How to increase milk supply?

Lactation cookies!! Oatmeal and flax seed! I went from having just enough for baby to complete overload the next day!

fenugreekā€¦I used it for my last two and it worked like a charm. Also pumping after a feeding will def increase your supply. Donā€™t stop pumping until 10-15 min after you are empty. Trust me you will get more than you need. Drink a lot of water! At this point getting her to cooperate with nursing might be hard but pumping is still a great way to do it. When I pumped I left my pump stuff out and would pump every two to four hours. The trick is to keep pumping after your breasts are empty. It stimulates your body to make more.

I felt like this when I couldnā€™t feed my baby it was devastating to me. It was also the hormones too. Xx

Letting yourself get upset isnā€™t helping, thatā€™s the way it goes sometimes and your baby will be just fine taking a substitute bottle

8 months is to old for breast milk

6 Likes

Body Armour drinks .

2 Likes

You are not alone, and youā€™re not a failure as a mother. Trust me Iā€™m in the same boat, although thereā€™s a light at the end of my tunnel. The more you pump you will see an increase. Iā€™ve been pumping every two hours for a little over a week and Iā€™ve seen an increase. Body armour drinks do work, you can also try eating oatmeal. Good luck darlin! Also might I add that my baby is not quite a month old, Iā€™m basically struggling to get my supply going and because of it weā€™ve struggled with my son gaining weight. Fed is best, but I COMPLETELY understand how you feel because Iā€™ve cried so much on my journey to get started.

Body armor drinks, oatmeal and lots of water. Feed on demand and pump if you need a bottle supply.

MILO MILO MILO
Thats kept me off medication so far my bubba is 5mo.
Oats for breaky are great too and oat milk in coffee is also a good one.
Best if luck.

Have you tried a Haakaa pump? I always got more with a haakaa over an electric pump!

I can very much relate to your story. Both my babies were traumatic c-sections that I struggled with majorly after birth.

And we had latch issues as well - with my first, we got his tongue tie clipped and that helped immensely. With my second, I just used a nipple shield until he was able to latch properly around 4 months old. With both, I supplemented when needed - more with my second because he was a NICU baby. Trying to keep up the supply for the demand was too stressful and not helping the supply problem at all, so supplementing was necessary for me.

You are not a failure or a bad mom or inferior for supplementing. No matter what way this goes, you are an amazing mom who is doing what is best for her child. :heartpulse:

Get advice from a qualified Lactation consultant. Lucy Ruddle IBCLC is amazing and helped me so Redirecting...

Your husband is likely weary from the emotional state youā€™ve been in and honestly believes ā€œ itā€™s not a big deal ā€œ. He is right.

Youā€™re no failure. There are plenty of us nursing moms who experience struggles with breastfeeding g/pumping. When babies are newborns, nurses and doctors encourage skin to skin for at least an hour. She may be 8 months, but maybe that will help a little? Also, maybe pumping to get the let down started then try her latching again?? My son never latched and I could only produce until he was 4 months but I was given those words of wisdom

I personally donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with you feeding your child formula after 8 months of breastfeeding. I am a mother of four and never breastfed with a single child. I was a working mom I have a full-time job I didnā€™t have time to deal with all the inconveniences of breastfeeding. Good luck to you though.

Honestly for me, staying hydrated was the biggest help while I was pumping for my little guy (who is ten months old now). While I was pumping I was getting so discouraged because I was just barely pumping enough for him to eat. I donā€™t know the details of your issue with her latching, but when my guy wasnā€™t latching I just kept trying to put him to the breast anyway. He eventually learned to latch correctly.

Donā€™t be so hard on yourself, like you said, a fed baby is best. :heart::heart:

Body armour drinks and bai coconut water drinks were a life saver for me and get some original oatmeal (not microwave not the one Minute stuff but the whole oatmeal) have you a bowl of that every morning Iā€™d always add local honey and chia seeds to my oatmeal, have your oatmeal every morning and drink at least 2 of the listed drinks and drink water :sweat_drops: , once I added these things daily and realized I would have dips in supply then like magic my milk supply became drippy lolz this was around the tenth month mark, we nursed for 14 months. Iā€™ve delivered 3 living children and one stillborn, 3 vaginally 1 by cesarean and Iā€™ll be the first to admit Iā€™d deliver 3 more vaginally before Iā€™d even consider another caesarean, it was one of the most traumatic experiences of my whole life, of corse I adore my children but honestly that caesarean made me love him obviously in an extra way but more. Congrats to you and you should give yourself a pat on the back for being able to pump that long, thatā€™s real :100: dedication right there and maybe you need a good girls nite or whatnot and let your hair down for a little while it could possibly allow you to allow yourself to relax and kinda find some balance and balance mos def helps every aspect of daily lifeā€¦ oh and the very best advice I ever had while nursing was, do not quit on a bad day :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart: good job to all loving mommas out there :fire:

My midwife told me to take a fenugreek supplement which worked for me as on my 4th child I wasnt producing enough milk. They werenā€™t expensive either.

drinking a beer will increase your milk

Oatmeal!! I would eat at least two bowls of oatmeal a day, and put brewers yeast in it (be cautious, it doesnā€™t have a good flavor) but putting brown sugar and butter in it helped mask that, it helped tremendously. I also took fenugreek, drank blue gatorade (i think that one is mainly a myth but I did everything lol) The brewers yeast works really well though. They sell it at health food stores or on amazon.

Have you had your child checked for tongue tie? Thatā€™s one of the problems children have with latching. Even if you have to pump. Sheā€™s still getting your milk. And some formulas are pretty close. You got thisā€¦

Well you been on it for some time now if I understand correctly. Maybe heā€™s just sick of you complaining about something youā€™ve no control over. Iā€™d tell you the same after 6 months

4 Likes

Ya youā€™re doing to much fr.

1 Like

I agree with these last two ladies. Do what you can and supplement the rest but being a basket case over breast feeding is a little much. You may be stealing the joy of having a nee baby from him with all your emotional complaining. Chill out itā€™s just milk. Enjoy your child, do your best and let the rest go.

2 Likes

Donā€™t stress mama. You know fed is best. Formula gives them what they need too love. Drink body armour. Use a heating pad on your breast before pumping and also give your breast and chest and evrn your armpit a massage. Gently rubbing downward toward your breast do this for a few minutes. Then apply heat again and while you pump. Cover yourself up and donā€™t look at how much your producing play on your phone or watch TV just distract yourself. Even drink and eat while pumping. You might need to.increase your calories too. Choose things with healthy fats like avocados. And chocolate helps make creamier milk. But just relax. Also if your not getting enough sleep that does make a difference too.

Youā€™re not a failure.some women never.produce milk youā€™ve given your baby the best start dont put yourself down

1 Like

Your most definitely not a failure as a mom. It can be hard to keep up milk supply sometimes. Having to supplement with formula can make you feel bad but itā€™s okay. As long as baby is getting fed. A combination of both breast milk and formula is good for baby. You can get a tea called motherā€™s milk. Or lactational candies and cookies from Walmart and other stores. You can also try a health food store or talking to a lactation consultant. Drinking lots of water thought the day will help also. Eating oatmeal can also help! Donā€™t beat yourself up over not being able to constantly breastfeed. Your doing an amazing job! If your able to pump do it more often. Or have your daughter feed from your breast and then pump after this can help produce more Milk. Good luck! Keep your head held high. Your an amazing mom!

1 Like

My son never latched on, pumped for four months, then formula, heā€™s healthy as can be. Try not to stress, stay hydrated, youā€™re doing great.

Sheā€™s 8 months give your body a break and switch her to the bottle. We canā€™t always get what we want but just be thankful you got 8 months in.

1 Like

You are so lucky to have breast fed this long. Iā€™m glad you care. Speak to your doctor about post pardam depression. Raise a healthy child
Iā€™m not making light of this, it was my wish but I have adopted children
Mom had six kids and could never produce enough milk. We all grew up healthy

Stop using fenugreek. Thats the likely cause of your supply drop.

eat oatmeal they say that increase milk

Drink beer. Itā€™s what my pediatrician recommended, and if you drink enough you wonā€™t care about this anymore! Also I found if I drank tons of water it helped.

Alfalfa pills. And iodine- a couple drops (not dropPERS) in water , a couple times per week.

He just doesnā€™t know how to be supportive in this situation and itā€™s frustrating for him as well to see you this way because he also feels helpless because thereā€™s nothing he can do to help you.
Try a nipple shield to help with latching. Or hold baby close to your chest as you pump. Warm compress on breast before feeding. Oatmeal and mothers milk tea help increase supply. Speak to a lactation consultant. My son had trouble latching until I found the perfect hold for him (football) so he was able to latch on easier.

1 Like

Milky Mama, LLC they have supplements and goodies that can help increase your supply. Helped me with my first baby around 8 months when my supply dropped (bc of work). Good luck

Pump every 3 hours, donā€™t give up it will eventually come it took me days but finally came in , eat oatmeal it helps bring in your milk trust me! Drink plenty of fluids as well

Everyone is giving advice on breastfeeding, but I donā€™t have any. My baby didnā€™t latch and I didnā€™t have much of a supply to begin with. Gave up pumping a couple weeks in after it took me 45 minutes to not even get a quarter of a bottle. But you said your husband is usually supportive. Itā€™s emotional to you, but maybe cut him a little slack. You said youā€™ve tried everything, and seeing you cry is probably frustrating to him because he canā€™t do anything to help. Most men want to be the problem solvers and he canā€™t solve this.

I swear by the electrolyte drink Roar. It has coconut water in it which can help with milk supply. Also, are you watching the pump while you do it? They say that can affect how much you pump. But also, you are not unreasonable to expect compassion from your husband when it comes to your disappointment about breastfeeding. But, the fact that you are continuing to do so through your struggles, makes you a super mom! Exclusively pumping is not easy and you have done it for 6 months!

Goats milk is a great alternative to formula. Motherā€™s Milk Tea, as directed, did wonders for me.

Oats help whether it be oatmeal, oat milk, the oat of this world ben& jerrys icecream or whatever. Increasing water or really any good for you fluids is good too

You are not a failure for not producing enough milk. I have a niece in law who feels the same way when her supply ran short a few months ago. There is nothing wrong with formula.

My sister is using these tablets prescribed by her dr and these r working

Breasts are not just for food sometimes they are for comfort too. It does not matter how much milk you produce or dont produce the fact that you are offering your breasts are all that matters. I breastfed my daughter for 5 years and I did not have enough supply to feed her either so once she started eating my supply dropped but it didnt mean my bonding and love needed to stop think about it children need that comfort suck thats why they make pacifiers up to 24 months old. I was a self weining mother due to cultural reasons my husband is native. They believe in self weining. That is besides the point donā€™t ever feel like a failure or feel like giving up. You can still offer your breasts even if you have little to no milk in them babies need that comfort and love would you rather them get it from a piece of plastic or from you?

I couldnā€™t produce milk after 2 weeks and it was hard but I was more focused on making sure my baby was getting everything he needed