How to stop nail biting?

I bite my nails from the time I had teeth until I was 19. (Sometimes still do when I’m stressed out) I got this stuff called stop nail bite at Sally’s beauty supply and it is the only thing that worked for me.

I’ve been biting my nails from kid, 36 and on. No amount of anything on my nails stopped me. It was anxiety habit. He will stop.

My mum dipped my sisters fingers in chilli powder so she’d be more aware when she bit them. She doesn’t bite no more.

Bite no more, found at Sally’s, Walmart. They have a matte finish also, very bitter

I stopped mine when I started getting my nails done. I know he’s a boy but see if they can’t put really short acrylics on to mimic what his normal nails will look like? I did that so no one knew I was wearing fake nails and it’s been working for me? But my mom used to put garlic on my fingers and I stopped for a short while…

Put pepper on his fingers won’t be chewing for long then

My daughter is 3 1/2 and I bought her chewy toys. If it’s really bad I would definitely say have him get looked at for anxiety

I used to bite my nails until my mom signed me up for soccer. Too busy to bite nails and I ended up falling in love with the sport

Clear nail polish sold at Walmart called no bite it’s a bitter taste to quit biting

Is he a loner, can he contrantrate on his favorite things way to long? Is he good at puzzles but cant pick regular things up fast? Does he hate the texture or nails? Ask him and let us know

Try Chewelry. Its a chewable necklace… We got my daughter a necklace that she chews on because she would constantly put things in her mouth out of boredom. Just watching TV or just chilling. We’re still working on it but she seems to be doing better.

I’m 22 and been doing it my whole life. I just stopped 13 days ago.

There’s a nail polish that you can put on, it’s clear and it tastes nasty! I can’t remember the name of it but I’m sure if you google you’ll find it.

I’m almost 30 and the only thing that stops me from biting mine is acrylics

It’s a sign of anxiety. My son did the same.

My baby is 3 and she is always chewing her fingernails and she bites her toenails. Is that anxiety already?

O bit my nails until they bled until.I was in Jr.Hi.then just suddenly stopped.

Sally’s hard as nails nail polish it tastes disgusting and it’s clear

Hand Sanitizer. It sounds weird but it tastes gross.

I’m 22 and still a nail bitter. It just helps with things,shoving food in front of him doesn’t help anything. He’s not biting his nails cause he’s hungry, why tf would you shove food down his throat. 🤦🤦🤷

Stop n grow worked for me as a kid little pot you put tios of fingers in and had a vile taste if I was to try and bite them

Dip his fingers in jalapeño juice and he’ll stop. Super old school trick but it works.

Chewing gum and a fidget spinner or a yo yo

My mom made me wear gloves

My 2yr old bites his nails all day long. To the point that they bleed. Both his fingers and toes. We were told it’s a Sensory issue.

Get him some kind of fidget toy

Clear finger nail polish so he taste and remember to stop

I’m almost 45… still bit my nails. I have tried everything :woman_facepalming:t3:

They have this nail “polish” that makes your nails taste like crap. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Best of luck!

It’s a symptom of anxiety, not a bad habit…worry about his anxiety, not his fingers

I’d like to know too… I’ve been biting my nails for 30 years. You don’t even know you’re doing it until you’re bleeding… it’s like a nervous twitch

He could have enormous amounts of anxiety. I still bite my nails to this day which is why I get fake nails put on. It prevents me from biting them. I would bite my nails down to the skin until I started to bleed

This stuff has been helping me. It has a really bitter, gross taste.

I’m almost 25 and I still bite my nails because of anxiety. I’ve tried everything under the sun to stop and can’t. The nasty nail gel, fidget toys, etc. Some people just do it.

I’m 32 and still suffer with this. When I was younger I tried everything I could from putting stuff on them to trying to distract my self, smacking myself lol but as an adult I still do from time to time usually when I am anxious. It’s really one nasty habit that is so hard to break. You could always try your pediatrician but don’t jump to meds or anything unless your child is displaying other signs. While it’s annoying to you and more painful for us, it’s also calming. I also started a vitamin regimen to toughen them up so they aren’t so easy to pick at and I hardly do it anymore unless I’m fidgety and then I try to get up and find something to do.

It’s definitely an anxiety problem. I’ve heard hot sauce works. Good luck

Dip the tips of his fingers in nail polish remover and let it sit for a bit and then get him to wash hands thoroughly with soap … everything washes off but the taste and smell is still there and it’s nasty ! That’s how I stopped biting mine as a recommendation from doctor

I’m a nail biter but when I get my nails done I don’t bite them because I can’t… you could get the clear powder and the liquid and then just paint it on his natural nail so it doesn’t look any different and see if that helps … otherwise when he’s watching TV make him wear gloves and give him a fidget spinner or a fidget cube for distraction

For him it’s an anxiety thing. Don’t feed him food, because he’ll eventually think food helps his anxiety and can cause weight issues. Find something else he can do with his hands. Fidgets, coloring books, drawing book, anything that causes him to need to use his hands.
I have severe anxiety, and nail biting was a bad habit I had growing up. I’ve grown mostly out of it now, and only do it once in awhile.

6 Likes

How do you feel about nail painting? Put a special cool design on 1 fingernail he can chew on all his nails but the pretty one. Then in 1 week redo the pretty nail and a 2nd nail in a new pretty design. Those 2 are now off limits for chewing. Continue weekly until all nails are painted and leave them fun designs for 1 month

I THINk its like when you stop smoking, you replace 1 bad habit with a good one. Find out what is bothering him and fix it

Very difficult my whole family bites their nails including me. My mom used to try hot sauce and cayenne pepper,nail polish removal nope never stopped. It’s a nervous reaction maybe try dealing with it that way. I have 2 children neither bite their nails.

Get him something to do instead of watching TV! Outside play, indoor board games, books…

Let me know when you figure this one out! I’m 55 and quitting smoking was easier!

1 Like

My parents got this stuff called bitter orange and you put it on there nails and it tastes absolutely disgusting when they try to bite them it worked for me. My 5 year old also bites his nails really bad and we couldn’t find bitter orange but we got some other stuff that’s for the same thing and is nasty tasting and so far it’s been working!

2 Likes

One thing you could try is to limit the activities that hes doing when he is nail biting. From what I read, it is when he is sedentary. It’s not his mouth that needs to be busy. It’s his hands and his mind. Try keeping him moving as much as possible. I keep seeing anxiety and other emotional issues. I’m not too sure I would label him as having an issue too quickly. Sometimes things are simply a habit. I dont know. I’m not a professional, just a suggestion.

25 here and still do it​:upside_down_face: I too have tried everything but still can’t stop. I’ve always wanted pretty nails but it ain’t gonna happen :pleading_face: both my kids do it as well

1 Like

Following because my 8yr old has been doing it for at least a yr now

I’m a nail biyer. Especially during movies. I crochet keep my hands busy. Gotta keep his hands busy

Nail biting is a sign if anxiety which isn’t something that simply goes away. I chewed my nails raw until I was put on mood stabilizers. Now as long I keep my nails trimmed, I’m able to stop biting them though I still tear at my cuticles. Again, why I try to keep my nails trimmed as short as possible.

Try fidget toys, in my experience nail biting while being sat still is usually something called stimming, fidget toys will give him the same effect he’s getting from biting his nails xx

nail biter here. mine was due to anxiety. on medication now so it helps the urge. but i used finger nail polish remover…horrible taste. been told hot sauce and other things were used as well.

You might wanna try that polish stuff that tastes terrible when you try chewing on em I forgot what it’s called to

3 Likes

This type of product. (Can’t remember the actual brand my mother bought) It’s stopped me, my sister, and my uncle from biting our nails. It works as long as it’s applied regularly to help keep the icky taste on the nails! They also have no nausea and no stomach upset ones too.

This worked to get my daughter to stop biting her nails a couple years ago.

Try some fidget toys they are designed for idle hands and help with all kinds of stuff!

Mayyyybe he has anxiety.

This was the only thing that ever helped me

1 Like