How to get rid of cold sores?

The nurse told me to let a vitamin c tablet dissolve on it and clean with hydrogen peroxide. It will go away in the morning. Did that and the next day it was really gone

1 Like

Herpes virus once you have them you can’t get rid of them. The virus lays dormant in the body until stressed etc

4 Likes

Get anti viral meds from a dr. -

5 Likes

Change your toothpaste might make a difference on getting them. salt on the soar works, mouthwash, salt water, orange jus, pick one to do several times a day

1 Like

You have herpes then

2 Likes

As soon as you feel one coming, before it pops out, use roll on deodorant. Only in the roll on is an ingredient that dries it up before it blisters out. Advice from my Dr and it works!

2 Likes

LLysine 1000 MG
Cheap in Supplement Sección
2000-3000 MG a day for maintenance.
Stay away from peanuts, peanut oil.
Don’t take LArginine.

1 Like

Stress, hormone changes (I get one when I start my period every month), there’s a few different triggers for them. Lanolin can help soothe it and keep your lip from cracking, but won’t clear it up. Need quick relief, ear wax…seriously, it helps. Lmfso

Talk to your doctor to get an anti viral medication. There’s over the counter medications to help when you have an outbreak, like tiny band aids and ointments, but if you have them that frequently, you need to see a doctor.

1 Like

campho phenique you can get it at walmart for $5.

As soon as you feel the tingle , put an ice cube on the spot for 2-3 minutes …seems to stop them …if it comes up , straight cut garlic on it (stings a bit tho) but helps heal them quicker

Bleach works well if you get it early

Go to the doctor. It’s herpes simplex. They can give you medicine that will reduce the recurrence.

4 Likes

stress is a big cause, & yes they are a form of herpes. So please do not kiss anyone if you have them, because if you do, you are also given them to that person/persons. Yes go to your Dr & he /she will give you a script to lessen the outbreak

3 Likes

Daily acyclovir, on prescription.

1 Like

Get your doctor to prescribe Valtrex. Take two of those at the first sign of a cold sore and it’s gone!

2 Likes

I get cold sores when I allow my lips to get very dry and cracked—allowing the virus to escape and grow.

The doctor can prescribe an antiviral.

1 Like

Tea tree oil works amazing. Usually gone within a day or 2

A cold sore is herpes. See a dr. There is medicine you can take daily to help suppress those outbreaks

Glen20 straight on it as soon as you can.

Stress does it for me and if my lips get sun burnt. I also get them all of the time, actually have 2 right now. It is absolutely awful. I have gone to my doctor and the first thing she asked me was if I was stressed. She prescribed me a medication that worked wonders but I haven’t gotten it refilled in quite some time and now that I’ve been really stressed at work I’m getting them often again. I always keep abreva on hand so the minute I feel the first tingle I apply it immediately. It’s the only over the counter medicine I’ve found that actually works. It works as long as I catch it on time. This time I had left it at home while I was at work and by the time I got home my lip was so swollen with multiple… it looked terrible!

1 Like

My doctor gave me a med love it so I used to feel like a monster with them on my lips

I only get when I have fever and severe cold other than that its form of herpes

You have herpes and you always will.

Ive had them since I was a kid. You can get this on every vitamin aisle. Take daily if you get them often, otherwise take as needed. I haven’t had one in a few years.

8 Likes

It’s the herpes simplex virus but that does not mean you have “herpes” the STD and it’s very stigmatized and embarrassing when people label it like that.

Like others have said there are lots of triggers and depending on where you are in the outbreak there’s lots of options. Don’t let your lips get dry or cracked and you can take lysine (at any drug store) to help avoid them.

5 Likes

Talk to your doctor.

This actually does work. Take an onion & cut a piece about 1/2 square. Now split the piece you cut. You want to peel it down the middle. Once you divide it, put the inside piece on the cold sore. Now go watch TV or take a nap for 15 minutes. Your sore will stop hurting and it will go away. Oh, by the way, to get the onion smell off your fingers. Rub your fingers on the kitchen sink. Stainless steel for some reason will remove the smell from your hands. Try it if you don’t believe me.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to manage symptoms but you can never get rid of them. You prob need to speak with your doctor and may need to do a regiment of valtrex for awhile.

I suggest numbing agents or ice for pain, patches help cover them, orajel cold sore in a silver tube helps with numbing, and the lysine like others suggested, keep you’re stress and sickness down, and you can take qtips and put rubbing alcohol/ hydrogen peroxide on it. It likes moist heat so whatever you can do that stops that. And don’t pop the blisters as much as possible (patches help with that).

Also replace your toothbrush, I prefer straws, and toss any lip products you sue directly on the sore as it’s contaminated now. If you want to use makeup or product around or on it use qtips or your finger sand then wash your hands thoroughly.

And def don’t kiss children or babies.

1 Like

You can buy a supplement called lysine. I take one 1000 mg pill daily. I never had issues until this year and no matter what i did i couldn’t get rid of it. Doctor suggested this and it went away immediately.

2 Likes

Alyssa Lafleur for Roman

Campho-Phenique is an excellent topical agent. Place it on just as you notice the cold sore beginning and it will stop it in its track! Do not get into eye. I get my cold sores on my oils and sometimes near my nose. It works WONDERS!!!

1 Like

A doctor can prescribe aclyvar

Best way to avoid getting them is to work on your overall health, and your immune system.

Stress literally causes mine. You can get a prescription from the doctor that when you feel the tingle and you take them as prescribed you won’t get them at all. But my doctors have been Jenks ans I’ve asked multiple doctors to give me another prescription and they say they will but when I go to the pharmacy to pick up they say there’s never a prescription for them. Every time. So I use tea tree oil on it as soon as I feel the tingle. I get them still but they are no where as bad.

Get a prescription from your Dr for Valtrex 1 gram
Take it 2 times a day for 2 days .
It works , and fast .

You need to figure out what you’re in taking in your body that’s causing the cold sores, most likely it’s either soda pop spaghetti sauce pizza orange juice, you don’t have to quit everything completely well right now you should but you should limit certain things in your diet. Too much Citric acid will cause outbreaks… and pretty much everything has it in it… The thing items I wrote above are usually the main aggravators. 

I use Lemon Balm soothing salve from Amazon… I have literally tried everything from peroxide to lysine to abreva and this is the only thing I’ve found that shortens them for me

If your getting them a lot ask the dr about them they can give an oral rinse if there inside your mouth too or if it’s something else there are meds they can prescribe. Stress can make them pop up, the heat can also

Gargle warm salt water or swish with peroxide. I’m sure you know don’t swallow either.

2 Likes

It’s herpes simplex 2, and Abreva works great.

If you can’t get a prescription from a doctor there is over the counter medications such as Abreva or lysine. Cold compress to reduce swelling. There are cold sore patches as well. Make sure to keep the area dry as much as possible.

As for what causes them is HSV-1 and 97% of the world’s population has it. Can be triggered by stress, bacteria, compromised immune system, irritation to the area etc

They are caused by the Herpes Virus… you will have it the rest of your life… Take “Lysine”. It is an Amino Acid that helps block the virus from being active… it’s in the Vitamin section at stores… take 500mg every day for a yr, then once a week…it works ! :blush:

I have always gotten cold sore all my life as far as I can remember. I use aberva when I feel it starting then they usually go away with in a day or so if I catch it time. If I wait and don’t do it as soon as I feel it coming it takes 3-5 days. Wash your hands if you touch a blister. Don’t kiss kids, or significant other (out of four of my kids so far my 11yr old only gets them.)

And FYI for the people who don’t know or giving you false information…
Cold sores are usually caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and are also called oral herpes or fever blisters. But, not all herpes viruses cause cold sores. It goes into type 2(std/genital herpes)

1 Like

For my man he gets them whenever he eats oranges. For me it’s when I don’t make sure I get all the salt on the corner of my lip

Get colloidal silver lip balm. I swear by it. Have never gotten one again after using it! It’s on Amazon.

zinc oxide ointment comes in a tube…this ointment will cure it.

Herpes causes them and you can get a prescription from your dr.

1 Like

Cold sores are caused by certain strains of the herpes simplex virus (HSV). HSV -1 usually causes cold sores… cold sore outbreaks can be triggered by, exposure to hot sun, cold wind. A cold out other illnesses. A week immune system, or even stress. And by kissing also