I am pregnant and my boyfriend refuses to change the cat litter: Advice?

So I have always been a cat mom. I have three beautiful kitties that I love and just found out I was pregnant with my first child. I told my boyfriend that I could not change the cat litter anymore, and he told me that he also was not going to touch it because they were my cats and not his. What do I do? I know you cannot be around cat litter when you are pregnant, and my boyfriend is incredibly selfish. Do I rehome my cats? I am just worried about my baby.

1 Like

I work in the vet field and was pregnant. I was told I couldn’t change the litter in cats there but my own cats were fine since I live with them and have been around them before I got pregnant. It’s not that big of an issue. Just wear gloves and a mask. And talk to your doctor about it. My midwife was also the one to tell me it wasn’t that big of a deal since they’re my cats and I live with them. Also, I’d rehome the boyfriend who’s not willing to help out before re-homing my cats.

2 Likes

Gloves mask take the whole thing outside and do a full dump. Then you won’t be in an enclosed space doing it and will do it less.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I am pregnant and my boyfriend refuses to change the cat litter: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

I’d rehome him :woman_shrugging:t4: what a jerk !

12 Likes

Have A friend help you and save the fight

3 Likes

Maybe put a mask on? I changed my kitty litter both times I was pregnant

9 Likes

What about the electric litter box ?

5 Likes

Earsel Lee Vance how funny.

You can get natural litter that is less harmful while pregnant.
Don’t rehome them, they did nothing wrong, rehome him. Asap

10 Likes

I wore a mask my asshole husband did the same thing… happily on my way to divorcing him now :rofl::rofl:

I change mine while pregnant cause my hushed won’t either

He’s a ass, but I wore a face mask when I would change my cats litter.

Get a automatic one that scoops it

2 Likes

You can change the litter box.

2 Likes

Re-home the boyfriend

16 Likes

You can do it yourself still :woman_facepalming:t3: They’re your cats. Used Litter is disgusting and especially when the cats don’t even belong to you

4 Likes

I would say have a family member or friend do it but that’s only going to fix a small problem of a much BIGGER picture

Wear a mask and wash your hands well after you change it.
I’ve always scooped my boxes, no one else to do it.
I did let me doctor know and she said a mask and good hand washing were fine.

9 Likes

Put gloves and a mask on and change the litter box.
Also, drop the guy if he wants to be so selfish.

15 Likes

I changed the litter box when I was pregnant. Just dump it outside or in a well ventilated area.

1 Like

Of the cats are only indoors you do not have a issue. Talked to my ob. Who had me talk to our vet.

4 Likes

I changed my litter boxes while I was pregnant. I wore gloves and a mask.

5 Likes

Rehome the man… lol… use gloves and a mask and be extra careful.

9 Likes

Tell him to chip in or get out cause your not his momma

2 Likes

Boyfriend sounds like an ass! Wear gloves and mask

It’s a preview of him never changing diapers. If u stay with him… prepare yourself for that

13 Likes

Wear a mask and glovex

2 Likes

Pregnant women do it themselves all the time. Just wear gloves and a mask and you’ll be fine!

4 Likes

It’s actually not a huge deal especially if you’ve been around cats for awhile. I get your concern but both my children are fine and I was the only one in the household willing to do it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Put a mask on or rehome. Not everyone is an animal person and he’s telling you he won’t do it. I think that should be respected as well. You can’t make him do it or make him want to and you shouldn’t be mad about it.

20 Likes

Well they aren’t his. I have 3 dogs I wanted and was told if we got them it was on me. So I take care of them.

2 Likes

I don’t blame him cause I can’t stand cats either :joy::joy::joy: honestly if I had to I would do it for my significant other. But you’re perfectly fine to change the cat litter while you’re pregnant. Get rid of that cat shit girl :joy:

You are having a child with this person ? Good luck with that.

6 Likes

I changed kitty litter during all 3 of my pregnancies and never had an issue. Just make sure you wash your hands really good

7 Likes

No, you need to rehome your boyfriend!

14 Likes

Slap him amd make him do it

1 Like

If he won’t change the litter now just imagine how much help he’ll be once you have that baby :woman_facepalming:t3:

8 Likes

There are also disposable litter boxes that you can buy until your pregnancy is over.

1 Like

My husband was deployed my last pregnancy; I wore a mask and then tied a scarf over the mask then washed my hands really well. I didn’t have a choice and I couldn’t very well get rid of my daughters cat over something temporary.

1 Like

He definitely knows nothing about what’s unsafe for pregnant women. Huge red flag.

3 Likes

You can have all the cats tested for toxoplasmosis, which is actually what they’re worried about most that may be in the cat litter.

1 Like

Can you re-home the boyfriend?

16 Likes

If he won’t change cat liter he sure won’t change a diaper. Rehome the bf

27 Likes

You can change the litter box. Put gloves on and after you clean the litter box wash ur hands. Im with ur bf on this I wouldnt clean the litter box. I have a cat myself and I told my kids before we got the kitten they would have to clean the litter box because I cant do it. If they didnt clean it we would have to rehome the kitten.

Sounds like you are going to be changing all the diapers too😒

2 Likes

I am 37 weeks and still do mine. Just wear gloves and a mask and wash your hands well when done.

2 Likes

No you don’t rehome a cat because of that. You change the boxes if he won’t. I have two cats and two litter boxes and I change the sometimes when my husband don’t (I’m also pregnant). I use gloves and a mask. Your BD is a selfish ass.

I did lots of cat litter while pregnant. Just get some paper masks and wear it. Wash your hands afterwards, if you aren’t already. It is no big deal. And we had 4 cats. And pretty much your boyfriend is an ahole. Bet he won’t change a diaper either.

3 Likes

I changed my cats while pregnant just cover your nose and mouth so you don’t inhale a larger portion of the particals. My daughter came out just fine too happy, healthy, and smart.

Some of y’all are dramatic
If this post was opposite and she didn’t wanna do it would be get rid of his cats
The American double standard is sad

6 Likes

Tell him cat pop could kill babies or give them schizophrenia

Girl, same here. Just use some gloves and a mask…

3 Likes

As long as you’re in a well ventilated area you should be fine girl

1 Like

So how does he feel about changing dirty diapers :smirk: Yes, you can still
bend over and change it yourself and he can too!

What a selfish ***hole, this is his unborn child’s health and safety. On the other hand, I cleaned litter boxes with two of my pregnancies without gloves or masks and everything was fine. Just be sure to wash your hands when done.

1 Like

It’s the feces filled dust.
We are just (hopefully) coming out of a pandemic where you had to wear a mask.
I’m sure you have 1/2 dozen of them lying around.
Put it on, change the litter
**Have a heart to heart about changing diapers

I changed and cleaned my litter box when I was pregnant and everything was just fine!

Re home him and the cats

3 Likes

Ewww what a douche bag!!:face_vomiting:wear gloves and a mask I guess if you really have to do it. But definitely Talk to your doctor first

buy one of those automatic ones then gown up with N95 mask and gloves and prepare for dealing with a jerk the for the next 18 yrs… words of advice from a old lady. No one with any self respect stays in love with someone who doesn’t love them back for very long… tell this guy it could harm and effect the baby

“Since oocysts are transmitted by ingestion, in order to contract toxoplasmosis, a woman would have to make contact with contaminated feces in the litter box and then, without washing her hands, touch her mouth or otherwise transmit the contaminated fecal matter to her digestive system.”

3 Likes

I changed the boxes all 3 of my pregnancies. Washed hands after. I would never give my cats up.

3 Likes

Just use a mask and some gloves and wash your hands afterwards… it’s not that big of a deal

Rehome the boyfriend

14 Likes

My doctor told me it’s not really a worry unless the cats were outdoor cats :woman_shrugging:t2: I just wear a mask as a precaution

If your cats are not outdoor cats, you can do it yourself. :woman_shrugging:t2: Toxoplasmosis is mostly a concern with outdoor cats and the potential to scratch you with god knows what on their paws.

Mask up. Glove up. And maybe instead of sifting use a bag inside under the litter so you can grab and dump instead

I think it’s only a big issue when the cats are outside too. If they are always inside the house I think it’s safe. But I’m not 100% on that.

What’s he gonna do when the baby poops? Say you had it so it’s your problem?
He needs to grow up.

2 Likes

If he can’t change the litter, what hope do you have of him changing bubs nappy? Because once they start solids…

I’d rehome the boyfriend :rofl:

But seriously wear gloves and a mask. And wash your hands after as a precaution. You should be fine.

rehome the boyfriend.

Then get rid of the cats!

I’ve changed the box and litter several times over my six pregnancies… just wash ur hands and don’t touch the crap. It’s really not that big of a deal… but he does need rehomed… no reason to be so unsupportive

4 Likes

My husband was deployed 7 out of the 9 months I was pregnant and 5 weeks after birth.

No choice but to change it myself.

And I had no choice with my other 2 kids either.

My docs has 0 issue with it.

The concern is toxoplasmosis. I’ve had cats my entire life. I’ve had other animals such as ferrets and rabbits who are also potential toxoplasmosis carriers. I’ve changed the cat litter throughout all my pregnancies without issue. Im considered low risk because I’ve been likely exposed many times already.

1 Like

Keep the cats, get rid of the boyfriend :laughing:

3 Likes

I didn’t even know this was a thing lol

Re-home your boyfriend.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this was meant to be a debate on if he’s right or wrong… but you can keep your kitties and safely clean the box yourself if he doesn’t want to do it. Do some research and keep safe. Good luck mama :two_hearts:

2 Likes

No you don’t rehome the cats that’s way selfish of you!:angry: You rehome the boyfriend duh!

3 Likes

Ask the doctor about it in front of him

1 Like

Use disposable pans. Or get the plastic bag liners, wear a mask.
But personally I’d get rid of the boyfriend… find your self a real man….

2 Likes

Some boy friend what kind of a dad will he be

6 Likes

Wear a mask and gloves and wash hands well afterwards. That’s the recommendation for pregnant women if you can’t avoid changing the litter. And make sure to scoop it every day and change whole box at least weekly cause the bacteria that can make you sick takes a while to develop so if you stay on top of it and keep it clean you’ll be ok.

4 Likes

Take him to the doctors with you and let him hear it from the doctor he probably thinks your making it up. If he still refuses then run if he can’t do that forget about diapers spit up all that good stuff coming your way. You don’t have to like animals to care about your unborn child’s health and well-being.

Wear a mask and gloves. Wash hands after. You should be fine. I did it while pregnant. No concerns.

2 Likes

I cleaned the cat litter with both pregnancies

I am a nurse. You can change the litter box you just need to wear a mask and wash your hands after.

4 Likes

I’ve always changed my litter when I was pregnant, and never a problem! You can always buy some rubber gloves and wash hands afterwards!

1 Like

Find a new boyfriend, it will only go downhill from now on.

3 Likes

Rehome the boyfriend :tipping_hand_woman:

14 Likes

If he became paralyzed for the rest of his life and couldn’t change his cat litter, would you change it if you didn’t have to?? I mean he obviously can’t be pregnant but it’s a meh

Re-home the boyfriend not the cats.

6 Likes

Get rid of the boyfriend

7 Likes

I got so sick from kitty litter when pregnant next time he comes to a drs appt ask the dr and when they say how dangerous it is ask and say i thought so but he wont change it so im worried maybe the dr will give him a reality check

3 Likes

If he won’t help the cats or other household chores he probably won’t be much help with the baby either….

3 Likes

Petsmart has a self cleaning litter box. It’s a bit pricey but worth it! All you have to do is remove the tray and replace it! The trays are pricey as well but that way you won’t have to get rid of your cats just because you are pregnant it’s not their fault. I change mine and I’m pregnant as well. You will be fine wear a mask and put on some gloves.

1 Like

Gloves, mask, soap and water. You can if that’s what it comes down to.