How to help my daughter start shaving?

Yeh she is the age to start shaving my mum got us an electric shaver not painful and my mum started to do it for us then we did it

I’m sorry but as someone who was told they need to shave at a young age like that… it makes you feel so bad about yourself… especially when a family member points it out. Maybe instead of telling her she needs to shave, tell her about shaving and educate her on it and say that it’s an option that she has but please do not tell her that she must shave to be clean (I know that may not be the intent here but that can be a feeling that comes up from you pointing that out to her). I’m not trying to bash your feelings for what you think is best for your daughter but please also think about how young she is. I know that I was very critical of myself at that age and it was a lasting impression in my little mind.

My daughter started highschool this year… she was 11 turning 12… she wanted to shave… I told her it’s better to wax them… so she gets her legs waxed now…

I would start with waxing if she really wants to get rid of hair… It lasts longer and it’s better in my opinion.

Unless she asked about it herself, I would highly suggest not bringing it up. I remember my mum only started teaching me because I was being bullied for having hair on my legs and she offered a solution that I agreed with. I was probably around 9-10. Don’t force your opinion upon her.

I would take her to get her legs waxed instead, but when she is ready and comfortable…waxing helps lessen the amount of hair growth and it can come back lighter or thinner compared to results from shaving

I got my daughter a electronic shaver 1st and just the other day she said she was comfortable enough to try a straight razor

Am worry about longevity than it being to young. My 9 year old was messing with armpit hairs and I offered her to trim them , because it was bothering her. So we used an electric shaver to trim them. Because I don’t want her armpits to darken quickly from the toll shaving does to the armpits. I remember when I started shaving my legs I was told to only shave the bottom half of them too… and now my bottom half at 35 grows super faster than my top half (thighs)… I get some kids are alot more hairy than others and I remember seeing the means kids in action with other kids and it’s not even nice to see it… I can only imagine how it feels to receive it. But at the same time if she’s confident enough to not care about what others might say ( with you consulting her of the possibility she might get made fun of) than… don’t start… ideal time would be 11, 12, 13. More middle school ish

My mom started me with hair removing creams for the first year and then moved to razors. I currently prefer the joy razors! And the magic shave powder is a wonderful hair removing cream. Both can be found at Walmart and I pretty cheap products.

I begged my mom to let me shave and she didn’t let me until I was 13! I went from As to a C cup overnight and started my period that same year. My friends older sister (15) shaved her legs so fast I was amazed at how “mature” she was lol :laughing::sweat_smile:

who YOU feel should be shaving??? yes your her mother but thats something she should decide for herself & i definately wouldnt say its something to think about at 9yr old unless she came to you to discuss!

1 Like

My mother bought me a mid quality nice electric shaver when I first wanted to start shaving and I have done the same for my granddaughter when she first started.

Does SHE want to start shaving? If the hair doesn’t bother her, let it be! Nowadays, social media and people make young girls feel like body hair is taboo and disgusting. It’s natural and human. Wait till SHE brings the concern up to you then you go out and buy the stuff together. 9 is still young & remind her she’s beautiful - hair and all!

1 Like

Oh honey nine is so young. My daughter is ten and we are trying to hold off until she’s at least 13. It’s so hard though kids are different these days my daughter has felt the need to shave sense she was eight but i keep reassuring her she is beautiful and a kid and to wait a lil longer. They will only grow back darker and thicker… also when we decide my daughter is older I might try hair removal cream as my daughter doesn’t like the sound of a razor she’s scared she will hurt herself. I might even take her to get waxxed by a professional when the time comes.

YOU feel she needs to start shaving? Wait until SHE feels the need. Young people don’t need their own mothers telling them they must style their bodies a certain way.

1 Like

Don’t use the cheap razors as they are much easier to cut yourself with. Maybe have her use a ladies shaving cream while seated on the toilet lid down for a seat. The cream let’s her know where she has missed. Also have her start use a nice lotion on her legs after to keep the alligator scales look away we sometimes get in the cold winter. She can put this on before bed and not be tying up the bathroom longer. I also went electric when I was a teenager because it was faster

Soooo judgemental LOL she is the child’s mother and the hide of yous saying she’s to young this an that leave her the fuck alone ? She doesn’t come bask at you telling yous how to raise your child/children like other people have stated it does grow back hairier and thicker and she will be doing it for the rest of her like but she’s a fucking mother and a women you think she doesn’t know that?! And like others have commented on bullying and stuff aswell you don’t know the factor behind the mother wanting to let her do it we all got bullied one time here and there and we hated it didn’t we? So why would we wanna put down anyone trying to help them selves or there daughter there sister there mother there friend out of that situation,just my opinion,2021 people need to be less fucking judgey and more supportive.

1 Like

I would probably stay her off by buying some shaving cream and her own razor - A good one like the Venus which comes with the aloe bars around the razor to prevent cuts.

I would show her how to use it by showing her how I shave first so then she gets a hang of it and can try it on her legs then too.

I started shaving at 10 as I have thick, dark hairs and would sneakily use my Mum’s razor as I was EMBARRASSED at that age to have body hair. There are a few judgemental comments here but honestly I feel put yourself in your child’s shoes. If they feel embarrassed and they are getting made fun of it’s our job to educate and inform and I personally see it as something you could potentially bond over. All women have to learn self care and hair maintenance at some point. Just some of us a little younger than others is all.

1 Like

Im a natural blonde, and thank god I listened to my mom and have NEVER shaved my legs. I have very fine, almost invisible blonde hair on my legs and its never bothered me or any man I’ve been with. My blonde sister, however, did start shaving her legs at 13 and her hair came back darker, she shaved all her life after that.

I totally started shaving in 3rd grade! I was/am a very dark haired, hairy girl. Had a girl make fun of me repeatedly and my mom taught me to shave. We bought a razor back in the 1980’s called “Flicker”. It had five safety blades all in one round shaver that you swapped by turning a wheel in the middle. You couldn’t get cut with it.

When she starts to grow armpit hair is when she needs to start shaving.

1 Like

My mum told me I looked like a gorilla and gave me a razor, I taught myself through trial and error, I was 11, and had just hit puberty. Be kind, and walk her through it, tell her the best creams to use, don’t do it every day, and always use lotion after to help with any razorburn.

Wait until she asks. Maybe she will never want to :woman_shrugging: society makes us women feel like we have to always be clean shaven all the time and it’s time to break that. Shave when you want whether it’s daily or never, but let her decide

Talk to her first … see if she even wants to shave. I truthfully think she is way too young to be shaving anything … NOW … if it were a mustache or unibrow then wax it for her but ya too young and plus what if she doesn’t mind the hair. I used to shave my coochie arms and legs literally every 3 days… my skin didn’t like that because like why do that to yourself ?! . Now I let it go for a week and a half ( with a trim) . :slightly_smiling_face:

If she wants to help HER DAUGHTER shave at 9 OR 19 that’s her right as it’s her child! If the child has hairy legs and it’s self-conscious about it wouldn’t you rather she talk with her own mom about it and do it the correct way!! Even at 9 they have body image issues She’s helping her self esteem so why not
Comment about a razor you like or leave it be
Personally I going The Dollar Shave Club is the best razor Closer shave long lasting Without a subscription the other is Harry’s brand Found them at Walmart But they are a 5 blade so please please please be careful
Intuition with the soap attached would be a great beginner razor
Good luck Momma

1 Like

I found out men’s razors and blades beat anything out there for a woman…at least for me and I started shaving mine at a
young age cuz the hair was dark and a lot… arms too!!
I was so embarrassed to say the least … had little boys make fun at me a few times cuz I had hairy legs 🥲

1 Like

If she is not bothered by her body hair then leave it until she decides that’s what she wants to do. However I prefer to use hair removal cream instead of shavers.

1 Like

Is she asking to do it or are you wanting her to? If this is cuz you want her to you may make her self conscious about it so I would suggest you back off, if she’s wanting to then pretty much any razor will do just teach her how to do it properly

1 Like

Why would you want your daughter to start shaving at an early age? She’ll be doing it her whole adult life and I think that’s long enough…lol…

1 Like

My 9 year old daughter asked me the other day to shave her armpits, she started growing hair when she was 7, I was telling her for so long it’s normal and she doesn’t need to shave but it’s what she wanted. She then asked me to shave her legs, to which I did say no to, because she doesn’t have very hairy legs and started so young it’s just makes it worse. I started shaving when I was 9 and always regretted shaving my legs as you couldn’t not shave once you start. Let her come to you when she’s feeling self conscious about it. Don’t push her into it.

My advice! Butt out and let her be a child. She’ll ask when she’s ready…12 or 13.

2 Likes

Let her do it when she is ready. I was very hairy very young, and hit puberty really early. My Mum wouldnt let me shave my legs or was my monobrow until I got home from my last day of Primary school (I was 6 weeks off 3yo). I was bullied relentlessly over it. Let them have some bodily autonomy over decisions with their body. Take the opportunity to educate them on the consequences of their decisions, its a perfect opportunity to speak your child consequence, and teach them about making decisions about their own body, for themselves.

My daughter started shaving at that age. She has beautiful dark.hair and very hairy legs. I bought her a safety razor…I don’t know if they still make the ones that are round and ez to use. Or a shaver…her Dad had a fit. I told him she doesn’t need to be embarrassed for such a simple fix…

I just started using Harry’s razors in the last few months and like them a lot. And refills seem to be cheaper than others. Using a cheap conditioner also makes it much easier to shave and works as a moisturizer!

9 is definitely way too young. I started mine when she was 12 and only because she started cheer and was self conscious of her legs. But 9 is not appropriate for shaving. She’s a child…let her be. It’ll be one more thing to worry about in this age of body shaming and lack of self confidence . She’s perfect as she is is what you need to tell her

I let my girls shave when they were 12 and showed them how. 9 years old is way to young, let her be a child for as long as possible.

Why at 9 does she need to worry about hairy legs? I was a jock and was more concerned with my jump shot and how fast my pitch was. Is she asking?? If not, I say don’t push, deodorant is another story.

3 Likes

Getting ready to teach her and offering young is a great thing. Just don’t push her too hard on it. Whatever razor you use is probably the best choice, and will make her feel the most comfortable because she probably trusts your judgement. But be respectful about it and let her know that she doesn’t have to start shaving and it’s totally okay to not, but if/when she’d like to, you’d love to show her. Also, I’d advocate for armpits first. Women’s deodorant sucks and shaving reduces BO smell. Plus tank tops and strapless outfits are pretty popular and that’s generally more noticeable than leg hair.

9 to young unless shes feeling pressured of teased. Start of highs school is ok when shes 13 and understand shes gotta shave every week. Honeslty i didnt start shaving till i was 15 but diff generations today

I started shaving my legs up to the knees when I was 9 because I was getting made fun of. I asked to be taught. My mom had nothing to do with the idea.

1 Like

If you teach her to do it without raising the blade off her skin, it makes for a much easier shave with less chances of cuts or burns! (Just like sliding it up and down the leg)

Your daughter so ur decision n hers when she should get waxing etc done
Secondly sometimes i knw kids feel insecure n less confident in growing age for these things
Start with waxing coz sometimes raxor cuts leave marks and takes ages to go . Best ov luck
Earlier the better is waxing it ll reduce hair growth n slow the process

It’s her body, let her decide IF and WHEN she is ready to start shaving. By you initiating it, you may be creating an insecurity where there isn’t one.

1 Like

Um, we shave to be sexually attractive or serious cycling and swimmers,why are you allowing a nine year old to grow up too fast .

1 Like

I don’t know how old I was but I got made fun of for having hairy legs but my mom got mad when I did shave. I think if she feels she’s ready then let her but don’t have her shave just because you want her to

I started shaving at 9 I got teased endlessly I imagine it’s worse early now. I had dark hair on pale white skin it was really obvious sadly

2 Likes

I was 12 (36 now), so times may have changed, but my mom bought me my own electric ladies shaver vs giving me a razor until I was older.

If she really wants to start, good on you for being a supportive parent and helping her with guidance. When my girls hit this stage I’ll probably go for a sensitive hair removal cream to begin with til they build the confidence to use a razor.

Women aren’t required to shave anymore and little girls definitely shouldn’t have to. Teach your daughter to love her body and save money on razors!

1 Like

If it’s something that hasn’t really concerned her, maybe don’t worry about it yet. Talk to her about it as a comfort level. I’d maybe intervene if she was being bullied about it and she brought up the concern.

I was around that age when I became aware of my hairy legs my mum always said it was ok as the hair was blonde but I was so self conscious about it so I shaved them in secret to start with . My daughter was the same age when she noticed her legs were hairy . If your daughter feels ready and is self conscious then I don’t see any harm in it . I’m not sure about razors but my daughter started with the hair removal cream as that’s what I used she’s almost 18 and still uses the cream as she hates shaving and feels the cream lasts longer .

Do what you feel is right by your daughter your her mum .

My response have her wear pants and leggings. But if she want to I guess. No I’m one of the lucky few I shave once a year only on my shins. Indian blood we dont grow much hair. So I’ve been told

Wow I love the so many judgemental comments :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: obviously you don’t understand why this young lady might be ready to start shaving. I come from European heritage and my hair is so coarse thick and black!! I was about the same age when I begged my mum to let me shave my legs and to wax my eyebrows as I was forever being bullied for my monobrow and hairy legs. Personally I use a men’s razor as it’s designed for thicker hair of a men’s facial hair. I only do mine in the shower or bath once my skin and hair has had a chance to soften and I always use shaving cream or body wash in a pinch.

2 Likes

The younger you shave …more hair growth you get …sometimes you get two hair follicles growing through one pore …making hair look darker and thicker…when the time is right still only go to the knee :slightly_smiling_face: hope this helps.

If she wanted to get rid of the hair I would take her to get them waxed. The hair will go fine and may not even return when she’s older.

1 Like

Personal opinion I think 9 is too early. I didnt start sharing till I was 12 or 13 when I got my period.

2 Likes

To young I feel, just let her be, you’ll knock her confidence, wait till she’s ready to start shaving not when you feel she needs to

NO! Way too young! Start out if she needs it with appropriate grooming, teach her what to expect with menses, but please do not start her shaving until it is necessary.

Does she want to shave her legs?? Sounds like you are the one that wants her to shave. Let her come to you, at around 12-13 then it maybe time. 9 is absolutely to young.

So glad my 10 year old granddaughter is still a child and doesn’t think about that, I believe let them be kids as long as possible you will be an adult for the rest of life🙂

The best razor is anything a man uses. I know this because my wife has her own razor but always blunts mine.
#Gillette #thebestyourmumcanget

1 Like

My mom started shaving my legs somewhere around 8, for cheerleading. It sucked bc I was the only one but back then my skin was dark so I had a baby girl mustache and haaaaaaaairy legs. She got me a razor with guard wires on it.

My 9 year old has hairy legs but hasnt mentioned shaving, shes more interested in doing her hair funky colors lol.

Let her decide when she is.ready to shave!

1 Like

I didn’t start shaving until after I got my period when I was 15, so 9 is definitely way too young. And also it’s her choice whether or not she wants to shave.

Schick intuition blades have a soft lubricating barrier around them and it’s hard to cut yourself. It also moisturizes your legs as you shave. Best thing I ever discovered for shaving. Good luck!

I was nine when I sneaked to shave mine but I got in trouble. I do think it’s too soon for most.

I wish I didn’t start shaving, now my hair is super itchy and grows in right after I shave. Maybe let her come to you when she’s having problems with it?

You feel? Or she feels? There is a difference, so don’t get it twisted. When she feels ready, start her with an electric razor.

My mother was very pushy about stuff like this (leg shaving, makeup, hair style, older clothing) & I was very resentful & did the exact opposite of what ever she wanted. When I was about 12-13 I just did it in my own once she had final let it go. LMAO she didn’t even notice for about 2 years. That should say something.

Get her this! :arrow_down: If she is wanting to do so, let her! I remember I was about that age when I started asking my mom about it because I was embarrassed by my leg hair lol… it’s totally okay for her to shave her legs! That doesnt make her less of a child. But this electric shaver is amazing, no nicks or cuts!! And it doesnt leave it silly smooth but does the job enough :purple_heart:

Finishing Touch Flawless Legs Women’s Hair Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FYCXMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_VNQZ4C8GZ8N0YFPY4574

5 Likes

She is tooooooooo young to shave her legs. Wait until she is 13yrs

1 Like

If you feel she needs to then that’s terrible. You can’t decide that. She’s 9! If she wants to then that’s fine. But I personally think 9 is way too young, she starts shaving now then ten years time when she’s my age her hair will grow back 10x thicker and longer because that’s what happened when you shave, I’d wait until she at least starts her period and hits puberty​:woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

Wait until she asks to shave her legs if you can. I may have been 9, I was very young, fair and black hair. I begged my Mom.

But why do you feel that she should do that? Because you were told you should? Cause I’m not seeing why this is an issue if she hasn’t expressed her own want or desire to shave her legs. Hair is not a bad thing, and it shouldn’t be a thing to need to shave. Everyone is entitled to doing what they feel makes them comfortable, and her being 9 and not expressing a need to shave, means this shouldn’t even be coming up unless you are talking to a therapist. Because this clearly isn’t her, but something you are projecting on her.

1 Like

She’s 9. Years. Old. What the hell.
I know that sounds judgement but I am most definitely judging. I don’t know why moms are so quick to let their little girls act like women. This was one of the biggest things my mom protected me from until I was becoming a woman. I would get made fun of, laughed at. All.the.Time. But even at the age of 12 after I got my first period, it still was way too early of an age for me to have my hands on a razor. My leg hair wouldn’t be so atrocious now if I would have waited.

Unless she asks, leave it alone. My daughter started shaving at that age but she asked if I could buy her a razor and show her how.

Wow reading these comments makes me sad. It is a parents choice. I tell my daughter how to dress, when to shower, taught her how to shave and she only 12. She’s been shaving since she was 9. You all need to get off your dictator high horses and mind your manners

Teach her SELFLOVE- her value and acceptance regardless of body hair (especially as a child :))

I’m all for learning proper grooming habits but 9 is still a little too young her skin is extremely sensitive but you can start by showing her with a fake razor one that doesn’t have blades . Then when she hits puberty she can move on to a razor or an electric shaver whatever makes her feel comfortable except waxing that is not recommend . You can also ask her pediatrician if you need more info .

She is definitely too young to shave her legs

1 Like

My mom wouldn’t let me shave until Jr high and it was torture. I had the hairiest legs ever and I got made fun of a lot in school. Not only did my parents not let me shave, they started calling me “Magilla Gorilla” so don’t listen to what anyone else says

Unless she specifically has asked you, why are you telling her she needs to shave? If she’s comfortable with her body, don’t start instilling insecurities in her she doesn’t have :roll_eyes:

It’s not upto you, it’s upto your daughter :woman_shrugging:My girl is 12 and still hasn’t shaved her legs :joy:, fair hair though so can’t really see them but I’d definitely wait for her to make that decision herself

Nooooo no shaving
Waxed at a beauty parlor …
She ll grow less and less hair as she grows older !!! Or veet solution
I rase but am blonde with less hair

9 and shaving her legs already!? Oh Lordy. That shouldn’t be something she should be worrying about until she’s 12 or 13 and in high school! But each to their own!

Let her decide etc but if it’s really bothering her, get her an electric razor. It’s easy to use and you can be pretty sure she can’t hurt herself :woman_shrugging:

Let her choose when she’s ready… just because you’re ready doesn’t mean she is. This is a razor you’re giving a kid…

1 Like

Let her be a child. She can worry about shaving when she’s a teenager.

1 Like

Try nair or some hair removal cream…thats what I didn’t with my daughter at 10…

If she is going to start either go with waxing or an electric razor!
No scars, no trauma!

Really. ? ? Leave it be. It sounds like YOU want her to shave . She’s too young.

2 Likes

I started my daughter with depilatory cream. Doesn’t seem like a big deal that way. I bought the spray one, told her to stand in the tub, I sprayed her legs and told her in 5 min your legs will be so soft. Once we did it, she loved the feel and kept at it.:ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

I wasn’t allowed until HS even though I had dark thick underarms. Gym uniform was sleeveless and although I could have been athletic it was hard to throw a basketball with my arms hiding the hair. I let my daughters choose for themselves.

Idk my daughter is 5 going on 6 and I teach her about her female body. and when she has hair it’s her choice to shave not what other people think what she should do. She will always be beautiful… I started shaving in 8th grade and I was super confident in myself with hair and without. Talk to your daughter and see if she’s really ready to start shaving . Explain that it won’t be only her legs it would be under arms too. #SpaDay

1 Like

Why not wait until SHE let you know when she is ready…once she starts it’s a like long commitment… I did not shave my leg until the age of 16 an accident foor injury ment once healed the bandage had to be shaved off…

1 Like

My bf (who is mom and dad to his 3 kids) and I just had this conversation tonight. His daughter is just now 13 and finally must be getting some peer pressure cuz she asked for razors…he in the past has told her…whether you shave your legs and pits is up to you…I dont care either way but your going to get to a point when other kids start to notice and I don’t want you to be that kid who gets made fun of…anyway…I guess as a new 8th grader this is now important to HER. I told him to get 3 4 or 5 blade razors so she doesn’t cut the crap out of her legs going to fast…he already got her the 4s😁…he’s such a good dad

1 Like

Some children start puberty earlier than others. People are just assuming/jumping to conclusions from one post. The 9yr old could of asked or shes being picked on. Or the mother wants to save her daughter from embarrassment because we all know how cruel other children can be nowadays. Instead of judging just offer constructive advice without making the parent feel shxt

1 Like

She could have pcos, one of the symptoms is excessive hirtuisium due to hormonal imbalance. Might want to see a doctor.

Waxing is better. I wish I’d waxed, not shaved.

1 Like

And yet again the Female of the species bows to the “perceived image” given to us by the Male of the species, that we should be hairless, skinny, pretty etc etc ad infinitum :confused: