How to keep a toddler entertained?

hi mamas, i have a 2 year old son and a one month old son. i’m a full time mom my son doesn’t go to daycares. so he’s always with me home. i try my best to keep him entertained. i don’t have mom friends. i’m so bad at making friends i’m a shy person lol. anyways yesterday his grandma took him to the park and sent me video of my son going on the slide and it just made me so sad cause he was sitting there looking at other kids made me feel like he needs friends😥am i being crazy mom or what?! my question is how do u make mom friends?!! and does my son need a friend he’s 2 and doesn’t talk yet just few words! i cannot wait till his brother is a little older so they can play together😭

Before my one month old was born i use to take my 2 year old to indoor play grounds, water parks, and other fun places few times a month. And i would still not make friends i would say hi how old is ur son or daughter and freeze not get their number or anything :woman_facepalming:t2: Help!!!

6 Likes

Daycare would do him alot of good.

I’m in the same boat. I’m super socially awkward :sweat_smile: but really you just have to get your confidence up, I’d totally be your mom friend and we could meet awkward together. 1 have a 9year old, an almost 2 year old and a 2 month old. Making friends is really hard because everyone says ooooh yeah let’s get together but then it never happens because life gets in the way.

5 Likes

Yes it is important for your son to have interaction with other children especially for his development. Although you may feel awkward im sure everyother mom who is sitting by themselves is feeling the same way but are putting their childs needs before themselves

1 Like

See if there are any local mom groups that you can join. It’ll help you make friends and your child will be able to socialize with other kids. Being around other kids will also help him with talking.

I have the same problem no mom friends and no young kids in my family. My son is 18 months. Look into a playgroup near you. I had him in one we went every wedmesday from 9 to 10. I just moved and found him a different one. They have open play time in this huge room with all kinds of toys and is more relaxed they have open play from 9 to 10 and 2 to 4 four days a week. Find something like that! Itll be good for u and him

1 Like

Look on FB for some local Mommy groups. I think it’s good for him to have a little friend to meet up and play with at his age.

Check into events at your library and community centers. They usually have craft times or even a walk in the park with kids in the same age group.

Same, I have social anxiety, I’m so so scared opening up to anyone, shit I don’t even know how to say hi, lol I have 2 people that come over my house, plus I don’t trust anyone anymore :person_tipping_hand::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Go to the park sugar. You will all three make friends.

Sometimes local libraries have stuff for toddlers and baby’s you could make mom friends there.

2 Likes

I enrolled my son in a daycare for 2 days a week for this same reason. It was wonderful for him.

3 Likes

I feel the same way. Except mine was in daycare for 5 months. Due to health reasons we are home and we basically live inside closed doors. He never meets a stranger and when we do get to get out of the house he gets so happy.

1 Like

Put him in a class at a community center, my 2 yr old daughter takes ballet and has made lots of friends. I did a music and movement class and other boy stuff for my son. It’s a good way to meet other moms too.

Your local early women’s centre would have Mumma group for you to join for your new Bub- first step forward :blue_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart:

Daycare is necessary for some. Too many in daycate stay sick so I would make a different choice

Get involved with activities through your local park district with him, join a mom and tot group, go to the library with him for storytime, etc

Swim lessons at ymca. Churches have mothers of preschool groups for moms and kids. Sunday school.

Hello Topeka, it’s Monday!

*9am to 11:30am at the Velma Paris Community Center (6715 SW Westview Rd) the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library’s “Learn and Play Bus” will be making a stop.

*11am at The Toy Store is Story time.

*12:30pm to 3pm the Bookmobile will be at Azura Credit union at 29th & Croco, and from 12:30pm to 2:30pm at Walmart South.

*1:30pm to 3pm a Bookmobile will be at Avondale East.

*3pm to 5pm at Oakland, Crestview, Rice, and Garfield Community Centers is “Youth Open Gym.”

*3:30pm to 7:30pm the Bookmobile will be at Tecumseh United Methodist Church, and the other at Fairlawn Plaza Mall.

*4pm to 5:30pm at Mize Art Studio & Classroom is “Artistic Techniques for Teens.” Cost is $25 per week, with a $10 discount for paying the month in full.

*5pm to 7pm the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library’s “Learn and Play Bus” will move over to Countryside United Methodist.

Find a church that has a Mother’s Day Out program. They’re usually two mornings a week for a couple hours. Or the library will have story time. Sign him up for a gymnastics class. Join a gym that has child care.

It’s hard making mom friends. So I don’t try to. I just take the kids out where they can interact with other kids. We go to the park, library story time and my oldest has dance once a week. We recently had a couple play dates and I actually got along with the 2 moms. But it JUST happened and my oldest is 4.

1 Like

Maybe make cards up that you can have your & your kids’ info on so you can just hand them out to potential friends if you get tongue tied.

Go to church and you will meet great people. I’m the same way. Since I’ve been going to church my daughter is loving it every time I take her to the nursery. And the people at church are friendly they invite me to do things all the time. And the keep the kids safe and well entertainment

1 Like

Try county programs. My county has a website for parks and recreation, you can look on the website and sign up for classes that you go to more than once so you see the kids more often.

Also, nothing against you. Full time mom is silly. Stay at home mom would be better. Just because a mom works doesn’t make her a part time mom, or not a full time mom. All moms, good moms, are full time moms.

Go to the library and doing the reading group with other moms and make new friends that way

Take him to the park and let him make the friends for you, it’s ok if you don’t have allot of friends I was never friends with most of kids friends mom’s and it was alright