How to get toddler to sleep in their own room?

I have a 2 year old who still cosleeps and I have a new baby on the way. Any ideas on how I can get her to sleep in her own bed? Anyone else in the same situation?

18 Likes

Same exact situation :woman_facepalming:t4: idk what Iā€™m going to do either lol

1 Like

They rule the roost. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::sob:

We put a twin bed in our room and slowly started to transition while the end of my pregnancy

1 Like

Good luck with that. My daughter is turning and still cosleeping, and we have another baby due in May

1 Like

I have a 4 year old who wonā€™t just sleep alone! Hes at the bottom of our feet And I have a 10 month old who sleeps beside me then Iā€™ll have a new born here at the end of the month Hoping my son can sleep alone once sheā€™s here

1 Like

Well to be honest Iā€™d try getting the new baby to sleep in her own bed. Itā€™s going to be a lot easier. The 2 year old is already use to it, and will feel a little jealous probably, if baby is sleeping with you, and she got the boot. Sheā€™s still a baby too, just a bigger one. Been there myself and my son who is 6 still has to sleep in bed with us, as where his little sister sleeps on her own, and refuses to sleep with anyone since sheā€™s slept in her own bed since birth. Now our last baby who is 2 has joined our bed, because I let him sleep with us since day one. Best of luck momma!

I read my 3 year old a book and we go to sleep in her bed. Then I go back to mine. Sheā€™s a hard sleeper and doesnā€™t (or hasnā€™t yet) woke up at night while in her bed.
When it was all three of us in my bed, we were all constantly waking up throughout the night because itā€™s just no room now that sheā€™s 3 feet tall and wants to sleep sideways lol

1 Like

Lol im a Grandmother my 8 yr old Granddaughter and 3 dogs sleep with me and sweetie if you dont want kids n your bed you might want to start from day one

2 Likes

Get a treasure box and fill with small toys and stuff like bracelets and stickers dum dums that kind of thing and if she sleeps in her bed then she may pick a treasure. But mostly just stick with it if they come to your bed put them back in there own its ruff for a week or two but as long as you are consistent it works. What I did For mine anyway.

2 Likes

I had issues with my 2nd lo and this is what her preschool teacher suggested*
Get her excited and happy about bedtime. Go to the store with her and let her pick out a bed buddy,(stuffed toy) explaining to her that she can ā€˜take care of sleepy bed buddy the mom did youā€™ and find a bed book to encourage sleeping like a big kid. (Sorry, teacher had one for my lo, not sure what it was called anymore). Even though they canā€™t tell time yet- each night point to the clock when it say 8 or 9 when itā€™s bedtime and say itā€™s time for bed, say things like the clock says so. Idk why this has such a strong imoact- but it really does. Something about another entity of some kind just helps so much to convince kids things lol. When your doing any night routine things, include bed buddy. Brushing teeth, readibg a book, etc. My daughter wanted to take hers into the bath with her, but couldnā€™t so we made a pretend bath with her old baby tub for buddy to sit in lol. When your potty traning and doing other things somethibg that will most likely happen through out the day is she will want her buddy to be involved with everything! I let my daughter- she adored it like a baby. The teacher did suggest if that was a problem I could introduce diffetent types of ā€™ buddiesā€™ like a reading, play, a drs appt and food buddy. My daughter loved being motherly over her toy and it encouraged a lot more independence in more ways than just good bedtime habits.
I worried that sheā€™d develope a cling to it when shed have to leave it behind when she started school- but it wasnt a problem. One day she started to set ut down more and more until she started to not really want it for anything but bed.
It was a lot if fun watching my baby be a momma to her own ā€˜babyā€™ lol

1 Like

I went through this! Definitely let your child pick out their own bedding. My son picked out a batmobile car bed and he thinks itā€™s the coolest. It started for us with letting him fall asleep then putting him in his bed for a week or so. Then we would put him in his bed and lay with him, read books, etc. until he fell asleep. Sooner or later he stopped waking up as much and wanting to come in our room. Heā€™s now 2.5 and every once in a while we have to go in there and lay with him, but now he loves his big boy bed! You just both have to be adamant about not bringing him/her in your room when theyā€™re crying and just getting them to stay in their own bed and fall back asleep

Why did you start in the first place?? Mother of 5, grandmother of 3 and never co-slept. If you dont want bad habits donā€™t start them.

6 Likes

My 6 yr old is just starting to sleep in his own bed. I let him pick out how bedroom theme. Matching pajamas the whole shabang! But it was hard. Some nights he crawls in bed with me Iā€™m due in 2 weeks. IDK. I may buy a bigger bed :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Put her in her CRIB,U go get in UR BED. Sounds like a plan to me.

1 Like

It will be messy no sugar coating it. I have coslept with all 11 of my kids (including my twins) you will be up and down putting that baby back in her bed cause she will sneak in your room in the middle of the night. No matter how tired you are you have to get up and move her back. It took us about 3 weeks with each kid to get them in their own beds but it worked and I wouldnt had done it any other way cause I loved sleeping with my kiddos.

3 Likes

Maybe you could introduce the bed to them depending on how far along you are and you might be able to even get them to like the bed before you have the baby what I suggest personally is picking out stuff that she would like like blankets pillows have her help you pick out a toddler bed I know 2 year olds are very complicated but mine made up his mind about what he wanted in his bed spend more specifically a paw patrol blanket is what really got him excited about having his own little space heā€™s always had his own room in his own bed and we never co-slept but I always had a hard time getting him to go to sleep until I got that blanket

Start slowā€¦ move his bed into your room, close to your bed and week by week move a little closer to being in his own areaā€¦

In the same boat! Following

Start now, stopped co sleeping when he was 5 months when I found out I was gonna have another, was a little rough (crying about twice a night) but eventually he got used to it, now he canā€™t sleep unless heā€™s in his bed and has learned to put himself to sleep at almost 1yrs old just in time for the new baby thatā€™s coming :blush: