How to potty train girls?

I put underwear on my daughter and she was so excited she didnt want to ruin them. She had one accident and has been completely potty trained ever since.

We just barely got my 4 year old daughter potty trained not to long ago we rewarded her with treats when she went potty on the potty and if she didnā€™t she got in trouble same with my two oldest both boys and now weā€™re getting ready to start potty training my 2 year old hes not showing any signs of being ready for that though

We rewarded my daughter when she went. At the time Hatchimals were a big thing and she loved them so everytime she would pee she got a Hatchimal. Once she pooped on the big potty she got a bigger toy of her choice. Once she pooped on the big toilet it was smooth sailing from there, she was potty trained.

My son on the other hand is a different story :woman_facepalming::rofl:

My SIL potty trained my daughter (working mommy here) with a chart on her refrigerator for stickers! She was so happy to show me when she would get one! Also at home she got treats for every time she used the potty. I would not force it upon her because it could become a trigger for the future. When you go bring her in there and let her sit on her potty sit while you sit on yours. Also, we sang the potty song.:sparkling_heart:

When my daughter showed signs I took her and let her pick out her own pack of panties. I told her if she peed in then we would have to throw them away. She peed in one pair and we threw them away. She was upset for about five mins and never had another accident :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Potty pops/stickers or m&mā€™s! So many for pee and more for poop. Also, i put my oldest in panties and a tshirt, so it would be easier for her to get them down to go. She learned very quickly and was fully potty trained by age 2. Maybe try the potty watch on Amazon and potty books/movies too.

Unfortunately you have to wait until she is fully ready or itā€™s not going to work and just stress you both out. Believe me I have made that mistake. Be prepared with lots and lots of underwear. Put her in underwear and take her to the potty about every 30 min in the begining and have her sit down and try. Then gradually start putting more time in between making her sit down and try. Also keep asking her every once n a while if she has to go potty because kids wonā€™t want to stop what they are doing to go especially since your daughter is still very young. Be patient it will be hard especially because she is still young. I trained all mine when they were 3 it was still hard but they were a little bit older so they understood more. Use a reward system like mini lollipops or a sticker system. I made a sticker board for my kids and every time they went pee they got to put one sticker on the board and two for poop.

1 Like

Take her every hour, if she pees my ore often take her every half hour to try. Donā€™t wait for her to tell you because she doesnā€™t know how to connect the two yet, your training her to go to the potty. Also if she doesnā€™t get it after a while just stop for a couple of weeks. And wait until sheā€™s ready. There is no time limit or age that a child has to be Potty trained by, and if they arenā€™t ready, itā€™s not going to happen.

Iā€™ve read that if kids arenā€™t showing signs of being ready to potty train itā€™ll take longer for them to become ready if not forced to start to early but start when they arenā€™t actually ready. Look up online signs of being ready for potty training, and then start with rewards. So a treat when she goes pee and when she goes poop

Get a bag of hersheys kisses, when she goes potty give her one.

I take mine (both) when I go, every time, and then also every half hour or so. Sit for maybe 10 minutes max then come back and try again in half hour. She doesnā€™t need to go each sit, she needs to get in the habit of sitting first. Sheā€™s not yet understanding what it means completely.

I also went right to panties with my oldest once we got the habit of sitting, pull ups I feel are counter productive but they do work for other kids it was just my personal choice

1 Like

My 1st daughter I had her fully potty trained during the day (not at night) at age 2.5 years old. I put a timer on my phone for 20-30 minutes, I sat her on the potty every 20-30 minutes and used mini doughnuts as a good job type treat for when she went on the potty. And half doughnuts when she atleast tried to go potty. 99% of the time she didnā€™t have a diaper onā€¦ yes sometimes it was messy and had alot to clean up. I started her off naked. Then worked in to undies. At night was trickyā€¦ but Then I just kept on it for 9 months while I was pregnant with our 2nd daughter. By the end she was fully potty trained day and night. Bcz diapers are expensive. Our 2nd daughter is catching on alot faster than our 1st bcz of seeing her sister do it all the time. I am currently potty training her now to, she is 2 years old and 3 months old, she only goes on the potty when she has no diaper on. Still pees in undies and doesnā€™t take her diaper off togo to the potty. Itā€™s a slow process. Sheā€™ll get there mama keep up the good work your doing great!

I left my daughter completely naked for 2 weeks, went to the potty ALL the time, like every 30 minutes. We played tea pots, colored, babies, nail painting whatever would make her sit on the potty. I made it comfortable with a seat that fit her bottom and a stool. Took 3 weeks to have it down, itā€™s been a couple months and now she is doing great (still accidents occasionally) but with my 2 1/2 year old it took time and patience :smiley: also I WORSHIPED her when she would go. I would say all kinds of nice things about her to her and say Iā€™m proud and she loved that!

I started early with one of mineā€¦ even though he wasnā€™t readyā€¦ just to get him used to itā€¦ I sing pee pee in the potty

I take him after he drank something eventually i just told him to pee on daddyā€™s tires and it was easier to train when he got older.

For now I get her used to it and take her after she drank something and she will let you know when sheā€™s ready once she catches onā€¦

1 Like

I have tryed everything my daughter just turned 4 and I been trying for 2 years to potty train her out of 8 kids she is the hardest and stubborn. I think Iā€™m going to try the potty watch itā€™s last thing I can think of.

With my daughter I took her to the potty every 30 minutes. If she peed she got one m&m if she :poop: she got 2 m&m. She got the hang of peeing in the potty in a few days. :poop: was a different story that took a few weeks. She was completely potty trained at 21 months.

Every hour and if she doesnā€™t go she doesnā€™t go but take her back every 15 minutes. But donā€™t scold her if she has an accident. Also nighttime training is more difficult then daytime training so I do suggest getting a plastic mattress protector

I just put my kids on a consistent schedule. They get up theyā€™d get out of their diaper an sit on the potty for 2minutes. If they went then they got a treat be it a handful of m&mā€™s or a sticker. If they didnā€™t go I just said you did good weā€™ll try again in a little bit. An I just would put them on every half hour until I got a good idea of when they would need to go or showed signs of having to go. Pee is the easiest one. Itā€™s number #2 thatā€™s harder to predict. Eventually you do get it an can figure out when they need to go. Really consistency and praise in moderation when they do go and also praise for them making the attempt to go even if they donā€™t is important. It helps them get to realize that itā€™s a good thing and it can be fun but also doesnā€™t get them to rely on only doing it for a reward. The pint is for them to do it so they donā€™t sit in the yuck anymore an gets them to understand itā€™s more comfortable to go in the potty. I have 6 girls. I wish you luck bc my oldest was 3 an a half when she was potty trained. Yep I got he to finally be good at it exactly one week before my surgery to have her little sister. Bedtime is harder for some bc they donā€™t wake up enough to know they have to go but once you get the day figured out then you can work on night. No liquids after a certain time before bed an no drinks in bed. After a bit you can tell when the best cut off time is an by making them go before bed helps reduce the potential for accidents.

Every kid will be different. But just take her over to it after meals/drinks or any time you notice the wee dance and fidgeting lol she knows what itā€™s for now so let her go as many times as she likes until it becomes common practice to actually use it. Patience is key.

Do every 30 minutes for short sitting spurts, engage her with a book to keep her seated :slight_smile: get special books for her during potty time that she ONLY gets at potty time. I have 6 sons one daughter who is 9 and a daughter on the way next month. My girl learned to potty faster and easier than my boys to be honest. Stay consistent. Buy her cute undies that has a character she likes on them (then if she potties in them throw them out, eventually sheā€™ll want to keep them so she will try very hard not to potty in them.) Also watch for signs
Not just a verbal of having to potty (fidgeting, holding self, squattingā€¦)

Dont ask her or wait for he to tell you ,you just say ok letā€™s go potty abt every 30 min or so . Then just go in and go . I always went on the potty also . Just be happy and stay on top of it and before you know it bam shes a big girl .

Take her with you when you go. She needs to understand what it is. Then, explain, she gets excited mommy when she goes.

Are you putting those pull-ups on her?
If so, I suggest not using those in the daytime.
Let her or boys as well wear big kid underwear.
That is a huge huge help and game changer alot of times.
Good luck Iā€™ve always had boys, but this has also helped many friends with girls Iā€™ve suggested it to.

1 Like

My daughter used her new potty about three times, then decided that she wanted to use the big toilet like mommy. So we went shopping and bought a ring that goes under the ring on the big toilet so she wouldnā€™t fall in. She loved it. She was around 2.5 years old.

Potty watch /Amazon
Book & fun panties you pick together /lots of encouragement & praise !!

Always let her wear her big girl undies explain to her she needs to wee wee in her potty when she has those on , eventually she will get the hang of it

I got this book on amazon and i read it and had my daughter potty trained in 3 days!

My method for both my boys and my girl was to make it a big deal day of and take away all diapersā€¦ I give it a couple days and see how they are doing. If they are distressed about it, I put diapers back on them and try again in a few months.

My method for both my boys and my girl was to make it a big deal day of and take away all diapersā€¦ I give it a couple days and see how they are doing. If they are distressed about it, I put diapers back on them and try again in a few months.

I bought fancy panties, she needed to be potty trained to wear them.

I bought my daughter underwear, got rid of all diapers one box of pull-ups for car rides and just let her run around naked half the time and took her to show her the potty atleast every half hour. It didnā€™t take too long.

1 Like

I sat it in front of the TV and let her run round naked til she got the feeling of when sheā€™s gota go down.

The little potty didnā€™t work with my girl. I got the seat that goes on big potty. I let her pick out her own panties at store and she wore those during the day. We set a timer for every 30 min and sat on the potty. When she went we made a big deal and got a reward. We did m&ms. Took 3 days but finally she got the peeing down pat. Pooping is still a challenge I just pay extra attention to her around lunch. Which is normally when she goes. First day we had 0 accidents we went out for ice cream. 2nd day with 0 accidents we went and picked out a toy. We are currently on day 5 no accidents :blush:

3 Likes

I did the run around naked on 4 out of my 5 girls sat a timer for every 5-10 min n they sat for 5-10 min and kept it going until she got it

I used m&ms with my daughter. she took me potty every 2 minutes I had to encourage her to wait a little lol.

3 Likes

Itā€™s going to take several days. Keep her with you in the kitchen or other room without carpet. Keep her something to drink with you. Let her wear training pants instead of a diaper or pull up. Let her sit on the potty every hour or couple of hours. If she has an accident in the training pants, sheā€™ll know right away and wonā€™t like it. If she does, say ā€œOops potty!ā€ And have her sit on the potty while you exchange the wet pants for dry ones and wash her up. Sheā€™ll soon catch on. The poop takes a little longer, but it works basically the same way.

My first girl I offered her big girl panties when she went on the potty all the time and that was it for her. My second is three now she really did better in daycare learning. At home sheā€™s just to comfortable and has a baby sister in diapers. I tried everything with her. At day care I think it was a peer thing. All the kids did so she did. At home I would sit her on the toilet and she wouldnā€™t go then 10 min later pee on the kitchen floor (we were trying training panties). We tried offering big girl panties, frequent potty time, stickers, high fives helped some but not consistently. She started making it to the potty 1/3 times. Finally I realized cause of something she said she just wanted me to change her diaper like I do for little sister. Sheā€™s caught in a I wanna be like big sister but I want doted on like little sister stage. This may sound mean but I litterally told her she was a big girl and she would be changing her own diapers. And she started immediately going to the potty consistently. Sheā€™s still learning to read her body so there are a few accidents where she just doesnā€™t quite make it to the potty. I just try to ask her a lot if I know she hasnā€™t gone. Not sure if any of this is helpful but really I think each kid is different. So you gotta keep look for their thing. My first was 4. Which also made a difference. In daycare they have to start training at 2 and by 3 they have to be potty trained. Which she did great there just struggled at home. Which they told me was normal cause of the peer thing and comfort of home.

1 Like

Turn her atlround have her color seat with washable markerā€¦ have her watch you pee. You get a peace of candy when you pp and wash ur hands :raised_hand:

Peice** thanks auto correct lol

1 Like

Iā€™m going through the same thing with my daughter. She loves to sit on the potty. But I canā€™t yet even get her to go potty on it. Iā€™ve tried rewarding with money, stickers, treats. But nothing is working lol

Try a seat on the big toilet. Get some little prizes for when she pees and a bigger prize for poops its just constant repetition and encouraging. Put her in panties she wonā€™t like the feeling of getting her undies wet compared to a diaper or pull up. A few times of peeing her pants will have her going potty in no time. I would still do at least a pull up at night just in case.

3 Likes

Itā€™s gonna be random. Today she might go once. Tomorrow not at all. The next day maybe she will go 3 times. Itā€™s all progress though. You have to encourage itā€¦ ask her frequently and set up a reward system to encourage her.

When I was potty training my girls, I let them pick their potty chair, and their big girl undies. Then they sat, naked on the potty, in the living room, watching their favorite shows. They would pee without even realizing it, be shocked and then we would dance and clap and have a little party. They liked it, so I kept doing it.

2 Likes

We always rewarded with m&ms and a good job song. If they had an accident talk about how gucky it is and that they want to be a big girl. Then once they get it down a couple times give her big girl panties and make the biggest deal about it ever. Tell her how proud you are and that you really want her to keep her big girl panties pretty. If she has an accident in them tell her itā€™s ok accidents happen. Then do it all over again

1 Like

Keep giving her liquids, if she has accidents reassure it itā€™s okay and next time we go pee on the potty. Use the toilet when she does as well, make it seem like you wanna go too. Count to 20 and sing the ABCs or a song. They wonā€™t want to sit on for more than 2-3mins and thatā€™s okay too. Donā€™t force it, they will hate it. My son is almost 3 and this was our 3rd time trying from taking breaks and we dealt with accidents, not wanting to go, tantrums and heā€™s finally getting it now and loves it. I personally didnā€™t do a reward each time, just made a big deal about it.

1 Like

In my experience, itā€™s easier to potty train girls vs boys. I made a potty chart with stickers and a prize box for my kids. Worked like a charm. So, use pull ups during the day and every 2 hours at least suggest she sits on the potty. If she goes, she gets to put a sticker on her chart. Once she gets 5 or so stickers, then she gets to pick a prize out of the prize box. I filled mine with candy and tiny toys from the dollar store. The reward system gives them that instant gratification for doing what theyā€™re suppose to do and also gives them the added goal to work towards so they can pick a prize once they reach it.

Give her time. Donā€™t create anxiety by hovering.

As a former daycare teacher that has helped potty train many kids, itā€™s not much different teaching boys or girls to potty. Take them once an hour to try. If they go, make a huge deal with lots of praise. If they donā€™t go, try again every 15 minutes till they do go.

It took my daughter a little longer when sitting on potty to pee at first sheā€™s 3 and has been trained for a few months now we got tired of pull ups so we just took them one day and put her in underwear

2 Likes

It took until sometime after my child turned 3 to potty train her and at first we just kept putting her on the potty even in front of the TV so that sheā€™d sit on it for a while to possibly potty and sometimes dada would play with her on the potty. After a while she was going potty constantly but only to pee. To get her to poop we had to stop allowing her to use pull ups during the day and now she pees and poops in her potty. And now we keep it in her bathroom. And for whatever reason she always asks permission to go potty when I tell her that she only has to ask when she starts school

According to doctors you canā€™t push it itā€™s something that will come naturally my daughter wasnā€™t potty trained till she was almost 4 years old I did try and try she didnā€™t want no part of it one day she just went on her own been doing it every since she is 8 now but I would say let her go to store get what panties she wants and rewards everytime she goes all kids are different you got this mamaā€¦

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train girls? - Mamas Uncut

Wait. Sheā€™s only 18 months. My doc said thatā€™s the absolute earliest to try.

1 Like

If sheā€™s not ready, then donā€™t push it. Wait until sheā€™s showing signs of readiness. otherwise itā€™ll be pointless.

4 Likes

Rewards are great. 18 months great age to start and girls are easier than boys!!

No undies, put her in a long shirt no diaper no underwear ask her if she has to go potty often. If she pees on the floor have her help you clean it up. Donā€™t start this tho till she shows signs of interest in going potty on a potty chair tho. You can actually regress a child if you start to early. We also let her color on the back of the toilet with dry erase markers.

1 Like

I made a sticker chart for my daughter. Everyday she made it without an accident she could put a sticker on the calendar, after 5 days of being accident free she got to go to the store and get a doll. However she was 2 and a half.

1 Like

18 months is still super youngā€¦ we tried at 18 and my daughter wasnā€™t ready. Sheā€™s gonna be 2 in a month and Iā€™m gonna start trying again and hope sheā€™s not still scared of the potty.

When I worked in a day care we always said donā€™t use pull ups just buy plenty of underwear. They donā€™t like walking around in wet underwear. They do have padded underwear if you are worried about it leaking all over. Just have lots of changes of clothes ready. It rarely took more than two weeks. But you have to patient and not scold if they wet their pants just reward when they donā€™t. A reward can be simple as great job. Iā€™m proud of you. Donā€™t ever make them walk around in the wet pants change as soon as they go

Make it a big deal when she does her business stay with her as much as possible and use a potty chair that fits on toilet that how I did it reith my daughter eighteen months and potty trained oh and not a lot of liquid before bed time and I started letting her sleep in a regular bed so she could wake me if she had to go in the middle of the night good luck

Just waitā€¦ my youngest is almost 2 and I have no intentions on starting with her any time soonā€¦ Iā€™ve potty trained 2 kids already and after my last one, Iā€™m not doing that again. My son potty trained sooo easilyā€¦he was fully potty trained before he could talk. Even at night. My daughter who was talking sentences at 18 months, was not. She wasnā€™t fully trained til she was almost 4 and I started her the same age as him and the exact same way as him. I pushed her too hard before she was ready and it backfired on me. So Iā€™m not doing that with my youngest. She can let me know when sheā€™s ready and if thatā€™s not til sheā€™s 3 or so then so be it. But I refuse to stress myself trying to potty train another kid lol. Thereā€™s no rush, my advice is to just wait. Sheā€™s still a baby.

My daughters doctor said not to start until she doesnā€™t pee through the night. Sheā€™s 20 months now

1 Like

The 3 day potty training method. We started when she was 2 and a half as was aware when she peed or pooed

I take my 20m old in there with me. 9x/10 sheā€™s willing to sit on the potty. Even if sheā€™s still in her diaper, encourage it!

My girl actually learned from other children. My babysitters child was a month older than mine and was potty training and my daughter showed intrest so we just did it and she did well i think they were closer to 24months. We did not use pullups as they wick the moisture from the skin and keep things comfortable. We used training undies or just regular undies. Also when she went potty she got an M&M.

I trained my 18 month old daughter and my 3 year old boy together. We had an instant reward after a sticker for #1 and #2 3 stickersā€¦ when you get 5 stickers we had a prize box they can choose a prize a match box car, gummies, little like Polly pockets ECT. It worked for my kids. But this was a long time ago.

1 Like

When sheā€™s ready sheā€™ll let you know

3 Likes

My daughter wasnā€™t ready at 18 months. Iā€™m glad I waited until she was ready because she trained in a day(minus that weā€™re still working on poop some). She just turned 3.

make it fun. When we went through that phase we started with pull ups and gradually went to panties that she picked and she didnā€™t wanna pee on dora so she would go to the bathroom lol.

1 Like

Itā€™s the one thing they can control. It will happen when they are ready.

1 Like

I have my 14mth old in panties and taking her to her potty every 30 minutes. She goes to her potty when she has to pee. Yes we have had accidents but Iā€™m just letting her know where to go when she has to go. Sheā€™s learning. Iā€™ve never forced the potty on my kids. Introduce it to her if she takes she will do fine. I had my oldest trained at 18mths but my 2nd didnā€™t want to have anything to do with a potty until almost 3.

I always waited until my daughter was ready like til the age of 2

18 months seems young butā€¦ Donā€™t use pull-ups. Makes them think they can still pee in their pants. Go from diapers to underwear and have her sit on the potty every 2 hours. If she pees in the potty reward with stickers (no candy). If she has an accident itā€˜ll be uncomfortable but thatā€™s the only way theyā€˜ll learn. :woozy_face: had mine trained within 2 days but I waited until there were signs of readiness

1 Like

Read this first. This book helped me and many of my friends.

My kids were both toilet trained before 2ā€¦
At 18 months I started introducing the potty and made it fun, watched lots of cartoon potty videos, encouraging them to sit on it and yeah, lots of rewards :slightly_smiling_face:
Totally possible

Try the 3 day method along with the ā€œ potty watchā€ everyone says it great.

The only advice I can give. Let them train themselves. I never potty trained my kids. They did it when it they was ready. It was so easy.

6 Likes

Number one would be donā€™t force her to do it make it something fun.
Are used to take food coloring to the bathroom with me without them seeing and when I would hear them pay or they would say they paid I would lean them forward and say let me seeā€¦ then if I saw P or thought they were telling the truth about paying I would drop a couple drops of food coloring in the toilet to make it magical. ļæ¼ļæ¼ļæ¼

She is way too young now. She just might surprise you

1 Like

Iā€™d personally wait another year, unless sheā€™s pulling her nappies off. 18 months is quite young.

2 Likes

I tried my stubborn little girl at 19-20 months and it was so stressful for her, she wasnā€™t ready and after a good first day she then became scared of using the potty.

Tried again when she was 25 months and omg, the difference! Straight from day 1 she just knew what to do. I havenā€™t ā€˜trainedā€™ her, sheā€™s done it herself! We use stickers as positive reinforcement (doesnā€™t work for every child but it does for her) and out of 75 successful wees and poos on the potty we have only had 1.5 accidents (the 0.5 was when she started weeing and then realised and stopped herself so she could go and do it in the potty).

For your own sanity and the sanity of your little one I would just wait for them to be ready! No need to rush it, theyā€™re only little for so long :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I used rewards. She got a couple candies each time. First just for sitting on the potty. Then only when she would pee on the potty. Etc.

I just let mine have accidents and they hated it lol Potty training for all 3 of mine was a breeze. I absolutely know that is NOT how it goes for everyone. Just try letting them soil. It was really hard and I hated giving baths 3 times a day but it worked pretty fast. Maybe a week or so.

Send her off to hang out with a girl whoā€™s already potty trained and the same age. Let it be a long weekend sleep over or something without you there.

I put a potty chair in the bathroom. Everytime I had to go, Iā€™d announce, ā€œletā€™s go pee pee.ā€ . and Iā€™d set her on her potty, and Iā€™d just go about my business. Sometimes she went, and I made a big deal out of it. Prompting her to be excited to pottyā€¦
#2 took longer. But, same process.

2 Likes

My daughter was fully potty trained at 14 months n stubborn but she was ready

5 out of my 6 children were all fully toilet trained by 2 years old. I started them from about 16 months. I used to sit them on a potty with a few books and they would sit there and look at books. Sometimes Iā€™d read to them other times they were content to sit and look at them on their own. They would sit up to 30 minutes sometimes, other times 5 minutes. I never pushed the issue. When the day came that they did a number 1 or 2 I would praise them up, there was accidents here and there but they worked it out very quick. I would try them every half hour /hourly to start and keep it consistent. Sometimes Iā€™d walk in and they had taken their trainer knickers/ jocks off and put themselves on Potty. My son when he started he would go outside to squirt the ants lol. Some will start earlier than others, stick to it, when they are ready they will.

1 Like

You train yourself to be on a schedule at first every 20-30 minutes this trains you to be more attentive to her signals while teaching her that the potty is the acceptable place to makeā€™ depositsā€™.
If she is not quite ready your training period could be much longer than if she is.
Does she let you know when sheā€™s uncomfortable being wet or dirty? If so she may be ready to start potty training.

You train yourself to be on a schedule at first every 20-30 minutes this trains you to be more attentive to her signals while teaching her that the potty is the acceptable place to makeā€™ depositsā€™.
If she is not quite ready your training period could be much longer than if she is.
Does she let you know when sheā€™s uncomfortable being wet or dirty? If so she may be ready to start potty training.

I waited until 2-2 and half before I started so she had an idea of the concept and once I started I didnā€™t stop until she got it. If they have a quarter to a half a cup of anything then itā€™s every 10 mins you bring them to the toilet or just about 20 mins after they drink bring them to toilet. Both my girls took 2 wks :slightly_smiling_face: good luck and donā€™t give in. Wait abit longer to start tho, just slightly too young, you got this

I wouldnā€™t be in any big hurry. 18 months is pretty young. If you try to force her now, sheā€™ll just balk and hate the toilet or potty chair. I tried to start too young with my kids. It was awful. They rebelled big time. I didnā€™t get them trained till they were almost 3. Just take your time. I know diapers and pull-ups are expensive, but there are some things you just canā€™t rush.

2 Likes

I find they pretty much train themselves when they are ready! They will let you know. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Every child is differentā€¦but trying to train a child who is not ready is not only frustrating for you but can set them back from trying when they are ready.
When they start keeping themselves dry for a while is the time to start introducing the idea of going to potty
Some children train from very young , some not till their 3 yoā€¦mine pretty much trained themselves tbh. I see no point in running back and forward every 20 minutes or after every drink . Pull ups or training pants worked well for me as did sitting a potty outside and letting them empty it down a drainā€¦they were fascinated :woman_shrugging:.

My daughter is 1 week from turning 3. She just started using potty 4-5 weeks ago. She would scream everytime we tried so I never forced her. Then one day she woke up and said she wanted panties. :woman_shrugging: her pediatrician said itā€™s normally between ages 2-3 that they start and never force them. It can set them back.

You start them when theyā€™re interested and ready.

2 Likes

18 months is way to youngā€¦ can she stay dry for a few hours, stay dry at nap, can she Express she needs to go, can she take bottoms and pullup or underwear off by herself? These are signs THEY are ready. Itā€™s not when you want. Itā€™s when they Can and want to.

3 Likes

The only advice I have is if they arenā€™t into it after a while take a break from it and go back at training again after a bit more time passes. My daughter was potty trained so quickly and then my son was a whole different story lol. He ended up back in diapers for a while but, when he was ready it went super easily. Donā€™t try to force it if sheā€™s not into it because it will just be frustrating and turn into a negative experience for her. I feel like they will absolutely do it when they are ready. Good luck! :grin:

This is less about you being ready for it than it being about when sheā€™s ready.

When my girls were small, Iā€™d have their potty chair next to the toilet. When I went, theyā€™d follow. Eventually, they imitate. From them on itā€™s just repetitiveā€¦ and donā€™t shame. Praise like sheā€™s just been elected President every time she is successful tho!

I was also completely against pull-ups with mine. It was messier, but they know theyā€™re wet with underwear a lot easier.

18 months is too young. I doubt she is ready. Give her time and donā€™t worry about it

2 Likes

Took me 4 years to get my girl to poop in the toilet, she just wanted diapers :expressionless::expressionless:

Wait for her to be ready and to lead the way. It will save you so much frustration.

1 Like