep gloss on I can go a Long time without any.

I don’t get them as often as I used to. There are several preparations on the market. I usually use Carmex, in the little jar thingy.

A lot of things can cause them. I generally frequently get them during the times my lips peel, and stress bite my lips. I generally use rubbing alcohol and abriva… I use carmex everyday or chapstick. To keep my lips from chapping

Many have suggested lysine as a supplement. This is a good idea, just check in with your doctor about dosage for yourself, in case there’s something you’re taking already that might interact…

But on that note , look into a low arginine diet. Arginine essentially works counter to lysine, so if your diet is super high in high arginine foods (peanut butter, seeds, coffee, chocolate etc) then your cold sores might be more triggered by that, as well as other factors stated in these comments.

This supplement hands down the best ever- Get it at wonderlabs.com, you’ll never have a breakout again- Make sure you get this exact product with the burdock and goldenseal root. Research burdock root, it’s a godsend. Seriously it’s the best.

Campho phenique at walmart…if you catch it before it fully flares itll get rid of it within the day if not then no more than a week…5$ and colorless unlike abreva…smells like carmex chapstick kinda

1 Like

Neosporin. YouTube is your friend :wink:

You must be run down or stressed to get cold sores all the time

1 Like

Put some mens aftershave on it yes it will burn it out but it’s good they won’t come back. I get them all the time since I was young and I did use creams which it doesn’t help but I have used the aftershave and my husband gets them all the time and he used aftershave and he now doesn’t get them.

I had a cold sore that just would not heal. A nurse told me, and gave me, eye ointment and said I should use that. It worked like a charm.

Hydrogen peroxide kills then and stops them from spreading

1 Like