How to handle toddler tantrums?

Honestly, it depends on the day. Most I just keep moving and ignore it. My daughter is all about the reaction. So if I ignore it, she will just pout and huff more than throw down screaming. But if I am defeated and tired, I give her my phone. There is a much better chance that my phone is the lesser of evils compared to whatever brought on the tantrum.

remove the child (and yourself) to somewhere away from whatever the tantrum is about, and where it’s quieter. let it run its course, without losing your cool. then be calm and explain your expectations about going back.

Restroom break :hugs: and my daughter knows what that means . So she stops before she is ahead .

6 Likes

Take her to the restroom and whoop her bottom. It works on my child.

4 Likes

Never had that problem with my kids but if they did try it I just gave them the look and they knew better. I also told them what I was going to get and nothing extra.

1 Like

If you allow them to act like that at home they will do the same in public.

3 Likes

When they were little I would picked my kids up surfboard style and carry them out of the store screaming, crying and carrying on, took them home, put them to bed, them with dad and then went back to the store by myself. I don’t deal with that nonsense. Now that they are older I will spank their butts and they will get grounded for acting up in the store.

4 Likes

I’ve got 5, with four being special needs, shopping centres are a big deal for our little ones and they just get so overwhelmed and react the only way they know how. I usually pick them up and give them a cuddle, reassure them that it’s hard and that I am there, my older ones I give the mum glare to and ask them what’s going on

1 Like

It depends on the age… very young children have a hard time coping with their emotions and if my daughter throws herself down on the floor inlet her pout for a moment and she will get up and find the words to express her feelings to me. She is 2 and a half and I’m not saying she is the perfect child, she whines and pouts and wants like any other kid but she never kicks screams and has full blown tantrums either

Snatch them up take them home, refuse to take them out with you, but go places(store gas station etc) frequently and tell them they cant go because of the tantrums. Do this repetitively for about 2 weeks or until they say they wont misbehave,

1 Like

My oldest tried it one time and I just walked where she couldn’t see me but I could see her. She stopped and got concern as to my whereabouts. But this was 33 years ago

1 Like

Hug them that works with my son lol. Letting him or walking away would only make it worse!

I try to ignore it or they get a spanking

1 Like

Depends on the child.
I used my moms trick…
Lightly pinch under the arm, by the arm pit. Not hard bc it’s sensitive…
Get on their level, smile and explain that knocking it off is in their best interest. The handful of times they tried me again, we went home.
Only once did I pop one of mine in the store. Oddly enough, never had another issue with him. Lol

1 Like

I think u should pi k them up and love them i mean give me a break what can u do.

I love that spanking comments are not being ridiculed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Ignore it.
Removing them from the store will only show them that they have power over you, if they aren’t wanting to be somewhere, they just start crying long enough til you take them out.
Spanking majority of the time just adds to the chaos (sometimes I do pop my kids tho if they’re just being ridiculous)
I literally just act like I can’t see or hear them when they act like that tho, I may say “when you use your big boy words, we can talk” and I’ll leave it at that. I can count 2 times that my kids (2 & 1- only ever been my 2 yr old) has thrown a tantrum in public. They realize they aren’t getting anywhere by acting a fool so they stop. I get some looks but I honestly don’t care.

1 Like

If nothing else works…Walk away if the situation suits… they soon stop and run after you.

I would look at my daughter’s and tell them do we need to take a trip to the restroom their answer was no Mom because they knew I was going to warm their behind and it stopped immediately

I have an almost three year old… Most situations I am fortunate to not be alone with him…if I am alone I try to stay calm and silent and ride it out. For example if they are crying and screaming on the ground I attempt to pick them up and get out of the area asap…yes sometimes I am dragging them bc they stopped using their legs… If not alone I can simply tell their daddy hey take them out to the car they are losing it… But for the most part it is just staying calm… Looking a little abusive haha by dragging them and removing them from the environment for the respect of others ( either to the car… Or sending them off to run a fake errand like you and daddy go get the toilet paper… Gives them a sense of purpose). I tend to avoid all eye contact with strangers and try my best to remain calm and not feel embarrassed… We have all been there and I try to think that other people are understanding of my situation.

1 Like

My son used to do this! The store knew me so I just walked away and stood on the outside of the aisle watching him. When he was done he realized I wasn’t there and panicked so I came around the corner then. Said ‘are you done?’ I did not buy what he wanted either. Only happened one time.

1 Like

Happybirthday Samantha. I love U.I’ll get back to U as soon as I can

Depends on what the problem is and if anything else is a factor such as over tired and if it’s just a tantrum or if they are trying to hit or whatever

1 Like

As a mom who believed in spankings (3 swats to the behind always got my point across…) with that being said …I would ask my daughters "Do you want to have to go to the ladies room?’ which they KNEW meant they were going to get a spanking. Just the threat of that usually stopped whatever bad behavior was going on.

Thankfully my daughter never did that! I have seen parents leave a store with a cart full and just take their kid and walk out.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to handle toddler tantrums? - Mamas Uncut

Next time u leave to go somewhere u tell her she cannot go and continue to not allow her

8 Likes

Welcome to parenthood

4 Likes

First off don’t cry in front of her. Set her down and tell her that her behavior will not be tolerated and her going is a privilege. Try again and if she starts up just leave.

1 Like

Just wait I’ll straighten her out

Give them a pop on the rear. Explain why.

13 Likes

https://refer.earningcash.co/Lansing1

Children do no know how to explain their feelings. This is the only way they know. It’s not fun for the parents that’s for sure. When they do this the right thing to do is ignore them or take them to the car. Tell them when you are finished and your tears are dry you can go back in the store. Put them in their seat and stand outside the car and let them go. It is so hard to do but it works

4 Likes

First of all momma, wipe your tears, straighten your clothes and your crown and take some breaths. Today was a bad day. Talk to your child, let them know what they did was not right, that you are disappointed and that there are consequences to bad behavior. The worst thing you could do is turn a blind eye and pretend it’s ok and didn’t happen. Kids test boundaries, show her who the boss is and punish her in the way you see fit. Make her understand that outings are a privilege and if this continues, she will be staying home a lot. Stick to your guns momma, you got this!!

13 Likes

Spank her a** seriously and don’t take her out anywhere for awhile until she starts behaving. Put her butt in time out no matter where u are at and if she tries to get out of time out put her little butt back and keep repeating till she stays in time out then when she’s done with her time out you get down to her level and tell her behaviors are not okay. Take her toys away take everything away from her until she starts behaving seriously yes it’s hard and other ppl won’t agree but guess what taking her stuff and losing everything from tv to toys will show her that you mean business and each time she acts like she is you repeat the time out thing and taking stuff away from her. Don’t give in either.

Walk out the store until she stops do it again and again until she learns let her know what you’re coming for and what you are affording that day.

2 Likes

My daughter got pretty bad between 3 and 4. Super emotional. My son is 4 and he gets crazy tantrums sometimes too. His are more physical. They out grow it usually but you definitely have to set down rules. Shop with your partner and be ready to leave wherever you are the instant they get an attitude. We go to the car and I have them sit there until they calm down. If it starts before you leave the house then keep them home and explain why they can’t go out. If they don’t calm down I do time out right infront of me against a wall and they can’t get up until they completely stop crying and screaming. If it takes an hour then so be it.
If that doesn’t work I start taking toys and everything else the worse they get. Then day by day I give stuff back as their attitude gets better.
Every parent who sees what happening has been there. Don’t be hard on yourself. Kids are NUTS. No kid is perfect all the time but there are definitely great moments between the craziness.

7 Likes

Big feelings in a little body and she doesn’t know how to handle them you have to help her understand. We set expectations with them before getting them out of their seats and before we go in the store. And if capable we remove them from the situation when it becomes a situation let them have there meltdown without speaking to them. Once calm we talk about why we had to leave or walk away and why there tantrum was not acceptable and remind them of the expectations we set before coming in.

5 Likes

First off. You did the right thing. You didn’t let her have her way. Let her kick and scream. Don’t let it embarrass you. You had to show her that a fit isn’t going to get her what she wants. So you did the 100% right thing. Second. Stand your ground. When you go to the store again…it’s a new day. It’s a new chance for her. And you. To try again. If she throws a fit. You do the same thing. You take her and leave. Don’t give in to her demands. Eventually she will get it. My child only threw one fit about a toy. Once. And we walked out not buying anything. She never did it again.

You DID THE RIGHT THING MOMMA.

She does not hate you. Let her have her moment. It will go away and she will come back and give you love again. You can sit her down and explain that hate is a strong word. That she may not like you right now and that’s ok. Our children are not suppose to be our friend 100% of the time. They can dislike us in a moment anytime. And that’s fine. You’re doing your job right then.

I promise momma. She still loves you.

7 Likes

Also stop buying her things when you guys are out regardless if she’s good or not because if you keep buying her things she’s going to expect it each time which is prolly why she acted like a brat today at the store when u said no :woman_shrugging:t3: sorry I don’t sugar coat stuff and I’m blunt

11 Likes

Ignore her n walk away

2 Likes

My son started having g a fit in the store one day and I leaned down a d outlook told him that if he didn’t stop it, I was going to pull his pants down and spank his butt right there in front of everyone. I never did that so he was just looking at me and got real quiet and not one peep. Every kid is different.

My son ‘fell out’ on the floor in a fit at the grocery store check out. I ignored him and proceeded to walk out of the store. He quickly straightened up and followed me out. That was 40 years ago. He’s now a great guy and a great Dad. They sure grow up fast.

1 Like

First, understand she’s only 4. No. I’m not making that an excuse as she does need to be told in a calm but stern way that it’s not okay to be like that. My 4 year old is a pretty well behaved child however she has also been throwing fits and being argumentative about a lot lately. The other day we went to the mall and she threw a fit because she couldn’t ride the train. I then looked back at the day and realized we were out all afternoon in the heat, at a party, store, then mall that she walked as we forgot the stroller, and I told her we’d ride the train at the end, but when it was time, the conductor was nowhere in sight. So the meltdown came.

2 Likes

What did your husband do about the situation once you were in the car?

First off, congratulations on the way you handled this situation! Now dry those tears and remember that children have bad days too. They show their anger in different ways but sometimes they seem outta control. Toddlers can’t handle stress just like some adults. Now that being said, she needs to know that that was an unacceptable way to conduct herself in public. If you can, stop taking her to the store! Even at this age, she needs to know that acting out gets no snacks or prizes for a couple of days. I say this because toddlers have a short attention span and a couple days seems like an eternity. If the behavior continues, start over with no snacks or prizes! Good luck momma!

5 Likes

Well as soon as she starts the tantrum, leave the cart and take her out of the store. If she is still going, give her a swat on the ass, not enough to hurt just get attention. Then tell her if you act like you have been, no store for you

Spank her butt right there on the spot show her who is boss a spanking has never killed a child

Tantrum or no tantrum, don’t you ever let her hit, kick, or scratch you again! And stop that crying. I’m 66 and from the old school. You need to start carrying a belt. Wooden hair brushes and spoons work very well also. My daughter threw a tantrum in Montgomery Wards when she was about 6. I whipped out my hair brush and tore her tail up. It never happened again.

27 Likes

Jst ignore… N explain whn she calms down in gentle tone

Glad you stood your ground and said no!
‘Cause we DON’T reward or condone poor behavior…esp when continuing to defy and show out/carry on.

Yes I’m well aware children are little people with the same exact emotions as adults, they just don’t always know how to channel the negative emotions.(anger sadness etc).
She’s well aware.

And it’s so hard to ignore the tantrum(s) in public…good job mama and good luck😘

*all I have to say is “do WE need to go to the bathroom?, or do you wanna go to the bathroom?”
They both know a trip to the bathroom is NO BUENO​:bangbang::laughing:

3 Likes

Counseling. My 4 year old ain’t that bad but she makes ugly faces when she doesn’t get her way and one thing I was ever taught by an ex is “you trade with toddlers”. If there is something they want, you tell them they can have it later when they calm down. I ask mine a question to throw her off to change the subject. I don’t care who looks at me and my child in public. There are plenty of adults who throw a fit over not being able to get a refund with no receipt.

Toddlers are not adults they are learning so dun take it on ur ego… She is little… Jst gently explain her when u both r alone n explain whn u say no it means no

1 Like

I came across this one day and it sort of explained it quite well

9 Likes

You hear about terrible two. I wondered why nobody warned you about 4. And then I remembered the Caillou theme song “I’m just a kid who’s 4”.

2 Likes

I would’ve jerseys her pants down and blistered her ass

My son is 5 and has been acting that way since he was 4, trust me I understand its hard and very upsetting, he has done ALOT better once he realized that he wasn’t going to get his way by crying, I was a yeller for a while thinking that was the only way my kids heard me or knew I wasn’t playing… I listen to “how to stop losing your shit on your kids” (chill Karen’s its just about yelling i dont lose my shit, its just a title) it helps so much… we all love our kids everyone parents different and every child is different, my daughter is 6 and acted like my son at 3 and 4 my son is acting like this at 4-5. We take stuff away when they act up… tablets first then toys, tv… one time the only thing in his room was his bed, and he had to earn his stuff back… yes he is only 5 but he has to understand that you don’t just get what you want when you want it. Prayers for you find something that works for YOU.

try not to let her see u cry plus once things calm down take a drive u an her an go get the book but don’t tell her where y’all goin on the way ask her how did she feel when she said she hated u ask her how did she feel when she kicked your ask her who else makes her angry have a conversation about respect an also go to the library an show her a book about feelings or sumthn just make sure u an her spend time good luck n god bless

2 Likes

Someome.needs a booty spankin’!!!

9 Likes

Get a therapist immediately!

5 Likes

Yep, been there. Then, I realized my child is more important than what other people see/think! It is up to me to teach my child!
So I no longer felt embarrassed, only determined. (Mercer Mayer books are really good!!! I’m sure there are others)
It is all right to recognize the child’s feelings.
I am a mother of two (one on ASD spectrum…and I found myself as single mom also)
****When a child says I hate you! I said, “I am sorry to hear that, because I still Love You!”
Eventually, (once child is older) I still love you but I don’t like your actions…We don’t act /talk etc like that.

****When a child sticks out their tongue…I told the child “That means kiss me quick and don’t slobber!”
It wasn’t easy to stay a step or two ahead LOL
I spent many a nights thinking how to react/ and what consequences there should be…
Also, expect the tantrums etc and prepare ahead of time please

3 Likes

Children like us have bad days. Ignoring the fit and walking out was a great start. Second thing is tell her that kicking mommy or scratching mommy will get her a time out. If you get her out and she does something you have said no about straight to time out. Time out doesn’t start till she is calm. I have a 2 year old but I also have 4 older kids. I have walked away while they are on the floor screaming because I was the only one in the store. I simply said “I said no. If you want to have a tantrum that’s fine but mommy is continuing to shop. If you would like to calm down and walk with me we can discuss nicely why I said no.” Most of the time this got them to stop. The one time it didn’t I walked over to the next isle and waited. She is a happy healthy 8 year old today and well behaved mostly. Again kids have bad days too. But scratching, kicking, Hitting is not acceptable. She will learn faster than you think if you put your foot down now. We have the same conversation now when we go in stores and they are 13, 12, 11, 8, and 2. We are in here for this only. We will not be getting toys. We will not be getting candy. You have the choice of sitting in the car with dad or coming in and behaving in the store with me. No other options. If the 13,12,and 11 act up they get friend time taken away

1 Like

Not sorry for saying this but you need to spqnk her butt good and put her in the coner.

When she is calm talk to her about what happened

I learned this saying helps us a lot to avoid this. we came with a list and (a book) isn’t on our list today. let’s put it on our list for next time we go and we can think about what kind of book we might like until then."

2 Likes

If this behavior is out of the blue and atypical, take her to a child psychiatrist for play therapy to make sure nothing bad happened to her to trigger such a violent reaction all of a sudden. If she’s in a preschool, camp or daycare, talk to her teachers about what they see and how they would handle the situation.

If not, and maybe you’re in for more of this type of behavior as she’s reached this new phase, teach her words to express herself, (“Do you feel sad, mad, frustrated or tired?”) and sympathize with her (“I understand you are mad I said no. It’s hard sometimes to not get what you want when you want it and it doesn’t feel good, does it?” “Do you think yelling and kicking is likely to change m mind?” “Are you having a bad day and this is just the final thing that sent you over the edge?” “Some days are harder than others, aren’t they?”

During calmer times teach her methods she can use to calm down and get herself under control. Deep breaths, visualization, meditation, sitting in the car by herself and screaming, watching cat videos—ask friends and professionals what they recommend at this age. Practice these techniques together when calm, and pull them out early in the tantrum phase.

Tell her when she’s calm you and she can find solutions together. E.g. “We can’t get this book now, but let’s see if they have it at the library tomorrow.” “If you really want that book, maybe you could take on some tasks and earn the money to pay for it.” “If the store is too loud and distracting for you, maybe you’d prefer to stay home with Dad next time while I shop.” “If you feel you are getting really upset, let’s come up with a signal so we can leave before you blow up.”

Work hard to stay calm yourself and tell her you are both going to take some time out until it’s easier to talk it out and solve problems. Ask her if she would rather go for a walk, sit in the car, or run or jump up and down the sidewalk or wherever it might be safe to do so to help get her frustration out and calm down. Might be good to have a pillow handy she could punch.

Good luck. Make sure she gets adequate sleep, nutrition, vigorous exercise and fun.

2 Likes

Don’t take her to the shops

All these comments sounds so goody two shoes… I would have gave her a big as hiding right then and there… And sat her down to talk story time… She is going to do it again and again…

7 Likes

You only get what YOU allow.
Pull up your socks, and dish out some proper discipline.
You honestly don’t even sound like a parent.

4 Likes

Dude sometimes you have to carry your kid out like a surf board. Don’t feel badly because it happens to pretty much everyone at least once. Standing your ground is key and you did really well. Always do that so she understands the consequences.

As for the cause : Hunger, exhaustion from growth spurts, anxiety, or lack of good sleep in general are very common every day issues that can set a kid off. If there’s been any big changes in her schedule where she’s been introduced to new people or she’s suddenly shy around familiar people investigate it. If it all checks out chalk it up to a bad day. We all have them.

16 Likes

Look for an underlying problem. Red dye is often the cause of violent outburst. It is so nasty and is in most foods like white cake mix go figure. Another issue can found in children’s OTC medications and prescription medications is sudephed, it can really cause behavioral problems yes the drug they make meth from. Other allergies can cause behavioral issues as well so before you blame yourself or your baby look deeper please.

When she does them at home make her continue as long as she is not hurting anyone… tell her it is a privilege to act that way and she will earn in when she does it for 20 minutes or you choose long enough time to exhaust her… this gets rid of the behavior.

Mom did you ever do that? If not why or what happened when you did.
I don’t exer remember doing , but one trip to the bathroom with mom in my life was all it took .

3 Likes

If this is out of the blue has anything happened? A change in home life, school etc? Sometimes kids can just have off days like us. Ask her what the problem is she may open up to you.

2 Likes

Yikes! this ended up being a damn novel🤣
Sorry bout that. Hopefully something I said was helpful😳

Unfortunately tantrums come with the territory. Thankfully they do outgrow them. I have a now almost 3 year old boy and his tantrums aren’t really that bad, but one time a few months back he changed it up during a trip to home depot. He had a total melt down walking to the checkout line when he couldn’t play with the power tools🤦🏼‍♀️
Zero to 100 in 5.5 seconds flat. Dad was at work, but I had my other kiddos with me, so I was able to send them out to the car while I finished paying. Dang kid continued that tantrum the entire way home too, so rather than engage I just turned on the music (not loud) put the car in drive and completely blocked it all out (kids HATE that) he eventually got over it and I talked to him in the driveway. At two years old they don’t understand much, but I definitely still tried to make it as clear as possible that we cannot and do not get to behave like that… In public or at home. It was also the perfect time to explain to him that his actions have consequences and it will never be worth it. I have no idea how much of that information was retained, but knock on wood, it hasn’t happened since. Having gone through this with three other kids before him, I’ve learned that lots of things can help trigger a tantrum aside from them just not getting their way.
Example- skipping nap time, too many errands in a day, long car rides, excessive amount of time browsing the store etc. It’s no excuse, but things like that do play a part in it sometimes. So what I find helpful is tracking his behavior/cues. By doing that, I know when he’s had just about enough and it’s time to head for the check out.
I get in and get out as quickly as possible too and I avoid any and all toy sections like the plague!!! Most times we make it out with zero issues, occasionally we miss our mark by a few minutes and he starts to get a little fidgety and anxious. When that happens, I just remind him of the consequences and he usually stops before anything occurs. But mostly, I just try to run the majority of errands when he can stay home with dad, or send dad and he stays home with me. Toddlers tend to get over stimulated rather easily and sometimes quickly and since tantrums are pretty much a given at this age, if I don’t have to risk it then I won’t🤷🏼‍♀️ It’s just easier to avoid the whole thing imo. I’ve never experienced the hitting or mean remarks from a toddler and I’m sorry you did. I can only imagine the heartbreak you felt in that moment, so that above all else would probably be the main focus of our conversation. Reacting like that at any age is a big no no and needs to be addressed firmly but calmly. I mean I totally expect the occasional tantrum, overreaction, meltdown, but I will never expect or accept physical contact and hurtful words to be included. I’d also suggest that you don’t buy her anything but necessities for a good while either. It sounds like it’s the perfect time for her to learn that getting certain things is a privilege and not a right.
Keep your head up, take a deep breath and know that you are not alone in this battle :heart:
There are millions of us going through it right along with you!
I promise it gets better :raised_hands:t3:
… Until they turn into teenagers​:rofl::sob::woozy_face:

Can’t ask me nothing like this cause my answer is always “WHOOP EM” :woman_shrugging:t4:

19 Likes

She needs a counselor

Just be consistent. That’s it. Find a punishment and use it every single time she acts up.

2 Likes

Don’t be embarrassed. I’ve had to take my now 4 year old out of a restaurant doing the same thing. Thankfully I was with my family and just asked that they pack up my meal and bring it to me later. Out the door we went. Let me tell you, the next time he started up in a restaurant I threatened to do it again and he straightened right up. They learn. They don’t call 4 year old 4nados for nothing.

1 Like

Don’t be embarrassed!
I have walked out of many stores. Just stay firm. They will stop, but only if you keep up everything on your end and not cave in when you feel bad.

I took my daughter to the store the other day. She started acting up (she was tired from no nap) she kept trying to stand up in the seat of the cart and grab stuff off the shelf and I told her no she started throwing a fit I stopped the cart and told her we would leave the store if she wasn’t going to behave. She stopped when I said that. Might not work for all kids and my daughter is only 2

3 words WHOOP THAT ASS!

I can’t help but I am going through the same thing only my son does it every day without fail a minimum of 10 times a day, I’m currently going through a “parenting course” because apparently his “acting out” from no longer being an only child but his been doing it along time before his sister was born and the family care person hasn’t listened to what I’ve explained :roll_eyes::triumph: so if anyone does have tips send them my way also!!

2 Likes

Kids have big emotions that they don’t understand how to express. I think what you did was right. Maybe next time get on her level and just calmly speak to her and be like I understand that you are very angry that you can not get the book today. I would be angry to. Could you take some deep breaths with me (mimic taking deep breaths). I would follow up with when we get home I would love to read you any book that you already have.

As a parent of 4 I always try to set expectations of how I would like my children to act before entering the store. Such as we are only getting a few things today we are not toy shopping and we won’t be able to get candy at the register. I know that you guys are going to be my big helpers and when we get home I would love to show you how happy I am that you guys were great for mommy. What are some things we could do to show you my appreciation? Want to color or play a game together?

If all else fails I break out the electronics :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Send her to her bedroom when she acts a foolish make her sit on her bed bo playing nothing for 30 min and everytime she does this take away something she loves dolls ect

Id put a straight jacket and muzzle on him. He’d calm down then.
(Just kidding)

1 Like

My austistic child does this every time we go out of the home. Idk if its anxiety or what but I have to carry her out like a sack of potatoes sometimes. I would make an appointment with your doctor. There could be an underlying issue.

2 Likes

I guess I got lucky and my 4yr old absolutely loves shopping, even if he doesn’t get something. Not sure why. But if he randomly decided to do that, him and I would have a come to Jesus meeting in the middle of the store :sweat_smile::ok_hand:t2:

5 Likes

The few times my daughter would have a tantrum, I would grab her by the shoulders and tell her - that is enough- stop it right now!!! She usually did. My Mom told me she had a few tantrums when she was little and her Mother would throw a glass of water in her face and that stopped her.

4 Likes

My daughter did this.i laid down in floor kicked and.screamed just like her. It stopped her

6 Likes

So very sorry. I hate this so very much.

Beat her behind an punish her take every thing away

10 Likes

A good smack on the ar…

8 Likes

Umm the only thing that’s worked so far is me getting on the ground and mimicking the tantrum also. I think it kind of checks the child a little bit. Mine starts laughing

5 Likes

Put her in her room. Explain why she’s there explain that this behaviour isn’t acceptable. It is not ok to lash out because you don’t get your own way.
I think she is just testing the boundaries, and it went too far. Small people with big emotions.

My son use to throw epic tantrums when in public between the ages of 1-6 years old. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in the 1st grade, which helped explain those epic tantrums while in public. He was always pretty good at home, with just the two of us, but when over stimulated, those tantrums would surface. Common issue with children who suffer with ADHD, and no amount of good parenting will prevent them. The only thing you can do, is remove the child from what triggered the tantrum to begin with, which you did. Not saying your child has ADHD, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she does, but ADHD or not, removing the child from the environment that triggered the tantrum is always, the best solution.

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to handle toddler tantrums? - Mamas Uncut

Next time don’t take her to the store.

And when she is acting correctly take her and let her know not to ask for anything because you are only going for the things you need. Kids need to earn things. Remember your not her friend!

15 Likes

Sounds like someone was having a bad day!!! She’s only 4. We all have a bad day every once in a while!!!don’t let it bother you to much.

11 Likes

Nawww don’t be embarrassed, it happens and it’s normal.
Just remember when in these situations to remain calm, don’t bother talking or trying to reason during the tantrum as they can not understand reason when in that state of distress, you literally just have to ride it out, take her to a safe place and let her scream and kick and just ignore it. She will soon realise that is not how she gets attention or the things she wants. When she is calm and able to understand reason again, re-iterate why she couldn’t have it and maybe next time if she does the right thing she can get it :heart::ok_hand: good luck mumma

26 Likes