How to introduce a toddler to new baby?

Experiences on a 18 month old meeting a newborn baby for the first time? I’m so nervous and excited for my babies to meet! He is such a sweet boy I can’t wait for him to meet his baby sister. At that age, I’m not sure how much he will truly understand.

3 Likes

I had just family in the room and my son got in bed with me. No holding at the time but this way he could watch her and see how she ate and had her diapers changed.
He was fine. He would love on her until she got mobile. :joy::joy::joy::joy:
“She’s touching my THOMAS MOMMY!!!”
Good times. :blue_heart::blue_heart:

Following since mine will be 20 mos apart :heartbeat:

My daughter is just a little over 2 n we just had a baby 3 weeks ago. She loves her baby sister i have to watch because she wants to pet her head n cover her with blankets. There’s been some jealousy where she want me to carry her like a baby. When she first met the baby all she could do was say awwwe cute.

Get him a baby doll stat… Teach him how to be gentle with it, help fetch the blanket, bottle etc. Works wonders for helping prepare for baby :slight_smile:

mine will be 21 months apart!

Mine are 22 months apart. They met in the hospital and have loved each other ever since (my youngest is 6 months old). My 2 year old is generally gentle and helpful with him. It’s the best, enjoy!

We just had our second 7 weeks ago, my daughter was 20 months at the time. We got her a baby doll at Christmas to practice being “gentle” and taking care of a baby. In the hospital I had a bag of goodies waiting for her from the “baby” with a couple small toys, big sister book, balloon and snacks (helped keep her occupied in the hospital room too) Best advice I got was to not be holding the baby when she came in the room, she hadn’t seen mom or dad in a few days so I wanted time with her before I introduced her to the baby. At home I tried to involve her as much as possible like getting diapers and still getting some 1:1 time with her.

2 Likes

My girls were 18 months apart. My 18 month old was asleep in the delivery room when I had her sister, things went a lot faster than planned. After she was born she woke up and gave her a kiss on the head. We just kept repeating ourselves that she’s a baby you have to be easy and would let her “hold” her sister when she asked. They are best friends and hate being apart.

My daughters are 11 months and 2 days apart and preparing my older daughter I had her play with dolls and to be soft and be gentle and she did really great…when she met her sister for the first time she was so excited and was always so gentle and every time the baby cried she would check on her sister and try to get her to stop crying…now they are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 and they have such an amazing bond…look at the excitement in my daughters eyes when she met her sister :purple_heart::purple_heart:

4 years old and 3 years old (1year and 3 months apart) 1 year old and 2 months old(10 months apart). My 4 year old was great and helpful with my second oldest. My oldest 2 were amazing nd helpful with my 3rd oldest. I was a bit worried with my 3rd but she has been amazing loved giving hugs and kisses. They all do. Hold each other, hugs and kisses and play with each other. Even their big 8 year old brother is great with all of them. We even do one on one with them. Not as much as I’d like but we make sure we do.

My boys are 16 months apart. I had to constantly remind my oldest that his bubba was still new and couldn’t play. But he was amazing with him. He understood his brother needed bottles or diaper changes and he’d bring me diapers or toys or a paci if the baby was crying.

Hes probably not gonna care lmao
My son is about to be 2 and i had his sister and he really didnt even care
Sometimes, now that hes adjusted to her existence, hell randomly kiss her head hut beyond that he still doesnt care lol