How to transition from 2 to 3 kids?

How did you moms go from 2 to 3 kids? Looking at age gaps of 4 and 2 months and hopefully have a third when our baby is around 18 months to 2. My husband is also going out of town to work, which means he will only be home 144 days for the next two years doing a job that requires almost 100% travel. In the hopes, we can relocate somewhere new.

18 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to transition from 2 to 3 kids? - Mamas Uncut

My 3rd is almost 1 month and the hardest part is around homework time my kids are 6 and just 2 and a half. You really just need a schedule and you’ll be fine.

My first and second are 3 years apart. My second and third are 4 1/2 years apart. They’re now 9, 6, and 19 months. Honestly the transition wasn’t too bad. The hardest part was trying to do something with the older two and the baby crying. Luckily with mine being older they were already pretty independent and could get their own drinks and snacks etc. I like the age gap and my 6 year old has always been very helpful so that helped too. It’s still a struggle for me when I take them all places alone tho lol. Once I got the baby on a schedule to match the other two it got a lot easier.

1 Like

You find a way. It will always be harder in the beginning no matter how many you have. But once your through the infant stage it gets so much easier mine are 15,8,2 and 5 months. Just find ways when your hubs is home to have a nice bathe or read a book. Maybe take up a hobby it has helped me so much with the mental and emotional side of things and also find a baby sitter or friend family to help with kids for a break when hubs can’t be there.

I have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old & just had a baby last week. The transition wasn’t that hard !

I wouldn’t plan to have a baby that close together especially when your husband is going to be gone alot. Maybe plan for a baby after you move. I have a 17 month old a 5 yr old and a 15 yr old I could not imagine having a baby right now. It will be very hard having them that close even if your husband was home everyday.

My oldest is 15, 14, 11, 10, 7 and 9 months, it’s a big change but pretty easy. Just a lot of running and going non stop lol

1 Like

Adding a second is so much harder, in my opinion. I’ve got 5 girls 5 & under, it’s literally just grabbing extra baby stuff when shopping. Not too much of a difference.

IMO going from 2-3 was hard. Now I have 4.

1 Like

I had a three year old a two year old and a newborn baby… I coped because I had a very good routine

My kids are all within 2 yrs of each other… the biggest gap I have is between my first and youngest with it being 4 yrs apart

My first and second are 19 months apart. Was a great age gap. My second and third are 8 YEARS apart. That age gap is huge but really nice as you don’t have a lot of kids in diapers at the same time lol. My third and fourth are 17 months apart. It’s been fantastic for an age group like the first two

My kids are 5 and 3 years apart my oldest is 11 my middle is 6 and youngest is 3

The transition wasn’t that hard

1 Like

Why would you have another baby if you have no idea if you can handle it ?

3 Likes

It will be ok. I have 14,12,11,8,5 and 19 mo.God doesn’t give u more than u can handle.

3 Likes

I went from 1 to 3 kids. And I’ll tell you, that was a trip.

I think going from 2-3 will be easier especially from what I’ve gathered from fellow mamas/ papas/ caregivers etc

My oldest will be 6 in a few months this and my twins turn 2 in a few months. So we have that same 4 year gap.

I am so happy with this gap though. It made a lot of things easier and he’s a great big brother.

Also a plus was that he started kindergarten which was helpful for the day to day with the twins

1 Like

I have a 4 year old, a 21 month old and a 5 month old. Honestly going from 1-2 was harder for me than 2-3. My oldest is a huge help and keeps the second child pretty busy- allowing me a lot of time with the 5 month old. I bathe the older 2 ever other night and I bathe the 5 month old on the off days in the morning- while my oldest is at school :heart: dinner time gets hairy sometime just because my husband works long days usually leaving me to solo parent during the week. We also have a lot of animals so everyone needs to be fed, dinner needs to be made…then I put everyone to bed and clean up the kitchen :woman_facepalming:t3: 4pm- 8pm is my “shit show time” lol but everyday I somehow manage- some days smoother than others :heart: you’ll manage! It’s fun chaos! I love it even when its challenging!

1 Like

I waited until both the older 2 were in school then had my 3rd and 4th and then waited until my 4th was in school and had my 5th lol

I don’t know from experience but I’ve been told going from 1 to 2 is the hardest not 2-3. Im going from 1 to 2 and it will be interesting for sure.

I have a 16 year old, an 8 year old and a 4 year old (special needs child) and I’m planning on another one

Try to get everyone down for naps together including yourself while the baby is new

1 Like

I have a 5 yr old, 2.5 year old and 18 month old … the transition from 2 to 3 is fine… Once you have two, it’s not so bad.

3 Likes

I have 5.
3-12-2014
4-10-2015
3-26-2017
12-16-2020
1-13-2022

My second doesn’t live with me but man, these girls drive me crazy lol my baby is the only boy in the house whereas my oldest boy, I have no clue. It is easy as long as you don’t think about it too much.

There’s really no method. It’s like winging it for a little to see what works best for you and your family. You’ll get the hang of it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You will be fine. My kids are 2 38yo, 34yo, 32yo all girls. 26 yo and 20yo boys. And yes, the 20yo is an ooops baby.

I have 4 kids and they are all 2 years apart. It gets hard but so well worth it after they get a little independence and learn to play with each other

You’ll be completely fine.

You just learn to wing it

I found the hard 1 was from 1 to 2. 2 to 3 seemed just natural to be honest. Mine are 12 10 and 8 now :slightly_smiling_face:

A day at a time. You will be a single parent for the most part

Sad your husband is not home more but I hope maybe you have some family or good friends to help you out occasionally. I’m praying for you and your family.

I have 3 kids, each 2 years and 4 months apart from each other. It was definitley harder going from 1-2 than 2-3.

Just realize that you are going from one one on defense- to a zone defense. There will be things you did before (with 2) that aren’t even manageable with 3 in thay age group. And that’s OK! It is different. But it will be ok. Take some time before #3 arrives and talk stategy with the hubby. Maybe a nanny is too much- but a highschooler down the street can be really helful getting everyone dressed and loaded in the car. (Also to point out when you have baby vomit on your clothes). Have thise groceries delivered mama! There is no reason to shop with 3 kiddos. There are pleasant people that will do that for you! I am a mom of 5. Let me know if you would like more ideas! I’ve got’em!

I went from 1 to 3 kids in 15
Months. My son was 6 months old when I got
Pregnant with my twins.

My kids are 12, 10
And 10 now: my oldest just turned 12 and my twins will be 11 in May.

It’s not hard at all. Our oldest three were born in four years. I kept everyone on a schedule, we played together and enjoyed our days. Having a routine has always made things so much easier for me.

I have 4… the older 3 are 2ish yes apart and the 4th is 6yrs from the3rd.
You rest when they are resting and do your best. Some days are total chaos and you do one thing at a time til nap and then breathe… then do it again til bedtime. You got this, it just figured itself out day by day.

There is no secret formula or cheat code that will ensure the transition goes smoothly. For some, it’s a breeze. For others, like me, it’s utter chaos. I had a complicated pregnancy, baby 3 was jaundiced and had colic, and I had serious PPD. It was awful. But I reached out for support and took things a day at a time. Eventually, everyone adjusted. Mine were 9 and 6 when my youngest was born and we’re a military family so my spouse was frequently gone for training or TDY assignments. It was often overwhelming to have more kids than hands.

You deal with the now… and as things come up… one step at a time… flow with the river… not push against the current