I am pregnant and my boyfriend refuses to change the cat litter: Advice?

Take it to a good ventilated area, use mask and gloves. You shall be fine :slightly_smiling_face:

If he canā€™t simply change the kitty litter box, I wonder what he will be like when it comes to diaper changing :thinking:
The littlethings matterā€¦

12 Likes

I also was pregnant and had a cat i just used 2 masks to change itā€¦my baby was fine

You can still scoop & change the litterā€¦wear a mask (Iā€™m sure you probably have plenty of those! Ha). I did when I was pregnant and have 3 beautiful, healthy kids!

1 Like

If your cats are indoor itā€™s very unlikely they could have toxoplasmosis anyway. But to be extra safe, wear gloves and wash your hands well after šŸ¤· not that serious.

6 Likes

Gloves and mask, not a big deal. Definitely shouldnā€™t get rid of your catsā€¦ maybe the baby daddy but not the cats

18 Likes

Cleaned litter trays all my pregnancies, my cats and all my fosters. You are fine, just wash your hands a little longer than you would usually. Then maybe find out what else the boyfriend wonā€™t be cleaning/touching in the future once your child arrivesā€¦.

8 Likes

Throw on some gloves and scoop the poopā€‹:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Wear a double mask or buy a self cleaning litter box to make you come less in contact.

Also stop doing his laundry and only cook for your self.

9 Likes

Everyone that is saying that you should rehome your boyfriend is wrong. Re-gifting trash isnā€™t nice.

19 Likes

Ur bf sucks. Use gloves.

1 Like

Selfishness destroys relationships, get rid of him

Wear a mask? If heā€™s not even helping your well-being now I feel sorry for you when that baby comes. He sounds very selfish. Definitely keep the cats over him :rofl:

9 Likes

Wear a mask and gloves while changing the litter. Always wash your hands. I had cats through 5 pregnancies amd never an issue.

3 Likes

Uhm I would definitely not rehire the cats and regime the boyfriendā€¦ (obviously thatā€™s not the smartest idea since heā€™s the father of your baby) but itā€™s been side in above commentsā€¦. If heā€™s acting this way before baby is here then itā€™s only going to get worse and worseā€¦ā€¦ itā€™s not the fact that they are his cats but itā€™s that fact that itā€™s dangerous for the mother of his child and his growing child for you to change the litter, so he need to grow some balls and change the littler for a few monthsā€¦ā€¦

I changed mine. Just wear gloves and wash well afterwards.

1 Like

Only here for the comments Iā€™m dying

4 Likes

My daughter had 2 cats. After having a micro preemie, baby in hospital for months and therapies 4 days a week, my daughter just didnt have time or energy to clean litter boxes. Having a special needs child takes all you have to give.

I had 7 major surgeries in the same number of years. I was just not able to deal with two litter boxes. No one else in the house took responsibility. I finally got everyone to agree that the cats had to go. It was time.

I wear a mask a gloves to change our cats litter box. My fiance wonā€™t do it cause his stomach is weak. I did it during my first pregnancy and I still do it and Iā€™m pregnant with baby #2

1 Like

Adios mo fo!! Is he not going to change diapers too?!?

2 Likes

What kind of shit is this?? Girl, go clean the damn litterbox. :woman_facepalming:t4: just because your pregnant doesnā€™t mean your man becomes your slave.

Wear gloves, and if it makes you feel safer, wear a mask.

You can safely change the litter yourself with gloves and even a mask! Which should be easy enough for you to do to keep your kitties! But Iā€™m just saying if your boyfriend makes you go through with doing that while youā€™re pregnant with his childā€¦ Iā€™d seriously re-home him back to his motherā€™s house!šŸ¤· Good luck :heart:

6 Likes

Id rehome the boyfriend :sweat_smile:
But Iā€™m pregnant and my husband is military and gone a lot, so I clean with gloves and a mask!

2 Likes

Rehome the boyfriend

2 Likes

Omg. Just change the cats litter and wash your hands when youā€™re done. Youā€™re pregnant, not handicapped. You can still continue your life normally and take care of your own petsā€¦ :woman_facepalming:

11 Likes

You need gloves, a mask, and some poison spray to get rid of the manā€¦ just some gloves should do for that kitty poo tho.

4 Likes

Wear a mask. The only issue with the cat litter is something that outdoor cats catch. Mine were raised and stayed inside so I changed the litter with mine. Just wore a mask and washed hands very well mainly because of the cat urine

3 Likes

Rehome the boyfriend!

5 Likes

Keep the cats. Just wear a mask and gloves. I cleaned litter boxes with both of my pregnancies and both kids are fine.

2 Likes

You can change the litter !

If youā€™re super worried you can wear a cloth mask too. No risk as long as you wash!!

1 Like

I changed the cat litter when I was pregnant. Why canā€™t u

Umm. Your cats you change their sh** boxā€¦
Wear gloves if need be.

7 Likes

Girl good luck getting him to do anything with the baby! Heā€™s gonna say itā€™s ā€œyoursā€ too!

6 Likes

When I was pregnant, I just put something over my face and all good

Your pregnant not broken

1 Like

Same tho lol . I did it my whole pregnancy. Just wear gloves wash your hands and possibly wear mask if possible AND he does help me with our daughter lol. He just donā€™t fw with the cat liter

3 Likes

You can still do it. Just wash your hands well afterwards. Hopefully the hubs grows up before the baby comes - as a parent it is no longer your needs/wants that come first. He has a rude awakening coming!

Then change your boyfriend. :rofl:

4 Likes

Mine never did for any 3 of mine, and theyā€™re all a ok if that makes you feel any better. Try to hold your breath or pull shirt over face

Rehome his ass well youā€™re at it. Its his baby and that is one of the most selfish things he could do. Endanger his own child, despicable

Do not re-home your cats. He needs to step up and be a man (and future father) I assume

Selfish Iā€™d say he cares more about himself than his child you are carrying

4 Likes

WELL sweetie, thats a CLEAR indication that the Health of His baby isnā€™t important to him. In my opinion its also a Huge red flag of the Father he isnā€™t going to be. I would wear a mask and gloves .

4 Likes

Rehome the self-centered boyfriendā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

17 Likes

They are your cats not his. Put a mask and gloves on and do it yourself. I donā€™t feel that itā€™s fair to be mad at him cause he doesnā€™t want to scoop crap.

6 Likes

Sounds like they are your cats so change the litter, wash your hands. Obviously he doesnā€™t care for them, and you know it.

Gloves and mask. Throw the bf out with the shit

Haha good luck with nappies too thenā€¦.

I use to have cats cover your
Faceā€¦ and get rid of the man !

3 Likes

Iā€™d rehome the boyfriend

5 Likes

I have 2 kids. I changed litter every day and cleaned out the box holders once a week. wear gloves, wash your hands and donā€™t lick the litter box. youā€™ll be fine.

9 Likes

Wash your hands really well- wear disposable gloves and wash your hands would be a double way of protection. I tell my daughter when she changes it to wash her hands every time. Toxoplasmosis is not a light thing.

Just tell him if he doesnā€™t thereā€™s going to be cat piss and shit all over his stuff jkā€‹:joy::woman_shrugging: you can wear a mask too itā€™s just the inhaling of the litter thatā€™s the issue. Iā€™ve made it threw 3 pregnancies now and have changed out the litter box throughout them all. Just take extra precautions

I did it when pregnantā€¦face covering and gloves and wash hand thoroughly. Iā€™d hate to see how he is about helping to change diapers and feed the baby when he or she comes.

2 Likes

If itā€™s his baby tell him to put his big boy pants on and do it. Is he going to not change the babyā€™s diaper either?

Just make sure you wash your hands

Use gloves and wash your hands.

Lol.

Iā€™m 30 and have three children. I ask have five cats. I never stopped cleaning their boxes. I wear a mask and gloves with zero issue. The concern is toxoplasmosis but unless your cats have it (which it would be VERY obvious if they did) there is nothing risky about changing and cleaning their boxes.

1 Like

I always did . Wear a mask and gloves if he wants to be a child. If that is how your future childā€™s father acts now , wait until the baby comes !

4 Likes

I changed my cats litter box when pregnantā€¦no problems!

Since youā€™ve been around cats for many years before your pregnancy then youā€™ll be fine changing the litter box

2 Likes

When I was pregnant with both of my children I changed our cats litter box because my fiance has NEVER cleaned it and I didnā€™t expect him too since they have always been mine

I would rehome the boyfriend. What a jerk. Even though theyā€™re your cats, itā€™s 9 months of his life. It shows a level of selfishness that will just carry over with kids.

6 Likes

Re-home the boyfriend and hire someone once or twice a week or if they are strictly indoor and have the vaccines gloves and a mask

1 Like

The only time youā€™d get sick from it is if you have outside cats that caught a certain bacteria, otherwise thereā€™s no actual risk.

2 Likes

Re-home the boyfriend!

5 Likes

Wear a mask and gloves

i was told with my first pregnancy never touch or go near the litter or change it after the fact of couple times did because didnt know at the time and i never did after that because of toxoplasmosis

I changed my cats litter boxes during both of my pregnancies - Just wash your hands really well and if you feel more comfortable, wear a bandanna or mask while doing so.

I had to clean the litter boxes while pregnant. I just wore gloves and washed my hands afterwards. But I would definitely wear a mask too for double safety.

Wear a mask and gloves and wash your hands really good , I changed all the cat boxes when I was pregnant with all my kids .

1 Like

You can buy automatic cat litter box and find a new boyfriend.

2 Likes

Rehome the boyfriend!!

1 Like

Wear a mask. I have 3 cats and Iā€™m 30 weeks pregnant I just wear a mask.

Re-home the boyfriend.

3 Likes

Just be sure to wash your hands well and clean the litter box daily. The toxoplasma parasite does not become infectious until 1-5 after being shed in the cats feces. So as long as you are being cautious (you can even wear a mask, gloves) just be sure to wash you hands well and clean the box daily.

1 Like

I cleaned it while pregnant without any issues. Wear a mask and gloves, voila!

I changed my cat litter when I was pregnant. With both my kids and I never had any issues. As long as you use a scoop and wash your hands after. I donā€™t see the big deal.

Wear a mask and gloves. Wash your hands when youā€™re done. Donā€™t be one of those pregnant women that canā€™t do anything. Thatā€™s annoying af

3 Likes

Ew sorry for his lack of 50% 50%

Rehome the man child and then wear gloves and a mask and clean it yourself. Itā€™s a risk but not one worth getting rid of the cats. Itā€™s very rare and a specific bacteria

3 Likes

I really is a myth I had two kids n changed litter it does not causes issues

2 Likes

Wear a mask and gloves

Wear a mask and gloves when you do it. Then wash your hand afterwards. I done it when I was pregnant and didnt even wear make and gloves. I think as long as you donā€™t touch you will be fine

1 Like

Remove & Rehome the so called boyfriendā€¦Sounds like ur gonna have 2 kids when the baby comes

4 Likes

Re-home the boyfriend

3 Likes

Were gloves if so worried

Rehome the BF. :wink: Just kidding, have your OB explain all the risks of changing/cleaning out the litter box to him. Maybe that will help him to understand what risk it puts you and baby at.

1 Like

He should do itā€¦ buuut you can change it if you used gloves and mask for extra protection
And wash hands after (: congratulations BTW! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I worked at an animal shelter my entire first pregnancy. Youā€™ll be okay to change it. But also, he sounds like a douche canoe. You need to level up. :heart:

6 Likes

Ok-so-
1- throw out the bf-if he cant help with litter to help keep u n baby healthy- BOI Bye!
Simple task-if he cant help with it is he gna be like that with baby reaponsibilities?!

2- wear gloves and a mask and u should be fine!

3 Likes

You should probably take this as a heads up on your relationship with this guy. Sounds pretty Fā€™kn childish to me. Got a hunch you picked wrong one to share parenthood with.

3 Likes

Re- home boyfriend!!

6 Likes

they sell a automatic one

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t change it either.

Just change it it is ok

I wore gloves and a mask

2 Likes

My bf was the same way so I used an N95 mask and gloves. After I washed my hands/arms and didnā€™t have any issues.

3 Likes

If you had the cats prior to pregnancy and they are strictly indoor cats your risk of toxoplasmosis is relatively low. They get it from rodents, so if they arenā€™t catching and eating infected rodents you should be fine. Wear gloves and a mask that you can throw away, clean the box in a well ventilated area, and wash your hands properly afterwards.

3 Likes